PDA

View Full Version : my lunch break :)

Jen19
03-19-2002, 05:00 PM
Ok, I can't post much. Its now 4pm my time in Nashville and I had a wonderful lunch break, I promise to fill you all in later but I thought I would but people in suspence for now..LOL I know I'm mean. I don't know when I will post but sometime later today. But I can tell you I just got to see Garth....hhehehe I'm smiling :)

JEN

Garthfan92
03-19-2002, 05:43 PM
Jen, you just CAN'T do that to us!!! Come baaaaaaaaaaccccccccck!!!

Lisa

Lowell Miller
03-19-2002, 05:49 PM
:p

countyfair_85
03-19-2002, 05:58 PM
Jen! How can you do that? :eek:

Couldn't you take the rest of the day off from work????
You know, so you could come here and post away about
seeing Garth!

LOL :)

Oh the suspense! Hurry back!

-Diane

Vanessa
03-19-2002, 06:14 PM
:P that's not fair Jen!!! you can't keep us hangin like that!! :p :P Glad you're dat went well and I can't wait to hear what you have to tell us! :)

Vanessa :)

Lost 'n' Garth
03-19-2002, 06:39 PM
Jen you are a BAD GIRL...I think you need to be sent to your room!!
That is...
your room that has your computer in it so you can get to typing and tell us what happened today!! ;)

Cheri :)

JoAnn L.
03-19-2002, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by Jen19
I had a wonderful lunch break, I can tell you I just got to see Garth...I'm smiling :)JEN

Um Okay Jen?? Garth & lunch break put together?? I want to know what y'all had for desert??? :-) I got (2) things to say, you better hurry back & start posting....it's not nice to tease us like this!! The other thing I want to know, was chocolate involved??
:-P

JoAnn

ProducerJ
03-19-2002, 07:31 PM
JoAnn - don't go there on this one. :) This is a STRICTLY out of the gutter experience, and when you find out about it, you'll be glad you kept it that way. :)

However.... let me add to the story just to say - she saw him somewhere you'd NEVER expect to see Garth.
J. (who got a phone call from a very excited Jen today.)

wmcinnis
03-19-2002, 07:32 PM
That's a nasty thing to do to us Jen:eek:
Okay you have to be finished work by now.....where are you
Maybe lunch went so well, she had to continue to dinner;)
We're waiting...not very patiently, I might add;)
-Susan-

Garth_FANtasizer
03-19-2002, 07:43 PM
JEN! You naughty girl! You should NEVER let work interfere with a Garth moment! You can always get another job! :)

And shamey, shame, shame on you Miss Joyce for adding more suspense by that NEVER guess where stuff! All I can think of is pee wee herman and the news saying "You'll never guess where pee wee Herman was seen!" :eek: LOL

Hurry Jen and ease my mind!

~Ann~

Vanessa
03-19-2002, 08:06 PM
random guesses on where Jen saw garth:

-playing baseketball
-pumping gas into his truck
-at one of his daughters' soccer games

:)

Vanessa :)

racmac
03-19-2002, 08:19 PM
Hey Joyce,

Does that mean what I think Joyce...Mr you wont find me at The Ryman was indeed there today for the Harlem Howard Memorial???

Its the only place I have ever heard him say you wouldn't find him performing etc because he feels such respect for the place.

Cant wait for details here...

Rachael

AngelTrisha9
03-19-2002, 08:53 PM
maybe he just attended without performing. Wouldn't that be something he'd do out of respect? Or I don't have the slightless idea how he is! ;o)

no1cowgirl
03-19-2002, 09:22 PM
Oooooooo good thinking Rachael :) Jen GET BACK HERE! :P

Krista

countyfair_85
03-19-2002, 09:35 PM
Joyce,

Give us a hint to what time she arrives home from work at least? :)

I hope she doesn't have dinner before posting! LOL :D

-Diane

RckyMtnGirl@hrt
03-19-2002, 09:50 PM
Ooooh Jeeeeeen. Where aaaare youuuuuu?!:D

CC *waiting, clicking nails on table, waiting*

ProducerJ
03-19-2002, 09:56 PM
Yooooooo Hooooooooo Jen! The natives are getting restless ! ! ! !

I can't hold them back much longer!!!!!
J. (who also knows Jen got off work hours ago....)

amd-b
03-19-2002, 10:00 PM
I keep coming back to this post for the update. Jen are you out there tonight???
Anxiously waiting - not too patiently...
Alexa

wizard2C
03-19-2002, 10:08 PM
Hi!

Okay.......someplace where one would never expect to see Garth........hmmm......let's see.........
I see him everywhere I go! :eek: You know, isn't Garth always there with you.....tucked inside your heart just keeping you company?? :)

Where would I not expect to see him???? I know....at GB MGT....cause it's too obvious. [no]

At the Circle K reading the latest tabloids???? [no]

At the Gates????? [no]

Ugh.......I can't stand it much longer.....I need to know now!!!

carol
wizard2c
"I Shall Save The World!"
"Dance!Sing!Fun!2003!"

countyfair_85
03-19-2002, 10:14 PM
Joyce,

Can't you call her up?
You know, just to make sure she isn't going to bed? :eek:

Tell her we're all sitting here in front of computers waiting for her post! :)

It's like waiting for a Garth concert to start...
you try to be patient, but your over anxious!

Don't rush her... just tell her to HURRY! :D

-Diane

JoAnn L.
03-19-2002, 10:22 PM
I'm sure Jen it taking her time to gather her thoughts, to put her adventure into a readable journey....you know to take us all on her lunch break with her. She's making sure to include all the necessary details she can possibly share. I don't think she's purposely avoiding us or teasing us...at least I hope not. :-)

So, Jen take your time cuz when I read, I want every little detail. When I am done reading I want to be able to smell his cologne and count every whisker on his face and hear his infectious giggles. :-) So I can wait, I have a feeling it will be well worth the wait....again at least I hope so.

JoAnn

Paula
03-19-2002, 10:40 PM
Okay, another restless native signing in. Jen, where are you????? You best not go to bed until you have posted your story!

Rachael, I like your guess.:)

Paula

madam divine1
03-19-2002, 11:10 PM
Ditto Paula!...

Ok Jen, I have no nails now as I have chewed them down to the quick --and just think I had a manicure on Sunday, so if you don't hurry back I'll be forced to start on my toenails (I know, eeeeewwwwwhhhh huh?):D

So hurry back and post!, post!, post! :D

Tina of WDC

ProducerJ
03-19-2002, 11:47 PM
ok in the interest of saving Tina's toenails..... let me confirm the detail that he was indeed

somewhere that someone posted on this thread! LOL

ok, I'm giving y'all a hard time. He was at the Ryman, for Harlan Howard's memorial service, which is why I'm trying to keep Jo's hormones in check. Beyond that, it's up to Jen to share any details she chooses. If she doesn't show up soon... heh heh heh.... I have her address.
J.

Jen19
03-20-2002, 12:24 AM
Sorry guys I really didn't mean to keep you in suspence that long.. but it took a long time to get here to tell you my little Garth moment today but I had a busy day, Harlan Howard died on March 3rd and today at the Ryman friends and family paid respect to him in a tribute show. On my lunch break I went down to see it. I parked across the street as I started walking up to the Ryman I cut through the alley like always. As I entered I almost had a heart attack, there was Garth's Lexus parked right in the alley. I walked up to it and knew it was his. Ok I'm not crazy but we peeked in and saw a ladies purse and 2 cell phones in the council. We went into the Ryman just in time to catch Trisha sing. After she sang she walked back stage and I saw someone take her hand, only a few minutes later they came walking out into the audience and yes it was Garth and Trisha, I know Garth doesn't go to the Ryman but that is now not true he was there with her, they sat next to each other now don't get mad or speculate anything but if Garth does this in public I don't know if he wants it to be a secret anymore. He had his arm around her the whole show. It was cute he would clap and then he would put his arm back. Unfortunately I had to go back to work before the show was over but on my way out I stopped back at his car and this guy said he has caught them coming in. There was a driver and Garth sat in the back-seat, what a gentleman :) So anyway after work I drove back down but I had missed him, so I went over to check GBM, nope not there but Kelley was. I then saw a long stream of cars over towards the sunset grill and I think everyone from the service went there for dinner after. So no, I didn't get to talk to him :( but that is ok, I'm just happy being in the same room as him, As far as him and Trisha are concerned, please don;t get mad at me for my opinion but they really seemed close and if they are I'm very happy for him, I just hope he stays happy, that is all that really matters anyway right, and as far as him going to the Ryman, I thought he said he wouldn't step in the mother church but maybe he just meant sing there, or maybe he has gotten over it and realized its the mother church because that is where music is made. The tribute the 2hrs I saw anyway was beautiful along with Trisha, Jim Lauderdale, Patty Loveless, Pam Tills, the Judds , Emmy Lou Harris and many more performed. Ok I'll be honest, no I didn't know Harlan Howard but I knew his music and now know what a talented man he was and know he had many many friends in the business. The show was very respectful and really great, I wish I could have seen the end but I'm sure it was awesome. So anyway that is my story. No pics weren't allowed but I'll just say he looked really great, and it was great to see him :)

nite-

JEN

allisonv7
03-20-2002, 12:43 AM
Thanks for posting!!! I just got on the forums for the first time of the day and I don't think I've ever scrolled through a thread so fast!! :) :) I'm sooo glad you got to see Garth, even if you didn't get to talk to him.

allison.

P.S. ---- What was he wearing (I'm talking specifics here :p ) Thanks!!

Monica Lockhart
03-20-2002, 01:03 AM
Thanks for you detailed synopsis!!

I am happy that you got to see Garth today! :)

Moni

TrishaNGarthFan
03-20-2002, 02:07 AM
Jen,

Thanks so much for finally posting, it was driving me crazy! (they tell me it's a short drive) I'm glad Garth looked so happy and glad you got to see him!
Sue

fuzzwuzz
03-20-2002, 02:22 AM
Why does something feel so right about this picture? I'm smiling ear to ear!!

TrishaNGarthFan
03-20-2002, 02:35 AM
I must admit, I am too!

Originally posted by fuzzwuzz
Why does something feel so right about this picture? I'm smiling ear to ear!!

Chris Gaines
03-20-2002, 02:51 AM
it's safe to say Jen went to bed and forgot all about us...

that's what happens when ya live with the one you love.. LOL!

Jason

Garth_FANtasizer
03-20-2002, 08:27 AM
Thanks, Jen - You just made my day!

:) :) :) :)

~Ann~

RiotGB
03-20-2002, 08:36 AM
Wow!! I don't know how, but I missed this thread last night. What a great thrill that must have been for you. :) Thanks for posting the details. I know someone already asked, but did you see what he was wearing? :)

Dawn

PJ
03-20-2002, 09:19 AM
Just wanted to throw my thanks in to Jen for finally clueing us in. ;) Glad to know Garth looks happy!

Teaser210
03-20-2002, 09:27 AM
Jen, I heard Trisha sang Melancholy Blue? It would be hard enough to sing a sad song at Harlan's memorial, but Melancholy Blue? Oh my! If it was me singing, there's no way I could get through it without cracking. Did Trisha make it through ok? I think it was great Garth was there for Trisha yesterday. I want to thank everyone at PG for teaching me about Garth, I'm really coming to admire him.

Terry Lynn

CheyenneWindRoper
03-20-2002, 09:41 AM
Jen sweetie ~ You just earned yourself a whole bag of tootsie roll pops! Mark down on your book that you have an IOU from me! ;)

Thanks for the great post. I am so happy you were able to attend, even if it was not for the whole memorial service. Obviously Harlan Howard was a much respected and loved song writer, I am sure he was pleased to look down from heaven and see you there!

Huggs,
Mary Liz

Jen19
03-20-2002, 09:56 AM
Yes she sang Melancholy Blue and before she did, she said
" Harlan I know you wouldn't want anyone to cry here but after I sing this song I will be surprised if everyone isn't crying, when I heard this I just thought this is the saddest song ever"

Another great thing was in-between performers this screen would come down a play clips of friends talking about him, Garth said a few things. But this one guy a fellow songwriter had this crazy story about how Harlan's one wish was that we wished he had written "you are my sunshine" a song everybody knows.. it was quite funny.

About what he was wearing, well one think was he was hatless, he had his hair done you would tell it was all brushed over looked good, soon as he left I'm sure he though on a ballcap..LOL He was wearing all black,black jeans and a nice black top. Trisha also was in all black with a long black skirt and a black top. She had this shaw that was really cool looking too, but not on when she sang.

Does anyone know what Garth fundis looks like, Trisha's producer I think he was sitting on the other side of Trisha, but I'm not sure who the guys was he had a beard. ??

So I think that is it..if I think of something else I will let you guys know :)

JEN

PS: yeah more tootsie rolls :)

Jen19
03-20-2002, 10:12 AM
I thought this was pretty amazing:

CD's and Records
Recorded by Harlan Howard
BUCK OWENS SINGS HARLAN HOWARD
(Available on CD @ towerrecords.com)
1. Foolin' Round
2. Heartaches For a Dime
3. Heartaches by the Number
4. Let's Agree to Disagree
5. Keeper of the Key
6. I Don't Believe I'll Fall in Love Today
7. Pick Me Up on Your Way Down
8. I'll Catch You When You Fall
9. Lyin' Again
10. The One You Slip Around With
11. Think It Over
12. Keys in the Mail Box
13. Foolin' Round (Bonus Track, Instrumental Version)
Originally released on Capitol (1482) in August 1961

WAYLON JENNINGS
Waylon Sing Ol' Harlan
RCA March 1967 (Out of Print)
1. She Called Me Baby
2. Sunset and Vine
3. Woman, Let Me Sing You a Song
4. The Everglades
5. She's Gone Gone Gone
6. Busted
7. Beautiful Annabelle Lee
8. Heartaches by the Number
9. Tiger by the Tail
10. Heartaches For a Dime
11. Foolin' Round
12. In This Very Same Room

HARLAN HOWARD
Mr. Songwriter
RCA 1967 (no longer available)
1. You Don't Know My Mind
2. Grey Eyes You Know
3. Just For The Heck of It
4. I'll Be Gone
5. Now Everybody Knows
6. I'm Tired
7. I've Gotta Leave You Baby
8. Everybody's Baby
9. I Wish I Felt This Way at Home
10. Take It and Go
11. Hello There Stranger
12. Baby Sister

FLOYD CRAMER / JOHN D. LOUDERMILK / WILLIE NELSON / JIM REEVES / BOBBY BARE / GEORGE HAMILTON IV / CONNIE SMITH / EDDY ARNOLD / SKEETER DAVIS / VERNON OXFORD / DON GIBSON / JESSI COLTER / HANK LOCKLIN SINGS THE SONGS OF HARLAN HOWARD
RCA (PL42012) (no longer available)
1. The Blizzard (Jim Reeves)
2. She's a Little Bit Country (George Hamilton IV)
3. The Deepening Snow ( Connie Smith)
4. She Called Me Baby (John D. Loudermilk)
5. I've Got a Tiger by the Tail (Norma Jean)
6. Yours Love (Willie Nelson)
7. The Chokin' Kind (Skeeter Davis)
8. Streets of Baltimore (Bobby Bare)
9. A Thing Called Sadness (Don Gibson)
10. Too Many Rivers (Jessi Colter)
11. Watermelon Time in Georgia (Vernon Oxford)
12. Heartaches by the Number (Floyd Cramer)
13. Lonely People (Eddy Arnold)
14. It's Raining All Over the World (Hank Locklin)
15. Mary Ann Regrets (Hank Snow)
16. Old Podner (Harlan Howard)

TO THE SILENT MAJORITY WITH LOVE HARLAN HOWARD
(Nugget Records Distributed. by Pickwick) (no longer available)
1. Sunday Morning Christian
2. Uncle Sam (I'm A Patriot)
3. We Didn't Build This World
4. That Little Boy Who Follows Me
5. The World Is Weighing Heavy on My Mind
6. She Called Me Baby
7. Three Cheers For the Good Guys
8. Better Get Your Pride Back Boy
9. Mister Professor
10. I Care
11. A Little More Time
12. The Chokin' Kind

HARLAN HOWARD
Down to Earth
RCA 1968 (3886)
1. It's Nothing to Me
2. I Don't Mind
3. Baby Don't Believe Him
4. California Sunshine
5. I Run to the Door
6. Home From the Forest
7. Old Podner
8. If Only You'd Happened to Me (A Long Time Ago)
9. Call Me Up (And I'll Come Calling On You)
10. Wine Women and Song

HARLAN HOWARD SINGS HARLAN HOWARD
CAPITOL T1631
1. Come on Home Boy
2. She Called Me Baby
3. Put Me Back Together Again
4. Has Anybody Seen Me Lately
5. Wishin' She Was Here (Instead of Me)
6. Maybe The Hurt Will Go Away
7. We're Proud to Call Him Son
8. I Hope You're Lonesome
9. Legion of the Lost
10. He's Just a Little Meaner
11. Life Goes On (I Wonder Why)
12. Pretty Good Shape

Chris Gaines
03-20-2002, 10:36 AM
now don't get mad or speculate anythingWe don't have to.. you already speculated for us LMAO

Nice to see Garth there.. but I always thought that when he said what he said was in "PERFORMING ON STAGE" cause he didn't feel worthy to be on that stage. Not really, as in.. won't go inside of it at all. Just my opinion :)

Nice post Jen.. I bet it was a really cool show :)

Jason

Rebslp
03-20-2002, 10:49 AM
Jason

OK - I'm a bit computer illiterate - what's LMAO?

Thanks,
Suzie

Jen19
03-20-2002, 11:08 AM
Susie don't mind Jason. its (Lauphing My A** off).. he is being silly

LOL (lots of laughs) much nicer

JEN

Chris Gaines
03-20-2002, 11:13 AM
Susie don't mind Jason. its (Lauphing My A** off).. he is being silly

LOL (lots of laughs) much nicer

JEN thanks Jen.,..

but I like "LOL= Laughing Out Loud" better heheh

(ya know i just funning.. =)

Thanks again Jen.. for the kewl story! :)

Jason

Rebslp
03-20-2002, 11:14 AM
Thanks, Jen :)

Jen19
03-20-2002, 11:15 AM
Another Article:

http://www.tennessean.com/entertainment/news/archives/02/03/15072170.shtml?Element_ID=15072170

Country artists perform Harlan Howard's hits for his family, fans
BILL STEBER / STAFF
The Judds perform their Harlan Howard-penned hit Why Not Me? during a memorial service for the songwriter at Ryman Auditorium as Howard's guitar and hat stand as a silent sentinel on the stage at left.
By PETER COOPER
Staff Writer
Songwriter Harlan Howard's friends paid him tribute in words and songs yesterday at Ryman Auditorium.

The words were fine, by turns eloquent and humorous. And the songs were better.

I Fall To Pieces, Above and Beyond, Pick Me Up On Your Way Down, Why Not Me?, Detroit City, Heartaches By The Number, Busted, Tiger By The Tail and plenty of others rang through the old building, all penned by Howard and carried on the voices of artists including The Judds, Bobby Bare, Emmylou Harris, Trisha Yearwood, Sara Evans, Melba Montgomery, Nanci Griffith and Michael McDonald.

Those performers each expressed thanks to the man known in Nashville as ''Mr. Songwriter.'' Howard died March 3 and was first memorialized in a private service.

BILL STEBER / STAFF
Emmylou Harris and Rodney Crowell perform a Harlan Howard hit during a tribute to the songwriter.
Yesterday's event drew formally dressed family and friends to the Ryman's lower level, while fans gathered in the Confederate Gallery above, many of them wearing T-shirts, ball caps and denim. No matter: Howard had many strengths as a legendary writer and as a beloved person, but formality was not part of the package.

In a video remembrance that culled comments from various pals and admirers, McDonald noted that, like most musicians and music listeners, Howard loved a great song. ''The only difference between him and the rest of us is, he wrote most of them.''

Vocalist Jonell Mosser opened the 2 p.m. celebration by singing Ave Maria, accompanied by pianist John Jarvis. Then longtime friend and fellow songwriter Ralph Murphy offered some brief comments about the man he described as ''that lovable, thirsty guy.''

Several speakers made light of Howard's drinking, although Murphy was quick to remind that Howard favored bars for more than the alcohol.

Harlan Howard
''Where people were was where the stories were,'' Murphy said, adding that if Howard heard a great story he could usually turn it into ''a killer song.''

Murphy described Howard's catalog of genre-altering songs as a monument, and he spoke to Howard as if he were in the room, saying, ''You built that monument of us — for us.''

A slew of artists then put a shine to that monument, beginning with Jim Lauderdale's version of Heartaches By The Number, a No. 1 hit for country singer Ray Price and pop artist Guy Mitchell in 1959.

The rest of the two-hour program underscored Howard's ability to write in various styles and tempos: Mandy Barnett performed the ballad I Fall To Pieces; The Judds harmonized on the loping Why Not Me; Bare and Griffith sang The Streets of Baltimore; Montgomery brimmed with emotion on No Charge; McDonald sang the bluesy Busted in a style similar to that employed by Ray Charles; and Rodney Crowell shuffled through Above and Beyond with help from Harris.

Buck Owens was scheduled to participate, but was grounded in the Northwest by bad weather. Lauderdale reappeared in his stead, closing the show with Evans by running through a medley of Tiger by the Tail, Excuse Me (I Think I've Got A Heartache) and Howard's first big hit, Pick Me Up On Your Way Down.

While much of the set list could have passed for a primer in country-music history, two lesser-known Howard songs provided poignant moments. Yearwood was appropriately understated in her version of Melancholy Blue, while Dennis Morgan appeared onstage to deliver a song he recently co-wrote with Howard.

''This is the last song Harlan Howard ever wrote,'' Morgan said, before he and a band of A-list musicians performed it: Sweet Jesus You've Come Through Again.

AngelTrisha9
03-20-2002, 11:26 AM
Whao Super!!!! Thanks a Lot Jen! And Garth Fundis do have a beard, he his has a receding(sorry!!!!) but otherwise, blond witha streaks of white. He wears small glasses and he,s a sof looking man. Othewise, I don,t knw how to desribe him! But thank you for posting out it!

GBShameless
03-20-2002, 12:34 PM
Very :cool: Jen, thanks for posting your Moment. Hey wait a minute how did you get a 2hr lunch??? Boy I don't even get an hour, I need to come and work down there, LOL.

Thanks again for filling us in :)

Robin :) :)

Pilgrim
03-20-2002, 12:53 PM
Fundis for those who cares.

http://www.countrymusic.asn.au/news/newspix/garth&gina.jpg

Brian

madam divine1
03-20-2002, 12:56 PM
First of all J, thanks so much for saving the toenails girl! I don't know if I really wanted to go there but I was on my way until I read your post.

Secondly Jen I'm so glad you had your "Garth-Moment" and (Trisha Moment as well) brief though it was.

It's sad to hear that such a talent is no longer with us! but a wonderful thing that folks in and out of the industry were able to pay tribute to him at the Ryman. I don't know a lot about him but I have heard some of his songs and I understand he was a great song-writer.

Also Jason, I thought the same thing you did about Garth not performing at the Ryman because he didn't feel worthy of it! of course we all know better!!!

Oh well! after work I guess I'm off to the manicurist again to see if she can repair the damage to these nails of mine! :D LOL!

Thanks again Jen!

Tina of WDC

:D:D:D

Rebslp
03-20-2002, 02:01 PM
He had his arm around her the whole show. It was cute he would clap and then he would put his arm back.

Kinda makes you feel warm & fuzzy all over! (me anyway)
:D

Jen19
03-20-2002, 02:18 PM
thanks Pilgrim for posting the pic that was definalty the guy sitting with them..

JEN

Jen19
03-20-2002, 02:20 PM
oh yeah forgot to add,I don't get a 2hr lunch break I just took it..I'm bad !!!

JEN

Crackers
03-20-2002, 02:28 PM
So.....Trishia had Garth on the left, Garth on the right. How weird is that?!?!?

JoAnn L.
03-20-2002, 02:41 PM
Trisha's producer I think he was sitting on the other side of Trisha, but I'm not sure who the guys was he had a beard. ??
JEN

Jen, was this bearded guy a smaller framed older man? It's possible it was Donny Lewis her manager??
JO

JoAnn L.
03-20-2002, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by Crackers
So.....Trishia had Garth on the left, Garth on the right. How weird is that?!?!?

Weird??? A dream come ture, a a a..............oh never mind.....anything but NOT weird. :-)

Crackers
03-20-2002, 03:05 PM
Okay.....a dream come true!

I don't even know any Garths, and Trishia is surrounded by them. NOT FAIR!!!

CheyenneWindRoper
03-20-2002, 03:17 PM
Ha ha ha haaaaa Judy! ;) My insurance agents name is Garth ~ does that count? :)

Huggs,
Mary Liz

Monica Lockhart
03-20-2002, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by Chris Gaines
it's safe to say Jen went to bed and forgot all about us...

that's what happens when ya live with the one you love.. LOL!

Jason

Jason,

You need to start going to bed earlier ;)

Jen posted her detailed story at 11:24 central time.. you posted the message above at 1:51 central time..

so ya missed it! Get some sleep man!

Moni

Crackers
03-20-2002, 03:28 PM
Can your insurance agent sing, Mary Liz???

Chris Gaines
03-20-2002, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by Monica Lockhart
Jason,

You need to start going to bed earlier ;)

Jen posted her detailed story at 11:24 central time.. you posted the message above at 1:51 central time..

so ya missed it! Get some sleep man!

Moni I was saying that was why it was so late ;)

LMAO!

Jason

countyfair_85
03-20-2002, 03:38 PM
Jen,

Thanks for all the details and more! :)

You didn't just bring us there with your words... you brought back something else to us also~ I don't remember ever hearing about Harlan Howard in my life time until now.

Sometimes I believe that things happen for a reason and this is one of those times. Maybe you were suppose to be there watching, so you can bring back this latest news about Garth and a great man he was paying his respects to.

Looking over all those wonderful songs... I realize, some of them I heard as a child on the radio or from the speakers of my brother's record player.

I also realized that the artist that performs the song seems to get most of the recognition, when the 'songwriter' that made the song happen hardly ever gets recognized.

In this case... you honored both Garth and Harlan in a wonderful way by sharing this story with us. Garth wants to be remembered as a songwriter also and he's always been proud to talk about the songwriters that wrote songs for his albums.

Harlan wrote about 'life' and so does Garth and I think that last song that Harlan wrote titled Sweet Jesus You've Come Through Again was an appropriate song to end his 'songwriting' career with.

Thanks again Jen!

-Diane

ProducerJ
03-20-2002, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by Chris Gaines
Nice to see Garth there.. but I always thought that when he said what he said was in "PERFORMING ON STAGE" cause he didn't feel worthy to be on that stage. Not really, as in.. won't go inside of it at all. Just my opinion :)
You want me to go to the videotape?
J.

Chris Gaines
03-20-2002, 03:57 PM
Yup!

lol
J

countyfair_85
03-20-2002, 04:02 PM
Jason,

Joyce is right... He referred to 'Not performing On The Stage'...
I remember an interview where he explained how much respect he had for that place and he called it the Mother Church.

He didn't mean he wouldn't go in the building at all...

-Diane

ProducerJ
03-20-2002, 04:09 PM
Grand Ole Opry 75th Birthday - October 2000
Backstage Press Conference.
Blue and Yellow Plaid Shirt - Black Hat

Garth: "I don't know if you know this, but I have never stepped a foot inside of Ryman, and I never will. It is a... it is just a real (puts hand on heart) holy place for me when it comes to country music and these people represent that for me. So I just want to do my best to kind of, hold up you know, what they have built."

J.

GBronx
03-20-2002, 04:16 PM
Jen, Thanks for sharing!!! I love it when a Nutt has a moment!!

JoAnn

Garth Brooks

countyfair_85
03-20-2002, 04:24 PM
Hummmmmmm!
I guess he changed his mind! :)
The right circumstance came along finally...

-Diane

Chris Gaines
03-20-2002, 04:35 PM
and still is "holy" as it house a memorial tribute to someone close that was lost in the music industry. Makes sense to me. (Still never stepped a foot on the stage)

Jason

Jen19
03-20-2002, 05:12 PM
well, he kinda did step foot on stage, he was backstage waiting for Trisha to finish singing. And you could see him through an opening in the curtines, so if they consider that part of the stage then his foot was on it...LOL

You know people change there mind when things happen, maybe he decided that he had to get over it for Harlan. So that is what I think.

Diane- thanks for all you kind words (somepeople might say I'm crazy for going to a tribute show of someone I never knew but thanks for telling me it was ok) since I really enjoyed the show and learned alot.

And yes that song was very approite, tonight if I have time I will scan the program, it had the lyric to that song and on the other side Harlans famous quote "He wrights the words,I just hold the pen" HH

JEN

PJ
03-20-2002, 05:13 PM
Garth had also said in the past that he can't stand in the circle on the current Opry stage that came from the Ryman stage, but I have the pictures to prove he has done just that.

countyfair_85
03-20-2002, 06:34 PM
Jen,

Thanks for sharing about Harlan's famous quote...

'He writes the words, I just hold the pen'

I know what he means, and where some of his lyrics came from...
after all, many have held a pen that 'He' writes with.
I'm talking about someone greater than Harlan...
the one that held his pen.

God Bless Harlan and his family also...
'He sailed his 'vessel' 'til his river ran dry'...
certainly he has met that Author now in heaven.

-Diane

Paula
03-20-2002, 07:48 PM
Jen, thanks for all the details. I'm glad you didn't keep us hanging on any longer and posted before you went to bed.

It sounded like a wonderful tribute to a great songwriter.

Jason, Jason, Jason, you do so much backpedaling it cracks me up. It's okay to admit when you're wrong you know. None of us are perfect.;)

Paula

Diamond7s
03-20-2002, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by ProducerJ
Let's roll the videotape! Grand Ole Opry 75th Birthday - October 2000

J.

Ok, kind of off topic, but I have just have to say I am very impressed with your video organization Joyce! I decided this past weekend to try an label my Garth tapes....i'm done with 8 of 50+ tapes, LOL, somehow I think it would have been easier to label them as I recorded the shows.

Michelle

wmcinnis
03-20-2002, 08:40 PM
Thanks Jen for sharing this with us:)
I'm so happy for you that you got to see Garth:)
-Susan-

Gß-fÄÑ
03-20-2002, 08:49 PM
Michelle, you sound like me with my vhs tapes. I wish I had of labled them better. My labeling was Garth 1, Garth 2, 3 etc... full, more space left. lol At least I know 1 was a longggggg time ago. Would have had to have a little book to keep up with things cause back then Crook & Chase on TNN would have lots of 10 or 15 minutes segments, so it might would be impossible on some of them.

Jen!! Thank you lady for having the guts to post all of it. You could have said you saw him there and not told us what ALL you saw. I'm glad you posted all of it, no ones going to be mad with you, or I don't see why they would. We knew they were hanging around a lot. Well, she got him to the Ryman, maybeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee she'll get him back into music more when he has gotten to the place he needs to be with his kids, a good balance that is.
It's still cute like you said, him having his arm around her, clapping and putting it back. Thoughts of my teenage years come back... :) Just got to be touching to be warm and cozy.
Glad you had a great time, wish we all could have been there for Howard, he was truly a wonderful man.
Tricia

amd-b
03-20-2002, 08:53 PM
Jen,
I was too impatient and had to sign off last night. Thank you for the post it was a great way to start off my forum reading tonight! I too am glad that he looks happy. That is all that matters.
I hope that he will come to Northern CA so there can be a Garth moment here some day!
Alexa

wizard2C
03-20-2002, 10:20 PM
Hi!

Hey....I'm smiling too! Garth happy at last.....that's great. :)
That's the way to go, Garth! We know.
Thanks for the posting.

carol
wizard2c
"I Shall Save The World!"
"Dance!Sing!Fun!2003!"

fuzzwuzz
03-20-2002, 10:51 PM
in today's Nashville citypaper
By Colleen Creamer

The “dean” of Music City was honored Tuesday at the Ryman Auditorium — the mother church of country music —with a star-studded Nashville send off. Harlan Howard, one of the most prolific writers of country music hits of all time, died March 3 at the age of 74 after a phenomenal career. The passing of Howard was the third in a series of recent losses for country music after the deaths of Chet Atkins and Waylon Jennings.

Even in the rain, music legends came to sing Howard’s songs because Harlan Howard’s songs drove many of their careers. Before the artists began their tribute - which included performances by Trisha Yearwood, Pam Tillis, The Judds,, Michael McDonald, Patty Loveless, Jim Lauderdale, Mandy Barnett, Emmylou Harris and Nanci Griffith -Nashville torch singer Jonell Mosser carved out an almost bluesy rendition of Ave Maria. Shortly thereafter, Howard’s daughter, strung together some of his song titles in a farewell poem so moving she barely kept her composure.

“I hope you’re having a blast with Waylon and Chet,” she said at the end.

But it was Howard’s enthusiasm for life, fueled by passion and excess, that seemed to be on everyone’s mind. Mosser would say in a videotaped montage, “Harlan could drink more than any human being I have even known,” she said. Later she added that he “was a Professor Emeritus of life.”

It was a sentiment that seemed to be shared by much of the audience. But if Howard’s love for liquor was legend, more so was his passion for his family, his love of romance and his love for his fellow human beings. Some would talk of his “graceful, gentle heart” and others recounted stories so wry the audience laughed out loud and often.

Vince Gill said Howard’s talent was “proof in the diversity of the artists that cut his songs.” Howard was able to successfully cross genres. Ray Charles’ country/blues version of “Busted” won a Grammy. Burl Ives recorded his songs as did pop icon k.d lang and folk artist Nanci Griffith. But it was Howard’s constant stream of hits stylized by the likes of Jennings, Patsy Cline, Mel Tillis, Hank Williams, Jr., the Judds and Porter Waggoner and Dolly Parton that ultimately earned him an induction into the Country Music Hall of Fame.

Nearly all sang the songs that helped launch their country careers. Griffith came to sing as did Michael McDonald who filled Ray Charles’ shoes with a thick version of “Busted.” Nearly everyone looked heavenward at the end and said, “I love you, Harlan.”

Harlan Howard leaves behind his wife, Melanie Smith Howard; children Harlan Perry Howard Jr., Clementyne Rucker Howard, Carter “Corky” Howard, Jennifer Carmellla; one grandchild and many, many friends.

Garthfan92
03-20-2002, 11:11 PM
HAD to get on at work to find out what happened, but finally had a chance to post. That's great, Jen! Thanks for filling us and, and glad to hear Garth seemed so happy. You are just so lucky!

Lisa

fuzzwuzz
03-20-2002, 11:18 PM
Is Harland the author of those words? If so, I have a book by the same title with a section on Harland as a Nashville songwriter.

Here's a few things it says about Harland:
As Harland sat drinking, the freeways were jammed with thousands of fans heading back home. They had a memorable week at Fan Fair '96. Some of them had been there when Garth had arrived Tuesday morning. By standing there all those hours, Garth had sanctified the covenant between a country artist and his fans. The fans were leaving with his autograph and memories of their moment with Garth that they would tell their friends, children, and grandchildren about...The fans were going away happy, but as Harlan knew, Nashville wasn't about T-shirts and autographs. It was about songs. That was Nashville's gift to the world. He still heard great songs at Douglas Corner, the Bluebird, and a score of other places where the songwriters sang, but most of these songs never got out.
Harlan hated much of what he heard on country radio. It wasn't music for a person like him, not anymore.. Country radio wasn't much into cheating and drinking songs, another staple of country honky-tonk, and Harlan's repertoire.
Harlan hated all this, raging at the betrayal of what his music had become. In hating it, he saw nothing but opportunity. He had been there before. He knew the worse it got, the better it was going to be.
They would come back to him and to his true colleagues, because they would come back to life. They would come back because human beings didn't change. Harlan knew that for the people he wrote for love was the great diversion and obsession of their lives. They looked for love when they were young. Often they thought they had found it, but it was usually fool's gold. More than anything, they wanted to love one person, and to have that person love them in return. It didn't happen most of the time, and when it turned out wrong or weak or untrue, people thought about what might have been, about loves passed by or spurned. That was his great theme, and he would write it until he died.Oh wow! I look at that and I see it so clear that Garth was meant to be there at that service, with Trisha, and for the music. Awesome!!!

countyfair_85
03-20-2002, 11:19 PM
tonight if I have time I will scan the program, it had the lyric to that song and on the other side Harlans famous quote "He wrights the words,I just hold the pen" HH

JEN

Jen,

I'd love to read the lyrics to that song from the program!
Thanks for offering to scan the program so we can see it too! :)

-Diane

fuzzwuzz
03-20-2002, 11:43 PM
THREE CHORDS and the TRUTH, Hope, Heartbreak, and Changing Fortunes in Nashville, by Lawrence Leamer. publisher: HarperCollins

This book kinda also upset me, as it says some not too glamorous things about not only Garth but the music business itself. And there in I think the problem lies, with the business side taking over. But I wonder, does anyone know the full quote of the title of this book? And what does it mean? I saw it somewhere online recently, but I can't say I know any of Harlan's songs, or do I, being so new to country music myself?

fuzzwuzz
03-20-2002, 11:44 PM
Trisha Yearwood will film another episode of the CBS series Jag in the coming weeks. She'll reprise her role as Lt. Cmdr. Teresa Coulter. Look for it to air during the May sweeps period. Meanwhile, Trisha will perform on PBS' Austin City Limits on Saturday. Alison Krauss shares the bill.

gbcrazy
03-20-2002, 11:51 PM
Hey Jen!

What an exciting yet sad lunch for you!! Glad you got to see Garth, just wish it wasn't under such sad circumstances!

Terry

Jen19
03-21-2002, 12:14 AM
this is the frount and the back of the handout given yesterday.

JEN

Jen19
03-21-2002, 12:16 AM
this is the inside of it...

JEN

Jen19
03-21-2002, 12:18 AM
Terry acuttly it wasn't sad, yes he did pass away but this was a celabration of his life, and all his amazing accomishments. Most of the show had the crowd lauphing and clapping and just jamming to his music. now that is how I want to be remembered :)

JEN

ProducerJ
03-21-2002, 12:33 AM
Ohhhhhh Dale - that is a very good book. It really paints a very realistic, non sugar coated picture of the music industry. I was about 3/4 of the way through it when we started our remodeling project - I need to get it out and finish it, thanks for the reminder!

As for my tape organization... the ONLY tape I have labeled worth a darn is a VHS that I have dubbed the Opry PC, the Retirement PC, and the 100 Million party footage onto. Everything else is stacks of dv footage with NO organization. LOL.

(And as bad as I am with my pro footage, my home footage is even worse, and don't EVEN think about the stacks of pictures! yikes.)

Jen thanks for scanning the program, it is lovely.
J.

andie
03-21-2002, 12:35 AM
Thanks Jen ,for your encounter !!!!! You really got lucky!!!! I bet you almost jumped up and down when you spotted Garth !!!! You went to see Trisha and got Garth too !!!! I'm glad that they seemed happy!!!! I wish for them all the best!!!! Thanks again!!!!!

RckyMtnGirl@hrt
03-21-2002, 12:35 AM
!!!!:D(((JEN))):D!!!!

GOD BLESS HARLAN HOWARD

CC

boppityboo
03-21-2002, 01:25 AM
Wow, Jen, how very :cool: Thanks a Garthzillion for sharing your Garthmoment with us. Why am I no longer surprised that Garth and Trisha are showing up everywhere together? :) I think it's great that they are comfortable with being seen together in public. Thanks again Jen. :)

Ellie

allisonv7
03-21-2002, 01:32 AM
Trisha Yearwood will film another episode of the CBS series Jag in the coming weeks. She'll reprise her role as Lt. Cmdr. Teresa Coulter. Look for it to air during the May sweeps period. Meanwhile, Trisha will perform on PBS' Austin City Limits on Saturday. Alison Krauss shares the bill.

I just have to add my seven cents here....JAG IS THE BEST SHOW EVER!!!

Tape Organization -- That was going to be my spring break project, it's going to have to wait till summer break though, I have two dresser drawers of Garth tapes, I'm never going to finish :(....that may not be a bad thing though, I could watch Garth all day !!

Let's roll the videotape! Grand Ole Opry 75th Birthday - October 2000

I love that shirt!!

allison.

fuzzwuzz
03-21-2002, 02:05 AM
Joyce! What's funny is, or NOT so funny actually, is that the person who sent me the book was gonna toss it overboard in anger, but when she was about to try she fell and broke her ankle at the dock! After she met me she's glad fate saved the book from 'drowning' needlessly. (My words, not hers.)She pointed out to me Michael Nesmith of the Monkees fame is in there. Would you know he is the one who took Linda Hardgrove under his wing when she was just about starving. He got her back on her feet musically. And I now know he also did the same for many other acting careers with his television video shows he experimented with, some now affliated with Garth or country music, like Whoopi Goldberg, Jay Leno, and Dwight Yoakam. And some now big named movie stars I don't know but have heard their names before. My husband told me recently Dwight and Jay went to entertain the troops together recently. How cool is that? Michael was known for helping many fledging artists and didn't hesitate to give good parts to those others would bypass as nobodies in the business. And I heard it more than a few times, he never did enertainment for the money, but only so his dream could grow and become a reality. He did get big bucks for the idea of MTV, but he sadly let it go because he didn't have enough influence contol to get it off the ground by himself.

Anyway Joyce, I really would like to discuss some of the things [i]Three Chords and the Truth[/] brings to light about Music Row and country music. I still have so much to learn, and need help from someone like you to really understand what it is I'm looking at. Feel free to post your thoughts to me on a new topic after you finish the book. I would really appreciate it. I figure I was meant to have this book for a reason after what my friend went through in trying to get rid of it. Lol!

Teaser210
03-21-2002, 02:11 AM
I was just watching some tapes in hopes of labelling them and I found last fall's CMA awards tape...(for some reason it's after a West Wing episode, yikes! I almost recycled it) Anyway, Trisha sang Harlan's "Melancholy Blue" at the 2001 CMA awards show. Must've been a thrill for Harlan to hear it.

Paula
03-21-2002, 08:44 AM
Jen, thanks for the scan of the program.:)
As for my tape organization... the ONLY tape I have labeled worth a darn is a VHS that I have dubbed the Opry PC, the Retirement PC, and the 100 Million party footage onto. Everything else is stacks of dv footage with NO organization. LOL.

(And as bad as I am with my pro footage, my home footage is even worse, and don't EVEN think about the stacks of pictures! yikes.)Joyce, you sound like me!:o Except for the tapes others have sent me (thank you for the million party footage and thank you PJ for so many others) and labeled, I have SO many unlabeled tapes.:o

Paula

gbcrazy
03-21-2002, 10:05 AM
Terry acuttly it wasn't sad, yes he did pass away but this was a celabration of his life, and all his amazing accomishments. Most of the show had the crowd lauphing and clapping and just jamming to his music. now that is how I want to be remembered :)

JEN

Well then Congrats on such a exciting lunch! I agree I hope I can be remembered that way. Harlan Howard deserved to have his life celebrated with all that he contributed. That really says something about someone when even after your gone you are still bringing laughter and smiles to those who knew you and even some who didn't!!

Terry

GBronx
03-21-2002, 01:42 PM
Thanks again Jen, for taking time to share the program with us.

Tony Arata
I wouldn't have it any other way!!!
Garth Brooks