PDA

View Full Version : Convention Highlights

ProducerJ
08-05-2002, 05:43 PM
People are asking for stories from the convention, and there are so many I don't know where to begin. So... I thought I'd start a thread called Convention Highlights where everyone could jump in with their favorite memories and stories.

To start things off, one of the funnest parts of the weekend happened Saturday night / Sunday morning at the Gates. It was like.. 1:30 in the morning. Now mind you, prior to this weekend, I had been to the gates exactly once in my life, and that was to shoot a show there when the whole Blue Rose museum project was in the works. However, now I can see why people like to go up there. It's a very peaceful place to hang out.

So back to the story, it was 1:30 in the morning, we were running on a week of sleep deprivation, and we got the giggles. It was me, Moni, Sherri, Robin, and Hazel. And I'm telling you - we laughed till we cried and cried because our face hurt from laughing so much. I can't even tell you what kind of stories we were telling, except that most of them had to do with Maureen and her driving. (And as we explained to Hazel - had Mo been there, we'd have been telling the exact same stories and Mo would have been laughing right along with us.)

It was just a fun evening that really had nothing to do with Garth and everything to do with friends. :) But it was definately a highlight for me.
Next?
J.

berriffic
08-05-2002, 08:57 PM
Well on Saturday elaine and I realized that we were both pretty hot blooded gals ( meaning if we had the chance we would keep it 65 degrees year round!) lol Saturday, Nashville was in the high 90's and almost a 100% humidity. Although we had a wonderful tour driver, the air conditioner did not work. We were melting! So we stopped at this gas station and went inside to grab something to drink and cool off for a few minutes. Well soon it came to my attention that a cooler stand without a front glass pannel which had 20oz soda bottles for sale was putting off a lot of cool air.I went over and stood right in front of it to cool off. Then Elaine came over and literally put her head inside the cooler and pretended to read me the nutritional info on the bottles! I Laughed so hard. Next thing we got harriet over there and we were all sticking body parts in this cooler! Hey you do what you gotta do right? ROFL!

<3 ber

GBShameless
08-05-2002, 09:08 PM
There was defintely alot of laughs this weekend. My throat was so sore Friday morning, from the stories on Thrusday night.

We were at the Bluebird and my drink slipped out of my hand, hit Sherri on the leg and everyone else three seats down (sorry guys), I got contact (the one in my eye) whiplash from Sherri's ponytail when she decide to look for something on the bar. There is also bologna and tuna currency in British Columbia.

Then we had Monica's Mickey on the highway and I think he followed me home because I saw him this morning while I was driving. This Mickey was really annoying Monica because he was just all over the highway. Mickey was a construction sign that was shaped as a diamond with two little diamond signs on top of it and when the light hit it from the car it really did look like Mickey.

That's all that I can think of now, brain is still a little foggy.

Robin :) :)

Brits
08-05-2002, 11:44 PM
I'm going to seriously annoy my brother by lagging up the internet line while he's trying to play a game, but :p to him.

My favourite time was.... all of it! Except having to say goodbye and go home at the end. :( But I'm sure that we'll all meet again!

One highlight was at the Bluebird... I was sitting right by the door (I mean it, my headrest was the door post), and I'd just been
saying something to Diem who was sitting next to me.... and I turned around and PAT ALGER was two feet from my face. AHHH! Then the next thing was as he was headed out, Diem, who wanted to chat to him, vaulted over me soccer goalie style. ;)
Kent was an absolute SWEETIE. Lovely man!

Had tons of fun hanging out at the Gates at 1:30 am with you gals!

And the Cooker and the Pantry were tons of fun, as was the sweltering bus tour and the freezing Opry.

The Auction was one of the best times. Some people got some of the stuff that definitely had my name on it, though.... I think I need to have a Talk with some of you!

I really will try to get over to PG more often. It wasn't too slow for me today, so hopefully it'll stay that way and will encourage me to come more often! But I'm rarely even having time to e-mail people these days.

*waves at everybody*

Here's to next year!
Hazel :D

ProducerJ
08-05-2002, 11:47 PM
OH my goodness I'm laughing until I cry all over again! Robin and Sherri, you HAVE to explain the Balogna and Tuna currency to everyone else!
Amber, wasn't it you that pointed out the open chest of beer covered with ice that we were all laying on in that convenience store?
J.

Monica Lockhart
08-06-2002, 01:16 AM
Man.. there are so many funny times that I remember from this weekend.. especially Mo and her driving adventures.. however...I must admit that I had some serious problems with remembering how to get back to the hotel from Garth's Gates...

Three nights in a row I took the Briley Parkway West.. when I should have gone East. I figured out each night that I went the wrong way when I hit the same exit.....then blaming it on wanting to show all the people in the car a scenic route.. LOL

I'll post more later.. it's getting late.

Moni

fuzzwuzz
08-06-2002, 01:30 AM
"Yeah, we'll take the Scenic Route, imagine what it's all about"~Lost Dogs :) What sights did ya's see?

Teach
08-06-2002, 10:58 AM
I think one of the best times for J.D. and I was when we arrived at Cookers on Thursday night and saw so many friends and so many new friends. It was so great and something that I had been waiting for all year. Everyone had so much to talk about and so many things to tell each other. Leelee and her husband Glen came with us and they found out what a great group of people are at Planet Garth.

I also agree that the worst part was saying good-by. I sure hope we all get together again next year.

HUGGS!!!!!!!!!
Teach (Mary Ann)

berriffic
08-06-2002, 07:23 PM
Oh yeah I found both coolers...the one we were crabbing the ice and the one Harriet and Elaine were sticking body parts into! LOL I can't I say I am an enabler!

Another funny thing that happened was being run over 5 or 6 times trying to get a picture of some of the gals near the bar at the Bluebird! I thought for sure I was going to knock some poor soul down! I sure hope the pic comes out! <giggle>

<3 ber

GBShameless
08-06-2002, 08:27 PM
Okay the bologna and tuna thing was, Sherri was looking through her wallet for some money and she had said "I wish you could tell the difference between these US bills" (or something along that line), I said "Why you can't", she said "No, they all look the same, look at our Canadian money" and she pulled out a five and a ten. Then she said that her one and two dollar bills are actually coins, called a bologna and tuna, which is what I heard.

They are actually called a "Loonie" and a "Toonie" (not sure if that is how you spell it), cause the Loonie which is the one dollar coin has a Loon bird on it and the "Toonie" which is the two dollar bill has a bear on it, but they call it a "Toonie". So with all the noise it sounded like she said "Our one and two dollars are coins called a bologna and tuna", LOL.

ProducerJ
08-06-2002, 10:20 PM
I was telling a friend about this today, and thought it was funny enough I should share it here. This story would be MUCH BETTER if I'd had a video camera to capture it.

After breakfast at the Pancake Tree on... Friday? I wanted to get a picture of Delaynie (my daughter) and Dakota. From there is went like this:

Delaynie sat down in the midlle of the bench.
Dakota sat down next to her.
Delaynie scooted down all the way to the end of the bench.
Dakota scooted down next to her.
Delaynie leaned all the way over on the arm of the bench.
Dakota looked at the cameras and grinned.

Now don't get me wrong, Delaynie & Dakota got along great, and she thought it was really cool to have someone her size around. However, he still, after all.. is a boy and at 5, those are still yucky.

Can't wait to see those pictures!
J.

lee512w
08-06-2002, 11:44 PM
I remember standing there watching Delaynie and Dakota and thinking about Brad Paisley's video where the little girl and boy are sitting together at the end and the little boy kisses the girl,she wipes her mouth off.

I don't know if Delaynie was just being shy with all the people making a fuss about them or what, but it was a Kodak moment for sure.

It was just too cute!

Leelee

diem nash
08-07-2002, 08:17 AM
Aaawww!!! What a cute story about the two little angels -Dakota & Delaynie! I can imagine the picture.

Hey J! How was it to meet your son-in-law? Well, think about it. He´ll be a big star one day and I guess your angel will follow him.

But Delaynie´s young and man,she just don´t care
She´d follow Dakota anywhere

She´s in love with the boy
And even if they have to run away
She´s gonna marry that boy one day

What a cute love story. And it all began in the midlle of the bench...

We´ll hear about them.

Keep us informed!

:D

Love!

Maddy :D

ProducerJ
08-07-2002, 10:08 AM
LOL Maddy - don't get too carried away there!
J.

GBShameless
08-07-2002, 10:43 AM
Where is Sher, she needs to come and tell about the "around" and the "r" thing, way to funny.

Monica Lockhart
08-07-2002, 10:58 AM
OMG Robin!!! I am laughing so hard right now!!

Sher.. come out come out where ever you are! You have to tell that story!

:)

Moni

diem nash
08-07-2002, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by ProducerJ
LOL Maddy - don't get too carried away there!
J.

Well, now they´re 5...

We´ll talk! ;)

You guys made me curious. So SHER, WHERE ARE YOU???????????????

:D

Maddy :D

Vanessa
08-07-2002, 07:48 PM
LOL these are some GREAT stories!! The one with Dakota and Delaynie sounds very funny and cute, I'm sure that the pics turned out great!! I can't wait to see 'em!

The story about the convient store andf body parts and such.. tooo funny!! :D

Vanessa :)

Garthfan92
08-07-2002, 10:07 PM
Joyce, I got a pretty good picture of Dakota & Delaynie outside the Pantry. I don't have a scanner, so just em me your address if you want a copy.

Lisa

CaptMorgan
08-07-2002, 11:07 PM
Oh the memories that this thread brings back! I have stretch marks on my cheeks from all the non-stop laughing we did.

There were soooo many funny times and stories, and I'm sure as time goes on, we'll remember and share them all.

Ok Robin, you asked for the "R" story, here it is. BTW ... have you shopped for any tuna and bologna lately?

Remember, this is the first time I've been to the states, and listened first hand to all of the accents. Mo's (Maureen) is the best of all ... you honestly have to hear it. She doesn't have any "R's" in her vocabulary.

Garth = Gaaath
Car = Caaaah

I'm sure you get the picture.

On the first night at the hotel, I was talking to my hubby on the phone, and telling him about all of the accents in the room at that time. (Moni from Florida, Mary Liz from Wyoming, and Mo from Rhode Island). I was especially impressed with Mo's accent and tried giving him some examples of words that she says without the "r" in it.

He said to me; "How does she say around?"
there was a few second pause, and then he said;
"Does she say GO THE OTHER WAY?" ROFLMAO

When I repeated it to the gals in the room, I thought we were all going to wet ourselves we were laughing so hard.

When I remember more funnies, I'll definitely post them. Like I said at the beginning, and everyone else who was at the Convention has said, there are a lot of hilarious stories yet to come out.

Sher

GBShameless
08-08-2002, 08:57 AM
Thanks Sher, oh and I hear ya about the stretch marks, LOL. That is way to funny. I haven't had the chance to get any Tuna and Bologna (you know when I type out bologna, I have to sing the Oscar Myer song to make sure I am spelling it right, LOL)

SOmething else I remember, when we were at the Wild Horse for dinner and we all order Pina Colodas and the waitress said "Two Pina Colodas" and we all piped up "One for each hand", that was cool. LOL

Garthfan92
08-08-2002, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by CaptMorgan
He said to me; "How does she say around?"
there was a few second pause, and then he said;
"Does she say GO THE OTHER WAY?" ROFLMAO

LMAO! Now that's a good one!

And only Garthnutts could appreciate the Pina Colada story! That's cool.

Lisa

no1cowgirl
08-08-2002, 11:00 PM
Those dang new englander's! *lol* Caaah...Baaah (Bar)...Mooohl (Mall), Cooohl (Call) *lol* I love that, though....

I'm glad you guys had such a great time. Next year, I SWEAR!

Krista

Paula
08-08-2002, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by no1cowgirl
Those dang new englander's! *lol* Caaah...Baaah (Bar)...Mooohl (Mall), Cooohl (Call) *lol* I love that, though....

I'm glad you guys had such a great time. Next year, I SWEAR!

Krista Excuse me, but I don't think it was necessary to explain by putting the words in parentheses...the phonetics speak for themselves.*LOL*

Paula

GBronx
08-10-2002, 05:58 PM
OMG.....I can't eeeeeeven!!! Not for nothin...
These stories are priceless....
Talk about cheeks hurting....
Tony Arata
I wouldn't have it any other way!!!
Garth Brooks

Vanessa
08-10-2002, 07:19 PM
ROFL ya'll.. thanks for the great laugh!! :D where is Maureen from anyways?? :confused:

Vanessa ;)

GBShameless
08-10-2002, 07:31 PM
Vanessa

Maureen "Mo" lives in Rhode Island.

Vanessa
08-10-2002, 07:49 PM
thanks Robin :)

Vanessa :)