PDA

View Full Version : hi garth brooks told me to come here

alexk
01-12-2003, 04:35 PM
hi my name is alex and i got to meet garth brooks a couple of weeks ago. school was out for the holiday and my mom and i were doing errands in tulsa and we stopped to have lunch. we were waiting for our table and out walks garth brooks and some other guy. my mom freaked out she loves country music and she loves him. he lives in oklahoma now too but she's never met him. he saw my mom freaking out and came over to talk to her. she babbled for a while about how much she loves him it was kinda embarrassing. he asked me my name and what year i was in. i told him i didn't like country music but i thought his song friends in low places was really cool. my mom about died. so i told him my friends and i don't listen to country music and i asked if he had a website where i could learn more about him. he told me he didn't ever make a website but one of his fans had made him a one called planetgarth and that they knew more about him here than he knew about himself lol. i told him i want to do something with computers and he said he didn't like them much so he'd let computer people do websites and they let him sing. he told me i should go to college and mom told him she hopes i go to k-state like she did and he told her osu was a good school. by now a buncha people had come over and they started asking for autographs but he asked my mom if she wanted anything signed first. all she had was some sticky notes in her purse so he signed one to her that said to barbara god bless garth brooks. a couple of other people were holding things out for him to sign so we left and he called out bye alex, you study hard and go to college like your mom wants ok? it was kinda embarrassing but kinda cool too.

so that's my story, garth told me to come here so i did. it's a cool site but i couldn't find any picutres of him in oklahoma in the photo section. i bet there are lots of people around here that have picutres of him, there's a bunch hanging in stores and restarants and stuff. bye.

Snow
01-12-2003, 04:48 PM
Hi Alex!

Thanks for stopping by to visit and I hope you'll be by again! Listen to your mom and Garth and do what you need to do to get that college education. :)

I think if you look through some of the threads here, you'll find some pictures that people have attached of Garth outside of his home in Oklahoma.

Take care!
Deb

garthgirl50
01-12-2003, 04:59 PM
Very cool Alex. I would love to have been in both yours and your moms place that day. I too love Garth and miss him terribly. Hopefully, someday he will decide he can make music again and come back to us.

Sara_Kwan
01-12-2003, 06:10 PM
Welcome to PlanetGarth, Alex! i'll be going to college next year, right now i'm finishing my last year of high school (finally!) and i really can't wait to go. it's good to hear that you're interested in studying computers in college. maybe we'll see each other some time in the course of the next few years. :)

Peace & Love
-Sara

Garth_FANtasizer
01-12-2003, 06:40 PM
Welcome to PG, Alex!

How very :cool: that Garth sent you to us! We probably do know more about Garth than he does (or at least more than he remembers,) except we can't get it out of him what brand of cologne he wears. He's keeping that a secret! We're working on it! ;)

It was so sweet of him to approach you and your mom like that. I bet your mom has already called OSU! :))

If you have any questions, just ask away! We love to talk about Garth! Tell your Mom to come and join us too!

~Ann~

Nadine Overbeck
01-12-2003, 06:58 PM
Welcome to PG Alex! Garth was right this is a great place with a great bunch of people. Definitly go to college, my daughter starts Jan 22 and it seems like a dream come true. She has worked so hard for this. What a cool way to be introduced to Garth. Got to say I am jealous. Good luck with school. :)
Nadine

Garthmedic
01-12-2003, 07:06 PM
Great story! Welcome to PG!

--spud--:)

RckyMtnGirl@hrt
01-12-2003, 08:24 PM
Welcome to the Planet Alex. :) Very cool story. Thanks for sharing. Hope you will stick around, and tell your mom to drop in too. And, your mom and Garth gave some good advice. :)

CC

Monica Lockhart
01-12-2003, 09:28 PM
Welcome to Planet Garth Alex!

What a cool story!

Thanks for sharing it with us and for dropping by. We hope you decide to stick around... and yes, tell your Mom to join us too!

Monica

Paula
01-12-2003, 10:11 PM
Welcome to PG! Thanks for sharing your story with us. We love to hear about Garthmoments.

Hope to see you back here...and tell your mother she would fit right in with us here.

Paula

ProducerJ
01-13-2003, 12:11 AM
Hey Alex - we're glad you stopped in to say hi! I'm sure Garth appreciates you listening to him. :)

Tell your mom to come on over and join the party! :)
J.

GRTH FAN
01-13-2003, 12:59 AM
That is very COOL Alex! Thanks for telling your story! It was your Moms duty to get so excited over such a GREAT THING!!! Way to go MOM!!!
Donna :);)

PJ
01-13-2003, 09:28 AM
Just wanted to add my welcome to Alex as well! Nice to know that Garth thinks us folks here at the Planet from time to time. :D So, may I ask what restaurant you were eating at when you saw him?

Jude
01-13-2003, 02:52 PM
Alex, welcome to Planet Garth. Hope you and your mum do visit us often.

Jude

Vanessa
01-13-2003, 03:15 PM
welcome to PG! :)

That's very :cool: that Garth tyold you to come here :) Congrats on the Meet and Greet:D

God and peace,
Vanessa :)

bethany
01-13-2003, 04:08 PM
Welcome Alex! You are going to love it here........ so will your mom!
What a cool story and a cool memory that you and your mom have of meeting Garth. There are A LOT of people who have never met him and would love the chance to just bump into him like you did! How exciting.
I am betting that if you really sit and listen to some of his music, you will come to love it as we do. Some of the lyrics are very powerful.
If you run in to him agian...... say "hey" for me!

Bethany

Jen19
01-13-2003, 05:48 PM
Great Story I'm glad Garth recommended us :) Welcome to PG I'm sure you will enjoy it. The only pictures I know of from OK are new ones of Garth and some friends in frount of his gate in OK and older ones from collage and playing at Willes Sallon at OSU. But I dont know of too many.

check out this link for some of my favs

http://www.strengthtech.com/photos/garthp/garthp.htm

JEN

alexk
01-13-2003, 07:50 PM
Oh dear, this is Barbara, Alex's mother. I don't normally get on the internet but Alex showed me what he wrote and I had to defend my honor. (she says with a smile.) Just to set the record straight, I was NOT "freaking out," when I saw Mr. Brooks. I kind of gasped. Then I was fumbling around in my purse for a pen because I was afraid he'd be gone before I could ask him for an autograph. In my hurry I dropped my keys and it kind of made a clatter. Of course to a 15 year old that was SO embarrassing. I think Mr. Brooks figured out I was "excited" to see him. NOT that I was freaking out. (Alex is going to get grounded for that one.) He walked over like he was going to pick up my keys and he said hello. He was really really nice, he didn't act like a big superstar at all. I think I was the only one in the lobby to recognize him at first, he was dressed in blue jeans, a big jacket and a ball cap. He had on work boots, not even cowboy boots. I guess he'd attract a lot of attention if he went out in his cowboy hat, eh? Unfortunately, I didn't even have a decent thing for him to autograph, let alone a camera. But I will treasure my postit note! What Alex didn't tell you is that as soon as we got home he had to call his best friend and tell the story, so I think he enjoyed it ALMOST as much as his sad old embarrassing mother did. I made him listen to the Live cd that night and he even admitted that Mr. Brooks wasn't so bad "for a country guy."

I can see why Mr. Brooks said such nice things about this website, thank you all for being so sweet to my son. I will make sure he goes to college, he is very smart about computers already (unlike his mom) and gets all A's and B's.

Take care.
Barbara

Paula
01-13-2003, 08:00 PM
Welcome to PG, Barbara. Now that you have your feet wet, join in the fun. Keep working on Alex...he'll come around. :)

Paula

G-f
01-13-2003, 08:45 PM
WOW!! He's still out there and we get bits a pieces now and then. What I wouldn't give to have been there in that lobby with her. Guess I would probably babble too...lol but I sure would love to have one of those "Garth hugs" that you all have experienced so many times. I bet he still has some, "if asked." :) Oh my!! What a dream!
Tricia

bethany2
01-13-2003, 09:13 PM
Welcome Barbara! What a lucky lady you are! Hope you visit PG often.........

Bethany

Snow
01-13-2003, 10:34 PM
Hi Barbara!

Welcome to PG! I hope that you'll come back and visit often. I tell you, if I'd been in your shoes, I'd probably have dropped more than my keys. *lol* I have a 15 year old daughter... as well as a 10 year old one too... so I know how we embarrass them *lol*. Heck I teach 160 of the "little darlings" and it's my pleasure to act silly in front of them all the time. Then again, they do some pretty silly stuff too! I get some of my best laughs at work. Lets see....... just yesterday one of my "honors" biology students told us that cotton grows on sheep. Yep..... sheep.

It's never boring with teens!

OH! And in one of CP Biology classes the other day, a student was writing about how insect populations can evolve a resistance to pesticides....... and wrote......... "it's like survival of the FETUS".... instead of "survival of the fittest."

Anyway..... congrats on your Garthmoment and thanks so much for sharing it with us. I hope you find the perfect frame for that post-it note! ;)

Take care,
Deb

PJ
01-13-2003, 10:43 PM
Welcome to the Planet Barbara! There is no need to feel embarrassed as I got "excited" when I first met Garth as well and my hubby reminds me of how "excited" I got whenever he gets to picking on me just a wee bit too much. So feel proud to join the club of the "excited"! :D

Briggs7195
01-13-2003, 11:32 PM
Welcome to PG! What a wonderful, exciting story! You are so lucky! Thanks for stopping by! Hope you're enjoying the site...it's a great place!

amd-b
01-14-2003, 12:43 AM
Alex and Barbara,
Welcome to the Planet! What a wonderful story. I don't think I would even have a post-it. I would have had to do a napkin from the restaurant and hope that they had paper ones! I guess I need to go hang out in Tulsa.
Thank you for sharing.

Alexa

Jude
01-14-2003, 05:31 AM
Welcome to you too Barbara.

Hope you come back to us again.

Jude

FlutterBy98
01-14-2003, 02:00 PM
What a very cool story, you are a very lucky kid. You should give Garth a chance, I didn't use to like country music either, but he hooked me in. Your mom will REALLY like this place, they're all crazy for Garth here. I haven't been here very long but everyone here is really nice. The postit note thing is pretty funny. Bet she starts traveling with a bigger notepad now.

Flutter

Garthfan92
01-14-2003, 10:57 PM
Welcome, Alex and Barbara! Garth did point you in the right direction. This is a great site! Thanks for sharing your story. I'm glad you got the chance to meet him!

Lisa

Jen19
01-15-2003, 12:33 AM
Hi Barb welcome to the planet. Don't worry about the freaking out thing even if you didn't I know I sure did when I meet him the first time there are a few people on here that can vouch for me. Garth sort of has that power. I would defiantly cherish that post it note that is something to keep for all time :)

well, I hope you will stick around..

JEN

Teaser210
01-15-2003, 12:43 AM
Nice to meet you Alex and Barbara. Most everything known about Garth is somewhere on this site. Mostly in the forums. For instance I've found links to copies of The Believer magazine which at one time was Garth's fan magazine. You can find it too by searching on the word believer and going through the threads that come up. Thread names that have a paper clip before the thread name have links to pictures or sometimes video clips of performances and interviews and other goodies.

Rachael Rocks!!!

Rachael lives in Australia and has been posting links to all kinds vintage video clips from TV.

Alex, since you're interested in computers, do you ever watch Tech TV? TechTV is to computers like PlanetGarth is to Garth. Check out www.techtv.com for all kinds of hints and tricks about computers. I am so addicted to that tv station. I love watching for all the neat new gizmos I can buy, if I had the money, that is. Hey, there's a brand new gadget like an MP3 player only it's designed to play videos, as well as MP3's and MPEGs... heck maybe it plays all just like a computer, I remember they were playing a movie on it... only it's small can fit into a pocket and it's available now for... I think it was $450. But heck, could have all those terrific Garth videos Rachael's given us to go!

And there's a link to a free popup blocker that works great... not that anyone here would ever want to use that kind of software, hehe.

Terry

majmom
01-15-2003, 12:49 PM
Welcome to the Planet, Alex and Barbara!

ConGARTHulations on meeting Garth...I'd say a small gasp and dropping your keys is a MILD reaction to seeing Garth in person just a few feet in front of you! :D

I'm quite sure I forgot my own name when I met him! :o And afterwards I bawled like a baby...:eek:

What has happened to you is affectionately known around here as a "Garthmoment" - a face-to-face meeting with Garth. Sure to fluster, guaranteed to make you smile (and possibly cry - at the same time!), and ALWAYS leaving you feeling like you will never be quite the same! :)

Stick around - sounds like you are already a bonafide "Garthnutt" and this is where we belong! :cool:

Thanks for sharing your story - remember NO detail is too small when it comes to meeting Garth, so if you think of anything else, don't hesitate to share it with us!

Kerry

FlutterBy98
01-31-2003, 12:36 PM
I'm pretty new to Garth things on the net, but I can see why he recommends this place out of all the others. Some places aren't nice to other folks, some places are about everything in the world EXCEPT Garth, here there's lots of stuff to read about and learn about from people all over. thanks for letting me flutter on in.
flutter

garthfamily
02-04-2003, 02:03 AM
Welcome to the Planet Alex and Barbara. ConGarthulations on your Garth moment. Barbara don't feel bad about a gasp and dropping the keys. When I met Garth my friend and I sat and talked with him for 20 minutes and didn't know who he was. I only realized it 3 years later after watching the video for the Central Park concert.
Anyhow have fun and enjoy we're all a bit "nutts" (Garthnutts that is} here:)

Sharon

Luvs*Garth*1128
02-14-2003, 09:07 PM
Welcome to PG! Wonderful to hear you met the "man". :)

Angie

JoAnn L.
02-15-2003, 03:07 PM
Alex & Barbara thanks for sharing your Garth moments with us all here at PG. Thanks to Garth for sending them here.

Alex it's a breath of fresh air to read an encounter by a "non" fan....because the story was shared in a matter of fact detail without all the "emotions" we fans tend to throw in....not that it's bad...cuz I love all those emotional details....but just the raw facts stated...sounded just exactly the way it would have happened with Garth. His polite nature to notice someone's keys being drop and wanting to pick them up for you Barb, to making sure that after all was said & done when the group of people crowding around him for signatures, he first made SURE to get you what YOU wanted or needed. His concern for your education, recommendations for a good college, admitting his lack of computer skills & desire but highly recommending "PG" and of all....before he left making sure to say good-bye to you, calling you by your NAME & telling you to stay in school. That's just our good ol Garth for ya.

Barb, since you took notice of his attire....was his shoe laces untied on his work boots? He tends to be lazy about that. As far as Garth when it comes to cowboy boots & a hat....I don't think it's so much to not draw attention or not be recognized as it is for comfort. He dresses for comfort for sure....those tight jeans & hat were more for concerts, events & TV. I'm kind of missing those tight wranglers days though....although at this point I'm just missing Garth period. I don't care what he's got on....as long as it is in front of me again soooooon. <sigh>
JoAnn Lachance

Vanessa
02-15-2003, 06:32 PM
joann-- I think we *ALL* miss seeing Garth *LOL* you're not alone.. trsut me! ;)

Barbara and Alex- thanks for sharing your story and welcome to the Planet! I think you'll find that we're a harmless bunch of poeple just crazy abot Da Man! :D

god and peace,
Vanessa :)