PDA

View Full Version : Bruce Springsteen powerfully fights the darkness of the soul.

fuzzwuzz
07-15-2002, 10:14 PM
I hope I'll be forgiven for posting this lengthy but essential Boss interview. Bruce's new cd seems destined for greatness before it's even out. Sept. 11 hit close to home from New Jersey for him. I don't have a link as it was sent to me by a friend. But if you are a fan of Bruce's, this is a must read all the way through. Thanks. ~Dale
Sunday, July 14, 2002
Hope Won Out
In a new album colored by 9/11, Bruce Springsteen powerfully fights the darkness of the soul.
By ROBERT HILBURN

"I didn't want to write literally about what happened, but the emotions in the air," Springsteen says.

NEW YORK--From the bridge near his house in Monmouth County, N.J., Bruce Springsteen could see the twin towers of the World Trade Center on clear days. His sharpest memory now of Sept. 11 is driving across that bridge and seeing an empty sky.
"I must have seen those towers a thousand times from the bridge," Springsteen says, sitting in a Manhattan recording studio about a dozen subway stops from ground zero.
"I spent most of Sept. 11 in front of the television like everybody else, watching those pictures of the towers collapsing over and over, but it all didn't really hit home until I took a ride across the bridge and there was nothing where the towers used to be. The real world, I guess, is always more dramatic than something on television."
Almost immediately, Springsteen began writing a salute to the hundreds of rescue workers who rushed into the skyscrapers the morning of the terrorist attacks. He planned to sing the song, "Into the Fire," on the nationally televised Sept. 21 telethon, but he didn't finish it in time. He substituted "My City of Ruins," an older song about the life being sucked out of Asbury Park, N.J.

Robert Hilburn, the Times pop music critic, can be reached at robert.hilburn@latimes.com.

Note from Moderator: looking at the address included in your article, it was easy to find the article at the LA Times website: http://www.calendarlive.com/top/1,1419,L-LATimes-Search-X!ArticleDetail-65857,00.html!

fuzzwuzz
07-22-2002, 12:54 PM
Thanks for finding the article online for me.

I really liked how Bruce compares music to like ropin' the wind: "I didn't set out to write a 9/11 album," he says. "I didn't want to write literally about what happened, but the emotions in the air. In the purest sense, that's what a songwriter does."
"This is a tough city and a tough country, and they'll both be all right. I felt a lot of anxiety in the air after 9/11, but I also felt a lot of optimism and faith and spirit. That's what I wanted to capture in the album."

The other day I was reading the newspaper and there was an article about Bruce reuntiting with the E Street Band, The Rising being the first with them since 1987. The article said that a few days after 9/11 Bruce was pulling out of a parking lot at the Jersey shore when a motorist rolled down his window and said to Bruce, "We need you!" Bruce said "that's part of my job. It's an honor to find that place in the audiences life."

I think we need Bruce too. As much as I'm swearing off music, I won't this release.

Bruce concludes: "You're mining, soul mining..and sometimes you're just not around the rich veins, and a long time can go by. And then all of a sudden, boom! You hit one."

Exactly what I've been saying about Chris Gaines.