PDA

View Full Version : Clarification

Monica Lockhart
10-03-2002, 01:33 AM
I want to clarify the guidelines regarding posts or threads mentioning or discussing MP3 files.

As we have stated in the past, out of respect to Garth and knowing how he feels about MP3's and file sharing, we have not allowed posts advertising or offering MP3's in the forums. We have been a little too strict lately in regards to all posts regarding the file sharing subject. After much thought, I decided it was best to address the issue publically instead of on an individual basis.

It is fine to discuss the subject of MP3's.. or mention them in a post or thread.

Posts that advertise the sale or trade of an MP3 will not be allowed.

For instance.. you may not post a thread asking if anyone has a specific MP3. You may not post a thread offering to send an MP3 to someone.

I hope that this will resolve some of the confusion regarding this subject.

If you have questions, please contact a moderator or myself.

Thanks,

Monica

fuzzwuzz
10-04-2002, 03:35 PM
Call me ignorant but aren't some mp3's legal and endorsed by the artists on their actual sites or sites that sell their music?

allisonv7
10-04-2002, 03:43 PM
Yes, but I believe this talk is 'banned' becuase Garth has said he doesn't support them, so its not to be discussed here.

A moderator can probably give you a better answer, but thats my quickie :)

allison.

bal2001bc
10-04-2002, 06:22 PM
fuzzwuzz

yes you are correct.

MP3's are legal and are sold legally but a number of artist's etc. Also MP3's are legal if you have the orignal song/s.

Monica

I think you should clear the matter up of links to video clips as they can be saved also from PG.

I did suggest that Brandon disables right mouse click.

Sorry to comment on this but I can't see the sense on banning onething and not other things which break other rules.

Sorry

troyal147
10-06-2002, 03:32 PM
the file sharing device i use, was proved to be LEGAL by a supreme court judge, and there is ton of garth on it, if he has that big of a problem with people LISTENING TO AND LOVING his music he should take them to court. anyways like he is short money, like any artist is...when it comes to garth I only use the "rare" versions, as for the cd's i only have three actual cd's of each print, so in case one get's lost plus one copy of each is not opened for "collecting" sake!

Snow
10-06-2002, 03:46 PM
Troyal

It wasn't for his own profit that he made his position clear on the file sharing. He's not against legal filesharing. The issue he is concerned about is that the writers of the music do not get compensated for songs that are shared illegally.

Music writers are in general NOT mega-rich. They write songs, sell them and for the most part the money they receive often comes from royalties when the songs are purchased or played for profit. The artist can often recoup these losses through concerts and other avenues (if they are popular enough). The writers don't have that advantage. If a song is traded illegally they are simply out of that money.

You're right that a big star isn't really hurt as much by such activities but the little performers are and without them tomorrow's music suffers.

It's funny that most can understand that it's wrong to copy a book or a painting and sell it on the blackmarket without paying the artist, but with music it supposed to be different?

At any rate... we've already had this discussion on PG so you can just to a search and find the threads on it.

The purpose of Moni's thread wasn't to debate filesharing. She simply let it be known that we were relaxing the regulations on discussing MP3's. Now they can be discussed where before they couldn't. You still can't share them on the messageboards. It was never said that you couldn't get them from a filesharing device. That is your business.

bal2001bc
10-06-2002, 05:49 PM
But it still doesn't answer the questions of why one form of sharing is banned and not other forms?

Is it right to share video clips which can be downloaded? Even when played through your media player the clip is still downloaded to your PC as a IE cache file. Media files should be only in teh format of a stream like realmedia where you don't have it saved and played direct.

Don't TV and other company's lose out not just Garth through these methods?

All I'm saying is that if you want to set standards then why pick and choose which you allow and which you think is fair in your opinion?

It's not Garth's battle to fight but but each government in every country to outlaw unathorised copying and trading of material.

I doubt they will ever stop it completely like every other crime.

I hope that clears matters.

bal2001bc
10-06-2002, 07:00 PM
I was thinking since I last posted and thought I should appolise if my last post sounded like a open debate.

I just wanted to make a point of view and it will be my one and only as SNOW has said, the whole thing has been discussed before and it is really upto Brandon on what he see's fit on PG.

I won't disgree with that and I hope I haven't offended anyone.

Take care