PDA

View Full Version : Garth in a commercial (sort of)

ProducerJ
11-14-2002, 12:16 PM
I was listening to one of the local country stations yesterday, and they were in commercials. I was paying NO attention, until I heard the line -

Don't miss the bulls and blood, the dust and mud!

It was some sort of bull riding / rodeo / roping thing.... Funny how those lines caught my attention!
J.

GBronx
11-14-2002, 12:45 PM
Joyce!!! Hmmm I wonder why that stuck in your mind? ;)

Unfortunately here abouts (NYC) we still don't hear any country music on the radio!!!

Tony Arata

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take,
but by the moments that take our breath away!

boppityboo
11-14-2002, 02:44 PM
LOL, that's cool Joyce. I actually saw Garth's Dr. Pepper commercial, not the WUIY one, but the one with his girls, for the first time last weekend. I wasn't paying attention either, until I heard a little girl's voice talking about how my dad left the road for us or something like that. I zoom in on the tv and there's Garth beautiful face staring out of it. lol. What a treat. :) Unfortunately I haven't seen it again. My eldest daughter promptly says, 'You have to get that one taped, mom." My kids know me so well. lol.

Ellie:)

P.S. I know those are only actors who play his kids, cool just the same.

ProducerJ
11-18-2002, 12:06 AM
:) Interesting how our Garth Radar works, isn't it Ellie?

Jo don't give up hope... Big City is on the auction block, and some other ownership group just bought some stations in NYC, and I've heard there might be hope on the horizon that Garth music may be heard in the Big Apple again!

J.

GBronx
11-18-2002, 01:14 PM
Joyce,
Thanks for the encouragement!!

BUT... I'll believe it when I hear it!! ;)

Tony Arata
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take,
but by the moments that take our breath away!

NYGBFAN1
11-18-2002, 07:11 PM
I know how you feel. I moved back to New York last year from New Port Richey Florida (30 miles nw of TAMPA) and can't deal with not having a country radio station to listen to. Cabel doesn't even offer CMT with basic coverage. Down in Tampa there are 3 different stations to choice from. Well at least I have all Garth's CD's. We really do need a country station in this city it might make some of these people nicer:)

bal2001bc
11-18-2002, 07:16 PM
Do you pay for Net calls?

If not , there's always Net Radio despite it can break up depending on speed?

I use to listen to Y107 I think from here but a friend told me Amy don't work their no more.

I do miss the times I use to call live on air from the UK.

The goodtimes

Take care

ProducerJ
11-18-2002, 07:24 PM
Welcome NYGBfan! Glad to have you on the planet! I think country music just might be what NYC needs :).

Bal, Y107 is the NY station that changed to a Hispanic music channel, leaving NYC, the nation's largest radio market, Garth-less. AND - I just checked the ratings, they came in 29th out of the Top 30 stations in NYC this rating period.
:(

J.

bal2001bc
11-18-2002, 07:33 PM
Now I feel a "Victim of the Game"

Why did Y107 go?

I just tried checking the website and it's totaly gone.

Can't believe so much has happened size I got worse myself and only recently came back to the Garth scene.

Is Harriet still around here?

Take care

Paula
11-18-2002, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by bal2001bc
Is Harriet still around here?

Take care Yes, Harriet pops in now and then. I'm pulling a blank on her screen name right now though.

Paula

ProducerJ
11-18-2002, 07:41 PM
Well it's a tough one to remember. Around these parts, she goes by...

Harriet

LOL@ Paula!

I just did some digging trying to remember where the country coming back to NYC rumor was coming from. Infinity recently promoted the big honcho at US-99 in Chicago "America's Country Music Station," to a group position with it's stations in NYC. He did some pretty remarkable station branding with WUSN.
J.

bal2001bc
11-18-2002, 07:41 PM
Thanks Paula

Now you don't know where Amy went do you from Y107?

Harriet may know though.

Thanks again

Paula
11-18-2002, 07:54 PM
You mean that Harriet is as original as I am with a screen name?? Now I feel like I'm in really good company.:p Anyway, she used to go by kntrykitty at one point, but knew she wasn't using that here.

Bal, sorry I don't know where Amy went...Y107 is/was out of my reception area.

Paula

GBFAN*TASTIC
11-18-2002, 07:59 PM
I really don't "know" NYC but it amazes me that,with apparently little radio play for country music, that Garth was able to hold the biggest ever concert in Central Park. We're they all there just for a free concert, all out of town'ers or is it a mix of the two and/or that Garth's music is more wide spread than radio thinks it controls. Everyone talks about Air Play and I know that it was heavily promoted(but arn't all the big concerts there), so why did Garth overwelm NYC? CUZ HE"S THE MAN!!!!

bal2001bc
11-18-2002, 08:01 PM
Only me again, lol

Is this station any good www.wgna.com

Not sure it's online though.

I also found this there?

http://www.countrynow.com/cn_artistprofile/1,1559,WGNA,00.html?FID=1412

I may have to search around my digi Sat for Country stuff over here.

Take care and thanks for the update here

Harriet
11-19-2002, 12:20 AM
I heard my name mentioned, lol! Bal! Long time no see, buddy! I'm still around these parts, occassionally, lol...yes, Paula, I used to go by kntrykitty 100 yrs ago...before I got a real computer and was using webtv..but I was always registered as Harriet here...you were thinking of my email address..kntrykitty is history now, hah...
welcome NYGBFan1, nice to see another NY'er on here...you from the city?
as for the whole NY country radio thing...it totally stinks..it boggles my mind that in a city known for it's cultural diversity and being able to get anything from anywhere at anytime, country music is unattainable here...you want ox-tail soup at 4am? no problem...you want to switch on the radio in the middle of the night (or any other time) and hear a garth song? no way, Jose...
I had read all about Big City, Joyce, but there was an article in the paper about it, and the headline read...No future for country in the city...I think that about says it all...country is a forgotten format here...7 different hispanic stations, hip-hop, rap, whatever...dance/techno, top-40, you name it, we've got choices for each format..but not ONE country station...this city is harsh!
Bal, Amy is living near Baltimore now..she got married and she's part-timing at a station there I believe...Jo may have more info on that...
oh Paula, email me your address..the one I have must be wrong cause something I sent you bounced back to me...
I think that's about it for this check-in!
hugs to all..
Harriet

Harriet
11-19-2002, 12:30 AM
oops! that wasn't all! forgot to comment on central park...when you're from the city, you understand these things...when there's an event of that magnitude, you go, even if you aren't a particular FAN of the music, that's just the way it is...it becomes one big party, those free concerts in CP...PLUS, there WERE people who flew in from all over the world to see garth...real garth people..but most of the local NY'ers who came, were not fans of garth per se..they went to be able to say "I was there"...they promoted the heck out of it all over the city with posters and fliers and billboards and stuff, so it was very OUT THERE and that created a buzz...I remember that street vendors were selling cheap cowboy hats all over the city that week...you gotta admit, NY'ers can get into the spirit of things with gusto!! I'd be interested to know if garth's record sales in NY picked up in the weeks surrounding the CP concert..is there any way to find that out so many years after the fact?

Paula
11-19-2002, 08:42 AM
Originally posted by Harriet
yes, Paula, I used to go by kntrykitty 100 yrs ago...before I got a real computer and was using webtv..but I was always registered as Harriet here...you were thinking of my email address..kntrykitty is history now, hah... I knew you had made the leap from webtv, and I knew that wasn't the name you used, but I couldn't think what it was. Then I remembered the name I thought you were using. Weren't you also brooklynbeliever or something like that...or is that someone else I'm thinking of?
oh Paula, email me your address..the one I have must be wrong cause something I sent you bounced back to me... Check your email.

Paula

Harriet
11-20-2002, 10:58 PM
yes, I got your email Paula..thanks!You should have mail from me by now... I am still Bklynbelvr for email and im 's... but when I registered here I was still on webtv so Bklynbelvr didn't exist yet, and I don't know why I didn't register here as Kntrykitty, but I'm glad I didn't cause that name's a done deal...I just went with my own name when I registered here at PG for some strange reason...
hugs..
Harriet

Paula
11-21-2002, 08:38 AM
Originally posted by Harriet
yes, I got your email Paula..thanks!You should have mail from me by now... Haven't received anything yet.

Paula

Harriet
11-23-2002, 07:14 AM
well, I tried emailing you, Paula, but it bounced back to me again!I don't understand why...
hugs..
Harriet