PDA

View Full Version : Are we sure it isn't Garth under that cowboy hat?

ProducerJ
11-25-2002, 06:00 PM
This comes from the "Who's News" section of USA weekend yesterday. There's a large promotional blurb about Tim McGraw, which starts out like this:

"Watch out for Tim McGraw this week. Country music's cutest husband is on a one-man blitz, selling his new album, TM&TDD, as well as an accompanying book and an NBC special Wednesday. If I didn't know better, I'd think it was Garth Books under that big black hat."

Isn't that funny! I guess Garth did set the standard for mega-promotional blitzes around country album releases!

J.

allisonv7
11-25-2002, 07:37 PM
That's cute, thanks for posting...it's always great to hear new Garth mentions :)

allison.

Garthfan92
11-25-2002, 11:39 PM
I wish it was! Does sound like the type of promo stuff Garth did though. Cute that they mention it.

Lisa

Snow
11-25-2002, 11:45 PM
*lol*.... that's pretty cool! :) Thanks for sharing that J!

angelamccann
11-26-2002, 08:42 AM
Well, I suppose if the TV networks can't get hold of Garth, they have to find *something* to try and get some ratings. As someone who hasn't seen a whole lot of US TV other than what good people have sent me on videos, and what Garth's done on TV over here, I have a question - when Garth was around doing his major TV specials, TIGB, The Hits special, and the like, were other artists getting that kind of exposure at that level as regularly? All I recall seeing was a trailer for a Shania Twain concert once - I don't have any recollection of other major country artists getting major specials on major channels, so was Garth the only one, or were there lots of things we outside the US never got to hear about? :)

Angela x

ProducerJ
11-26-2002, 09:33 AM
Good question Angela! I don't remember a lot of country artists getting the television exposure before Garth, but then again, it could be I wasn't paying attention.

SINCE Garth, some more artists have done these tv specials. CBS has been doing country music specials on Thanksgiving for a few years now. Seems I remember Reba doing one a few years back, is that right? Shania, Faith, and now Tim. But beyond that, I don't know of anything in the way of network, prime time exposure.
J.

GB2PinaColadas
11-26-2002, 09:49 AM
Yeah.. Kenny Chesney did that also, except it was on CMT.. The Daytona concert special.. would that count?

Snow
11-26-2002, 11:59 AM
Through the years many country acts have had Christmas specials... they just weren't always of the concerty type show. Often they were typical television specials but with lots of them singing and some guests as well. Dolly Parton, Statler Brothers, Loretta Lynn, Reba, Carter Family... I think even Alabama had one a few years back. Probably if I think on it.... I think maybe country artists usually get better exposure with tv specials in the holiday times than some of the other types of performers. Maybe it's just more "Down Home" for Christmas or something. *shrugs*

GriggsGarthGirl
11-26-2002, 12:38 PM
I just hope Tim's TV special is better than his "movie." That thing last night was horrible. It actually discourged me from buying his new CD and I don't think that was their intent. While I was watching it all I could think was "Garth never would've done anything this cheesy." It was like a bad infomercial complete with a kayaking couple. What does kayaking have to do with Tim McGraw--I have NO idea!

angelamccann
11-26-2002, 07:18 PM
Good answer Joyce :)

Kayaking? I guess it's something to do in the country (and so considered relevant to country music - TV people do clutch at straws sometimes) - or just *a* country.

Maybe you got off lightly with kayaking - in the UK, Channel 4 produced a special with chat host Graham Norton visiting Dolly Parton in Dollywood - it was *surreal*. The climax was Graham and Dolly floating around a public pool on inflatable floats singing 'Islands In The Stream'...

Angela x

GriggsGarthGirl
11-26-2002, 08:51 PM
Unfortunately, it wasn't even Tim kayaking. They had strange couples doing outdoor activites throughout the whole 'movie.' Some of them were running on the beach, others were climbing mountains, cross country skiing, and kayaking. As far as I could tell it had no connection to anything. It was like one of the infomercials for a "Love Songs" CD. Not good at all. I think Tim was actually in the 'movie' for 5-10 minutes. Completely not what I was expecting.

fuzzwuzz
11-27-2002, 12:55 AM
Man! Some of us Garth fans are such a tough audience! I have the cd. Yes, it's awesome. Tim's working his butt off for it, he believes in it that much. And I do see alot of Garth under his hat. But more than that? I FEEL him too with this cd. :) Let's do some ridin' Tim!!! All the way baby!!! :) Give me some of what your "Doctors" ordered!!! ;)

BLL
11-27-2002, 04:11 PM
LOL, Angela- I love Graham Norton; that show will be on here 12-16-02, and I can't wait.

I think most of the artists are trying to emulate Garth's marketing plan as he was so darned successful. They just don't have the charisma and same level of talent to do it up as big as he did. I think Tim McGraw is okay, pleasant enough voice and all. He just doesn't grab me the way Garth did, even through the screen. I probably won't watch his special as the season ender of 'Monarch of the Glen' is on tonight. If it was Garth, I'd be watching AND taping him, and I'd catch MOTG on the repeat showing!

angelamccann
11-27-2002, 06:31 PM
'Monarch Of The Glen' is good fun - I've only got into watching it this series, but it's pleasant stuff. When I ran a school library years ago, Susan Hampshire came to visit, long before this series began - she talked about her dyslexia and her acting, and had the kids eating out of her hand (not literally - they weren't allowed food in the library:) )

You'll love that Graham Norton special - hopefully it won't be edited too much for US TV. The best part is when Dolly sings 'Rudolph The Red Nosed Reindeer' - keep your eye on Graham in the background. Oh, and there's another clip near the beginning where Graham goes into Dolly's apartment and climbs on her bed - he actually says 'Garth, you - ' before spotting something - and never finishes the sentence. If ever I meet him, I'm going to ask him what he was going to say!

Angela x

BLL
11-27-2002, 06:33 PM
It's on BBC America, so it won't be edited. Now I AM impatient, lol!!

GriggsGarthGirl
11-27-2002, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by fuzzwuzz
Man! Some of us Garth fans are such a tough audience!

Garth made me a tough audience and I'm so thankful he did! He showed me how music should be treated and I no longer settle for anything less than amazing. Did you see the movie? If you didn't then you have no way of knowing how good and or bad it was.

fuzzwuzz
11-28-2002, 05:23 PM
True. I didn't see it. But I'd like to think better of it anyway if you don't mind. Tim takes good care of the music and I respect that. Please tell me what you actually liked about it? Surely there was something???

Garth_FANtasizer
11-30-2002, 02:17 PM
Funny, isn't it, that when other artists do the "media blitz," the reporters write it as "promotion" for a new CD, but when Garth did it, he was criticized for it, and called A Marketing Scheme. :rolleyes:

Just imagine if Garth were to have made a movie, a book and a special like Tim did, or put two CD's of the SAME music in one package that is counted as double sales like Shania did. What do you think they would say? I'll tell you... "All he cares about are the numbers!"

I'm not saying anything is wrong with what anyone is doing, quite the contrary. Numbers count in the industry! It's good business, and selling the music after you make it is what keeps you able to go back into the studio to make more. Why is it they can't see it when it comes to Garth?

~Ann~ <-- scratching her head at the duplicity!

fuzzwuzz
12-01-2002, 02:03 AM
You're right Ann. Garth does seem to take more hits and bullet wounds, for everybody else too, it would seem.