PDA

View Full Version : Song of the Week: "The Gift" 12.09.02

Paula
12-09-2002, 08:49 PM
As suggested by Joyce, this week's song is a Christmas one. Found on Beyond The Season and written by Stephanie Davis, you can find the lyrics here (http://www.planetgarth.com/lyrics/the_gift.php).

Paula

Lowell Miller
12-09-2002, 09:48 PM
This is a wonderful Christmas song. :) My fav. :)

Cheryl
12-09-2002, 10:50 PM
My favorite too! :) It always sounds so special, especially the first time I hear it each Christmas season. I remember the very first time I heard it....it was before I was into Garth, or country music at all for that matter. Beyond the Season was playing, and I was more or less ignoring it :o (like I said, it was before I knew better! ;) ) Anyway, The Gift came on, and it just completely grabbed my attention....I was totally impressed, and still am, every time I hear it. :)

Vanessa
12-09-2002, 11:02 PM
It took me a while to really "get this" song, but now that I have I love it!. The words are so simple and pure but so powerful :D

Vanessa :)

Snow
12-09-2002, 11:12 PM
It really is a nice little song. The lyrics are touching as is the meaning. I'm embarrassed to say though that it's just one that I've never really loved the way I should. More often than not I skip over it, which is really sad as it's got a lot of merit.

Just one of my quirks I guess that I don't care for it as I should. Perhaps it's one of those songs that is waiting for me to come to the right point in my life to appreciate it. It's happened to me more than once with Garth's songs. :)

I try to think of it as something like one of those time-release cold tablets. By not loving all of Garth's songs right away, I get to discover and enjoy them a little at a time over the years. :)

Adam
12-10-2002, 12:39 AM
I know EXACTLY what you mean... That happened with me on "how you ever gonna know." I bet I skipped it every time it came on for 2 years but now its one of my favorites. Its funny how that happens.

jturtels
12-10-2002, 12:41 AM
This song is one of the best Christmas songs ever. Garth's voice just flows so smoothly. I don't really know how to start analyzing this one. I think it's pretty clean cut. Awesome, awesome, song.

bjmg
12-10-2002, 12:49 AM
This is one of my favorite songs off of Beyond the Season simply because it is so unique. The first time I heard it I had to go back and listen to it again. Usually, it is the first song off of the album that I listen to when Christmas time rolls around. Great song.

Brad

GRTH FAN
12-10-2002, 01:42 AM
It's indeed "THE GIFT" that keeps giving!!
Love it!!
Donna :);)

Paula
12-10-2002, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by jturtels
This song is one of the best Christmas songs ever. Garth's voice just flows so smoothly. I don't really know how to start analyzing this one. I think it's pretty clean cut. Awesome, awesome, song. You're so right! When I picked this as the song of the week, I knew it wasn't going to promote a lot of discussion in analyzing it because it was so straightforward. It's also one of my favorites of the Christmas songs because it tells such a great story, and it just warms me every time I listen to it.

Paula

Briggs7195
12-10-2002, 05:48 PM
Great Christmas song...love the whole album...especially good to listen to while decorating for the holidays :)

Garth_FANtasizer
12-10-2002, 06:53 PM
Love this song! I take this CD out so many times during the year just to hear this song. It doesn't have to be Christmas time.

Garth sings like a beautiful nightingale while singing about one on this song! Gives me chills just thinking about it!

~Ann~

Skywise
12-11-2002, 12:19 AM
This is definitely a great song- I sang it in church the christmas eve after it came out (I got the sheet music book that fall and played The Gift and God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen" solo w/guitar. not braggin, but the music director did look at me afterwards when I asked him how i did and said "Garth couldn't have done it any better." I took that as a huge compliment.)

I love the message of it doesn't matter what we have in our offerings, our gifts, etc. when we come to Christ at christmas or any other time. If all we have is a bird with a broken wing, that's what we bring- if all we have to give is our love for Jesus, let us bring that.. it's a great sentiment

Scott

Vanessa
12-11-2002, 01:56 AM
Scott- it's very amazing wehat we each bring to Christ at His birthday.. you're right IMO, cause if we all did this we'd truely understand the meaning behind this song.. :)

fuzzwuzz
12-12-2002, 12:34 AM
Woah! High five Vanessa! Out of the mouth of babes!! And trust me darlin'. When it comes to God's wisdom, He's blessed us with you more than you know! :)

Hmm. Coming to God, just as you are. With love and trust in your heart. Reminds me also of The Little Drummer Boy. :)

Also, I think of these lines from Justin Hayward's song "Children of Paradise": (which also brings to mind "The Change")

through the violence and the rage
through the grace of love be still
and the spirit that breaks free from the cage
is the one they cannot kill
'cause we can be
Children of Paradise

Could somebody please tell me if the version of "The Gift" I keep hearing on my radio is Stephanie Davis? It's so beautful. I bet Garth would agree. Starts out accapella and then adds lush instruments. Kinda cool, some of the Christmas music they've been playing. Not Garth's version of this one though. Tonight at work I played Dwight Yoakam's Christmas cd on repeat and everytime that rockin' song with Rudolph came on I found I couldn't keep still at my register even in front of my customers! I can't imagine how I'd be if I was allowed to play Garth all day! Maybe the customers would even join in with me! :)

Skywise
12-12-2002, 12:44 AM
registers? customers? where do you work dale?

btw- another great song from BTS in the same vein of gift giving that "the gift" portrays is the song "the friendly beasts". I love how garth had all the different songwriters sing on that song.

God bless!

Scott

YODELGAL
12-12-2002, 12:57 AM
I too sing this song in public every Christmas season, but I find that if I concentrate all my emotions on the song, I can't get through it, or just barely. It always evokes tears from the audience as well. Last year, a couple came up to me in tears after a show and said that they left their mobile home to shop for Christmas gifts the day before, inadverently left the stove on, and their two beloved pet birds died as a result. They asked if I would make a home recording of the song for them. Instead, I asked if it would be all right to give them Garth's version of the song, and so that's what I did. The song had a different meaning to them than it did to me. I think I key into the emotions of the little girl Maria, rather than the spiritual meaning of the miracle, although they could be one and the same.

Stephanie

fuzzwuzz
12-12-2002, 01:26 AM
I think there's a connection Stephanie. More than we know.

Scott, I work at Wal*Mart garden center on the register. I see hundreds of people a day. I'm right at the door and often the only cashier back there at any given time. We've been playing Christmas music for our customers, at my request same as last year, so we don't feel so isolated and cut off from the rest of the world. The music seems to loosen us up and bring us closer together as we open up more and leave some of our Christmas shopping woes behind us. What a blessing! Christmas truly is the most wonderful time of the year as Garth likes to sing! And I know he believes it too, same as I do. And this year, I also bought a Santa hat! One little boy asked me today if I was Santa Claus. After he left I thought of Whoopie in Call Me Claus and I realized to that little boy, at that moment, I was, and it made me smile. :)

Skywise
12-12-2002, 02:12 AM
Originally posted by fuzzwuzz
I think there's a connection Stephanie. More than we know.

Scott, I work at Wal*Mart garden center on the register. I see hundreds of people a day. I'm right at the door and often the only cashier back there at any given time. We've been playing Christmas music for our customers, at my request same as last year, so we don't feel so isolated and cut off from the rest of the world. The music seems to loosen us up and bring us closer together as we open up more and leave some of our Christmas shopping woes behind us. What a blessing! Christmas truly is the most wonderful time of the year as Garth likes to sing! And I know he believes it too, same as I do. And this year, I also bought a Santa hat! One little boy asked me today if I was Santa Claus. After he left I thought of Whoopie in Call Me Claus and I realized to that little boy, at that moment, I was, and it made me smile. :)

Dale- its' great to hear that you were able to bring a bit of joy into a child's life!

I think there's a definite connection between the girl's emotion and the spiritual miracle of God present in the song.

Scott

diem nash
12-12-2002, 12:59 PM
Garth sings like a beautiful nightingale

Ann, youīre sooooooo right!!! :D :D

Dale, what a wonderful story with that boy even for you. THAT is Christmas!!!

When I hear that song I always get lost. It does sooo move me, it tickles in my heart, brings tears into my eyes, cause Iīm sooo overwhelmed. I canīt hear it enough!
Iīll give this album to Tatty this Christmas because of this song first of all.
This is such a lovely story about love. This is it what Christmas is all about. And not just Christmas. I wrote a letter to a very special person and said that I love the true little things in life. And this story is such a true little thing.
I canīt thank Garth enough for this song!
I also wrote a Christmas story and this song is in. Itīs in every heart beat of mine. One of the greatest gift I ever got. And Iīll love it forever! Forever and a day!

:D :D

Maddy :D

Vanessa
12-13-2002, 12:15 PM
dale- I'm glad that you liked those words I said.. high five back atcha! :D

In the past I've "sung" The Friendly Beasts with my puppet group on our christmas ever service.. it's been very cool.. I think that threu that song.. people really understand what christmas is all aboyut :D

YODELGAL
12-13-2002, 08:44 PM
Isn't it wonderful how Garth's music gets passed on to others, and in a variety of venues? I guess that is how his music will live on and continue to affect the lives of others. I just made a tape of the Central Park concert for two of my musical friends who don't know Garth, but asked if I had any music to share with them, since I often sing his music. Can't wait to hear their reaction. One is new to country music, and one is more of a bluegrass musician.

Thanks for the continuing comments, guys.

Stephanie

fuzzwuzz
12-14-2002, 10:33 PM
Stephanie, it sounds like you've sent your friends well on the way to becoming big Garth fans. They'll be hooked forever once they see Garth in Central Park!

I came home from work exhausted today after a gruling but pleasant day ringing up Christmas shoppers. Plus, I had worked a late shift the night before. I layed on the coach and slipped on Beyond the Season. I soon slipped off too into Garthy Christmas dreams. :)

Snow
12-14-2002, 11:08 PM
Dale isn't it crazy out there?! *lol*

I have to say though, that I had a very good shopping day. We already had the kids done a while back, but I had to wait until today to shop for Ken, extended family, and friends. I set out this morning with my list and a strict budget! I went to Wal-mart early and it wasn't crowded. I found stuff easily and all the clerks were so nice.

I shopped from 9 - 10:30 am and I got all the extended family and friends presents as well as 2 wedding gifts. I then ran my oldest daughter to get her hair cut at 11. Then she had to be at a Roses store to help be a bell ringer for the Salvation Army. Left there... ran and picked up Ken's prescriptions.... ran home, and changed clothes and made it to my nephew's wedding at 2 pm. Went home, caught my breath and headed out tonight to pick up the kids lay-a-way. Ken went with me... and I managed to slip away from him long enough to pick out his presents and hide them in the van.

Now I'm home......... and FINISHED, FINISHED, FINISHED!!! :)

God bless you Dale and all those lovely clerks out there working their tails off to get us in and out of those madhouse stores.... and even being nice about it! :)

I even managed to work Garth in there! I had to pick up some Karioke CD's for the girls new machine that Santa is bringing... and I found some with some Garth songs! Two Pina Coladas, Longneck Bottle, and a couple of others I can't remember at the moment.

I wish they'd had some of the Christmas songs from Garth. I would love to try to sing those with the machine!

fuzzwuzz
12-14-2002, 11:21 PM
Well thank you Deb. God bless you too! I can't imagine fitting in wedding plans over the busiest of holidays! I already have my hands full with family birthdays overflowing from Christmas week clear through to Jan. Plus my Mom's is Christmas Eve. Can't forget Mom! She gets doubled spoiled though. :)

I'm right now listening again to Beyond the Season. I'm not as familiar with all the words to this one as Garth Brooks & the magic of Christmas. And how could I have forgotten his beatuful versions of Silent Night and What Child is This? I figure though it must be Stephanie Davis' own version of The Gift that I'm hearing on radio? Surely somebody here knows? Where is it available?

unccstephanie
12-15-2002, 11:22 PM
I know that I have never posted before I just had to say I know what ya'll mean about it being crazy out there this time of year!! I too work behind a register, but its at the mall.(eek) Anyway, I know some of the customers look at me weird because I ALWAYS am singin a song in my a head ( most of the time its either Garth or Trisha), and I start smilin and bouncin my head back and forth. They are probably thinkin, "Okay crazy cashier lady just give me my Cinnabon so I can walk away very quickly."

*~Stephanie~*

ProducerJ
12-16-2002, 12:51 AM
Welcome to the Planet Stephanie! Mmmmm Cinnabon!

Please stick around and post more - you obviously have great taste in music. :)
J. <-- who has been done with her Christmas shopping for over a week now... :p (sticking my tongue out at Monica who hasn't STARTED yet!)

YODELGAL
12-16-2002, 08:55 PM
EGAD!!! ANOTHER STEPHANIE!!!

I don't know if I can take it!

...but, welcome, anyway, stephanie.

Love, Stephanie (yodelgal)