PDA

View Full Version : Rick Scott

Garthmedic
05-16-2002, 02:04 PM
Has anyone heard of this fine Canadian singer? He is a childrens music performer. I saw him last week at my girlfriend's child's school.

He performs using a dulcimer- am instrument which I had heard of, but had never seen.

He tours internationally and I was quite impressed.

--spud--:)

fuzzwuzz
05-16-2002, 02:09 PM
No I haven't, until now that is. Please teach me more about him and his message to the children. :)

Garthmedic
05-16-2002, 02:20 PM
All of his songs speak of kindness to others, respect of differences and overcoming challenges. He spoke eloquently about the birth of his first, healthy grandchild- and the birth of his second Downs Syndrome granddaughter. He is a spokesperson for the Downs syndrome society (or something like that).

The kids adore his 'down to earth' level of speaking and performing.

allisonv7
05-16-2002, 02:51 PM
What's a dulcimer? I've heard the word, but I can't picture it!!

:D

allison.

BLL
05-16-2002, 08:32 PM
Allison-

A dulcimer is a stringed instrument that looks somewhat like a very elongated fiddle. It can have 4 or 8 strings and is played laying flat across ones knees, like a slide dobro, but the strings are plucked/strummed and fretted like a guitar; sort of an acoustic highbreed between a dobro and a fiddle. It has a lovely, haunting sound to it. It's quite often paired with an autoharp for a very close acoustic harmony. Anita Carter played dulcimer to Mother Maybelle's autoharp. Very beautiful instrument in the right hands. I used to play, but after my brother died (he played autoharp) I lost my heart for it. Once I got carpel tunnel, I gave my dulcimer and my guitar away. I'd rather have them played and in the hands of loving musicians than sit gathering dust..

Hope that helped. I'm not very net savy, so maybe someone can come up with a picture.

Garthmedic
05-16-2002, 11:25 PM
A dulcimer looks like this.

fuzzwuzz
05-17-2002, 12:21 AM
Thankyou for sharing. It was touching and I learned alot.

diem nash
05-17-2002, 06:52 AM
He might be a real true-hearted, fine man. A grandpa already?

I can´t get enough of those stories. So, please, tell us more!

Thanks for sharing it, brother!

Huggs to you and grandma & grandpa Spud! Hope they´re doing okay!
They are still in my prayers!

See ya!

Huggs!

Maddy :D

Blue4GB
06-01-2002, 01:39 PM
Thanks for the picture Spud...never seen an instrument like that! i wonder what it sounds like? I would like to see this guy perform:)he sings country? or it it more like folk music? curious me..lol
I love music!
Kim