PDA

View Full Version : Concert Review: "Yearwood's Voice Makes Audience Believe"

Garth_FANtasizer
05-28-2002, 04:11 PM
Yearwood's voice makes audience believe

By Charles Passy, Palm Beach Post Staff Writer
Tuesday, May 28, 2002

POMPANO BEACH -- There are no secrets behind Trisha Yearwood's success. No trend the country star has been able to ride all the way. No magic, no glitter. Instead, there's simply this: a voice that makes you believe in each song she sings.

And Yearwood turned a near-capacity audience at the Pompano Beach Amphitheatre on Sunday night into full-fledged believers during her 75-minute set. Not that they probably arrived as doubters: Her fans knew what to expect -- and she, in turn, delivered.

Yearwood is classified as a country artist, but it's a rather pointless categorization, particularly since she's just as at home with material that's closer to pop, rock or even folk. She is, however, a song stylist with a clean, crisp voice and a thoughtful bit of perspective. And these days, country is about the only genre that welcomes an artist who wants to make each lyric count. But even then, she transcends the down-home trappings of the genre.

When Yearwood sings, she seems far less interested in emphasizing that slight twang in her voice than in letting the narrative come alive. Take her account of one of her biggest hits, She's in Love With the Boy. Another country artist might have milked it for each of its dirt-road details; Yearwood, on the other hand, celebrated it through to the finish for its essential message -- that young love conquers all.

And yet, she was just as willing to turn that message around. In Walkaway Joe, the narrative is about a boy who's bound to abandon his girl. Again, it's the way Yearwood paced the song that made it resonate: We saw what was coming, but she still made us wait for the pain.

On songs with a louder kick, Yearwood wasn't afraid to rock out. In Love Alone, from her latest album, "Inside Out," she seemed positively determined to explode each phrase. In Wrong Side of Memphis, she showed off a good-girl-gone-bad bluesy sensibility.

What's remarkable about all this is that it would be a mistake to call Yearwood a live performer. While not uncomfortable on stage, she's clearly someone who relishes the private environment of a studio. She doesn't strut or show off her belly button a la Shania. She doesn't tell funny tales a la Dolly.

She just sings. Fortunately, in Yearwood's case, that's more than enough.

~Ann~

Paula
05-28-2002, 08:17 PM
Thanks for the review. I'm going to see Trisha on Friday night and can't wait!

Paula

Garthfan92
05-28-2002, 09:33 PM
Great review! Thanks for sharing that. I wish I could see Trisha when she's here in a couple weeks, but it's on a night I'm not able to go. Someday I'll get to see her in concert.

Lisa

fuzzwuzz
05-28-2002, 11:20 PM
Oh well. Live and learn. But at least I'm already a Believer! :)

TYJunkie
06-02-2002, 02:36 AM
fuzzwuzz- Don't you know, it's an unwritten rule...Never ever pass on a Trisha concert. If you've never seen her live, you are truly missing something. This was said about Trisha once at the Opry "They say the great ones are even better live, there goes a great one" or something to that effect. Her voice will blow you way!

fuzzwuzz
06-02-2002, 12:45 PM
I won't let it happen again!!

TYJunkie
06-02-2002, 10:34 PM
:)