PDA

View Full Version : Music and money: gospel market share on the rise

fuzzwuzz
04-24-2002, 12:45 AM
From today's Nashville City Paper. Christian music sales continue to rise and the 33 rd Dove awards are Thursday at the Grand Ole Opry and on Pax TV.

By Paige Orr

The Gospel Music Association (GMA) Sunday said Christian music is now estimated to be 6.7 percent of the total music market, up 40 percent from the previous year.

The announcement was part of the GMA’s 2002 Gospel Music Week, which is being held downtown through Thursday.

GMA President Frank Breeden said he expects that figure to be revealed shortly in the Recording Industry Association of America’s annual survey of consumer music-buying patterns.

Sales of contemporary Christian and gospel music are on the rise, growing 24 percent from the previous year to almost 14.3 million units, said Breeden, citing SoundScan, the music industry’s retail tracking system.

In contrast, he said SoundScan numbers showed overall music industry sales continue to decline — down more than 9 percent from last year.

“SoundScan started tracking our growth six years ago,” Breeden said. “When our sales numbers were actually seen by the public and music industry, it helped confirm that this was a growing market.

“All of our major labels have now been purchased by mainstream entertainment companies. Their marketing ability and capital has helped our music break through to the mainstream so that now 53 percent of our sales last year took place in mainstream stores.”

Butch Spyridon, executive vice president at the Nashville Convention & Visitors Bureau, said the weeklong event has a substantial impact here.

“It strengthens the Music City brand and makes it that much more valuable, especially from a diversity standpoint,” Spyridon said.

The Renaissance Nashville Hotel is the headquarters hotel, said John Fleming, the hotel’s general manager. Fleming said he expects by the end of the week his hotel will have been 95 percent full for the entire week, which he terms “very good.”

“Downtown does very well for the week,” Spyridon said. “And it peaks around award time.”

The week will culminate with the 33rd-annual Dove Awards at the Grand Ole Opry House, which is sold out, according to the GMA. The show will be televised live Thursday night on PAX TV. Anybody know who's hosting, presenting, or performing?

DixieChick4GB
04-24-2002, 12:40 PM
Hosting is Yolanda Williams and Kurt Warner (QB for St. Louis Rams)
Elaine

XFER
04-24-2002, 04:29 PM
I heard Rebecca St James and Toby Mac ar gonna perform ;)

However, I will not know jajajaajajja
:(

fuzzwuzz
04-24-2002, 10:29 PM
I saw Rebecca St. James Christmas concert a few years ago. Awesome! I have never heard such professional musicians. The sound was the crispest I witnessed even since.

If I think of it maybe I'll tape the awards and watch it later.