PDA

View Full Version : Aint going down till the sun comes up!

ThunderRolls
05-14-2002, 05:12 AM
Ok guys a new poll here, Is it me or does everyone do this. Your driving to work or wherever your going and you put Aint going down till the sun comes up on from the double live album, when it comes on you start to sing "six o'clock friday evening, mama doesnt know shes leaving till she hears the screamin'" then suddenly you cant catch up to Garth singing that song, am i the only person who cant keep up? and am i the only one that tries? what other songs do you try to sing?? let me know

Carl.

Teaser210
05-14-2002, 11:35 AM
I don't have a clue how they did that. Like where do they breathe? I lose my breath just thinking about it. If there's one song I would have loved to have seen recorded, it's definitely Ain't Goin Down...! I wonder if they sang the vocal tracks together, or did they cut the tracks separately? Must be a bad habit, but I can't even keep up just singing it in my head, I still want to stop singing and breathe. Geesh!

diem nash
05-14-2002, 12:21 PM
What a great song you mentioned!

Itīs funny, but I thought about it, too.
Well, english ainīt the language I learned and speak. Okay! Now I use it "here and there". ;)
However!
There arenīt so many things for sure in life, but I could swear, that I NEVER could sing this song like Garth does. That really would be a surprice!

Great song to party!

:D

Maddy

LuvGarth7
05-14-2002, 01:17 PM
Ok, so I'm not alone, I know exactly what you mean. I know I got the words down, but I can't figure out where to breathe! My favorite part is,

"Ten 'til twelve is wine and dancing
Midnight starts the hard romancing
One o'clock that truck is rocking
Two is coming, still no stopping
Break to check the clock at three
They're right on where they want to be
Four o'clock get up and going
Five o'clock that rooster's crowing"

After all that I'm gasping for air!

*CRYSTAL*

DixieChick4GB
05-14-2002, 01:21 PM
I can't sing it either, but since I have a 17-year old daughter at home, I don't really WANT to sing it too much! :)(I have enough trouble with "She's in Love with the Boy." That's where my teenager is at now. Egads! :)
Elaine

Jude
05-14-2002, 02:53 PM
Well this is the song that got me 'into' Garth. I can't sing along to it either without stopping for breath. Another song in a similar vane is Billy Joel's We Didn't Start the Fire.

Jude

YODELGAL
05-14-2002, 05:20 PM
Well, I guess I can brag here, cuz I can sing it without gasping for breath. You all know how you admire that great Garth chest, right? Well, most singers sing with their head voice, which is done by taking in air in the the upper chest only. Better singers are able to expand their chests (like opera singers) to take in even more air. But the singers who can project their voices, and sing a long note without taking a breath, take air into their guts as well. You know, if you watch someone sleeping, their stomach will go up and down; if they're faking sleeping (like kids will do) their chests go up and down. If you take a huge breath, your lungs will expand AND YOUR STOMACH WILL GO OUT! That's the secret (which I learned when I played french horn in high school). Other singers have occasionally asked me how I can hold a note so long, and I always pass on the secret. I suppose that's something one learns by taking singing lessons too. So practice, and then you too can sing Aint Goin' Down along with Garth!

Stephanie

diem nash
05-14-2002, 08:01 PM
Sing it for us, Stephanie!

Very interesting! I always learn from my Garth-Family!

:D

Maddy

Greeny
05-15-2002, 01:21 AM
LOL~ I do not have a problem singing AGDTTSCU! but mabey because I have been singing to Garth since as long as i can remember and have know the words since i can remember too!

LuvGarth7
05-15-2002, 02:50 AM
Stephanie, I played the french horn in high school too! I know what you mean about the breathing. I know all the words alright, and I can keep up, but I just can't figure out where to breathe, one of garth's little secrets I guess, or maybe thats just why I was in band and not choir!

*CRYSTAL*

ThunderRolls
05-15-2002, 04:58 AM
Im glad to see that its not only me that has this problem,

Gß-fÄŅ
05-15-2002, 09:20 PM
YODELGAL.. I agree with you too and can sing the part if standing still or like if in a choir you practice and keep your voice strong and also you are able to hold notes longer. But if you've seen him do it live and "most of you have" live in person or on TV, when he's running around he has places where he takes a quick breath. The time I noticed it the most was when he was doing one of the award shows and wasn't it Madonna that was suppose to be there but changed her mind so they got in touch with Garth and he did the BIG opening song with that one. Remember him using the cables and flying for that awards show? Not a country award show. Anyhow, somehow to begin with the backup singers weren't loud enough like they usually are and you could "easily" hear him taking those quick breaths and at a few missing the word for a breath. So yes it can be done with a trained voice easily or if you're in a choir, heck a church choir like I am, but no running around cause it can't be done like that. :)
Tricia

mistydawn42450
05-16-2002, 01:37 PM
I don't no if I am the only one but when I sing that song I can keep up with him from start to finsh. I know when to breath and when not to. Somtimes when I am through singing Garth runs out of air before me. I gess When I was in band it streched my lungs so much that Is what helps me keep up with him.

fuzzwuzz
05-16-2002, 03:36 PM
Micky Dolenz does a mean James Brown imitation on the Monkee's song Goin' Down. I do okay with that one but I still don't even know all the words from Ain't Going Down. I guess it's because I got Garth all in one huge helping courtesy of Chris Gaines. I'm not done eating yet so I'll let you know when I'm finished! But from the looks of it that's not likely any time soon.

countyfair_85
05-16-2002, 06:22 PM
Ain't Going Down 'til The Sun Comes Up...

That song is amazing! Sure, I can sing every word...even know when to breath during that song...it takes some practice but after awhile you'll get it! So, don't give up...listen and sing along over and over again... :)
I loved to sing along with Garth for this song at concerts...
I gave it all I had too... even for the screaming parts...
Usually during this song, Garth would climb the ladder that hung down from the lighting rig...and he'd swing on that ladder while screaming that yelling part of the song.
He always made you nervous because you'd get a knot in your stomach and hope he had a good grip on the ropes and prayed he didn't fall!
Good luck perfecting the song! You can do it!

-Diane

Gemo
05-16-2002, 10:52 PM
It is best when you know all the words.....then you can go nuts with it. :)

Scarecrow
05-16-2002, 11:53 PM
You know the kind of people who were born natural singers. They were born to do it. Well there are those kind of people then there are the kind that need to learn how to sing by reading those teach yourself to sing and so forth.
I fall into the naturally born singers. I love it two, that is what Garth is. I can sing the song word for word and still keep up. Sometimes I catch myself singing faster than Garth. My chest knows when to breath.

Back a couple of years ago I sang that for a friend of mine and he was fasinated but the one song that I know that I can sing word for word and keep up with the original singers and no matter who I sing it for, they are amazed and I do not know anyone else who can do it except maybe Garth and the original artist. That song I am talking about is "One Week," by Barenaked Ladies. If you ever hear the song you will see what I mean when I say this. I had to teach a friend of mine how to do it. He never got it though.

Some are born natural singers and some have to learn.!

ThunderRolls
05-17-2002, 05:41 AM
Well unfortunately im not a natural singer but i can hold my own with the best of them, i believe its not how fast you can sing, bu thow you get that song across to the audience, which garth does perfectly.

Briggs7195
05-17-2002, 08:28 PM
For some weird reason...maybe cause I can hold my breath for a long time, but I seem to always be able to keep up...lol it's probably becaues I've practiced so much, I was determined to get it down. He's the best :-)

fuzzwuzz
05-17-2002, 11:59 PM
It is best when you know all the words.....then you can go nuts with it.Well, I don't! But at least I'm already nuts! :)

Steven75407
07-18-2002, 03:47 PM
By the way, that was taken from TIGB2. (I could tell because of Terry McMillan's harmonica work)
Whoever said all the songs Double Live were taken from diffenet places was wrong.

Sara_Kwan
07-18-2002, 05:05 PM
i don't have a problem singing "Ain't Going Down Til The Sun Comes Up" anymore.. anymore.. it took a lot of time and repeating and practicing... hahaha...

another song that was a tough one is "The Fever"... that took me a while too... after both songs i just wanna get up and dance!

Peace & Love
-Sara

Gemo
07-18-2002, 05:22 PM
I was told all the songs put on the Double Live where taken at different places during the Garth World Tour. When we were at the Fleet Ctr. in Boston I do remember Garth saying to sing loud as we were going to be on his next cd....I could be mistaken but I think it was this song. Can anybody else vouch for that?

Sara_Kwan
07-18-2002, 05:39 PM
hey Gemo... i'm not certain, but i also think that all his songs on the Double Live album are chunks taken from many concerts. i may be mistaken... i'm sure there are other people who have more accurate information?

Peace & Love
-Sara

OLE1
07-18-2002, 06:01 PM
Hi,

Steven75407 - Garth himself all the songs were taken from diff shows on the tour and used on DL.

We have the interview right here LOL He was grilled about which song was from where etc and was being very coy and cheeky LOL He said Ireland would know which songs were from Croker and then they named some of them that were used and the crowd pieces they used to fill others etc.. But "Ain't Going Down" was defo from that tour. We can't be sure who it was but at Croker there was the exact same playing as in TIGB2 cos if you look it's not G on stage and it cuts away and he makes his way to gangway on top of stage overlooking stadium. We will have to check our vids and pics to see LOL

Paula
07-18-2002, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by Gemo
When we were at the Fleet Ctr. in Boston I do remember Garth saying to sing loud as we were going to be on his next cd....I could be mistaken but I think it was this song. Can anybody else vouch for that? You were right...he did say that at his show at the Fleet Center. But he said that at all the shows. Ole1 is right...he said that the songs came from different shows and the crowd noises also came from different shows.

Paula

ScoobLuvsGarth3
07-18-2002, 09:59 PM
i can sing it all the way through too, but i dont sound half as good as Garth does. when i got the box set, i listened to that song ALL THE TIME, so i guess i got in some practice. anyways, AGDTTSCU is a great song! take care,
-Melissa

allisonv7
07-19-2002, 12:20 AM
Originally posted by ThunderRolls
"six o'clock friday evening, mama doesnt know shes leaving till she hears the screamin'"

Carl.

Isn't it:

"six o'clock friday evening, mama doesnt know shes leaving till she hears the screen door slammin'" ?? Thats what I sing at least :)

allison.

boppityboo
07-19-2002, 01:40 AM
LOL! I think you are right Allison, about the screen door slammin' not anyone screamin'. It would be a good example of how people hear it differently than others. Like that thing they had in Country Weekly a while back. :) I too, will admit that I can keep up with the song. I have to have it real loud though to drown out my own voice, bad as it is, but who cares, my girls and I just belt it out whenever we hear it. It's a great song to sing to.

Ellie

gitm4me
07-25-2002, 03:12 PM
I can sing it, as long as I sing it alone...if my sister and I happen to be together singing this song, we throw each other off and start laughing!! And yes, Allison, the line is "til she hears the screen door slammin'". I guess Garth sings it so fast that it just sounds like one word!! Stephanie - "sing from the diaphragm" is what I've always been told, you are so right!
Paula and Gemo, I was at those concerts in Boston and Garth did say we were going to be on his next album...I like to "Believe" that it was our concert on Double Live!!!!
Gail =)

ThunderRolls
07-25-2002, 03:19 PM
allison you took my quote out of context, i know the words, i meant when you get to that point you just want to exhale, or at least i do

Snow
07-25-2002, 05:43 PM
I don't have a problem with the breathing.... I just get tripped up on the words even after all these years. *lol*

I too learned about proper breathing when I was learning the flute, oboe, and baritone and in chorus.... and when doing plays... *lol* Helps to make you heard well in the back of the audience without yelling.

Then in maritial arts it was emphasized even in greater detail in our Ki breathing excercises. It's amazing how it really does build up your energy to breath correctly. I remember at my first belt test the last thing we had to do was break boards with a palm strike. It was sort of a surprise and we hadn't practiced it much... and not usually breaking the boards on the first strike. Then at the test, they told us to do this particular ki breathing exercise twice and then palm the board .......... and whooooosh..... they broke cleanly the first time and I didn't even feel it. *lol*

ThunderRolls
07-26-2002, 06:37 AM
My only salvation is on the video to garth live in central park where he sings aint going down till the sun comes up with billy joel, he slows it down, so that helps if i do that lol but then he ha sto go fast again doesnt he lol but i'll get there im determined too.

Carl.