PDA

View Full Version : Jo Dee Messina "star stats"

fuzzwuzz
10-04-2002, 03:07 AM
from the current issue of County Weekly:

Born: Aug. 25, 1970.

Full name: Jo Dee Messina. She was named after her uncle, Joseph Dunlap, a.k.a. Joe D.

On her arrival in Nashville: In Oct. Jo Dee lit out for Music City in a Pontiac Sunbird with $500 in her pocket. In Nashville, she befriended another struggling singer, Tim McGraw, and the two encouraged each other through the lean years. By 1995, Tim had hit the top of the charts and Jo Dee signed a deal with Curb Records. And their friendship has continued, with Tim co-producing all of Jo Dee's albums. :)

I bring this up because I was wondering if this is also when Garth and her became friends, right before he REALLY hit the big-time and out-distanced Clint Black? About what month and year would you all say Garth had finally arrived? I wonder how many more artists Garth counts as "good friends"? :)

fuzzwuzz
10-04-2002, 03:05 PM
Oh wow! I meant to put this on the thread where we had been talking about Jo Dee working with George Strait.

Paula
10-04-2002, 06:16 PM
You did Dale...I moved it to a thread of its own. :)

Paula

ProducerJ
10-04-2002, 11:37 PM
Garth and JoDee are good friends? I didn't know that.
J.

fuzzwuzz
10-05-2002, 12:25 AM
Joyce, if you go and read what I had shared on Paula's George Strait thread you will find the reason I had wanted this other info posted there instead where the issue was first brought up. :)

I'm not mad though, just concerned that we forget that what the music brings together is sacred, and was not meant to be separated, like in marriage.

Garthmedic
10-05-2002, 10:20 AM
I like her. She's.........spunky. :p

--spud--:)

no1cowgirl
10-05-2002, 12:14 PM
Spud, you just think she's hot...admit it.

ProducerJ
10-06-2002, 12:26 AM
Yes Dale, I've read the George Strait thread, and posted there too I believe, but that doesn't change the fact that I personally didn't know and haven't ever heard of JoDee Messina and Garth Brooks being good friends.

The first time I ever saw Brad Paisley in concert he was opening at a George Strait festival, but if I had an article about when he came to Nashville, who he was named after, and his collaborations with Chely Wright, I wouldn't think to post it in a George Strait thread.

So I confess again...
Garth and JoDee are good friends? I didn't know that.
J.

fuzzwuzz
10-06-2002, 12:57 AM
Yup! He said so at the first annual Warner Brothers Music Radio Awards. :) I had shared that in the thread when someone brought her up as working with George. :) And I thought it interesting that she was around in 1990 when Garth was just getting started. I thought to post it there because of the already established relationship she had with George and Garth, and I also thought the above info shed more light on her ties to Garth, Tim, and probably others that came from that time period in Nashville.

Anyway, the thought came to me about a truth that was brought up by "Sam", played by Sean Penn, in I Am Sam. He made the wise observation that even the whole world knew the sad day the Beatles broke up that it felt wrong. Well, isn't country music about that love even bigger than the Beatles that Joe Diffie sings about? When we talk about our country "stars" we are talking family. To me, it's only natural to bring them up in how they go together, not in how they don't. Hope that kinda explains "my side" of it better. :)

I'm trying to think of others I have heard Garth mention as "good friends." Elton John was one, on Hollywood Squares. I wonder when that happened?

GriggsGarthGirl
10-06-2002, 01:31 AM
Sometimes when you're hosting an awards show, or even CRL or MWL, every other artist is 'your best friend' or 'good buddy.' It doesn't matter if you just met them backstage or if you've known them for years. It's just the polite thing to say, I think.

fuzzwuzz
10-06-2002, 01:50 AM
I've never know Garth to lie, or say things like that lightly in passing. I take him at his word as he has asked us to do in giving him the benefit of the doubt. To me, it's the same as when I tell my customers "Have a nice day." I ain't fooling when I say it. And when they question my "I love my customers" button with, "do you really love me?" I say, "Of course! And I'm sure the feeling is mutual." Yeah, it's the polite thing to do. But it's even better to do it because you want to.

No siree. I'll never believe Garth is an ass kisser or a back-stabber. And I believe he knows who his friends are and who he can trust. Jo Dee must be one of them.

ProducerJ
10-06-2002, 04:30 PM
Yeah, that's what I was thinking Amy, he's usually pretty public about who his friends are in the biz, odd that she would have been shut out of all the things that he's included people like Steve and Trisha and Martina in through the years. There's one awards show host I can almost see cringe when he's has to read the prompter introducing his good friends, LOL.
J.

fuzzwuzz
10-06-2002, 09:35 PM
I don't see Garth cringing at all. I see the love in his eyes as he says it.

GriggsGarthGirl
10-07-2002, 12:07 AM
I think Garth is someone who honestly believes that old saying 'there are no strangers here, only friends I haven't met yet.' Everyone is a friend to him. I've never met him, but from what I've heard he treats every fan as a long lost friend. So it would make sense that that friendship would extend to fellow singers. Garth has made it pretty obvious who his closest friends are in the industry and if Jo Dee were on that list we'd know about it.

fuzzwuzz
10-08-2002, 12:44 AM
Well, it's "official" then, because Garth actually said it. :)