PDA

View Full Version : Garth at Farm Aid

ProducerJ
04-14-2002, 01:57 AM
I'm taking a trip down memory lane tonight - anyone want to come along?

We had Willie Nelson in studio this week, and it got me thinking about the very first Farm Aid - 1986, in Champaign, Illinois. I brought in my t-shirt from that show to show Willie, which led to a conversation with another HOF staffer, who told me that he had the broadcast on tape. (We didn't have cable tv in '86 in my little small town... I'd never even seen MTV.)

So all of this has been on my radar the last week. And now I'm sitting here watching CMT's Inside Fame with Willie Nelson and they're doing the Farm Aid segment.

John Cougar Mellancamp (or whatever variations he goes by now...) is talking about Farm Aid and how one of the greatest concerts in history was the Farm Aid in Indianapolis, about 4 or 5 years in. He said EVERYONE who was hot in music was there that year. Then he said that Garth Brooks played at 1 or 2 in the afternoon, before anyone ever knew who he was.

Then they showed a clip of a very young Garth taking his hat off and saying how glad he was to be in the great state of Indiana for the VERY FIRST TIME.

So, I know we have some Hoosiers on the Planet - was anyone at that show? Did Garth do other Farm Aids?
J.

GBsgirl
04-14-2002, 01:33 PM
Joyce,

I don't know about Garth being at the Farm Aid in Indiana but I was at the very first one.!!!!!!
We were stationed at Chanute AFB in Rantoul, Illinois just down the road from Champaign. I remember I worked at the Day Care Center on the base......my girlfriend and I were using thier phones to try and get tickets. We finally did. :)
We had a blast that day. We got there really early. They finally opened the gates about 830 and let us all in. We ended up in the bleachers about the
50 yard line. I think the concert started about 10am and went til about 1AM . I was so tired
when we got home. And probably a little high...... LOL The guys next to us were smoking pot all day.
It rained a lot but as soon as the Beach Boys came on stage it stopped raining.

The tickets were $17.50!!! And we saw Willie Nelson, John cougar Mellancamp, Kenny Rogers,
Waylon Jennings, BB King, The Beach Boys, Loretta Lynn, Forgiener, Merle haggard, John Denver,
Alabama, Billy Joel, Hoyt Axton, George Jones, Charlie Daniels, Sammy Hagar, Van Halen, and Neil Young and I'm sure I 've forgotten some.

Pammy

TammyLS
04-14-2002, 06:35 PM
I don't know how many times Garth has done Farm Aid, but I always love watching them on television! They usually have great artists and its for such a good cause.

illinigarthfan
04-14-2002, 08:16 PM
GO ILLINI! I don't think Willie, John and Neil could've picked a better place in the world to hold the first FarmAid. I wish I could have been there....

matt