PDA

View Full Version : keith urban to host weekly CMT series!

BigGfan4life
03-21-2002, 07:15 AM
CMT Welcomes Landmark Music Variety Series The Glen Campbell Goodtime Hour in April
Country Sensation Keith Urban to Host Weekly Series, April 2 Premiere Episodes Stars Johnny Cash, Merle Haggard and Buck Owens

Great performances from the landmark music variety series The Glen Campbell Goodtime Hour return as CMT opens the door every Tuesday beginning April 2 at 10 p.m. ET/PT to welcome timeless performances by Johnny Cash, Ray Charles, Stevie Wonder, Cher, Willie Nelson, Linda Ronstadt, Merle Haggard, Neil Diamond and more. Hot country star Keith Urban, influenced by Campbell's music as a young boy growing up in Australia, will host the CMT weekly series.

All I can say is...keith EVERY week? Christmas must have come 9 months early :D

DixieChick4GB
03-21-2002, 12:55 PM
Keith is nice eye candy, has a nice accent, and oh, did I forget to mention, an excellent artist. It will be good to see him regularly.
Thanks for sharing, Shannon.

Elaine

fuzzwuzz
04-02-2002, 12:01 AM
You'll be seeing more than just keith! The Glen Campbell Goodtime Hour is a very good show. Wish I could get CMT!! Please update us on what keith says about it. I also have a thread here with lots more info from a Monkees newsmailing. keith grew up watching the show in Australia. It's part of his childhood like it is mine.

fuzzwuzz
04-05-2002, 12:58 AM
I would like to add the rest of that info so everyone can see there's so much more to get excited about!

"I'm really excited about CMT showing The Goodtime Hour. I think it will be a treat for this generation to see all of my great guests when they were young," Campbell says. "It was a real privilege for me to work with so many superstars. I am delighted that CMT will show off these star talents once again."

"Our renewed interest in Glen began with the outstanding ratings performance of his episode of CMT Inside Fame. While making that show, we all realized how much fun it was to see highlights from those Goodtime Hour shows again," says Brian Philips, senior vice president/general manager, CMT. "Glen was at the absolute epicenter of the American show business and pop culture. Every big star -- music, movie, TV -- played the show. Glen also introduced America to many of the best of a new generation of comedy writers."

"Hi, I'm Glen Campbell" became synonymous with entertainment in 1969-1972 as the country sensation and accomplished musician opened each installment of The Glen Campbell Goodtime Hour bringing musical greats from all genres into American homes. Campbell used his connections as an elite session guitar player on the West Coast to bring top talent to the show. As a player, Campbell has worked with the true icons in music -- Frank Sinatra, Elvis, Dean Martin, the Mamas and the Papas and even had a tour of duty as part of the Beach Boys.

On Tuesday, April 2 at 10 p.m. ET/PT, CMT's premiere episode of The Glen Campbell Goodtime Hour will star country music legends Cash, Haggard, Buck Owens, Minnie Pearl and Mel Tillis. Other stars featured in April include Wonder, Roger Miller, Waylon Jennings, Liza Minnelli, the Righteous Brothers, Kenny Rogers and the First Edition, Haggard and Leslie Uggams.

"CMT's plans for Glen extend beyond just re-airing these great old shows. As anyone who has seen any of his recent TV appearances will attest, Glen continues to give great performances," says CMT's Philips. "You'll be seeing a lot of him on CMT and other high-profile appearances this year."

Campbell learned to play guitar at the age of 4 and went on to become one of the most sought after session guitarists and harmony vocalists in Los Angeles and is best known for a string of hits in the 1960s and 70s including "Gentle on My Mind," "Wichita Lineman," "By the Time I Get to Phoenix," "Galveston," "Southern Nights" and "Rhinestone Cowboy." Campbell made music history in 1967 winning top honors at the Grammy Awards in both the country and pop categories --"Gentle on My Mind" (country category) and "Wichita Lineman" (pop category). The multi-faceted entertainer appeared in the feature films, Norwood and True Grit with John Wayne, who presented Campbell with the 1975 American Music Award for Rhinestone Cowboy.

The Glen Campbell Goodtime Hour was created for Campbell due to the wildly popular summer replacement show he hosted in 1968 for The Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour and featured comedian Pat Paulsen and country artists Jerry Reed, Mel Tillis and John Hartford as regulars. The Hartford-penned 1967 Campbell hit, "Gentle on My Mind," provided the theme music. The Glen Campbell Goodtime Hour premiered on CBS Jan. 29, 1969, and ran to June 1972.

fuzzwuzz
04-07-2003, 09:15 PM
Now that I can get CMT can anybody tell me if this series is still running?

GBsgirl
04-07-2003, 10:49 PM
Glen Campbells was the first fan club I ever joined. I can still remember the kit coming in the mail. I think I was 9 or 10.

Pammy
PROUD AIR FORCE WIFE

ProducerJ
04-07-2003, 10:57 PM
I'm not sure Dale, but they do have their full programming schedule at CMT.com you can search.

Congrats on getting CMT!
J.