PDA

View Full Version : The Hat Flip

Kat30066
08-05-2002, 09:55 PM
ok i have seen a million in-concert photos and i have to ask, what is up with the hat flip? it seems that at every concert there is a picture of him with his hat down on his nose and his arms out like he just did a trick. for those of you who have seen him in concert, what is going on with this!!

love lots

kathleen

Tiggerlou94
08-05-2002, 10:06 PM
Garth does this in the end of singing "Friends in low places", usually before the famous forgotten verse. The people usually go nuts, then he lifts his hat, looks around smiles and says something about that verse and then sings it or he gets the people to sing it! In the very end of that song in " Ireland and Back" he flips his hat down so he can't see and Trisha and the other back up singer walk up to him and "hits" him, I love it!
I have never seen him live, so all this is just from the tapes that I have, hope it helps!
Take Care!
Anne

gb4prez
08-05-2002, 10:37 PM
Ahhh the memories. I do miss the concerts soooooooo much. :-(

Donna

Garthmedic
08-05-2002, 11:08 PM
If you have memories, go here: http://www.planetgarth.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=114341

--spud--:)

Tipper
08-05-2002, 11:33 PM
I've seen him in concert, and he has his signatures, like any artist. Being the freak that I am, I always imagine him doing the hat flip in the mirror before he added it to his act. That and the "cowboy stance" when he came out of the piano on the last tour. You don't just get up in front of thousands of people like that. You have to know it looks good first. For laughs, get your hat and do it front of your mirror. Maybe it only tickles me, but the imaginary visuals of him "practicing" really warm my heart.

allisonv7
08-06-2002, 12:04 AM
Forget the mirror...he can practice in front of me anytime!! :p

allison.

Frankie-20-100
08-06-2002, 01:26 AM
That is funny. He only do the hat flip when he sing friends in low places. So the way I interpret it is that in the song he drank beer and whisky with his friends so the song is over and he’s ready to take a little nap, flip his hat and…Bye bye

Hey Garth, here’s one for you ;)
France

PJ
08-06-2002, 09:36 AM
Actually, Garth starts the hat flip at the end of FILP and then stops and starts the 3rd verse. The full hat flip (which is held for that Kodak moment) happens at the very end of the song before Garth strikes that final chord on his guitar.

HeatherJG
08-08-2002, 12:04 AM
The hat flip so cool!!!!!! Just thought I would add my opinion on it.

countyfair_85
08-08-2002, 01:28 AM
Garth always had the audience sing the third verse to the song FILP and he'd say "Give me all you got!" and wave his hands toward himself in an effort to encourage us to sing as loud as we could directly towards him.
I remember he'd tilt his head forward and pull the hat over his eyes...while opening his mouth as wide as he could...then he'd swirl in a complete circle as he screamed that awesome scream.

Each of us may see something different for that moment...but I see that moment as something Garth always talks about.
'Swinging his sword'...
Many fans may not understand that... as it should be...but there are those that do understand... as it should be also.

"YOUR SONGS ARE YOUR SWORDS, YOUR POWER. IT'S AMAZING THE SIZE OF THE SWORD YOU CARRY. I'M LOOKING FOR BELIEFS THAT NEED TO BE STATED IN THIS DAY AND TIME. I TRY TO LET PEOPLE KNOW THAT THEY AREN'T WORKING FOR NOTHING, THAT WHAT THEY SEE WHEN THEY CLOSE THEIR EYES AT NIGHT DOESN'T ALWAYS HAVE TO BE A DREAM."-GARTH BROOKS-

From Garth's quote above... he mentions the songs being our 'power' and how big the sword is...He also mentioned on one of his album jackets in the small liner notes...
"It is truly you who have the power"...

"Music is one of the most under-estimated powers that the human race has right now." -Garth Brooks

So, it seems Garth is swinging a sword and has given us all swords to swing also by giving us the songs to sing and the right words to say... :)

Has anyone ever tried to copy that scream Garth let's go on the song "Friends In Low Places"?
It's hard to get it just right... but it's great to let loose and scream with him while 'double live' plays in the background.

About the music: "The first 90 minutes kills the true heart of the beast..." -Garth Brooks 'Tryin' To Rope The World'

Garth does say some strange things...but he knows exactly what he means to get the message across to anyone that's listening. :)
You just gotta love him!

-Diane

berriffic
08-08-2002, 02:11 PM
Ok all I have to say is that hat flip he does is sexy as hell. I saw him do it twice live....and woohooo!

<3 ber

fuzzwuzz
08-14-2002, 03:46 AM
Well Diane, you got me listening. When you reminded me of these things Garth said about how music is power, And we have that power too? I thought of the fan left holding the Pandora's Box. Dang. I think we need to see this message Garth's got prepared for us through The Lamb. "(Read the Book)Don't Wait for the Movie", according to Whiteheart(Tommy Sims, Chris McHugh, Gordon Kennedy, later of Crush alumni with Wayne Kirkpatrick.) Well. I have been listening to what I call the "prequel" to The Lamb through the music, and describing what I see too. I noticed the hat stunt again on the Wal-Mart video tape tonight too. There's something about that third verse that takes us "Friends in Low Places" to where we truly belong. The last time I listened to that live version with headphones I didn't need to see the hat flip to feel the full effect of the atmosphere it brings.

cntrypoet
08-14-2002, 05:35 AM
A lot can be said about the hat flip. maby it is just a whim that became a trademark, maby its sompthing more! If you studey lititure much. (I relay dont but i know a fiew tricks of the trade) that you learn to think beyond what you see.

IF you notice when you listen to the song, garth rarly sings the therd verse! To my knolage garth only sang it himself for the texas concerts, which wer videotaped and became "This is Garth Brooks" (acordeing to garth it's actuly GB who he considers a nother person).

OUther than that concert i belive he has the audeance sing the therd vers, traditanaly. As such he woud want, i belive, to emphicise in a visual maner, the audeance rather than himself. By flipping the had, and thus hiding the face, he acomplishes this. If you pay atention to litature or ovies, often they will hide the face and leve everything els visable, and still maintain ambiguity of the caricter. Although in most cases the is acived simply by adding sunglasses and perhaps a hood. (yea i'm off somewhere and even i dont know where)

well now that i'm dont with a litarary analises that has board most of you. on to the saward....

Garth says that he uses music as a sawerd, and the he belives that music is one of the most powerful things we know. IF you dont know yet let me inform you that this is a colage graduate, and i asume he did very well in the humanitys department, expecaly psycolagy. Reserch has proven that music is infact powerful, so much so that it can efect biological rythems!

heres an experiment. Get some calm music, I'd recemned making your own tape, say of the river, lonsom dove, the dance, and what shes doing now. most songs are about 3 to 3.5 minuts so your looking at about 15 min. of music here. record them on a tape. Then on the sme tape, alow a 5 minut pause folowed by fast songs, such as Fever, the old stuff, aint goin down. and two more, i'm two tierd to think of them hehe

anyway, take your pulse befoer the tape begens, during the pause, and then after the fast songs. you may notice that your heart rate changes with the music. to make this a more valid experiment do it in a dark room wiht no outehr distractions!!

ok on to the wrods thing
It was once said that "the pin in mightyer than the saward" ok so i'll give credit to shakespere. PErsonaly i think that is a half truth. I prefer saying "the pen is mighter than the saward, for within the saward are the powers of deth, the pen not only embodys the poers of death, but of life as well"

it is amazing to me, how sombody can wright, or even choose to sing music that has words of such power! I'v listend to a lot of music and i will never ceese to br amazed how the right song st the right time can not only help you get through the moment, but can truly have a regenerating effect on a wilted soal? (ok i know i speld that wrong, whats new?? :P

as you might have guessed frome my name, well thoes of you who are more observant than a paper towl, (I dotn know it's the only thing that comes to mind???) I consider myself somewhat of a poet. I may no be a robert frost, but i do my best. I have lerned, and seen with my own eyes, how pererful words are, and have come to realize that the ability to use them is a gift, and i thank god for that daly.

SOME TIMELESS RAMBLINGS FROME AND INSINE POET

PJ
08-14-2002, 08:40 AM
If I remember correctly, Garth always sang the third verse in concert originally because we fans didn't know the words. After TIGB aired, the fans knew the words and started singing along. Eventually, Garth just let us sing it. On the last tour, it was the perfect place for the fans to sing since Garth was recording for Double Live.

fuzzwuzz
08-14-2002, 04:31 PM
Guess all things come together for a reason then.

Such as G.B.'s other "face" Chris Gaines, hiding behind his hair and hands?