PDA

View Full Version : Need some Info

bal2001bc
09-14-2002, 08:20 PM
Sorry is this has been asked or there is somewhere I should have gone to look up this info but.

What is this Teammates for Kids?

Do you look for items you can sell too?

Thanks

ProducerJ
09-14-2002, 09:22 PM
Hey Bal -

Teammates For Kids is Garth's charity, based out of Denver, Colorado. Like the name suggests, he signs up "Teammates" - professional athletes - to help children's organizations all over the world. It started when he did Spring Training and with baseball players. They'd designate a "category" and set an amount they'd donate. For instance, a pitcher might donate $500 for every strikeout he got that season. Last year they added hockey players, and they are working on a 3rd division that includes fans and corporations.

That's an EXTREMELY simple explanation, but if you want to know more you will find lots of info and articles in this forum, or at the TFK website www.teammatesforkids.com. A few weeks ago Diane posted a list of the organizations that TFK has helped and it was mindboggling.

The BEST part is that 100% of the money donated goes to the kids. Garth takes care of all the operating and business costs for the foundation.

I don't understand your 2nd question, but hope that helps on the 1st.
J.

bal2001bc
09-14-2002, 09:27 PM
Thank you ProducerJ for the reply.

I'll read the info.

The 2nd question was :

To try and explain again, do you raise money here also by selling items or doing other things?

I started reading the threads here and theres a lot to read to see how people help.

Was that any better? It's late here and my brain seems to be going to sleep , lol

Thanks again for the reply

ProducerJ
09-14-2002, 10:11 PM
Ahhh... gotcha!

We did a charity auction at the convention last month where we all donated things to auction off. But mostly we just pick an "excuse" and gather donations for the cause. Like at the time of Garth's birthday we gathered up a few dollars here, a few dollars there, and made a donation in honor of his 40th birthday.

Mary Liz is working on getting some Teammates t-shirts and hats to sell, which will be an additional help. We are very excited about those!

The "strike" thread above this one is another good example. HAD our major league baseball players gone on strike, then that would have been a serious blow to TFK, as donations are based on their performance. So a bunch of people "pledged" 7 cents a day for as long as the players were on strike, or a one year @ that rate if they didn't. (And they didn't.)

It's different people participating each event, but over the past year or so PG members have donated a nice amount.
J.

ProducerJ
09-14-2002, 10:15 PM
Here's a link to the press release we put out at the time of the birthday donation... and there have been 2 more donations since then I believe!
J.

http://www.planetgarth.com/news/article.php?cid=00727

bal2001bc
09-14-2002, 10:21 PM
Thanks

Yeah , kids are the treasure of this world.

I have something which I can give at the next collection of items if it's of any help?

Thanks for all the info.

ProducerJ
09-14-2002, 10:24 PM
Cool Bal - there's talk of doing an online auction sometime this winter. :)

I just looked up the link to the list Diane posted of the charities TFK has helped. http://planetgarth.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=115247 Not just across the U.S., but Canada, Sweden, and Romania and beyond!

J.

bal2001bc
10-03-2002, 06:38 PM
Has there been any plans for this yet?

I mean the auction

Thanks

Monica Lockhart
10-03-2002, 08:09 PM
Bal,

We don't have another auction planned anytime in the near future.

When we have more information we'll post a thread in this forum.

Organizing an online auction is very time consuming and detailed. I would expect that if we do one it won't take place until after the first of next year.

:)

Moni

bal2001bc
10-04-2002, 05:56 PM
Pitty would have liked to sold this off and gave the money to TFK

Maybe another time

bal2001bc
10-04-2002, 05:57 PM
the other 6 months, lol