PDA

View Full Version : Songbook Hit By Hit

bal2001bc
11-22-2002, 06:29 PM
Taken from New Country - Chris Shelburne

Along with my other post, I thought you may like to read Trisha's view on the songs or what they are about.

Enjoy

FOR (Songbook) A Collection of Hits, Trisha Yearwood has assembled nine favorites and three sure-fire smashes. Here, she shares her thoughts on the music that has established her voice as the home that every song hopes to find.

How Do I Live
(Diane Warren)
"A song might move you the first time, or the first few times, but it's hard for a song to continue to have that effect on you. And this one does."

The Song Remembers When
(Hugh Prestwood)
"If I had to choose one song I was proudest of having recorded, it would be this one. It's such a great representation of the power that music has."

The Wrong Side of Memphis
(Matraca Berg, Gary Harrison)
"I chose this song mainly because it felt like me—packing up my car and leaving everything behind just to get to Nashville."

In Another's Eyes
Duet with Garth Brooks
(Bobby Wood, John Peppard, Garth Brooks)
"Garth Brooks and I have been talking about a duet for a long time and I'm hoping this will be the first of many."

The Woman Before Me
(Jude Johnstone)
"The reason it was such a success at radio was because everybody comes into a relationship with a past and I think everybody can relate to that."

Perfect Love
(Stephony Smith, Sunny Russ)
"I really thought it described my life with [my husband] Robert a lot. We sit on the front porch and drink our coffee. We do those normal everyday things."

Thinkin' About You
(Bob Regan, Tom Shapiro)
"This was one of those songs influenced by knowing Robert, because it was a positive song, but not syrupy. It really did remind me of Robert when I heard it."

Down on My Knees
(Beth Nielsen Chapman)
"It was a scratch vocal. [My producer] Garth Fundis said, 'You shouldn't fix it.' That was when I learned there was something about emotion in a song."

She's in Love With the Boy
(Jon Ims)
"I thought, 'This is my life.' I grew up in a small town, I'm the youngest daughter, and nobody's ever good enough for Dad's little girl."

Walkaway Joe
(Vince Melamed, Greg Bamhill)
"When I heard it, it sounded like a Don Henley record. I wasn't sure if I could pull it off. I met Don Henley, and asked him to sing on it. He made it perfect."

XXX's and 000's (An American Girl)
(Alice Randall, Matraca Berg)
"If you ask any 3- or 4-year-old girl what her favorite song is, it's either gonna be 'She's in Love With the Boy' or'XXX's and 000's.'"

Like We Never Had a Broken Heart
(Garth Brooks, Pat Alger)
"Pat [Alger] decided to do a demo on it. And then I'm thinking. Why am I not doing this!? It was a natural to get Garth [Brooks] to sing on it."

I need get the Cd out myself as I must have missed off "Like We Never Had a Broken Heart"

Still one of my all times fave's is "Walkaway Joe"

Take care and :)

gb*ty*girlie
11-25-2002, 03:11 PM
thanks so much for posting that...i love to hear(or read) about what trisha thinks of her songs, and if she sees them the same way we do...and "like we never had a broken heart" is a great song, and in my opinion was the perfect end to that cd...i also love what she said about "XXX's and OOO's", because that was one of my favorite songs when i was a kid...anyways, thanks again for the post!!!

bal2001bc
11-26-2002, 08:51 PM
Glad you liked it.

It's always nice to know why a song was written.

We always have our own version though and it nice to see how far out we were.

AngelTrisha9
11-27-2002, 12:10 AM
This is what she had to say about the songs on Inside Out:

Love Alone
(Dan Colehour/David Grissom)
I haven't met either one of these songwriters but I loved this song from the first time Mark Wright played it for me. Its always a challenge for me to find up-tempo songs that are smart. And its positive! Oh my God. Who'd a thought? This is such a feel-good song to me.

I Would've Loved You Anyway
(Mary Danna/Troy Verges)
My autobiography set to music! You don't love somebody and then one day decide you don't love them anymore. I don't have regrets about the way I have loved in my life, even though it hasn't always worked out the way I wanted it to. I think thats what this song says.

For Awhile
(Matraca Berg/Ronnie Samoset)
Well, aside from the fact that Matraca Berg is my hero, I love this song because it is about finding something to smile about even when life isn't so great. I love the line "poor ole Coyote, someone had a worse day than me for a change." And I especially love the Julia Roberts line! I LOVE movies, and everytime I leave the theater, I am still in whatever character I have become during the film. When I go see a Julia Roberts movie I am ALWAYS Julia in my mind, so this is truely me.

Seven Year Ache
(Roseanne Cash)
The song alone is nostalgic for me, because I bought Roseanne's album that had this song on it when it came out in the early 80's. To have her put her stamp of approval on this song by singing on it is such an honor.

I Don't Paint Myself Into Corners
(Trey Bruce/Rebecca Lynn Howard)
At the moment this is my favorite cut on the album(It changes daily!). This song doesn't place the blame for a failed relationship on the other person, It acknowledges that a lot of the responsibility is on "me". Musically, it is such a beautifully written song with that sweeping melody. And having the harmony voices of Vince Gill and Liana Manis makes it spectacular for me.

Harmless Heart
(Kim Patten Johnston/Liz Rose)
Ah, I speak from experience....enough said!

Inside Out
(Bryan Adams/Gretchen Peters)
An intelligent song about getting to know someone before jumping in. Wanting to know all the good and all the bad. I like that. I thought of Don Henley immediately for this, because it just sounded like him, and we've been trying to find something to sing together ever since "Walkaway Joe". This seemed to fit. He's perfect isn't he?

Love Let Go
(Hughe Prestwood)
This is the same guy who wrote "The Song Remembers When" But I think some people will be surprised at that, since this song is so different from that. I love the swampy "feel" of this song. And the harmonies at the end inspired us to call this our "country and eastern" cut! Buddy Miller and Bob, Vicki and Kim gave this record that swampy, eerie quality it has. In the lyric, you're consumed by this love, but every now and then, just for a second, you get some relief and let it go. Amen.

Melancholy Blue
(Tom Douglas/Harlan Howard)
I have recorded some depressing songs before....but this one takes the cake! I was as surprised as the next guy when I found out at the end of the song that she's not just pining over a failed romance, she's actually pining over her dead love...It doesn't get more gut wrenching than that. Gorgeous song, beautifully written. I have always loved Harlans writing, and now count myself a fan of Tom Douglas as well.

Second Chance
(Irene Kelley/Clay Mills/Tony Ramey)
I was on the road last summer, not even thinking about making a new record, and I did ONE show with Irene Kelley. Thank God I did. She gave me a CD with a couple of new songs she had written. After I listened to it, I immediately put this one on "hold". Even though I hadn't played it for anybody else and had no idea when I was going back into the studio, I knew I wanted it. What an inspiring song about trying to love again. Its a testament to the power of a good song that it could stay "in the running" after hearing thousands of other songs.

Love Me or Leave Me Alone
(Karyn Rochelle/Shaye Smith)
Mark Wright sent over a song for me to hear that he liked, and this was the OTHER song on the CD. I just couldn't get it out of my head. It sounded to pop for me, so when we decided to record it, I kept saying that this would be a "special" cut, maybe for international release only...Well, we ended up loving it, and here it is. I say, after David Campbell worked his string magic on this record that it sounds like Trisha meets the Goo Goo Dolls!

When We Were Still In Love
(Jude Johnstone)
Jude always seems to mail me these little gems every couple of years. This song is about the promise of love and the sadness that comes when it goes. We rehearsed this with the string quintet and with Steve Nathan at the piano. I was standing by the piano running through it with everybody, and Mark suggested we record it that way. We recorded it in just one "take", and everyone did their part without using headphones. The reason it sounds like a live chamber-music performance is because it basically is.

bal2001bc
11-28-2002, 08:48 PM
Thansk for that post.

It always nice to hear more of what the artist's base there songs on.