PDA

View Full Version : ~What Song Got You Hooked On Garth?~

countyfair_85
05-03-2002, 08:57 AM
I thought it would be interesting to share with each other the song that got you hooked on Garth... the song that draws your attention everytime you hear it... you can only choose that special song that started your Garth music relationship in the beginning...not a song of albums you heard afterwards.

For me it was "We Shall Be Free" that made me listen and go out to buy his albums... the song is still the one for me.

-Diane

Garth_FANtasizer
05-03-2002, 09:12 AM
The Change

~Ann~

DixieChick4GB
05-03-2002, 09:32 AM
THE DANCE :) Oct 9, 1999 (better late than never), I turned on a country station by mistake and that song was playing. I was immediately in tears and sent my husband out to buy me a Garth Brooks CD with that song on it. That was the beginning...:) :)
Elaine

GBsgirl
05-03-2002, 09:51 AM
The song that got me hooked was watching Garth sing THat Ole Wind on
the Ireland and Back special.

Pammy

RiotGB
05-03-2002, 10:22 AM
The River

Dawn :)

lee512w
05-03-2002, 10:38 AM
Much too Young(To Feel This Damn Old)
:D
Leelee

TrishaNGarthFan
05-03-2002, 11:03 AM
2 of a kind, workin' on a full house.

CheyenneWindRoper
05-03-2002, 11:49 AM
I voted for The Dance.......It wasn't the first Garth song I ever heard or liked, but the one that really "grabbed" me! Now that Garth has me, I hope he'll never let me go ~ I know I'll never let go of him!

Huggs,
Mary Liz

Jen19
05-03-2002, 12:55 PM
I voted for FLIP becasue it was the first song I liked. and it made me go back and look for more, then on to buying his CD and from there its history :) Its not my favorite song but it sure did rope me in :)

JEN

madam divine1
05-03-2002, 01:01 PM
Learning To Live Again!! :D

Tina

allisonv7
05-03-2002, 03:07 PM
Unanswered Prayers, I remember being absolutely blown away by its message.

allison.

LuvGarth7
05-03-2002, 06:12 PM
Much Too Young, Garth Fan from the beginning!

fuzzwuzz
05-03-2002, 06:26 PM
I told Garth when I met him that "it was 'Unsigned Letter' that got me in", as I patted my heart and walked away. Little did I know "That Summer" was in The Chase right behind it, almost neck-to-neck, or should I say "cheek-to-cheek." :)

Garthfan92
05-03-2002, 11:01 PM
Unanswered Prayers got me hooked, because it helped strengthen my faith when I really needed it. WSBF reeled me in though. I knew I had a lot to learn from someone who could make that kind of statement with so much conviction. The first time I heard it was live at my first concert too. Talk about being blown away!

Lisa

fuzzwuzz
05-03-2002, 11:22 PM
That's the word Lisa! How many artists these days really know or believe what they are singing and bringing to us fans? Or even care? Yet, I see alot of sincerity in today's country music, and look how it's eating up the charts!!

Garthfan92
05-03-2002, 11:35 PM
You're right, Dale. It's that honesty and sincerity Garth always talks about. It's the artists I feel that honesty and sincerity from that I love. When I get tired of hearing a song or artist, that's what I inevitably realize is lacking.

Lisa

MelMalovesGB4eva
05-03-2002, 11:55 PM
"That Summer" got me hooked.
We hadn't had a country radio station in Boston for about four years and when we finally got one back, "That Summer" was a hit. I was like wow, who is this guy. I bought the CD and it's been love ever since.:)

Lisa

GBheartandsoul
05-03-2002, 11:55 PM
There are so many wonderful songs that I love, but the one that really got me into Garth was The Dance. It's message is simple yet profound & ultimately timeless. Garth's vocals are so warm and expressive and just go straight to your heart. The music is beautiful, evokes a lot of feeling and is memorable. The video of the song just made me love it & Garth even more.

Seira:)

berriffic
05-04-2002, 12:23 AM
In January 1991 I had spent the last six months watching my grandfather ( the only father I ever really had) slowly die of cancer. The nite he died...somethin in my knew it before they ever told me. I woke up that morning and I was just scanning the radio for music. Then all of a sudden if tomorrow never comes came on the radio. I just knew that was a sign from my granpa that he was ok. What was even more remarkable at the time was I didn't like no did I ever listen to country music. But from the second i heard ITNC...Garth had a believer for life and Country had a new fan. Actually.. It lead me to my soon to be career in music business.

I <3 you Garth

<3 ber

Monica Lockhart
05-04-2002, 12:27 AM
Much Too Young was the song I heard first and I said.. "wow" that voice just speaks to me.

The Dance is my all time favorite.. but it isn't the song that first caught my attention.

:)

Moni

countyfair_85
05-05-2002, 01:00 PM
I find it amazing the variety of songs that 'hooked' so many! :)

Although the first song I heard was 'A New Way To Fly'...it was around 3-4 years later the song 'We Shall Be Free' really hooked me, hook line and sinker! LOL :D

I guess 'A New Way To Fly' really caught my attention though...especially since I remembered hearing it so many years later! And I remember exactly what I was doing the day I heard it! Strange! :)

Thanks for responding everyone! It's fun to read about other's experiences with Garth's music and song lyrics...

-Diane

GarthFanIU
05-05-2002, 04:57 PM
Shameless! Specifically, from the This Is GB special. (and I was hooked even before the swivel!) :)
Jody

gbcgbeliever
05-06-2002, 12:05 AM
Believe it or not Mr Blue!! Always loved that song and my son knew this and told me there was a country singer who had it out...Then I heard Friends In Low PLaces and fell in love with the line "where the whiskey drowns and the beer chases my blues away" ..Don't ask me why.. I don't even drink....From then on I was and still am hooked on the guy called Garth Brooks..

Teaser210
05-06-2002, 12:57 AM
In Pieces was my first Garth album and the song I listened to the most was Ain't Goin Down Til the sun Comes Up. I can't sing it without gasping for breath. How do they do it?

CountryBee
05-06-2002, 01:34 AM
"Rodeo" was the first song that really hooked me. At the time that song came out, it sounded very different from anything else being played on Country radio.
Bee

Vanessa
05-06-2002, 05:10 PM
I can't really remember what specific song but I know that it was "the Hits" that got me hooked! :D

Vanessa :)

ferretcrazy
05-06-2002, 07:27 PM
Oh my gosh! it was "Mr. Blue" for me too! :)
A friend was going to throw away a Garth tape that he found in the garbage. It was all rock n roll stuff which he kept. But asked if anybody liked Garth Brooks? I said why not, Ill take it...well it was a tape with "No Fences" on one side, and "Ropin the Wind" on the other, I was like oh man!...and the rest is history. I wish I was listening to country in 1990..cause i KNOW if I heard MTYTFTDO..I would have been hooked. But 1998, is better than never!

Joan :)

Tipper
05-06-2002, 11:47 PM
Unanswered Prayers got me hooked. Little did I know how much I would learn and how many dreams would come true. That song will forever ping my heart!!

fuzzwuzz
05-07-2002, 12:08 AM
Joan! As they saw, one man's trash is another man's treasure! I'll beg and work for Garth food anyday! In fact, my manger was gonna throw away her Garth Central Park video, then she remembered "poor" Dale at work hungry for all things Garth! I'm not ashamed to take handouts anymore! ;) Got my Wal*Mart Sevens pin that way too!

Lost 'n' Garth
05-07-2002, 12:20 AM
I voted for Other...

"Shameless" was the song that made me the Nutt that I am today!!

"FILP" was the first song I ever heard from Garth and made me say to the DJ at the club I was at(many moons ago).."Who is this guy?"

But...........
"Shameless" did me in!! ;)

Cheri :)

gbkubfan
05-07-2002, 01:05 PM
Hey...
the song that hooked me on Garth was Much Too Young. I heard that song on the radio and was immediately hooked. I still can replay that song over and over and not be bored. I will always love that song. The song that also would have hooked me was Ireland. But I was already hooked.

Melanie J
05-07-2002, 06:11 PM
Belleau Wood got me hooked on Garth, My brther-in-law had the album and that was the first song I ever heard Garth singing, I'd never even heard of him before that.

ProducerJ
05-07-2002, 08:10 PM
Welcome to the Planet Melanie! What a great to bring you to Garth!
J.

Ruthanna
05-07-2002, 09:26 PM
Shameless got me..:) I LOVE that song. (I especially love the SWIVEL!!:))
~Sarah

TzeDance
05-07-2002, 10:44 PM
With so many songs I like its is hard to vote for this...
But ...

'Unanswered Prayer' got me started
and 'The River' properly my all time fav ...
It's just what I think I need in life :-)

Alyn

diem nash
05-13-2002, 10:03 AM
What an interesting, but also difficult question! There are sooo many special songs for sooo many special moments!
I read this thread earlier and wanted to think about it. But you know what?! My heart answered quite then, when I read the question.
For me itīs "If tomorrow never comes". When I heard this song my heart started beating the "Garth-Rythm". And it still does and will never end! ;)
I am somebody, who first of all loves her family and friends. This song says sooo much about me and the things, which are most important to me. When I heard this song the first times I cried. And than I said to myself: "Thatīs it! Itīs time to do it again! Never forget!"
Till today it remembers me, what really counts. I try to let the people I love know, how much they mean to me and how much I care. I NEVER say "Good Bye!" without to let them know about it.

"If tomorrow never comes" is MY Garth-Song.

So tell that someone that you love
Just what you're thinking of
If tomorrow never comes

I love you! :)

Huggs!

Maddy

countyfair_85
05-13-2002, 11:47 AM
Awwwwwwwwe Maddy~ :)

I hope you never say Good-bye...but thanks for letting
us know we're loved~ :) That's so Garthy!
Is he hiding out at your house? LOL

-Diane

diem nash
05-13-2002, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by countyfair_85
Awwwwwwwwe Maddy~

I hope you never say Good-bye...but thanks for letting
us know we're loved~ That's so Garthy!
Is he hiding out at your house? LOL

-Diane

:D :D :D

Well, heīs, where I am - always! Maybe you canīt see him, but you can feel, that heīs there.
Heīs everywhere, where his friends are. So heīs also where you are. Heīs in your heart and mind. I can see him through your eyes, hear him through your voice and feel him through your love.

You just need to let him in. And I know you did it long time ago and heīll have a place in your heart forever!

Garth told me to send you this note from him:

"You've always been
Time and again
The one to take my hand
And show me it's okay to be
Just the way I am
With no apology

Oh you've always been
And you will 'til God knows when
Yes you've always been a friend to me"

He says: "Diane, thank you for beinī a real, true friend to me! Iīll try to do my best to be worth it!"

And btw! Maddy NEVER says "Good Bye!" forever! Whatever happens, Iīll be, where my family and friends are! If not in person than in spirit! Believe me!

Huggs!

Maddy

fuzzwuzz
05-13-2002, 11:53 PM
Maddy! The Garth in me hugs you right back! Thank you for sharing his message with us. Love, Dale

Snow
05-14-2002, 12:09 AM
The first song I liked was FLIP but it wasn't until "The River" that I really, really "got it". Until then Garth was simply another artist that I liked...

"The River" reached in and grabbed my heart and spoke gently but strongly to it. It put life into perspective... so I would say it is what really made me an all out Garth-lover and not just someone that "liked" his music.

It caused me to go back and look at the earlier songs with a new eye and kept me anxiously looking for new ones.

fuzzwuzz
05-14-2002, 12:35 AM
You know Deb, I've been doing that, going back and digesting the old songs like new. It's just amazing how much more life just comes out of it than you ever dreamed possible. Like hidden treasure waiting to be found that you had no idea was even there, but when you stumble on it, you KNOW you made an awesome discovery! I wonder what else I've missed along the way? I know Chris Gaines gave me back those "blurry" years of what was the 90's for me, by giving me Garth and all the music I loved reborn. But I can't even imagine what The Lamb might bring, can you? It's kinda invigorating just anticipating the possibilities but I'd rather be surprised by what else Chris can do! :)

diem nash
05-14-2002, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by fuzzwuzz
Maddy! The Garth in me hugs you right back

I could feel it! Thank you very much! :D

Hereīs one for you:

(((((DALE)))))

Maddy & Garth ;)

boppityboo
05-14-2002, 05:14 PM
I'd have to say If Tommorrow Never Comes started it for me. I was really tired of what pop radio had to offer in the early 90's and was in the car and flipped channels and stopped at ITNC. I had vaguely heard of Garth Brooks( unimaginable now, huh?) and I really loved his voice. The dj said it was Garth, and I actually started listening to more country music. Then his first tv special in Jan. 92 was being advertised everywhere, and I thought to myself, hey, that's the guy that sings ITNC, so I tuned in. That was it! Hooked, line and sinker as they say. :) After watching Shameless, hehe... the next day, I went out and bought Ropin, then Garth Brooks, then No Fences....I've never looked back. Ken was impressed with the concert cause Garth smashed the guitar.. Ken being a big rock fan(Kiss, Led Zepplin, Black Sabbath, Queen, etc.), he thought Garth was pretty cool. He likes most of Garth's songs, but has left the obsession to me. lol

Very :cool: to read everyone's first time with Garth.

Ellie

stardustb
05-16-2002, 07:41 AM
I picked we shall be fee cause i deticated that song includeing the change to the sept 11 wtc incodent when i did kareokee and i didnt know there was a contest going on at the time nobody didnt even posted signs up like they normaly do around hear but i ended winning the first prize and got a standing ovation. that day i will never forget it it so far was the happiest day of my life.

amy

fuzzwuzz
05-16-2002, 03:11 PM
That's great Amy! Way to go girl!!

Billy23
05-17-2002, 10:25 PM
The second semester of my senior year in high school, 1991. I had went to lunch with one of my friends and he had a big stereo with subs in his trunk, I didn't listen to country music, and he plays The Thunder Rolls. I loved it and my life has never been the same. That afternoon after school, I went out and bought No Fences. The next afternoon I went back and bought Garth Brooks. That summer, we drove six hours to see Garth in concert at The Ohio State Fair ($3.00 per ticket) and we were blown away. I have now met Garth twice and saw him perform thirteen times (nine concerts and three times at The Opry). Although The Thunder Rolls introduced me to Garth, it is now way down on the list of my favorite songs by Garth.

countyfair_85
05-17-2002, 10:45 PM
Welcome to PG Billy23

Interesting story about Garth's music coming into your life!
Thanks for sharing...

-Diane

cntrypoet
05-21-2002, 07:43 AM
I realy DONt know what made me do it, but i made the mistake of puting one of my sisters tapes in the player, as i took a shower.

I had heard this guys voice before, and some of the songs wer familure. My sister had liked garth and had rented his first concert video right after our mom died.

As i was listning i noticed that this ws some good stuf, the lyrics wer great, and realy made me feal good. But as soon as the first two lines of the corus frome one song came on, i felt such truth, and such pain.

"sometimes i thatnk god
for unanswerd prayrs"

I couldn't belive it. It was right what i needed to hear. I hadn't listend to music for years. And i had only bought myself one tape, the single of "wind benith my wings" But THIS, I cant explain it, (and here i dont think i have to)

this was great music, and i wonderd if there was outher music out ther as good as this. I tuned to KSKS 93.7 out of fresno ca, and found that their was. But I swiched stations as soon as i hear of K-Garth 101.1 All garth brooks all the time. (now that was the best station i have ever heard) haha

over time I have hard garth songs, and i'm trying to figure out how this guy knows so much about me?

I can watch the video to SOTF, but i see it diferent fromemost people, having a disability and running track in 8th grade. of corse that dance is special to me. If you ever geta chance to help sombody realize that they can rise above the norm, and acept the people outehrs don't, listen to cthe change, it's a lot differnt!!

i guess it's kinda like that line in "this moment with you" by Vence gill. "i never heard the song, untell i heard the quier singing the day moma passed on"

just some more timeless rambilngs froe aninsaine poet

fuzzwuzz
05-21-2002, 01:01 PM
I'm listening. :)

rob6852
06-04-2002, 07:02 AM
Friends in Low Places got me hooked when i was in bootcamp (Navy).
Allways seemed kind of ironic haha.

CheyenneWindRoper
06-04-2002, 10:39 AM
That IS funny Rob! Maybe FILP should be the official bootcamp song! That ~ or the oldie song from the 60's "We Gotta Get Outta This Place" (by the Animals)!!! ;)LOL

Welcome to PlanetGarth! We hope you'll stick around and post lots!

Huggs,
Mary Liz

MDgarthgirl
06-04-2002, 11:20 AM
My way to Garth was actually through Trisha. I had her Songbook album cuz the song from Con Air was on it, yes, which was the only reason I bought it.

I was letting it play when I was on the computer, go figure, and number 4, "In Another's Eyes", came on. *tongue feeling inside of cheek* The scar from the hook is almost healed, though. ;)

Nash