PDA

View Full Version : Garth mentioned in The Oklahoman

racmac
10-08-2002, 07:35 AM
Hi All,

Was surfing around and found this in The Oklahoman.

Street names show towns' pride in homegrown stars

2002-10-07

By Ellie Sutter
The Oklahoman

Country has always been cool in Oklahoma. Many folks engaged in the country music business call Oklahoma home, and several of them are from the metropolitan area.

In response to musical fame, some communities have claimed bragging rights. Officials from area cities and towns have named streets for their hometown heroes, painted their names on water towers and put signs at city limits to inform motorists that someone special is from their community.

A portion of 11th Street in Yukon is now Garth Brooks Boulevard, which runs past the high school he graduated from in 1980.

The street was dedicated May 31, 1992, and Brooks came to town for the occasion.

He joked that he had probably paid enough speeding fines on the street to pave it.

He told a standing-room-only crowd at the school's Fine Arts Auditorium that Yukon was still his hometown and always would be.

"When I come to town, everything feels the same. I'm still the bum I was when I was here and people still treat me like me," Brooks said. "Whoever said you can't go home wasn't from Yukon, Oklahoma."

The city painted his name on their water tower in big red letters, and signs have been erected at the city limits indicating that Brooks calls Yukon home.

Rachael :)

Ruthanna
10-08-2002, 09:53 PM
That's AWESOME RACHAEL!!!!!!! You always seem to find the cool things!!!!!!!! The banner is now going back up!!!

Sarah:)

ProducerJ
10-08-2002, 11:51 PM
Rachael - I meant to thank you earlier and apparently forgot - thank you not only for sharing the Garthy parts here, but for leaving out the parts about the more arrogant Okie....
:D
YOU ROCK!
J.

Paula
10-09-2002, 08:27 AM
Originally posted by ProducerJ
Rachael - I meant to thank you earlier and apparently forgot - thank you not only for sharing the Garthy parts here, but for leaving out the parts about the more arrogant Okie....
:D
YOU ROCK!
J. Ummm...do you mean I have to find this article online to read about "you know who"? Well, if I do find it, I'll share it in the Other Artists Forum.:p

Paula

Paula
10-09-2002, 07:38 PM
Thank you Rachael for the link to the complete article that I will share in the Other Artists Forum. As I told you in PM, RACHAEL ROCKS is not adequate enough.

Anyway, there was a little more about Garth further down in the article -
Yukon City Manager Jim Crosby said he does not think that being the Home of Garth Brooks has brought economic development to his city.

"But he's certainly brought a lot of recognition to the state of Oklahoma," Crosby said.

As for Yukon, there is not a museum or even a souvenir shop dedicated to Brooks.

Although Brooks' childhood home is still standing, Crosby said he's not sure of its address.

When the "Garth Books" street signs first went up, there was a concern by some city officials that the signs might be carted home by fans, but that apparently did not happen.I think we could all enlighten Mr. Crosby as to the address of Garth's childhood home.:)

Paula

allisonv7
10-09-2002, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by Paula

When the "Garth Books" street signs first went up, there was a concern by some city officials that the signs might be carted home by fans, but that apparently did not happen.

Just wait Mr. Crosby, you never know whats going to happen! ;)

allison.