PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Christmas Song

Monica Lockhart
12-18-2002, 11:44 PM
What's your alltime favorite Christmas song?

My alltime favorite is O' Holy Night.

I sure would have loved to hear Garth sing that song. My favorite version is by John Berry.

Moni

GBronx
12-19-2002, 07:51 AM
Moni, I love that song also. I can imagine John Berry
singing it. His voice is so angelic. I would love to hear him sing it.

My fav non religious contemporary song is The Christmas Song (chestnuts roasting...)

And my NEW Fav hands down is Zat You, Santa Claus!!!!
I play this song anytime in the year that I feel down and want to have fast a pick-me-up!!!! :)

Tony Arata

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take,
but by the moments that take our breath away!

Teach
12-19-2002, 10:14 AM
I,too, love "Oh, Holy Night" and would love to hear it sung by Garth. My other favorite Christmas song is Garth singing " Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas".

Sxycwgl9999
12-19-2002, 03:46 PM
My favorite Christmas song is "Santa Looked Alot Like Daddy" I think that is so cute!!!

Amy Jo

Garthfan92
12-19-2002, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by Monica Lockhart
My alltime favorite is O' Holy Night. I sure would have loved to hear Garth sing that song. My favorite version is by John Berry.

Moni, I LOVE John's version of that song! I'm a huge fan of his, and highly recommend either of his Christmas albums, or any others for that matter. Anyone who's looking to do some cd shopping should check him out if you haven't before. He's never gotten the recognition he deserves.

I guess my overall fav. would be "What Child is This". Garth's version is amazing!

As far as a less traditional one, gotta love Suzy Bogguss "Two-step Round the Christmas Tree".

Lisa

bethany
12-20-2002, 03:32 PM
There is a song Iíve heard called The Christmas Shoes (or something like it). Iím not sure who does it, but I absolutely bawl every time I hear it:

Hereís the chours:

"Sir, I want to buy these shoes for my mama, please
It's Christmas Eve and these shoes are just her size
Could you hurry, sir, Daddy says there's not much time
You see, mom's been sick for quite awhile
I know these shoes would make her smile
I want her to look beautiful if mama meets Jesus tonight."

Does anyone know who sings it? Itís a heart breaker for sure.

Bethany

RckyMtnGirl@hrt
12-20-2002, 10:30 PM
Oh Holy Night and Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas

Merry Christmas to everyone!

(((HUGS))) ~ CC

Paula
12-20-2002, 11:06 PM
Originally posted by bethany
There is a song Iíve heard called The Christmas Shoes (or something like it). Iím not sure who does it, but I absolutely bawl every time I hear it:

Hereís the chours:

"Sir, I want to buy these shoes for my mama, please
It's Christmas Eve and these shoes are just her size
Could you hurry, sir, Daddy says there's not much time
You see, mom's been sick for quite awhile
I know these shoes would make her smile
I want her to look beautiful if mama meets Jesus tonight."

Does anyone know who sings it? Itís a heart breaker for sure.

Bethany One version is sung by a group called Newsong (http://www.newsongonline.com/). Here are the lyrics:

The Christmas Shoes

It was almost Christmas time, there I stood in another line
Tryiní to buy that last gift or two, not really in the Christmas mood
Standing right in front of me was a little boy waiting anxiously
Pacing round like little boys do, and in his hands he held a pair of shoes
His clothes were worn and old
He was dirty from head to toe
And when it came his time to pay
I couldnít believe what I heard him say

(Chorus) Sir, I want to buy these shoes for my mama, please
Itís Christmas Eve and these shoes are just her size
Could you hurry, sir, Daddy said thereís not much time
You see, momís been sick for quite a while
And I know these shoes would make her smile
And I want her to look beautiful if mama meets Jesus tonight

He counted pennies for what seemed like years
Then the cashier said, "Son, thereís not enough here"
He searched his pockets frantically, then he turned and he looked at me
He said, "Mama always made Christmas good at our house,
Through most years she did without
Tell me, sir, what am I going to do,
Somehow, Iíve got to buy these Christmas shoes."
I just had to help him out
And as I laid the money down
Iíll never forget the look on his face
When he said, "Mamaís gonna look so great."

(Repeat Chorus)

I knew Iíd caught a glimpse of heavenís love as he thanked me and ran out
I knew that God had sent that little boy my way
To remind me just what Christmas is all about

(Repeat Chorus)

Writers: Eddie Carswell & Leonard Ahlstrom
© 2000 Sony/ATV Lowery Songs/BMI; WB Music Corp./Jerryí Haven Music/ASCAP.I also found a site where you can listen to the whole song - http://www.freedwings.com/christmasshoes.html - but I don't know who sings this version.

Paula

fuzzwuzz
12-22-2002, 02:15 PM
O'Holy Night

Both Steve Wariner and Collin Raye do killer versions of this hymn. I had been playing Collin's Christmas cd at work. The department manager is having a hard time with Christmas right now, and really started slammimg things down as he worked after I begged and pleaded with him not to take off the cd, because it was helping me with my own burdens. As "O' Holy Night" rose in triumph he really got noisy, but I hope at the same time it gave him some hope to hold onto like it was me.

Another favorite is Joy to the World. I believe that is a hymn whose time has come everytime I hear it now. My thoughts drift often to it through the busyness of the holiday preparations. That song is the goal that is Christmas. :)

angelamccann
12-24-2002, 09:57 AM
Apart from Garth's recordings, one of my favourite Christmas songs isn't a Christmas song at all, but it always makes me feel Christmassy(!) - Kate Bush's "Moments Of Pleasure" from "The Red Shoes". There are references to the buildings of New York and snow starting to fall - wonderfully atmospheric song.

On a more Christmassy theme, I adore "I Believe In Father Christmas" by Greg Lake, which uses 'Troika' as its main instrumental melody:

They said there'd be snow at Christmas
They said there'd be peace on Earth
But instead it just kept on raining
A veil of tears for the Virgin birth
I remember one Christmas morning
The Winter's light and the distant cry
And the peal of a bell - and that Christmas tree smell
And eyes full of tinsel and fire

I wish you a hopeful Christmas
I wish you a brave new year
All anguish, pain and sadness
Leave your heart and let your road be clear
They said there'd be snow at Christmas
They said there'd be peace on Earth
Hallelujah, Noel - be it Heaven or Hell
The Christmas we get, we deserve.

That's the two verses I know - I think there's another one in the middle but I can never remember how it goes! Although I love the song, I have to disagree vehemently with the last couple of lines as many people don't get the Christmas they deserve at all.

Here's hoping for love and light for all at PG throughout the Christmas season and beyond. :)

Angela x

Snow
12-24-2002, 11:10 AM
With my nickname, you'd think it was "Let it Snow", which I do like, but my favorite is "White Christmas", first from the movie "Holiday Inn", and the remade in the later classic holiday movie "White Christmas." Would you believe though that Irving Berlin (the composer of the song) practically made a pest of himself trying to get Bing Crosby to do the song?

"White Christmas"... sung by just about anyone that can sing is great... but the Bing Crosby version is wonderful. Can you believe it's the most recorded popular song in the world?!?! It's been sung by so many artists, and in so many styles from classic to rock.

The story behind the song is as touching as the song itself. To it's merit it was the first real secular Christmas song. It wasn't until after Irving Berlin wrote this and Crosby made it famous that we started having songs like Blue Christmas (Elvis), Rudolf the Red Nosed Reindeer, etc. becomming common in culture. Before that, all Christmas songs were understandably religious in nature.

Despite it's being secular it has such great heart and meaning. On the surface it is about the desire for a return to a remembered holiday or the longing for an ideal holiday. It's nostalgic. This is a feeling most can relate to at some point in their lives.

But it's Berlin's own history that really gives wonder to the song. One of the biggest and best composers in American history, Berlin was born in Russia, the son of a Canter and grew up speaking Yiddish. As an immigrant child in America he was mesmerized by the holiday Christmas season. Later, as an adult he suffered a tragedy on one Christmas day when his son died and for the rest of their lives he and his wife visited the grave on Christmas day. He most likely wrote the song one year when he was separated from his family while he was in California working on providing music for the movies.

It became popular during WWII when troops in the field heard it on Armed Forces radio. Bing Crosby said that when he would go to entertain the troops... before the movie White Christmas was even made... the troops would demand that he sing the song and then they'd cry.

It was even used during the Vietnam war as a signal to troops in Saigon to evacuate the city.

allisonv7
12-24-2002, 12:34 PM
I'm a dork, nothing gets me more excited for Christmas than when Sammy Kershaw sings 'Christmas Times a Comin'.....Ricky Skaggs did it on the opry the other nite, but it just wasn't the same!

As far as Garth goes that man can sing an awesome carol....My favs from him are 'Sleigh Bells' and 'Its the Most Wonderful Time of the Year'

I'm also liking Alan J's'Let it Be Christmas' I think thats a great song :) I'd never heard it before....has any one else done it, or is this and AJ original?

allison.

Paula
12-24-2002, 05:34 PM
"White Christmas"... sung by just about anyone that can sing is great... but the Bing Crosby version is wonderful. Can you believe it's the most recorded popular song in the world?!?! It's been sung by so many artists, and in so many styles from classic to rock. Every time I hear Garth's version of this I think of Bing Crosby, especially at the point in the song when Garth does what I believe is his imitation of Bing's crooning.
I'm also liking Alan J's'Let it Be Christmas' I think thats a great song :) I'd never heard it before....has any one else done it, or is this and AJ original?Alan wrote this song, and I believe he is the only person who has recorded it.

Paula

wiffit
12-30-2002, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by fuzzwuzz
O'Holy Night

Both Steve Wariner and Collin Raye do killer versions of this hymn. I had been playing Collin's Christmas cd at work.

I dont recall Steve doing O' HOLY NIGHT ???? I'd love to hear it. & just think...I thought I had all of Steve's Christmas tunes! What is this one from? :-))))

I love Garth doing "Zat, You Santa Claus!" Just too cute!!

Another Fave of mine is Vince Vance & the Valients, "ALL I Want For Christmas".

Paula
12-30-2002, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by wiffit
Another Fave of mine is Vince Vance & the Valients, "ALL I Want For Christmas". My radio station plays this song to death during the holidays. I was so sick of hearing it. They had to have played it at least 4-5 times every day!

Paula

scout
01-01-2003, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by wiffit
I dont recall Steve doing O' HOLY NIGHT ???? I'd love to hear it. & just think...I thought I had all of Steve's Christmas tunes! What is this one from? :-))))

Wiffit, I dont think Steve ever recorded it.
Maybe Fuzz saw it live & thats what they meant??

Oh' Fuzz?? Where did you hear it??

GarthDreamer77
01-01-2003, 11:36 PM
Hey Everyone,

My favorite old Christmas song from Garth is "Silent Night".
This is the song where he talks about going home to see his family.I also like "Unto You This Night".

My favorite new Christmas song from Garth is "Zat,You Santa Claus!"
I think it is a very :cool: and upbeat song.

My favorite non-Garth Christmas song is
"Christmas Eve/Sarajevo 12/24" which is a instrumental song preformed by the Trans-Siberian Orchestra.It is a very powerful song that can be found on their cd titled "Christmas Eve And Other Stories".

Take Care & God Bless,
~*Kristen*~

fuzzwuzz
01-02-2003, 12:48 AM
Scout and Wiffitt. I'm pretty sure it's on a country Christmas cd with various country artists. I'll keep an eye out for the cd to verify. It's probably in my locker at work. I'm almost postive it's Steve and O'Holy Night. But hey, I'm not perfect. I'll get back to ya on it. ;)

fuzzwuzz
01-07-2003, 09:22 PM
Oops! Like I've said, I've been pretty tuckered out lately and just getting my second wind back. But, "Silent Night" is very touching when done right too. Steve did that for me like Collin did with "O' Holy Night." I give up at this point trying to remember every song I heard that I liked and artist who did it! I'm just glad to be back enjoying the music and some good company from time-to-time. Hope you all have a blessed New Year. :)