PDA

View Full Version : A Foreward By Trisha Yearwood...In "Patsy Clines Letters To A Friend" book.

countyfair_85
07-13-2002, 06:44 PM
I purchased a very interesting book last week... titled "Love Always Patsy"
written by Cindy Hazen and Mike Freeman with a Foreword by Trisha Yearwood.
The book contains Patsy Clines letters to a friend... actual photos of stamped envelopes, photo copies of the letters she sent to her friend that ran a fan club for her.

I thought I'd type up and share what Trisha Yearwood had to say...
and maybe a couple of Patsy's letters. It's really a nice book and I'd recommend to anyone interested in legends of the music, to search your local bookstore for it.

FOREWARD: The first time I heard Patsy Cline sing was in 1970. I was six years old. I didn't know that the woman behind the enormous voice had been tragically killed in a plane crash a year and a half before I was born. All I knew was that I was listening to something magical.
I love Patsy Cline for the same reason most of her fans do -- because of her powerful and passionate voice. Listening to her music today, with the growls, the cries in her voice, the soft whispers, laughs, and breaths between every phrase, it's like Patsy standing in the room with me, and rest assured that room is alive and on fire.
Reading the letters that Patsy wrote to Treva Miller is a window into the woman behind the music. Learning a little bit about Patsy Cline the woman makes the music even more alive for me.
I wish I could've known Patsy personally. I have had the honor of meeting her husband, Charlie, and her daughter Julie, when I was inducted into the Grand Ole Opry in March 1999. I certainly felt Patsy's presence in the room that night as they watched my performance from the wings. In reading these letters you'll see what the Opry meant to Patsy. I now know just how she felt.
Patsy Cline's music will live forever because she sang from the heart, she lived the words of her songs, and she had and has one of the most passionate voices to come along in any genre of music.
As Patsy would say...
'Always Musically Yours, Trisha Yearwood'

-Diane
~~~~~~~

ProducerJ
07-14-2002, 12:48 AM
This is a great book! I have a copy, and it's one that once you start reading you can't put down. You really feel like you get to know Patsy by the end.

The authors came in and did an interview and book signing with us last fan fair, and they brought 3 large display cases with some of the actual letters and Patsy memoribilia with them. They have a webstite at http://www.patsycline.net/ if anyone is interested.
J.

fuzzwuzz
07-14-2002, 02:22 PM
I'm slowly reading a good one now too. The Nashville Family Album, "a Country Music Scrapbook/by Alan L. Mayor/Nashville's Best-known Photographer/Introduction By Garth Brooks." Wouldn't you know, chapter seven is devoted entirely to Garth, and has the best "butt-shot" of Garth climbing a rope ladder in concert! But it's Alan's fond memories through words combined with his photos, which makes this book so much more special in connecting us fans to the people who make thie music we love. I find the same with our own Friends in Net Places. Only there, I find how it is Garth has connected us as fans, not just to him.

I should like to hear more about Patsy through another's eyes from that book Diane. If I come across anything interesting in mine I'll do the same.

I'm off in a few minutes to a local music event featuring the best in music talent in my area. Including "Whispering" Bob Rodgers from American Bandstand fame, and my friend Chaz who sang Garth to me for Mother's Day(Shameless and Honey Can You Squeeze Me In. He's promised me to get something going with Chris Gaines music too). I'll have to check out the links in other artists when later tonight.

Garth_FANtasizer
07-14-2002, 06:20 PM
I love Patsy Cline! I'm going to have to get that book. An added bonus that Trisha wrote the foreward! :)

Dale - I've been meaning to get that book too. I tried to find it at my library but they didn't have it. It sounds like something I need to own! A great butt shot is enough incentive for me! ;)

~Ann~

fuzzwuzz
07-14-2002, 08:36 PM
Lol Ann! Wish I had a scanner! ;)

fuzzwuzz
07-14-2002, 10:20 PM
The show hosted by Whistling Bob Rodgers was great! (I don't know why I keep calling him Whispering Bob. Lol!) And Chaz informed me he's off to Nashville in August! Way to go! But truthfully, my community still needs him here too.

I tried to read excerpts from the book at that Patsy Cline site but nothing appeared after I clicked a link there except some nice wallpaper. I should like to see something from it posted here though. Is there anything about the song Garth and Trisha have both sung, After Midnight?

ProducerJ
07-15-2002, 12:22 AM
I have the book.
I have a scanner.
Does someone have a page number....?

J.

TrishaNGarthFan
07-15-2002, 02:46 AM
Oh Joyce!! If you get that butt scanned into this thread, you will be next in line for the "Rachael Rocks" category. Now it'll be "Joyce Rocks!! and/or "Thank you Joyce." I'm preparing my new banner as I write this.

Umm...Can't you scan thru the book real quick and look for the butt? I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to find!

Gutterville does not roll up the streets at 9pm, as one might think. We're awake and open for business....

Sue

Originally posted by ProducerJ
I have the book.
I have a scanner.
Does someone have a page number....?

J.

BLL
07-15-2002, 04:20 PM
Joyce- page 238!! lol

Garth_FANtasizer
07-15-2002, 04:45 PM
I hope your scanner doesn't break like your C&P did! :eek:

~Ann~

ProducerJ
07-15-2002, 06:29 PM
THUD!

Going to the book case now....
J.

ok - had to come back and tell you I found the picture.... that is most definately... a butt shot.

ProducerJ
07-15-2002, 07:12 PM
ok, this has been a nightmare to try to resize for PG picture sizes, if someone has a personal website they're willing to put the full sized picture on, this really doesn't do it justice.

At ANY RATE - before posting I need to plug Alan's book.... Nashville Family Album - which includes "Chapter 7: Garth Brooks." 30 pages of garth pictures and stories, some you've seen before, like the cover of American Thunder, GB flying over Texas stadium, and the official GB / Sandy / Taylor baby portrait - and many more candid shots in limosines, small venues, and getting silly stringed on stage. And then... there's THIS shot:

Garth_FANtasizer
07-15-2002, 07:33 PM
My GOD that man is a work of art! Bless you, Mr Mayor!

Thank you, Joyce!

~Ann~

ad012
07-15-2002, 07:39 PM
You guys are too funny. we really have to much fun on here. it was a nice picture though ;)
:) Ali :)

fuzzwuzz
07-15-2002, 11:21 PM
I'm sorry Diane! Lol! It's my fault! Maybe we need to change back to our regular broadcasting on Patsy Cline! Got anything interesting in that book?

fuzzwuzz
07-17-2002, 02:21 AM
I guess Diane must be busy enjoying that book! Hurry back Diane, ok?

Joyce? I wanted to ask you if you've ever run into Alan Mayor in Nashville? Surely, with all the country stars he's met there and seem to love him, he must be highly regarded and known by many of your peers. Do you know him?

countyfair_85
07-17-2002, 10:28 AM
:eek:
What's going on in here?

Hey Ann! I've been looking for you... Now I see where you've been hanging out for a few days... stuck on that link Joyce posted????! :D

ROFLOL! (Here, let me help you peel the lenses of your eyes off the computer screen) :o

Anyway...
I've read some of the book and found bits and pieces of information about Patsy that could be compared to Garth and the character Chris Gaines...when it involves going POP. It was an idea Patsy had to create a different name to reach across the borders set by musical catagory. She wanted it to be a secret though, so fans wouldn't know who she actually was.

Another interesting thing...
the song "Walking After Midnight" was considered more 'pop' than 'country' back then!

I don't understand how that could be!

When I get some time, I'll post a few things you might find interesting.

-Diane

ProducerJ
07-17-2002, 11:04 AM
Yes Dale, I've known Alan for several years, he is just a super nice guy. He's also got great stories to tell for all the neat things he's done, like being summoned on quick notice to Louisiana to shoot a Tim McGraw concert only to find out he was really there to shoot Tim and Faith's wedding. Or getting called to shoot a wedding on stage at the Opry, and not be told until he walked into the dressing room and seeing Lee Ann Womack in her dress who's wedding it was. He was the Opry photographer for years, and has gone on the road with most anyone who's ever had a tour bus.

I saw him a few weeks ago at Fan Fair, he came by and shot some stuff for us, and he gave me several discs of pictures. I came home and looked at them and they were just candids of my daughter at a party we had a couple of years ago that he'd found when going through old photos.

I'm excited to go through the book and read it again now.

But back to Patsy... ;) It's interesting, isn't it Diane, the songs that are considered country classics now that were such rebellious songs at the time. All the Waylon stuff is the same way. Patsy Cline not country? That's CRAZY!
J.

fuzzwuzz
07-28-2002, 01:41 AM
Tonight I was reading and skimming through Chapter 6: Welcome to the Business, and found some Garth goodies to share. I see there's also a nice section devoted to Harlan Howard. I know I'll enjoy reading that.

I'm really tired so I'll only share a little tonight of what it says in ch. 6. The chapter is about all the people with various jobs as a team effort helping to make the artist a star.

From page 168: "After all the songs are chosen and recorded, there are the manufacturers and distributors of the records. A few years ago, this part of the business was brought home to me by the appreciation Garth Brooks gave to the folks at the EMI Production plant in Jacksonville, Illinois. These people had produced every tape and CD that Garth had sold. At that time, the number was fifty million. The Chamber of Commerce representative pointed out that 800 families in that town owed part of their livelihood over the last five years to Garth Brooks. I saw him bow his head a little bit. Although it was a thank-you, it was also a realization of how many people depended on his success. Not only do you depend on them to make good records for you, they depend on you, the artist, to make music good enough for them to keep manufacturing going. That's alot of responsibility."

I hope there's lots of Garth and Chris Gaines backlog, and lots of other good stuff coming out from other artists, to keep things going for these people who depend on the music for their daily bread. Here, I'm the one purchasing music for my own "daily bread", so, I guess it's a fair exchange. But I'd like to see these people make some of the higher money the big shots do who wouldn't have a product to give us without the little people in the business.

fuzzwuzz
07-28-2002, 02:38 PM
I remembered when I met Garth, how gentle his hands were as he handled my cd's with such loving care and feeling. After reading about how much weight rides on him with his music, I see his love for the people through his music even more. It makes my heart go *boom*! Lol.

Diane, before I come back here and share more stuff from Alan's book, I hope you'll grace us with more letters from Patsy. :)

fuzzwuzz
08-01-2002, 12:59 AM
I hope everything is ok with Diane. I haven't heard from her all week. Have any of you?

I found something related to Patsy Cline in Alan's book in chapter six, page 190:

Willie Nelson's song "Crazy" was a major hit for Patsy Cline in 1961 and for Linda Ronstadt in 1977. In recent years, I've heard Trisha Yearwood, Leann Rimes, Mandy Barnett and many others claim a spiritual connection to this song. That song, along with "Night Life" and "Funny How Time Slips Away," are timeless in their emotion, and came from the experiences Willie lived, then remembered in song.

Garth_FANtasizer
08-01-2002, 05:10 AM
I got Patsy Cline: Letters to a friend" from the library the other day but I haven't started reading it yet. :)

Dale - I haven't heard from Diane either. I hope all is well with her.

~Ann~

fuzzwuzz
08-02-2002, 10:08 PM
Cool Ann. Could you share some of Patsy's thoughts from the book that touched you? I wonder what's so special about the song "Crazy"? Does the book say anything about that or "I Fall to Pieces"? I'm not too familar with her other songs except the one Garth covered, but I do have the video of the movie about her. There is a key scene where she's dancing in a parking lot with her manager/husband maybe? Maybe I should watch it again. I think it's called Sweet Dreams?

I found some more stuff on Garth in chapter six of Alan's book but I think I'll save that for a new Garth topic later. :) And I think I'll give Diane a call this weekend.

fuzzwuzz
08-19-2002, 05:41 PM
Patsy Cline Tribute, TV Special Take Shape

Country legend Patsy Cline's musical influence continues its ride almost 40 years after her death. As previously reported, a tribute album featuring such artists Norah Jones and Diana Krall is in the works, and a remastered version of Cline's 1967 "Greatest Hits" album plus a network television special are in the pipeline.

Of note is that the tribute, "Remembering Patsy Cline," and the "Greatest Hits" remastered album both feature the same songs in the same order, according to MCA Nashville executive VP Mark Wright.

Additionally, the first track on the tribute is a slight remix of Cline's 1961 version of "Walking After Midnight." Her vocal was mixed in with a new blues/rock backing track -- a use that was approved by Cline's husband, Charlie Dick. MCA Nashville chairman Bruce Hinton and Wright produced the album.

The tribute also features Martina McBride with Take 5, Natalie Cole, Jessi Alexander, Michelle Branch, Amy Grant, Lee Ann Womack, Patty Griffin, Rebecca Lynn Howard, and k.d. lang. "All of the artists on (the tribute) are passionate about Patsy Cline," Wright said. "You can tell when an artist is really involved with the music."

The albums are likely to hit stores this year, but because talks of a network TV special are under way, the release date is on hold. Numerous ideas for the special are being bandied about, including a show that highlights performances by the tribute artists under a biographical backdrop.

Cline died March 5, 1963, in a plane crash. She would have turned 70 on Sept. 8.

-- Tamara Conniff, The Hollywood Reporter

http://www.billboard.com/billboard/daily/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1612443

Is Trisha gonna get to contribute I wonder?

ProducerJ
08-19-2002, 06:17 PM
Wow, that's interesting. Walking After Midnight is the song I'd heard Trisha was going to do, but that was months ago.
Very very interesting...
J.

fuzzwuzz
08-19-2002, 06:31 PM
Maybe Trisha's vocals will be on it with Patsy's?

diem nash
08-20-2002, 04:48 AM
She already did in her own way:

XXX's And OOO's

(An American Girl)
(Matraca Berg/Alice Randall)

Phone rings baby cries TV diet guru lies
Good morning honey
Go to work make up try to keep the balance up
Between love and money
She used to tie her hair up in ribbons and bows
Sign her letters with X's and O's
Got a picture of her mama in heels and pearls
She's tryin' to make it in her daddy's world
She's an American girl
An American girl

Slow dance second chance mama needs romance
And an live-in maid
Fix the sink mow the yard really isn't all that hard
If you get paid
(She) used to tie her hair up in ribbons and bows
She's tryin' to make it in her daddy's world
An American girl
An American girl

Well she's got her God and she's got good wine
Aretha Franklin and Patsy Cline

She's (gonna) to make it in her daddy's world
An American girl
An American girl
She's an American girl

She's (gonna) to make it in her daddy's world
She's an American girl,yeah
But, She tied her hair up in ribbons and bows
Signed her letters with X's and O's
X's and O's
X's and O's ( fading out )

:)

But I think sheŽll do something.

Love!

Maddy :D

fuzzwuzz
08-21-2002, 11:34 PM
PATSY CLINE TRIBUTE TAKES SHAPE

Country legend Patsy Cline's musical influence continues its ride almost 40 years after her death. As previously reported, a tribute album featuring such artists as Norah Jones and Diana Krall is in the works, and a remastered version of Cline's 1967 "Greatest Hits" album plus a network television special are in the pipeline.

Of note is that the tribute, "Remembering Patsy Cline," and the "Greatest Hits" remastered album both feature the same songs in the same order, according to MCA Nashville executive VP Mark Wright. Additionally, the first track on the tribute is a slight remix of Cline's 1961 version of "Walking After Midnight." Her vocal was mixed in with a new blues/rock backing track -- a use that was approved by Cline's husband, Charlie Dick. MCA Nashville chairman Bruce Hinton and Wright produced the album.

The tribute also features Martina McBride with Take 5, Natalie Cole, Jessi Alexander, Michelle Branch, Amy Grant, Lee Ann Womack, Patty Griffin, Rebecca Lynn Howard, and k.d. lang. "All of the artists on (the tribute) are passionate about Patsy Cline," Wright said. "You can tell when an artist is really involved with the music."

The albums are likely to hit stores this year, but because talks of a network TV special are under way, the release date is on hold. Numerous ideas for the special are being bandied about, including a show that highlights performances by the tribute artists under a biographical backdrop.

Cline died March 5, 1963, in a plane crash. She would have turned 70 on Sept. 8.
(Tamara Conniff, The Hollywood Reporter)

http://www.countrystars.com/index.html?/news/haislop/n-update.html