PDA

View Full Version : Grammy Boss Quits

fuzzwuzz
05-08-2002, 01:55 PM
Strange that I should find this in Aussie news first, but not anywhere else where I usually get word of things in the music business. Of interest is the role of Garth Fundis. Isn't he Trisha Yearwood's manager? Has any of Trisha's fans reading heard about this meeting that went down ousting Greene's power over the Grammy's all these years? I know Dick Clark is suing Greene when he refused to allow old friend Michael Jackson performer on the American Music Awards. One thing I did like about Greene was how he did seem very concerned about the piracy of music online. But he did seem to run a dictatorship at the academy. What do you all think about it? (And I don't mean about Michael Jackson's crotch, but about the battle over the music and the artists rights? :) )
Grammy boss quits
30 APR 2002
AP

THE Grammy organisation has been thrown into uncertainty following the sudden resignation of its aggressive longtime president C. Michael Greene.
While there is likely to be little impact on the Grammy show itself, some of Greene's pet projects face uncertain under new leadership.

Those include a proposed retirement community for music professionals, the still-struggling 3-year-old Latin Grammys and Greene's plan to convene a massive industry summit to discuss artists' rights and copyright protection.

Grammy trustees met yesterday at the group's Santa Monica headquarters to take stock of the situation and begin the search for a new president and CEO. Meanwhile, Greene met with staffers and said the nonprofit group was otherwise healthy.

"He said the best time to retire from baseball is after you have won the World Series," Grammy spokesman Ron Roecker said. "So he thought now was the best time to step down because the organization is in really great shape."

When Greene took over in the mid-1980s, the organisation had 14 employees, 3,500 members and $US4.9 million in assets. The Grammy organisation currently has about 120 staffers, 17,000 members and more than $US50 million in assets.

During his tenure, Greene was dogged by investigations into whether charity funds raised by the Recording Academy were used properly and many considered him to be overly temperamental.

Daily business at the National Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences will be overseen by Grammy trustees chairman Garth Fundis, who convened the emergency meeting over the weekend that resulted in Greene's resignation.

A probe into Greene's alleged sexual harassment of female employees cleared him of wrongdoing, and the Grammy president stepped down for unspecified reasons, Fundis said. Details of the investigation were not released.

The Recording Academy will likely seek a replacement who is more diplomatic and willing to share power with trustees. No formal candidates were suggested on Monday.

"(Greene) ran the Grammys like a one-man band, wielding power over a Hollywood award like no one other person in showbiz history," said Tom O'Neil, author of "The Grammys," an unofficial guide to the music show. "Today, that's rare in an industry run by committee."

ProducerJ
05-08-2002, 03:48 PM
This was big news in Nashville last week. You're right about Garth Fundis, he was Trisha's producer, as well as Keith Whitley's, and if memory serves, produced Ty England's first 2 solo projects.
J.

fuzzwuzz
05-08-2002, 09:27 PM
Joyce, how was it big news to Nashville too? And how will it affect the music industry? And is Garth Fundis still Trisha's manager? Him and Garth must be good friends then I gather if he produced Ty England.

BLL
05-08-2002, 10:10 PM
Um.... actually James Stroud and Bryon Gallimore produced Ty's "Two Ways to Fall". Great CD BTW. Garth Fundis produced Trisha's first 7 CD's (From 'Trisha Yearwood' through RLW), not her manager She's managed by Nancy Russell. :)

Teaser210
05-09-2002, 12:12 AM
I posted a link to an LA Times article last week at TT.com. I just checked it out and the link is still valid, but to view the story I had to register my life history so I could login. At least it's free. Here's the link. http://www.latimes.com/business/la-042802grammy.story

I was eager to discuss the ramifications of Garth Fundis heading the Grammys, even if just temporarily. Does this mean a power shift? More respect for country? More air time? Does this mean Garth Fundis is crossing over to pop? j/k

Here's who produced what for Trisha's albums:
Trisha Yearwood.................Garth Fundis
Hearts In Armor..................Garth Fundis
The Song Remembers When...Garth Fundis
The Sweetest Gift...............Garth Fundis
Thinkin' About You..............Garth Fundis
Everybody Knows...............Garth Fundis
Songbook..........................Garth Fundis, Allen Reynolds,
........................................Tony Brown, Harry Stinson, Trisha
Where Your Road Leads.....Tony Brown, Trisha
Real Live Woman...............Garth Fundis, Trisha
Inside Out..........................Mark Wright, Trisha

ProducerJ
05-09-2002, 12:30 AM
Originally posted by fuzzwuzz
Joyce, how was it big news to Nashville too?
The music industry is Nashville's biggest employer.
The Grammy's are the biggest music industry awards.
Garth Fundis is a Nashvillian.

It would be like the Detroit media covering a resident of Motor City being considered for the head of General Motors.

Big news.

CheyenneWindRoper
05-09-2002, 12:35 AM
Originally posted by fuzzwuzz
Joyce, how was it big news to Nashville too?

Dale ~

I'd have to say it would be similar to an Italian being the new Pope in Rome!

:)
Mary Liz

Teaser210
05-09-2002, 08:54 PM
So, I'm still curious here. What kinds of Grammy changes are people expecting to see? From the LA Times article, I gather there was some differences between Garth Fundis and C. Michael Greene. What kind of lobbying is going on for the presidency?

fuzzwuzz
05-10-2002, 12:25 AM
Then this is a good thing then? An exceptionally good thing? Maybe this Greene had alot of good ideas but truly lacked the vision for them if he thought only he could run it? Seems like for all his efforts to help he actually stifled the music for too long? Wow! Now you've all got me pretty excited! Let's see what these people who fought him, like Dick Clark, can do with the music now! Let us know any rumblings in Nashville, ok Joyce? Or changes in the air?

fuzzwuzz
05-31-2002, 09:52 PM
The Recording Academy has appointed a search committee to hire a replacement for Michael Greene, who resigned as president/CEO in late April. Trustees have also revamped several Grammy Awards categories. Among the major changes are a new field for dance music, instead of simply a category in the pop field. Two categories were added in the R&B field: best contemporary album and best urban/alternative performance. The category of best rap solo vocal has been split into female and male performances.

In addition, the trustees increased funding for grant programs from $400,000 in 2002 to $700,000 next year. The grants fund music-preservation programs, research projects, and medical studies for music professionals.

-- Melinda Newman, L.A.

fuzzwuzz
06-12-2002, 11:50 AM
Nashville-based producer Garth Fundis (Trisha Yearwood, Keith Whitley, Don Williams) was re-elected chairman of the board of trustees for the National Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences (NARAS), the Grammy-granting organization, during recent meetings in Hawaii. The board also appointed a search committee to select a replacement for Academy president Michael Greene, who resigned in April.