PDA

View Full Version : KISS:: covered Moodies/Beyond the Make-up

fuzzwuzz
05-29-2002, 10:50 PM
I'm sure this will air quite a few times on vh1. (Info from tvguide). Wish I had bought the KISS Goldmine issue. If it even had a Moodies mention it probably had even more about Garth. I got the info from the latest edition of Higher&Higher:The Moody Blues Magazine.

KISS: Beyond the Makeup, documentary
VH1, 12:30 pm/ET
Hungry for a story about musicians tortured by the collision of art and commerce? Then this rocking KISS documentary is not for you. But fans who fell for "Beth" and "Rock and Roll All Nite" (both heard here) will love it. Gene Simmons, Peter Criss, Ace Frehley and Paul Stanley recall the kicking tunes and brilliant marketing that made them bombastic pop icons. And before you huff that KISS have enriched only themselves, consider the Michigan high-school football team that went from worst to first after playing KISS in the locker room and wearing makeup on the gridiron. Bottom line? Under the paint, these are just regular dudes… and they're grateful. As Stanley says, "We're four of the luckiest guys who ever walked the earth in eight-inch heels." — Fred Mitchell

KISS group covered Moodies before making it.
Gene Simmons of KISS revealed in a recent Goldmine interview that his band used to perform a cover of the Moody Blues first hit, "Go Now." Simmons said their version "sounds like the original Denny Laine(later of Paul McCartney & Wings fame) version crossed with The Allman Brothers." Apparently, before the band wrote it's anthem, "Rock and Roll All Night," they couldn't figure out how to finish its set, so they would play "Go Now," with Paul Stanley singing lead and the other members on harmonies. Simmons said they considered recording it for their first album but never did, although Simmons says, "We still have a recorded version of that."
Wow! Imagine that! I never gave any serious thought to KISS until Garth, and now come to find out they once closed their set with the Moodies AND recorded it! Who knew? :)