PDA

View Full Version : How young was you?

ThunderRolls
09-08-2002, 01:53 PM
Hi guys,
After talking to some garth fans about The first songs they 1st listened too, i got to thinking, i was 19 when i first heard Garth signing Papa loved mama, and when i heard that someone was 10 years old listening to aint going down till the sun comes up, it got me started, so.................

My question is.... "How old was you when you first heard the man himself Garth Brooks"

It will be interesting to see how young a age people got hooked on his music.

Carl.

Vanessa
09-08-2002, 01:55 PM
I was in 8th grade (in '97 or there about..) :)

Vanessa :)

GriggsGarthGirl
09-08-2002, 02:01 PM
I was 15 or 16 when I first heard Garth singing "We Shall Be Free." I might have heard him before then, but I didn't really listen until that song.

berriffic
09-08-2002, 02:05 PM
I was 12 when I heard if tomorrow never comes! in 91

<3 ber

ThunderRolls
09-08-2002, 02:08 PM
Wow thats good, so how old would you be in the 8th grade? im from the Uk and we dont have grades.

garthrulz
09-08-2002, 02:11 PM
I was about 18 when I first heard Garth and started listening to his music. My daughter however who is a huge Garth fan, was listening to him basically from the time she was born. She's 10 now, so she's always been a Garth fan.

Johnita.....

Vanessa
09-08-2002, 02:18 PM
I would have been 12 years ld in 8th grade. :)

Vanessa :)

Jude
09-08-2002, 02:47 PM
Hey Carl buddy

A few years ago...........

you don't ask a lady her age. Even me!

Jude

ThunderRolls
09-08-2002, 03:37 PM
Now Jude we all know you had your 21st birthday last week, LOL

ThunderRolls
09-08-2002, 03:46 PM
I sing if tomorrow never comes to my son who is still in hi smothers womb right now, but every time i sing that particular song he kicks even more than usual, so i know he is a Garth fan, he is due anytime now and i'll be singing that same song to him when he sleeps, which is really meaningful as the song says i lie awake and watch her sleeping, which is close enough, just gotta change it to him or you LOL

Carl

Honeybunny31
09-08-2002, 04:19 PM
I was 19 when I first heard " If tomorrow never comes" I was hooked from the start.. Was this his 2nd single?? or was "The Dance"??

Take Care All,

Lisa

boppityboo
09-08-2002, 05:04 PM
Hey Carl, ConGARTHulations on the upcoming birth of your child. Best of luck to you and your wife. :) Welcome to PG, btw. :) I was the ripe young age of 25, back in '91, when I first really heard If Tomorrow Never Comes on the radio. His first NBC special got me hooked for good though, in Jan' 92. My three kids have all heard Garth before they were born, with the exception of my eldest, she was 18 months at the time. :)

Ellie

ScoobLuvsGarth3
09-08-2002, 06:01 PM
in '97 i was 8 years old, so i was prolly about that age or maybe a couple years younger when i heard my first Garth song.
*~{*><*}MeLiSsA{*><*}~*

ThunderRolls
09-08-2002, 06:10 PM
Thank you ellie, anyday now he will be here.

ProducerJ
09-08-2002, 06:56 PM
Oh how cool Carl! Do you have a name picked out for the future Garth fan? Not Troyal, by chance? LOL

I don't know when I heard my first Garth song, but definately in the early stages of his career. Sometime while I was in college, for certain.
J.

Greeny
09-08-2002, 08:52 PM
I do not remember The youngest time I remember was I was 3 at my Cabin and my Mom Grandma and Aunts were playing Music Trivia where it says a line of the song and you need to name the title and I told my Aunt that the answer to her question was Two Of A Kind Working On A Full House by Garth Brooks so I must have already heard his music lol :D

Garthfan92
09-08-2002, 10:19 PM
It was back in '92, and I was 14 years old. Hard to believe sometimes it's been over 10 years now!

Lisa

sharpe26
09-09-2002, 05:26 AM
well, like I said in my thread about this, my first song was friends in low places. It must have been around 1991 somewhere don't know exactly much else. I must've been 15 or something.

lostINEyou
09-09-2002, 06:17 AM
wel I was 30 wen I heard Shamless in 1991 with that song it starded for me, my kids where than 3 and 9 and the still enjoy it.

lostIneyou

OkieDaBug
09-09-2002, 01:50 PM
I was a youngster of 17 when I heard "Much too young" and I was a SR in High School (please refrain from doing the math..lol). But I wasn't a big country music fan so I thought it was Clint Black so I'm not sure if that counts!!

I tell ya though, I wish I'd have known who he was at the time, because right after high school I started at NSU in Tahlequah and one day at the student union there was a big sign out front, "Garth Brooks in Concert" and I remember saying to my friend "Garth?? Who on earth would want to see someone named 'Garth'???" Yes ladies and gentlemen, I am still kicking myself to this day!!!! I could've been one of the first few to attend one of those small campus concerts had I only known!!!! Arrrrrgghh!!!!:)

~Okie~

RckyMtnGirl@hrt
09-09-2002, 02:00 PM
I was just a couple of years older than Garth ;)

CC

ThunderRolls
09-09-2002, 02:29 PM
Yes J we have a name picked out, were going for Kieran i lost the battle to include any Garth names in it LOL but when we have a girl im calling her Brooke, (yes i know ive put an e on the end instead of an s but who calls there kid brooks LOL)

Carl.

TammyLS
09-09-2002, 02:30 PM
Well I first heard Garth sing when I went to his first show here in MN in 91, I wasn't a Garth Fan--I went to See Trisha...Anyway, I Fell in love with If Tomorrow Never Comes, The Dance, and Much To Young--I LOVE that song. After that it was Hard to ignore him as he was ALL OVER the radio! lol...

ad012
09-09-2002, 03:21 PM
My mom has always been a huge garth fan so as soon as I was born I was well taught. we have a family video of me singing : iF TOMOORROW NEVER COMES" when I was about 3 or 4 i eventually grew away from him a bit but with the new artists no one can even compare so I'm back
:) Ali :)

DixieChick4GB
09-09-2002, 04:03 PM
I was 46 in 1999 when I first heard Garth (The Dance). Better late than never!
Elaine

GBheartandsoul
09-09-2002, 08:35 PM
The first time I heard Garth was Jan. 1992 when I watched his first NBC special and became an instant fan. Well, me and Garth are the same age (he's 6 months older) so back then we were both 29 years old.

That's so wonderful, Carl. Congratulations! I guess you'll have to wait a little while to see if you have another Garth fan in your family.

Seira:)

TammyLS
09-10-2002, 03:13 PM
Hmm, Little Garth fans and Trisha fans..I've got tons of them! I do in home childcare, and my daycare kids LOVE TRISHA AND GARTH! My own kids have litterally Grown up listening to Trisha and hearing her music, Carl its great that you are starting Early! I had Trisha and some Garth playing at the hospital from day one--seriously! And they all Truely love them! I recently got to spend some really quality time with Trisha and gave her a card that all the kids made for her-it was soo cute, They were so angry I got to spend time with her and They didn't! Maybe someday....

boppityboo
09-11-2002, 12:09 PM
Hey Tammy! You do childcare out of your home? ME Too! lol My kids and my childcare kids all listen and love Garth. I keep telling some of the parents of the babies, that, sorry if their first word is 'Garth' instead of mama or dada. lol. Very cool.

Ellie:)

Scarecrow
09-12-2002, 11:56 PM
I was the ripe old age of 10 when I first heard Garth's first single in 1989 and I loved him since. I know a kid who is 2 years old and he jumps around when he hears Garth Brooks. He yells out Garth Brooks, Garth Brooks, Garth Brooks. It is too bad that most likely he will not remain a Garth Brooks fan for life, depends on how music is 10 years from now. I think music is getting worse nowadays, Except Garth's.

fuzzwuzz
09-13-2002, 12:17 AM
Well, I'm an "old" Gaines fan. It goes quite a ways back with us. :) But it wasn't until his greatest hits came out that I finally met Garth on Sept. 28/29, 1999. :) I guess I was about your age Elaine, minus a few years. I struggled through The Dance for a little while after I crash coursed on Garth overnight, but I'm a fast learner and Garth is such a good and patient teacher. I finallycaught on. :)

My son(who's 12 now) and husband go way back with Chris too, and, because of me and Chris, they are also now into Garth. But not as much as me. :)

Jen19
09-13-2002, 02:29 PM
I was 13 when I heard him 1st but didn't start likeing him until I was 17. and didn't come to PG till I was 19.. gezze now I'm 23 ..feels like yesterday.

JEN

Garth_FANtasizer
09-13-2002, 02:49 PM
Hey Jen, It feels like yesterday when I was 19 too. Those were the days when I would bend over and my hands could touch my toes before my breasts did! :p

You young whipper snappers!

~Ann~

TammyLS
09-13-2002, 05:27 PM
Ellie, Very cool! We can commiserate sometime! lol
Yeah, I know what you mean--Some of my childcare kids talk about Trisha and country music so often their parents teased me that all I do is teach them Trisha stuff! They go home singing Trisha songs! lol--I said, nah, but she's on almost all day! lol....but its great fun, and they just love her-and Garth now that they are hearing him some!

ThunderRolls
09-27-2002, 05:41 AM
WOW its good to hear all your stories, its good to hear that Garth and country music in particular doesnt just appeal to older people, when i was at school it was a big stereotype that "pop" music is what you should listen too, and that country music was considered for parents and old people. But with Garth and many others proving that age has no restrictions when it comes to good music.

boppityboo
09-27-2002, 11:52 AM
:) I bet we have some stories to tell about childcare, hey, Tammy?

Thunder Rolls, conGARTHulations on the birth of your baby. What did you have? Boy or Girl and what's the baby's name? If you don't mind telling, that is. You are right, Garth appeals to everyone no matter what age.

Ellie

P.S. Feeling that sleep deprivation yet? ;)

ThunderRolls
09-27-2002, 06:22 PM
Ellie, you must be parent too, its a boy and his name is Kieran, but when we have a girl she will be called Brooke which is the nearest i can get to calling her Garth cos that just stupid hehe,

sleep deprivation OH YES but wouldnt trade it for all the gold in the world, but maybe for all garth stuff lol

Carl

TammyLS
09-28-2002, 01:55 PM
Carl, Congrats! I like the name, and if you have a girl, the name Brooke will be very cool!
Ellie-YES I'm SURE we could share and tell some Great childcare stories! Do you have aol IM?

everynowandthen
09-28-2002, 04:56 PM
Hi everyone!

Hmmm...I'm going to guess I was 23 or 24.

Angela :)

boppityboo
09-28-2002, 10:34 PM
Carl, you betcha I'm a parent. I have three kids, all girls, 12, 8 and 6. Parental secret,ok? -You will NEVER be free of sleep deprivation, ever. Get use to it. They wake up in the middle of the night up to 6 yrs old. Trust me. lol. :D Enjoy your time now with your precious bundle, cause time really does fly. Fast. Take lots of pix and video.

OOPS! Better stay on topic. Brooke would be a very cool Garthy like name. I love it, and Kieran too. Sounds Irish, another Garthy link there if it is, via his mum.

No I don't Tammy, but please email me, ok? ellie_j@hotmail.com

Ellie

ThunderRolls
09-30-2002, 04:21 PM
Ellie,
Thank you for the kind advice, i will be messaging you every minute for advice now LOL, ive found that me singing if tomorrow never comes gets a really good reation from him, hope he will like more songs from garth.

YODELGAL
09-30-2002, 10:14 PM
Well, Carl, you are showing your age bias. It's not how YOUNG you were when you discovered Garth, it's your age when you first heard him.

I first heard him when I saw a video of his Central Park concert.

I was 59.

It was love at first sight. The next day I went all over town buying all the Garth music I could find.

Stephanie

ThunderRolls
10-06-2002, 06:52 PM
Well stephanie,

59 ??? what took you so long?? well you know your never too old to appreciate good music

YODELGAL
10-07-2002, 02:14 PM
A time for everything and everything in its time. I didn't sing for 35 years, but thanks to Garth and his music, my life is again enriched. Lucky me. Thanks again, Garth.

Stephanie

Steven75407
10-07-2002, 08:32 PM
'Twas about '90, and FILP was on the radio, and I recall asking my mom who that was singing, and she said Garth Brooks, and that got me into not only Garth but country music.