PDA

View Full Version : Bono Named Most Powerful in Music

fuzzwuzz
10-04-2002, 02:58 PM
I wonder if Garth has ever been on a list like this in the same light? Like when George magazine asked if this man(Garth) can save America, wasn't it? If not, I don't believe it's over yet! Garth will be back in the game all over again. :)

OCTOBER 04, 07:08 ET
Bono Named Most Powerful in Music

By The Associated Press

LONDON (AP) Bono, the globe-trotting, conscience-tugging singer with Irish rock group U2, is the most powerful man in music, according to a poll of music industry figures.

Bono, whose given name is Paul Hewson, tops a list compiled by music magazine Q. The top 10 names were released Thursday.

U2, formed in Dublin more than 20 years ago, remains one of the world's top-selling groups.

Bono, 42, has also emerged as a powerful lobbyist for causes such as relieving the debt of the world's poorest nations.

Earlier this year, he traveled through Africa with U.S. Treasury Secretary Paul O'Neill. Time magazine profiled him under the headline ``Can Bono save the world?''

The top 10 are Bono; Doug Morris, chairman and chief executive officer, Universal Music Group; Eminem; L. Lowry Mays, founder of U.S. entertainment firm Clear Channel; Kurt Cobain; Thom Yorke; Lyor Cohen, president and chief executive officer, Island-Def Jam; Clive Calder, head of Zomba Music Group; Paul McCartney-Yoko Ono, Apple Corps. Ltd.; and Simon Fuller, former manager of the Spice Girls.

The magazine will publish the full list of the 50 most powerful people in music in its November issue.

http://wire.ap.org/APnews/?FRONTID=ARTS

no1cowgirl
10-05-2002, 12:08 PM
Wow...pretty impressive, really. Bono really is such a strong force in the industry, though. He's so involved with soooo many things. Very cool.

Krista

Honeybunny31
10-05-2002, 04:18 PM
It was done my the British Magizine "Q". I think the rest of the list comes out in November.

Take Care,

Lisa

Honeybunny31
10-05-2002, 04:19 PM
And if I would of taken the time to read the whole post, I would of sat back a shut up...lol

Sorry Fuzz

Take Care

fuzzwuzz
10-06-2002, 12:37 AM
Lisa, when it does can you let us know who the other 40 are on the list who didn't make the top 10? I wonder if Garth or any other country singers might be on it?

angelamccann
10-07-2002, 06:29 PM
In common with most British magazines, Q actually releases issues a month ahead of the cover date - though in fact Q is released 13 times each year, so one month gets 2 issues (it's one every 4 weeks), and each time that happens they have to think up a name for the extra issue!

The November issue is supposed to be out here now, but I haven't seen a copy yet - when I do, I'll see if Garth's on the list and let you know. Have my suspicions he won't be though - Q don't take much notice of our man, and when they do, they try to put a negative spin on it (Chris Gaines was dismissed as a mid-life crisis, even though they gave the CD a good review, and its 'failure' was headlined in their news section less than 3 months after the album was released in the US!).

Angela x

fuzzwuzz
10-08-2002, 12:17 AM
Dang. This guy just don't quit! My brother says he likes the "old U2" before they went and got so political. I told him, "no way! they are better than ever!" I think we NEED leaders like this man helping to use the platform music has given him to make the world a better place.

U2 frontman Bono (real name: Paul Hewson) has been chosen as the 2003 MusiCares Person of the Year. The honor will be bestowed on the Irish singer during a Feb. 21 New York tribute dinner and silent auction. The event will take place two days before the 45th annual Grammy Awards at Madison Square Garden, marking the event's return to the city for the first time since 1998.

Established by the Recording Academy in 1989, MusiCares works to focus the resources and attention of the music industry on human service issues that directly impact the health and welfare of the music community.

"Bono is a living symbol of what the MusiCares Foundation and the Recording Academy stand for," Recording Academy chairman Garth Fundis said in a statement. "His musical accomplishments are matched only by his endeavors to effect positive change on the human condition worldwide."

Last year's Person of the Year event honored Billy Joel, and featured performances by Tony Bennett, Jon Bon Jovi and Richie Sambora, Garth Brooks, Diana Krall, matchbox twenty's Rob Thomas, and pianist Richard Joo. Other past honorees include Paul Simon (2001), Elton John (2000), Stevie Wonder (1999), Luciano Pavarotti (1998), and Phil Collins (1997).

Proceeds from the Person of the Year event benefit the MusiCares Financial Assistance Program, which provides members of the community with aid for financial, medical, and personal hardships. For information on attending the 2003 MusiCares Person of the Year event, contact Dana Tomarken at the Recording Academy (310-392-3777).

-- Barry A. Jeckell, N.Y.

http://www.billboard.com/billboard/daily/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1734844

angelamccann
10-08-2002, 08:01 PM
And, needless to say, no Garth. Though to be honest, I don't see a single name from country music in any case, so Q have obviously decided that doesn't count in their definition of 'music' as it only covers rock and pop - you would think they'd cover classical too, but no. So here's the rundown, in reverse order.

Q Magazine Presents:
The 50 Most Powerful People In Music - 2002

'The stars with sway, the moguls with muscle, the men and women with the biggest brass <expletive deleted> in the biz right now. Take their call... or die!"

50. Michael Stipe
49. Tom Freston (MTV CEO)
48. Sharon Osbourne
47. Michael Jackson
46. Norman Cook (otherwise known as Fatboy Slim - though his real first name is actually Quentin!)
45. David Bowie
44. Elvis Presley Enterprises
43. Noel & Liam Gallagher
42. Ross Robinson (metal mastermind)
41. Sir Mick Jagger & Keith Richards
40. Sir Elton John
39. David Geffen
38. Cliff Burnstein & Peter Mensch
37. Britney Spears
36. Kevin Weatherly (bandbreaker for American radio)
35. Alan Levy (EMI recorded music CEO)
34. Jonathan Davis
33. Terry McBride (Head of Nettwork Management)
32. Madonna
31. Julian Casablancas
30. Moby
29. Kylie Minogue
28.Simon Cowell
27. Lucian Grange (CEO of Universal Music UK)
26. Antonio 'LA' Reid
25. Robbie Willliams
24. Jay-Z
23. Roger Ames
22. Tommy Mottola
21. Shakira
20. Chester Bennington
19. Byonce Knowles
18. Irv Gotti
17. Chad Kroeger
16. Clive Davis ('big cheese' of Columbia/Arista/J Records)
15. Pharrell Williams & Hugo Chad (producers)
14. Fred Durst
13. Jeff Kwatinetz (management CEO)
12. Jimmy Iovine
11. Dr Dre
10. Simon Fuller (British pop svengali)
9. Sir Paul McCartney & Yoko Ono (keepers of The Beatles' eternal flame)
8. Clive Calder (Chairman of Zomba music group)
7. Lyor Cohen (CEO of Def Jam)
6. Thom Yorke
5. Kurt Cobain (the fact that someone who died 8 years ago makes it this high in the chart makes it even more ridiculous Garth was ignored)
4. L Lowry Mays (founder of Clear Channel)
3. Eminem
2. Doug Morris (Chairman of Universal Music)
1. BONO

I find it quite depressing that Q can't even compose a chart without banging on about their own musical biases - Thom Yorke is a good musician and songwriter, but power? Hardly. And Julian Casablancas higher than Madonna - hmm.

Angela x

fuzzwuzz
10-09-2002, 12:18 AM
Angela, thank you for sharing that. I must say though, after scanning the list and seeing Mick Jagger and Keith Richards names together, which kinda makes sense even now, and then Paul McCartney's put together with Yoko Ono's after all these years, I almost choked laughing at the irony! :)

ProducerJ
10-09-2002, 12:27 AM
I bet Paul's just thrilled with being lumped together with Yoko!

And who the heck put Britney Spears higher than Elton John? Can't the Queen be-head them or something?

:) Thanks for sharing Angela.
J. <-- rolling her eyes at Number 4.

angelamccann
10-11-2002, 04:00 PM
No. 5 was the one which had my eyes rollling (publicity for the rundown stated 'The 5th most powerful person in music is dead' - as it turns out, Kurt Cobain only appears in the list because of the involvement in his estate of Courtney Love and the other members of Nirvana. Now, if Kurt gets in the list rather than Courtney - why Yoko Ono and not John Lennon?

Angela x

P.S. There's an article in the latest issue of Q which presents a glossary of musical terms - in a three-page article they manage to trash Garth's name twice. I can't get over the fact they give his albums decent and sometimes great reviews, yet refuse to accord Garth as an artist any respect.

fuzzwuzz
10-11-2002, 10:42 PM
I'd wager to bet it's because they forgot how to respect the man behind the music first, or maybe even the music itself.

angelamccann
10-12-2002, 01:00 PM
Absolutely true, Fuzz - plus, they have their favourite 'can do no wrong' artists (U2 for example), and a more than healthy chip on their shoulders about the lack of success of British acts in the US at the moment. So much overblowing for music that's, frankly, generally underwhelming (Oasis and Radiohead being the two examples that skip to my mind).

Angela x

fuzzwuzz
10-12-2002, 11:24 PM
You know what I love about U2? How Bono knows what he is made of and lets God use him anyway. :) He sees the sense of humor in that. :) He also goes where no church-goer would ever venture in a "rat-infested" world. :) Good thing rats tend to overpopulate. The good ones can then go get the bad ones. :)