PDA

View Full Version : How Do You Like Him Now? ( Talk about arrogant!)

Garth_FANtasizer
09-07-2002, 06:26 PM
MUSIC: How do you like him now?

Toby Keith blasts Peter Jennings and the Dixie Chicks, talks about the pleasures of burping and defends his hit song 'The Angry American'

Craig Seymour - Staff
Friday, September 6, 2002

Good guys may finish last. But sometimes good ol' boys rise to the top.

Country's Toby Keith is one such example. "Unleashed," the latest album by the hulking 6-foot-4, 250-pound singer-songwriter, currently sits at No. 1 on the country charts. And the first single, "Courtesy of the Red, White and Blue (The Angry American)," was a No. 1 country single.

That tune, released in May, galvanized listeners with its intense anger over the events of 9/11. Sang Keith:

You'll be sorry that you messed with the U.S. of A.

'Cause we'll put a boot in your ass.

It's the American way.

This jingoistic chest-thumper is in marked contrast to the wet-eyed sentimentality of another 9/11 country hit, Alan Jackson's "Where Were You When the World Stopped Turning?" Ironically, both tunes will be up for best song when the Country Music Association awards are given in November.

The in-your-face attitude of "The Angry American" is typical of the kind of he-man machismo that has allowed Keith to score a string of No. 1 hits since his tellingly titled debut single, "Should've Been a Cowboy."

But sometimes, Oklahoma-bred Keith is too much for the mainstream. This summer, Keith was set to sing "The Angry American" on an ABC-TV special hosted by Peter Jennings. But Keith was later disinvited because --- reportedly --- the TV anchor objected to the song's lyrics. ("We didn't think it was the right song to open the broadcast," Jennings said on a country radio station in July.)

Fans quickly responded in Keith's defense, sending Jennings a shoe store's worth of boots in the mail. U.S. Sen. Zell Miller (D-Ga.) also criticized ABC for axing Keith and even had the song's lyrics entered into the Congressional Quarterly.

But this isn't the first time a Keith song has upset folks. "I Want to Talk About Me," a retort to a gabby girlfriend from his last album, was called sexist by many critics. In advance of his Atlanta show tonight, we talked to the man behind all the fuss.

Q: Why did you wait seven months to release "The Angry American?"

A: I struggled with releasing it for a long time. My song was written as my personal gift to the military that I knew was going to be going over to do their duty for us. I played it in Annapolis at the Naval Academy. I played it at the Pentagon for Gen. Jones [Gen. James L. Jones, commandant of the corps\] and the Marines. And I played it overseas on a USO tour for two weeks on 11 Army bases. That's really all it was intended to be.

But Gen. Jones said, "It's your job as an entertainer to lift the morale of the troops. If you want to serve, that is what you can do as an entertainer." So, in the eleventh hour, we put it on the album.

Q: Natalie Maines, the Dixie Chicks' lead singer, called the song "ignorant" and said that it made country music sound "ignorant."

A: I'm not going to comment on that. You've got to be in my league as a songwriter before I'll even respond to you. If she was a songwriter that had written some songs like me, then we'd talk about the inside of the song. But if somebody's not in my league on a songwriting level, then I can't comment on lesser stuff like that. It doesn't even faze me.

Q: Have you patched things up with Peter Jennings?

A: He is so weak-minded, so politically correct and out of touch with the American people. He still doesn't think that the American people started that boot drive and got angry at him. He thinks that was all a publicity stunt on my behalf. That's how far out of touch he is.

Q: Your songs have often been labeled sexist. What do you teach your son about women?

A: He knows to use his manners in front of the ladies. If it's just me and him out having a hamburger and he burps real good, we high-five. If his mother is there and he burps, he tries to high-five me and I say, "Nope, we have a lady present." Then, he'll say, "Excuse me." There's a time to be a guy and there's a time to be a gentleman. That's what I teach him. You hold the doors for ladies and use your manners when you're supposed to.

Q: Why do you have such a strong female following?

A: Everybody loves a badass. And I don't think women want some prim and proper guy. I mean, time and time again, I'll be talking to a girl and I'll say, "So you're not dating him anymore?" And she'll say, "No." Then I'll say, "Why, was he too good to you?" And she'll say, "Yeah, he was good to me."

Q: Would you let your daughters date a guy like you?

A: Well, if I got to know him. As long as she was happy and he was real. I wouldn't go for a wife beater. But, yeah, I'd let them go for a guy like me.

Q: So, what's going to win song of the year: "The Angry American" or "Where Were You When the World Stopped Turning?"

A: I don't know. I never focus very much on things I don't have no control over. I waste all of my energy on stuff I do have control over. There have been times when I went thinking I didn't have a chance and I win album and male vocalist [of the year\]. Then, the next year, I go back and I have six nominations and get shut out. I am still surprised every time they call my name.

Q: What are your plans for 9/11?

A: I haven't got any plans yet. I'm gonna try not to get all wrapped up in the events of the day. I watched my hometown area, Oklahoma City, recover from the bombing in '95. At some point you have to get back to normal. But we sure don't want to forget it.

http://www.accessatlanta.com/ajc/epaper/editions/friday/preview_d377ee8792dea1800033.html

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

~Ann~

Paula
09-07-2002, 06:36 PM
Toby doesn't hold anything back. Except for his comment about Natalie Maines not being in his league, I didn't have a problem with his comments.

Paula

ProducerJ
09-07-2002, 07:52 PM
Egads. Toby, contrary to your belief, not everyone loves a badass.

I didn't think the man could GET any more arrogant until I read what he said about Natalie.

So I guess, as an artist with 2 DIAMOND albums (that's 10 million a piece Toby) she shouldn't respond to you until you get up to HER league. Does Toby have a web board?

And I guess that any of us "common folk" fans who aren't in his league don't have the right to talk about songs with him either? After all - what do we know about music?

Ok Elaine - let me have it. :)
J.

Garthfan92
09-07-2002, 10:23 PM
I'll give Toby credit for calling things like he sees it and being honest. That's not to say he couldn't use some lessons from Garth on how to do that in a POLITE way, but that's beside the point. I wonder how much he and Trace Adkins get together. A few weeks back, our local station had celebrity co-hosts on their morning show the whole week, and he was one of them. Let's just say I found out EXACTLY why he was on Politically Incorrect 10 times! It's not to say they don't sometimes have a point, but they could both quit being so crude about it and acting like they know everything. I've certainly heard far worse than either of them has to say though, so it doesn't tend to bother me too much.

Lisa

fuzzwuzz
09-07-2002, 10:34 PM
It bothers me that a brother and sister are not seeing eye-to-eye, and that the music(and me), feels like the one caught in the middle and suffering the most for it.

Snow
09-07-2002, 10:37 PM
I think he's being sort of childish... especially in his comments about Natalie... but if that's what he believes then he has a right to say it I guess.

Cheryl
09-07-2002, 11:55 PM
I like most of Toby's music....but his "badass" routine does certainly get old. Personally, I thought he was handling Natalie's comments with class back when he just said no comment. He should have just stuck to that, cuz his "not in my league" comments make him look foolish.

Now, I also really like the Chicks' music, and love their new CD. However, when Natalie started in with the bashing of Toby's song, my opinion of her went south, especially after she didn't let it drop....she continued her assult in one interview after another. What was she hoping to accomplish? Those comments made her look petty.

God, I miss Garth. He NEVER bad-mouthed anybody during an interview. Just a class act all the way. Toby and Natalie would do well to take a lesson from him.

ProducerJ
09-08-2002, 12:54 AM
:waves at Cheryl:

I went to Toby's site looking for a message board, but you have to be a fan club member. Guess it's safe to say I won't be posting there. . .

I did share the story with a friend who might be interested though. ;) Will keep you posted.

J.

redstrokes77
09-08-2002, 04:48 PM
So does that mean you actually have to PAY to be a fan Joyce? LOL! Well, that's ONE way of keeping your fans in line.

deb

Snow
09-08-2002, 04:57 PM
I've run across several artist sites where you can only access certain features such as the messageboards if you pay to be part of the fan club.

Not much fun for a person that just wants to check it out to see if it's worth the money in the first place huh?

I know that websites can be expensive to run sometimes and I guess they are just covering costs... but I would figure that having such a thing would be a great promotional thing for the labels to provide.

drippy
09-08-2002, 10:22 PM
TOBY ROCKS!!!! Dixie Chicks are whiners. Toby has his opinion, and is cool cause of that. People take things the wrong way/

andie
09-08-2002, 11:18 PM
I like Toby Keith ,he calls em like he sees em .I don't agree with all the things that he said but respect his right to say them.I like the Dixie Chicks to ,but I really didn't like their Earl song ,but a lot of people did. I thought it was in bad taste. I think some of Toby's are in bad taste.I have to agree Garth is by far the classiest man around.
One thing I have to defend Toby on and maybe it is because I live with 5 men ,1husband and 4 sons in Texas,but he is pretty close to the truth when it comes to the manners part . The men down here are pretty rough around the edges ,but let me tell you ,they open doors for ladies and mind their business in front of them .Not all Texas men are like that ,but the ones I'm around are .You can listen out the window when they don't know you are around and they are having all kind of contests we don't want to get into here ,LOL but the minute you walk out the door they are calling you mam and giving you their seat .
I also agree a lot of women go for the bad boy.I know that is dumb but I have seen it happen time and time again.

AZamy77
09-11-2002, 02:55 AM
I personally like Toby's new song. And I know of someone who detests country music that bought the CD for that very song! So that shoots Natalie's theory right down. Sounds like she was the one that started the name=calling here. Toby was caught off guard and responded as such. No, maybe she can't relate. Maybe she's never felt the pain. Maybe she's lived a very sheltered life. Maybe that's what Toby meant by that "league". Words are picked apart. But, that gives HER no right to pick on Toby. Man oh man. Don't pick on Toby.....

So, what she said offended ME. What she said knocked on everyone who likes that song. So it's my American way to defend Toby. To say I like that song. It sure made the troops overseas elated when he sang it to them.

Hey Uncle Same wrote your name at the top of his list
And the Statue of Liberty started shaking her fist

Brought to you courtesy of the red white and blue. :)

redstrokes77
09-11-2002, 08:21 AM
They never played the song here in Southern Ontario. IMO. You can be a proud American (Canadian, Afghani, etc.) WITHOUT telling the world that you want to kick they're asses if they don't believe in what you do/think.

The acts of kindness is what I remember when I think of 9/11 because I KNOW that Americans CAN move on.

If you keep staying angry then the terrorists have won.

I NEVER thought I'd be quoting George W. Bush but he siad, "Grief and tragedy and hatred are only for a time. Goodness, remembrance and love have no end."

Peace everyone,

deb

MT4GB
09-11-2002, 12:35 PM
Well, personally and no offense to anyone here but I am sick of hearing about this!

I have more things to worry about in my life right now!

Toby and Natalie have the right to state their thoughts and feeling about music and songs-either you agree with them or not!

That is my two cents now!

Nancy

ProducerJ
09-11-2002, 02:17 PM
LOL @ Nancy. :) I'm not sure whether to say welcome back to PG, it's good to see you here, or ask why you came back to post on a subject you're sick of hearing about? :D

At any rate, my alarm went off this morning and the POP radio station was talking about Toby and Natalie, and what a jerk Toby was being. (Seems the little item from the Atlanta paper found it's way into Brad Schmitt's column yesterday.... :eek: )

Toby is stalking me, LOL
J.

MT4GB
09-11-2002, 04:11 PM
*lol* back at Joyce!

Actually at the moment I am a little stressed out-I am going in tomorrow for my physical to see if I can be a possible donor for my hubby-not looking forward to the testing so if I seem a little crabby or stressed out-I am sorry! ;)

Maybe because I am going to other country websites and seeing the big "battle" between Toby and Natalie being talked about so much-and believe me the other websites are being a lot more nastier about this issue!

Glad to be back! And Joyce do not worry about Toby stalking you-you can always have Natalie protect you! :p

Nancy :D

redstrokes77
09-11-2002, 05:24 PM
LOL! Nancy, and good luck. My thoughts are with you and Gary.

deb

allisonv7
09-18-2002, 01:32 PM
99.9% of the time if I don't respect someone as a person I'm not going to like them musically either, because it leaves a bad taste in my mouth.....and I've tried and tried to ignore Toby and his music because I never liked the way he presented himself in interviews or on stage. But he's definelty roped me in, I love his new album and can't stop playing it. When I stop to think about it, I like all of his music. The comment about Natalie Maines disgusts me, but he is a damn good songwriter. It takes his kindof arrogance to release a song like "Angry American", because the minute you hear it you know there's going to be an uproar, and many artists wouldn't want to risk their careers over it.

allison.

fuzzwuzz
09-18-2002, 02:20 PM
Yeah Allison. I think you're right. There's alot to be said about being a risk-taker willing to go against the grain, just like Garth taught us. Guess we all could learn something good from Toby's example too.

ProducerJ
09-18-2002, 06:31 PM
RUNS.... STRETCHING HER HANDS OUT....REACHES FOR HER FRIEND....

NO Allison! It's not too late! You can be saved! Just say no to him talking about himself! Turn off the cd player, plug your ears! Let me lend you my Montgomery Gentry CD!

LOLOLOLOLOL
:D:D:D
It is kinda scary how he grows on ya. ;)
J.

Garthfan92
09-18-2002, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by ProducerJ
It is kinda scary how he grows on ya. ;)

Joyce, could you be hinting he's growing on you too? I'm SHOCKED! LOL It's true though. His songs are catchy, even if you don't like the statement they make.

Lisa

fuzzwuzz
09-19-2002, 01:56 AM
" I want to talk about you, you, you you you !!" :)

DixieChick4GB
09-19-2002, 01:24 PM
Allison,
Don't listen to Joyce. She is trying to pull you to the Dark Side. Please continue toward the light! :) :)
Elaine

FarfaNougan
09-19-2002, 01:50 PM
I like Toy Keith, he is great.

Snow
09-19-2002, 03:21 PM
Toy Keith? Typo or Freudian slip? *lol*

DixieChick4GB
09-20-2002, 09:02 AM
I would say it is neither a Freudian slip or a typo. Look at FarfaNougan's location for the true explanation. ;)
Elaine

FarfaNougan
09-20-2002, 11:21 AM
It was a typo, you people are rude for making fun of a person's grammar.

DixieChick4GB
09-21-2002, 11:37 PM
Sorry, FarfaNougan. Really, nobody was making fun of you. There is a great gulf here between those who like Toby and those who don't. It was just a joke. We love ya. Keep posting! :)
Elaine

ProducerJ
09-22-2002, 12:12 AM
Pay no attention to our silliness FarfaNougan - we're all just having a little fun at Toby's expense. It definately wasn't anything rude directed at you. :D
J.

MelMalovesGB4eva
09-30-2002, 08:31 PM
toby keith is second only to Garth in my book. and since garth has all but fallen off the face of the earth, I'm glad Toby continues making albums.
I don't think he's arrogant. I think he just says whats on his mind which I don't think about Garth. I don't think Garth is always truthful.
I think Garth says what people want to hear, e.g. trisha rumors-- he denied they were involved. Toby would have just said "it's none of your damn business!"

\When I first heard "courtesy" i was blown away. I thought every American would be too. His message of "take that you buncha a**holes" was so fitting. I can't believe there was any controversy.

I also can't believe that "I wanna talk about me" was considered sexist. He's talking about a girlfriend---one girl, not the entire female population---who talks to much about herself. He even mentions it makes him smile but he'd like to talk about how his day was once in while. Where's the sexism.
I guess the critics have to pick on someone, huh,.
If they picked on all the rap artists who call females the lovely words that they do they'd be labeled racists.

As for Toby's take on the Dixie Chicks--makes me smile--cause I always thought they were the most annoying people.

Honeybunny31
10-01-2002, 10:49 AM
I love Toby also!!!

Anger, was just one of the emotion's following Sept 11th and he shouldn't be trashed for expressing it..

I love the song...

Take Care,

Lisa

Honeybunny31
10-03-2002, 10:35 PM
BTW...........

GARTH is still my DADDY!!!!! LOL LOL

Take Care,

Lisa

DixieChick4GB
10-04-2002, 09:30 AM
Garth's still my DADDY, too! But I love Toby's music and attitude. I also love the Chicks and can't wait until they kiss and make up and collaborate on something!
Elaine

Garthfan92
10-04-2002, 10:44 PM
Now THAT would be something to see, Elaine! LOL Would be quite interesting.

Lisa

ScoobLuvsGarth3
10-06-2002, 02:12 PM
i dont think Toby's bein arrogant. like honeybunny31 said, he's only speaking his mind. how many people can say that they were NOT angry when all the events of Sep. 11 occured? i know i was sure seein red. if i could write songs, i think i wouldve attempted to write one expressing my anger, too. also, im sure everyone who is a songwriter would have been mad if a person criticized your music. i know if i wrote a song that was special to me and someone said it was "ignorant," id be pretty mad. Toby's comment about Natalie being out of his league was a little cocky, yeah, but its only the truth. i love the Dixie Chick's music, but you caint just go around criticizing someone's songwriting.

He aint shy
He's outspoken, boy, he always speaks his mind...
(a song of Toby's that i formatted for him just a hair...:))
*~{*><*}MeLiSsA{*><*}~*