PDA

View Full Version : Record label appologizes for not supporting "Man of constant sorrow"

Darrell
04-15-2002, 11:48 AM
Heard this on my local radio station the other day. Seems as if the record company over the single "Man of constant sorrow" has re-released the song as a single and enclosed a note to programmers appologizing for not promoting it enough when it first came out. I guess five million in album sales will make believers out of just about anybody :)

Also the most heavily played song on my local station these days is..? You guessed it, a bluegrass song. It's the new Ricky Skaggs/Dixie Chicks duet called "Walk softly on this heart of mine". Yep it's the same song the Kentucky Headhunters had out awhile back with a bluegrass flavor to it. Have you heard it yet Joyce? Give us the scoop on it!

ProducerJ
04-15-2002, 06:24 PM
I have heard this song Darrell, it's very good! WSM-FM plays it quite a bit, for those that listen on the net. I believe it's from Ricky's new bluegrass album on Lyric Street. If you hear it, you'll be able to pick Natalie out very clearly, her voice is so distinct.

I talked about the re-release / apology from Mercury a little in my last column, part of the note is in there if you're interested: http://www.planetgarth.com/columnists/column.php?column_id=765

Now, I have to say, I enjoy a little bluegrass music sometimes, like the above mentioned song, but it is odd to me that mainstream country channels play just one or 2 bluegrass cuts. It makes them stick out like sore thumbs, more so than maybe doing a dedicated bluegrass show on the weekends. Just my random thoughts.
J.

Darrell
04-15-2002, 06:45 PM
Joyce,
I remember reading that now that you mention it! I agree about those bluegrass songs sticking out. Did you happen to read the article in the tennessean a couple of months entitled "Ten songs radio should be playing, but don't". Several artists you see on CMT were mentioned along with a few others. Artists such as Dolly Parton and her song "shine". Also Alison Kraus (The lucky one), Pat Green (Three days), and Rhonda Vincent. It was a very interesting article. Also if I'm not mistaken, none of Patty Loveless' songs from her bluegrass album were played on mainstream country radio. Something to think about.

fuzzwuzz
04-15-2002, 11:52 PM
What else was it the record label said Joyce? Something about fighting for the music together? That's such good news!

ProducerJ
04-16-2002, 12:59 AM
Ahhh yes Darrell, Craig Havighurst's article. He's a HUGE bluegrass fan!
J.