PDA

View Full Version : 1st Annual PG / TFK Charity Auction

ProducerJ
05-31-2002, 02:54 PM
Announcing the 1st Annual Teammates For Kids Charity Auction!

What: An Auction of donated items - all proceeds going to TFK
When: During the PG Convention
Who: All PG Convention Goers
Why: For the kids!

Details: All PG Convention goers are invited to donate an item that will be auctioned off. Bring something to share - doesn't have to be Garth related. Items will be auctioned off and the money raised, Mary Liz will deliver to TFK!

Any volunteers to be the auctioneer?
J.

ProducerJ
05-31-2002, 03:01 PM
I thought it might be a nice idea to start a list of donated items so we could see what items are coming in and give others ideas.

First item - a batch of advance country music cd's and singles.

CheyenneWindRoper
05-31-2002, 03:19 PM
2nd Item ~ Garth Stained Glass

3rd Item ~ Garth Night Light

4th Item ~ T-shirt

PJ
05-31-2002, 03:21 PM
Great idea, but wouldn't it make more money if all PGers were open to bid, not just those attending the convention? Might you consider accepting silent bids from those who cannot attend?

ProducerJ
05-31-2002, 03:32 PM
That might be something we can look at in the future, but I think for a first time out we'll be doing good if we can organize a live auction. That's why I posted it here in this forum.
J.

PJ
05-31-2002, 03:39 PM
Which night will it be? Will a final schedule be posted soon?

Jen19
05-31-2002, 03:42 PM
Yeah like Joyce said its gonna be alot of work just to have the live action alone with all of the other things going on at the convention.. its a good idea and if it works maybe we can do one on PG.

Also postage would eat up alot of the money that could be going to the chairty.

Please everyone coming try and bring something anything would be great.

If something doesn't sell maybe we can list it on PG after the convention !!

JEN

PJ
05-31-2002, 03:48 PM
I can't imagine something NOT selling! :)

Jen19
05-31-2002, 03:49 PM
About the schedule its still in the words it will prob be Friday night during the party if I can work that out .. if not we will have it sunday morning during our breakfast. I should be posting a temp schedule in the next week or so.

JEN

Monica Lockhart
06-04-2002, 10:35 PM
I think the auction will be great.. but hard to organize the first time around.

Since we have really never done this before I too think it will be best if we do a live auction and try for a silent auction next time.

Moni

Paula
06-04-2002, 10:57 PM
Thanks for bringing this back to the top...I forgot about it.

5th item ~ unopened Limited Holographic First Edition of Garth Brooks in...the Life of Chris Gaines

6th item ~ unopened Limited First Edition of Scarecrow

I also had a thought...for those PGers who are not going to be able to attend the convention, if there is something to be auctioned off that you are interested in, perhaps a proxy bid arrangement could be arranged through someone who is attending.

Paula

Harriet
06-06-2002, 08:39 AM
This auction sounds like a great idea to raise some money for a great cause and have some fun doing it! It's also a great idea to have proxy bids so more people can be in on the fun even if they can't get to the convention...that's why a more definitive list of items up for bid is needed before we convene...and I also think some kind of committee should be formed to set opening bids on each item so everyone knows where to start...and the increments should be uniform too, imo...like, say, bids go up by a buck...what do you all think?
I've been looking around for suitable items from my collection and so far I have 2 that may be of interest:

1. I have a ticket from the Sept. 28, 1999 Conan O'Brian show that Garth appeared on...it's not autographed, but it's an authentic ticket from that show...isn't that the day the CG album was released?

2. I have some fliers from Capitol Records that were the itinerary for the events of July 14, 1999...Garth did a private show at Sony studios here in NYC to showcase the Chris Gaines project...the fliers list all the activities of the evening...I feel I should add that these are copies of the original fliers..the originals are long gone, so that may decrease their value, but it's still a cool thing to have, imo...

I'm still searching for more stuff...
I think if we all search our own archives we could come up with some things we can bear to part with,...it ain't easy though, lol!
I probably have some other country (though not Garth) stuff that I could donate...I have to look...
this is a great idea! Kudos to Joyce for thinking of it!

can't wait to see everyone!
Harriet

fuzzwuzz
06-11-2002, 01:56 AM
Wasn't there a charity auction planned once at PG only recently by Nelty? What ever happened with that?

Harriet, please do tell all the Chris Gaines activities at Sony Studios that night!

CheyenneWindRoper
06-11-2002, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by fuzzwuzz
Wasn't there a charity auction planned once at PG only recently by Nelty? What ever happened with that?

That was cancelled.

Huggs,
Mary Liz

fuzzwuzz
06-11-2002, 12:15 PM
Oh really? But why Mary Liz? Is this it's replacement?

CheyenneWindRoper
06-11-2002, 12:32 PM
Dale~

Nelly decided the timing was not right. Nope this is not it's replacement. This is an idea Joyce came up with all on her own for the convention....I think it will be a ton of fun!

Huggs,
Mary Liz

PJ
06-11-2002, 06:34 PM
I thought the previous auction was also canceled due to lack of participation.

Harriet
06-11-2002, 07:56 PM
Dale, that night was quite adventurous, and we had loads of fun, but we didn't get to go inside and be part of the audience...we tried absolutely every angle, and garth was upset that we didn't get in, but we couldn't get anyone there to help us out so we hung outside with the crew all night...later when it was over and garth came out, he was like..."you don't ask the LABEL people for help, you need to find one of US" we were like "well we TRIED!" we put our ear near the door and heard snippets...and the sad part is, some girls who were inside said there were empty seats in the 2nd row..and how did THEY get in? they knew people at Sony..they didn't even like Garth, they just took the tickets to kill an evening...they had no clue about what it was all about! and sadder still is that the caterer that Capitol used is an acquaintaince of someone in our group..of course, we didn't know his company was catering it till we saw the truck there...the catering company had a dozen tickets and only 5 were actually used...we found about that a few days after the fact, and were just sick over it...we often joke now about how we never needed that clipboard lady's help, the caterer could have gotten us in, had we only known! LOL...

hugs..
Harriet

redstrokes77
06-12-2002, 08:20 AM
I've decided to come out of lurking mode to express my opinion.

I had donated some stuff to the ORIGINAL auction which was cancelled, you're right PJ, due to lack of interest. It was intended to include ALL PGers. Once again here's another example of "some" PGers being allowed to participate in events and others not.

There are a lot of fans who would love to participate but again they aren't allowed.

I know I sent a bunch of stuff to Mary Liz including a boxed set. I never found out what happened to the stuff. If you plan to use my stuff for THIS auction I'd rather that they were NOT included in THIS auction. If you want to use them in another auction which includes ALL PGers be my guest.

deb

diem nash
06-12-2002, 08:48 AM
Harriet, thank you sooo much for sharing this story with us! I never can get enough of it!

..."you don't ask the LABEL people for help, you need to find one of US"

How sweet! And how "garthy"! :D

they didn't even like Garth, they just took the tickets to kill an evening...

What do you mean? Did they try to ruin this event??? :confused:

I hope not! Well, I know, that the Chris Gaines-Thing was a big controverse, but there´s a good saying about the U.S. you can use there, too:

LOVE IT OR LEAVE IT!!!

Just simple!

and sadder still is that the caterer that Capitol used is an acquaintaince of someone in our group..of course, we didn't know his company was catering it till we saw the truck there...the catering company had a dozen tickets and only 5 were actually used...

It wasn´t your day and your time, right?
But Garth knew, his people were there! And that´s already something! :D

And great, that you can joke and grin about it now!

About the items not used yet. Well, I´m sure, they´ll find their place in another auction soon. Don´t be disappointed! They´ll do their part to help children. You´ll see!

:D

Huggs!

Maddy :D

CheyenneWindRoper
06-12-2002, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by redstrokes77
I've decided to come out of lurking mode to express my opinion.

I had donated some stuff to the ORIGINAL auction which was cancelled, you're right PJ, due to lack of interest. It was intended to include ALL PGers. Once again here's another example of "some" PGers being allowed to participate in events and others not.

There are a lot of fans who would love to participate but again they aren't allowed.

Everyone was allowed and invited to participate in the auction Nelly had set up on-line...just like everyone is invited to attend the PG Convention. The original auction was to take place right around the time Garth released Scarecrow and I think people were too busy reading about it, the up coming concerts, planning for the holidays, etc. and missing the thread about the auction. Registration was also a bit complicated and I am under the impression that, at that time, people were just too busy with other things to take the time to go through the process. As a result of low registration, Nelly decided the timing was off and that the auction would be held at another time.

Originally posted by redstrokes77
I've I know I sent a bunch of stuff to Mary Liz including a boxed set. I never found out what happened to the stuff. If you plan to use my stuff for THIS auction I'd rather that they were NOT included in THIS auction. If you want to use them in another auction which includes ALL PGers be my guest.

deb

You do know what happened to the things you sent me. Maybe you have had it slip your mind? I wrote to you and asked you what you wanted me to do with the items you donated, I offered to return them to you at my expense. You wrote back and told me to hang on to them ~ which I have! Your items are safely stored away. There has never been any intention to use these auction items for anything other than when/if Nelly re-instates. I have the emails saved if you'd like to see copies.

I do think that anyone who cannot attend the convention and wants to participate in the auction should make arrangements to have an attending PGer phone them and they can join in that way! Heck Christies Auction does that all the time, we can do it that way too. :)

Huggs,
Mary Liz

redstrokes77
06-12-2002, 04:10 PM
I remmeber your email Mary Liz and my response. I haven't seen Nelly on PG for a long while so that's why I wanted to make sure that my items were for the specific auction... if it ever takes place. :(.

I'm sure she's busy with school.

As for everyone being able to attend the PG convention I'm thinking about those who live overseas etc. PG includes ALL of you. I'm sure the cost of a trip to Nashville from overseas is quite costly. That's why I thought maybe they could pick up a piece of memorobilia and support a good cause.

Thanks for hanging on to the stuff ML but I HOPE someday to have them auctioned off for TFK as was my intention!

It'll be interesting to see which will happen first...the auction, or the new PG t-shirts!

deb

diem nash
06-13-2002, 06:24 AM
Well, I´m from overseas and I can´t be at the PG-Convention. I wish I could, but it´s impossible. But I´m not jealous or angry. I wish you all a wonderful, damn great time there. In spirit I´ll be with you. And one day I´ll visit Nashville - The capitol of country music. I´ll even walk the historical PG-Convention-Route. And than I´ll see you all. I´ll see you having fun, I´ll hear you laughing and joking around. That´s how it should be and I´m sure it will. So no bad blood, please. We are one big bunch of a Garth-Family - brothers & sisters. We should remember this.

Everything´s okay and the items will do something good at all.

Love,

Maddy :D

Jen19
06-13-2002, 10:01 AM
If anyone that can't come to the convention and would like to donate the item please contact me at Jenlvsgarth@aol.com and we can set that up-

JEN

ProducerJ
06-13-2002, 10:10 AM
PERHAPS SOMETHING IS NOT CLEAR HERE:

Ok... perhaps 2 things are not clear here.

1. People who are coming to Nashville the first weekend of August are being asked to bring an item with them to auction off to other convention goers with all monies raised being donated to TFK. These are the people donating, these are the people bidding. This is completely separate from any previous, current, or future Planet Wide auction that Nelly or any one else may want to organize. (and if you want to organize it, step right up)

This is one of MANY activities that will be going on that weekend as part of the convention that the people who attend will be participating in. That is why it was posted in the PG Convention forum. People who aren't attending won't be going to the gates, eating at the Pancake Panry, or touring the Hall of Fame either.

2. I revert back to the original post on this

Why: FOR THE KIDS

How anyone can complain about something benefitting such a wonderful cause is beyond me. :confused:
J.

fuzzwuzz
06-14-2002, 12:39 AM
Maybe the complaint is some are feeling left out of a chance to help also. But there are other ways to do that too, right? :)

Have fun at the PG convention, those who are lucky enough to attend!

redstrokes77
06-14-2002, 08:31 AM
Twas indeed my point Dale.

I don't mind the idea of the auction I just wanted to include as many people as possible. Sorry, my mistake.

Jen kindly asked if people who weren't attending the convention to contact her if they wanted to donate something. I wasn't the first person to bring it up.

There are other ways of holding auction such as the silent auction. There might be a reserve price that will have to be met but no one will know the final winner until the end. Also a raffle might work too.

So what IS it going to be? Are others allowed to participate or will it be strictly for those who are attending the convention? As it stands it seems to still be up in the air.

deb

Jen19
06-14-2002, 10:30 AM
If you NOT attending you may DONATE an item but we won't be doing we are going to be doing the bidding at the convention so you will have to be present to buy something. If something does not sell or we have left over items that we don't acution off then we may post them on PG in a slient auction type.

Joyce does this sound correct ?

JEN

Jen19
06-14-2002, 04:11 PM
I want to add to this and say that we would love to have it be fair to everyone even the ones not attending but Joyce and myself and everyone eles that is helping with this are going to be doing enough work as it is so we CAN NOT take on an online aution at the same time. I hope someday soon we maybe able to do that but For now

IF YOU DON'T ATTEND THE LIVE AUTION YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO BID.

Suggestion- if you know a freind that is going ask them if they will bid on something for you if you know something you may want.
that is the only suggestion I can make.

I would love for anyone that can't go to donate items this is for the kids remember and that is all that matters-

JEN

CheyenneWindRoper
06-19-2002, 12:05 AM
Today Teammates has given me an official, authentic, genuine....the very last one in existance from their first (& original) limited addition order...a brand new, not fake or copy but the REAL McCOY....

Teammates for Kids baseball cap by New Era(mfg brand name)for the auction! The hat is in white with navy blue letters surrounded by silver, embroidered into the hat not a sewn on patch.

Start saving your pennies boys & girls....this is the LAST one from the limited edition order...and these, as we all know, are "Garth's babies" so I am guessing everyone is going to want to bid for this.

Huggs,
Mary Liz

Vanessa
06-19-2002, 12:15 AM
wow Maryliz!! :eek: That hat sure does seem really nice!! Have fun bidding on it!! :)

vanessa :)

diem nash
06-19-2002, 04:00 PM
Wow! What great news and what a gift from TFK!!! Thanks, guys/gals!!!

:D

May someone get it, who really deserves it!

I keep my fingers crossed you you, buddy!

Have a damn great time!

Huggs!

Maddy

Garthfan92
06-19-2002, 10:55 PM
WOW, Mary Liz! That's awesome! I'm guessing it's gonna get expensive, but it's for a great cause, so that IS really the idea!

Lisa

ProducerJ
06-20-2002, 06:09 PM
How VERY cool Mary Liz! Good going!

We may need to hire auction security, LOL. Wouldn't want a catfight breaking out over the one REAL MCCOY TFK hat!
J.

berriffic
06-20-2002, 11:35 PM
ROFL! I will play security guard! I use to work security for shows in ohio! As for the hat! Sounds like a great item! I am a poor college student but I will see what I can come up with. I work at the HOF and my boss may have something she can help me with for the auction! Garth has thrown quite a few events there. geee I am getting so excited.

fuzzwuzz
06-21-2002, 12:00 AM
Which Hall of Fame berrific? Do you have the link to the Rock 'n Roll Hall of Fame? Justin Hayward is supposed to be doing a benefit for the preserving the Amazon there tonight. Isn't that in Ohio?

berriffic
06-21-2002, 12:02 AM
Actually when i am home I live 30 miles south of the Rock and Roll HOF...But when I am here at school I work at the Country Music Hall of Fame in Nashville!

<3 ber

PJ
06-21-2002, 10:26 AM
I just read Moni's post regarding the auction and was surprised to see that items will have a reserve price. I guess I assumed since all items were donated, all items would be sold to the highest bidder to send as much money as possible to the charity. Using reserve prices leads to the possibility that some items don't sell. Might I suggest instead of using the reserve price system, make the opening bid high enough that an item can sell for the opening bid without worrying about a reserve price. I expect everyone who has donated expects their items to sell so I hope the reserve prices will be very low if this system is used.

Just my opinion, I could be wrong.

ProducerJ
06-21-2002, 10:55 AM
PJ - are you going to get to come to the convention after all? I'm telling you, Kyle would LOVE to spend your anniversary with us!

Yes the reserve will be reasonable, it's just to alleviate a $25 item going for $6, and the person who donates it feeling like it was a waste. I really don't think it will be a problem, and this way we'll get the maximum amount for TFK. If you have a $25 item that starts out with an opening bid of $20, it will preclude people from getting in on the bidding early and working their way up - this way will allow everyone to be able to participate.
Joyce

PJ
06-21-2002, 11:04 AM
I plan to try to get to the party, but probably not to the rest of the activities.

I understand your point regarding having an expensive item go for a low bid, but that's why I was suggesting just making the opening bid more appropriate than using a reserve price. I guess I just assume that anyone donating an item doesn't really expect to get it back so any price an item gets for the charity would be more money they didn't already have.