PDA

View Full Version : Carter blames Garth for lack of support from Capitol

Darrell
01-25-2002, 07:38 PM
Here's the article's link http://www.nashvillescene.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?story=This_Week:News:Cover_Story

Here's a snippet for those who are interested. By the way it's nice to be back. I like coming around now and then but these darn pop up ads are ridiculous. That's the main reason for my reduction in posts. Oh well that's another subject. Here's the snippet from the article.....

There was great anticipation for Carter's sophomore release, but before the album had been completed, Capitol became entrenched in internal conflict. Labelmate Garth Brooks was at war with Scott Hendricks, and he refused to turn in his new album until Hendricks was gone. In 1998, Brooks got his wish, and Hendricks was replaced with Pat Quigley, a Northerner who knew little about country music but a great deal about marketing beer and skis. "I think Pat is a funny guy and a big kid," Carter says. "I just don't think he should've been in the music business. He was all about marketing, marketing, marketing; but there's music involved, and artistry and vision."

Apparently not a priority at the Capitol, Carter's follow-up, Everything's Gonna Be Alright, was delayed several times as tension grew between the singer and her label. Carter believes that Capitol never fully backed the album and didn't market it as well as her debut release. Though it did end up getting certified gold, she wasn't able to repeat her past radio successes, and the album ultimately didn't do nearly as well as the label had anticipated.

The bottom line? Carter felt that Garth Brooks was running the label. "I don't think I was the only one either," she says. "I think the staff felt that pressure as well." In 1998, she received several calls from people in the radio industry who said that Capitol had sacrificed her single, "Absence of the Heart," so that Brooks' single at the time would get more spins and go to No. 1. "[They] basically said, 'This is going down, and we want you to know about it and we don't want you to take it personally, because we appreciate you.' " "Absence of the Heart" peaked at No. 16, and the follow-up, "Angels Working Overtime," reached No. 35.

To this day, Carter believes that Brooks' interference at Capitol had a direct and negative effect on her own career. "I've had a few conversations with Garth, but they never made me sleep better at night. I wouldn't say that he intentionally hurt my career, but he didn't help my career at all."

At the time, Carter met with Quigley and pointed out that she should be given some respect, since she had brought more than $40 million to Capitol. "That was during the Chris Gaines era, so obviously people weren't thinking very clearly," she says sardonically. "Reality wasn't part of the landscape. This is not a conversation I'm having about jealousy between artists. Manipulation can happen in a lot of different ways. I just feel like that was going on because he was selling the most records."

gbcrazy
01-25-2002, 08:46 PM
They sacrificed her single for Garths? Hello if they did anything they were probably trying to help her considering how well Garth does. I mean lets see Scarecrow was released in November and was the biggest selling "non soundtrack" album of the year!!

I find it appalling that people make excuses for what they consider failure. Hello she brought 40 million dollars to capitol and Garth has brought how much? Who would you pay attention to.

Okay I will shut up now. Before i comment on her more recent adventures.

Terry

PJ
01-25-2002, 09:11 PM
Tanya Tucker made similar claims against Capitol a few years ago.

Teach
01-25-2002, 09:38 PM
It is always so easy to blame someone else when you cannot cut it. I suppose her divorce is GB's fault as well. Give me a break. Well they all got what they wanted. GB is gone.:( Who will get the blame now????????????

Garthfan92
01-25-2002, 09:54 PM
If a label has someone as big as Garth on their roster, that's who they're going to put their time and money into. It's smart business, not Garth's responsibility. I think Garth should have just started his own label, and then no one could complain. LOL

Lisa

Snow
01-25-2002, 10:10 PM
I never thought that Capitol-Nashville was very proactive in the way that they developed and promoted new talent. They did tend to put too many eggs in too few baskets. Never a smart move in any business.

BUT...............

Heck... I thought they were sort of backward in even the way that they sometimes guided Garth's records as well. They would run hot and cold.

It often seemed that they more want to CONTROL their artists more than ensuring their success. Garth was one that slipped beyond their grasp at control and sometimes it seemed that there was a tug of war going on.

I think that maybe if they played less at power struggles and more at putting out the best and promoting it, things would have been better all around.

As for Carter...... well, she was fair.... though I'm not sure she would have done much better anywhere else. If has "IT" then this isn't nor shouldn't stop her. Look at Jo Messina. If that woman can battle back... anyone can. You don't hear her whining. Carter just comes across a little whimpy to me.... always did. The songs were nice but fluffy.

Should she blame any of this on Garth?

I don't think so. Instead she should study Garth and see how he has handled his own career. He would be a great model of how to not let the suits run roughshod over your career just so they can win a pissing contest.

boppityboo
01-25-2002, 10:44 PM
Teach, they'll probably still blame Garth for everything. They will say that since he retired, fans aren't interested in country music anymore, that's why sales are down, or something like that. Poor Garth, damned if he does and damned if he doesn't. :eek:

As for Deana Carter, I liked a couple of her songs. But it sounds like sour grapes to me.

I wouldn't say that he intentionally hurt my career, but he didn't help my career at all.

PULEAAASE! I understand what she means by this, but come on. In my opinion, why should Garth help her career? Garth has helped other artists, sure, that's the kind of guy he is. But he also DIDN'T helped out a whole bunch of others, who are not whining. He did say once that he wished he had heard 'Strawberry Wine' first. So what's she got to complain about. I think he even complimented her on it.

Ellie :)

majmom
01-26-2002, 07:40 AM
Frankly I don't think Capitol helped Garth out all that much - GARTH helped out GARTH by being smart enough to get the control he wanted over his music - most other artists didn't have that level of control and were at the mercy of their labels...

Sheesh - Garth could save a baby from a burning building and there would be critics...

I can see the headlines now...

"GB asaves baby from burning building - it was obviously a move to boost the "poor" (translate: several MILLION!) sales of ITLOCG"

*sigh*

Kerry

gbkubfan
01-26-2002, 02:57 PM
Boppityboo wrote

they'll probably still blame Garth for everything. They will say that since he retired, fans aren't interested in country music anymore, that's why sales are down, or something like that. Poor Garth, damned if he does and damned if he doesn't.
<<<<<<<<<<<

The flipside will be if country gets hot its because Garth "retired"...I totally agree with you. He's in a danm if he doesit......I think the thing that will show Garth's strength and popualrity is if the core fans that have supported him once they have discovred him be it from 1989 or 2002, keep buying the music. As long as everyone buys the music, show he is still selling, Captial and the country music business will see that Garth has been the man. The music business is so into sales. I admit Garth is a numbers man but he does back up his search for numbers with good music. Songs he released 8 years go, 10 years ago or last week sound timely. I have a friend who is recently here from Japan, going to school to get his MA. I found out he likes country music but (hold your hearts) he doesn't own a Garth CD...LOL...Guess I will have to jump start his collection. :-)...

gbkubfan
01-26-2002, 03:02 PM
One more thing I forgot to mention...When Deena released her second CD, I had to buy two copies. I wanted to have a copy of the Glow in the Dark one plus a regular one. I wonder how she got the idea???

On the other hand, I think it would have been cool for Garth to release a glow int he dark cd...Hmmmmmmmmm Can you imagine buying enough copies to make a glow in the dark G on the wall....LOL

Garth_FANtasizer
01-26-2002, 03:16 PM
Oh Brother! I think Deana should get a TUI (talking under the influence) to go along with her DUI!

Let me just point out the fact that this article was printed in the Garth bashing trash Nashville Scene, and it was written by the Garth bashing Bimbo Beverly Keel. She is the one who made her snide remarks on the Charlie Rose Show that Garth was on. :rolleyes:

I have no use for her or the publication she writes for. As for Ms. Carter... well, she no doubt gave them what they were looking for and it got her name in print. Nuff said!

As for talent.. Cyndi Thompson has a better belly button! Neither one of them can sing IMO. Capitol is capitalizing on the right one. I wonder if they put a red light out in front of the Capitol-Nashville building yet?

~Ann~

allisonv7
01-26-2002, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by gbkubfan
Can you imagine buying enough copies to make a glow in the dark G on the wall....LOL

Oh wow, that would be awesome!!

allison.

MtnGirlCrazy4Garth
01-26-2002, 05:46 PM
As for talent.. Cyndi Thompson has a better belly button! Neither one of them can sing IMO. Capitol is capitalizing on the right one. I wonder if they put a red light out in front of the Capitol-Nashville building yet?

Oh, Ann, you are baaaaaaad, girl, really bad! :o But I love it! :)

Why do I get the feeling, these days, that every thread I get involved with is, eventually, gonna just up and go *poof*? Hmmm... ;) I guess I've been in a very 'controversy prone' mood or something, I dunno.

I turned 38 last month, me thinks I'm gettin' a bit sassy in my old age! ;)

diem nash
01-26-2002, 08:16 PM
Those words came into my mind, when I read the article.
Well, I donīt know everything about it and itīs an article. So I ask: Who said what?!
However! Thereīve always been people, who couldnīt handle, that Garth is sooo successful and even so very popular & beloved. We all know the reasons, why!!! I donīt need to repeat it.
Itīs more then just singing a bit around. Itīs a hard job and even Garth made experiences and grew. His voice and the man himself is a very special gift. And Capitol realised that. And sure you push the best horse in the stable like we say. Garth was money for them. Capitol knew that and maybe they let that woman fall, because they concentrated for him. But whatīs wrong with that?! It was not Garth!
And why he didnīt care about her and helped her?! Well, he had to do enough and NOBODY can safe and care for the whole world - Even not Garth!

Another fact is, that there are a lot (Too much!!!) people out, which blame Garth for everything. Iīm sure, they would blame him for the bad weather or whatever, if they could! Jealousy & grudge! There it is again! Those people canīt just be happy for him. They are such poor souls! Their hearts are cold! But Garthīs heart will never be! He knows, that there are a lot of people out, which really care for him and which are happy in their true hearts for every success and happiness he has.
And you are right! Garth could safe a baby... It wouldnīt be good enough.
But for us - his friends outthere - he is just Garth. He donīt need to be a Super-Hero! We love the man for being himself and for his humanity! Thatīs, what counts! And Iīm sooo very happy, that he knows that!
And we are his wall. Nobody can really hurt him, because he looks into our eyes and hearts and knows, that he did nothing wrong!
Itīs a good feeling - for him and for us!

Madeleine (Leaving with a smile!) :D

no1cowgirl
01-27-2002, 12:18 AM
*Sigh* Oh how, oh how do you address something like this?

Well, first of all, I believe that Deana does have talent. I really enjoy the uniqueness in her voice and sound and enjoy both of her albums.

Second, I also believe she does point out some very valuable points. However, I don't believe it was completely Garth's fault. I love Garth and his music (I don't think anyone here would doubt that), but the man is human, and he makes mistakes. I understand how Deana could feel that way being in the situation she is.

I also believe that this may have more to do with Capitol Nashville as a company than Garth. (a.k.a. If the fault is on "Garth's" side, then I would suspect it had more to do CN--problems with the company and lack of structure/management, etc.)

But because I will never know the full story because I was not there, I'm not going to pass judgement because that's not what I'm here for. Both are very valuable musicians and I appreciate what they do.

I take it with a grain of salt. And remember, guys...

There's always "his" story, "her" story, and the TRUTH.

("his" and "her" being relative--not necessarily pertaining to anyone specifically)

Krista

Darrell
01-27-2002, 01:36 AM
Originally posted by majmom
Sheesh - Garth could save a baby from a burning building and there would be critics...

I can see the headlines now...

"GB asaves baby from burning building - it was obviously a move to boost the "poor" (translate: several MILLION!) sales of ITLOCG"

*sigh*

Kerry

He's already done that remember. Two boys if I'm not mistaken :)

Journey
01-27-2002, 01:02 PM
Not only was she arrested for druken driving in Nashville in December, she was arrested for stealing a motor home and busted for drugs here in New Mexico somtime around Septmeber or October.
In the article, it mentioned headlines that made it across the nation and into Mexico????????????? HELLO!!! NEW Mexico is not in Mexico, we are actually a state between Texas and Arizona. Crazy at how many people do not realize that NEW MEXICO is in the US. :)
Anyway---- She was arrested in Santa Fe, New Mexico, it appears that she and a friend rented an RV and just forgot to return it.

Poor Garth, he will be blamed from now on for the fall of many careers to come and go but one thing we all know is what he has done for the WORLD in country and pop music.

Journey

MCsqaared
01-27-2002, 05:47 PM
Well, this could be my first "real" post. I think the others may have simply been all the screen captures I posted a while back. But I wanted to say a couple things.

First, I suppose I should thank Darrell for posting the article. Despite the flurry of negative responses it got, as I haven't heard from Deana in a while, and I appreciate the update.

I think it's important to see beyond Garth's name and recognize that Deana has problems with the record company. Capitol. She's had these problems for years, none of this is new information. A few years ago a group of artists including Deana and Tanya Tucker joined together to fight Capitol because they believed they were getting unequal treatment. Yes, to Garth Brooks, but they weren't fighting Garth, they were fighting Capitol.

This is a problem with many record companies. I happen to be a fan of Sophie B. Hawkins (another lovely blonde who likes to perform barefoot). She had a very similar problem with Sony/Columbia Records. They were putting most of their marketing attention into big artists such as Mariah Carey, and in doing so, they failed to properly promote Ms. Hawkins' latest CD, which did very poorly on the markets.

Anyway, I highly doubt Deana Carter sat down with this reporter, and in the midst of dwelling on the bad year she's had with the divorce and other things (I think it's a really low blow for people to use the recent DUI against her so casually. People make mistakes, it doesn't make them raging alcoholics or anything.) she just started ranting about Garth Brooks. There are constant pieces of information that will almost always be called upon for interviews, especially when the person being interviewed is out of the spotlight a lot of the time. The fact that Deana had amazing success with her first CD and much lower success with her second CD is a fact that will be continued to be brought up by interviewers. The related fact that Deana joined her labelmates in fighting her label is another fact that will continue to be brought up.

So the information is brought up. Someone said that the reporter didn't like Garth. I don't know anything about the reporter, but if this is true, then maybe she directly brought up Garth, and if you're given a direct question, it's expected that you give a direct answer. Or perhaps Garth was part of her explaination, and the reporter picked up on it and put greater emphasis on it. I don't know. No one knows this except Deana and the reporter. It isn't fair that anyone jump to conclusions and say that Deana Carter BLAMED Garth Brooks for Everything's Going to Be Alright faltering on the markets.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Garth did force Capitol's hand in the Scott Hendricks matter. I believe this is a fact. It's not anything against Garth, and no one (Deana included) is suggesting he did it to hurt any other atrist. But some (again, Deana included) feel that the change that came about because of this action ultimately did hurt other artists. Hey, that's the way of the business. The ones who have the most... The artists who bring in the most... also gain more power. And it's only natural that they use that power to help their own careers. So that's what Garth did. I don't think anyone blames him for that. Deana said herself that she didn't believe Garth intentionally hurt anyone. She simply said a change Garth had had a hand in had resulted in less than satisfactory promotion for her CD.

That article, the full one, was not some bitter woman ranting about Garth Brooks, it was a long story of a beautiful woman who has always been active in helping others and doing good things. About the good times she's had, and the more recent bad times she's been facing. It's good to know that despite the difficulties in her life, she's preparing to move on to better things.

On a side note:

Originally posted by gbkubfan
One more thing I forgot to mention...When Deena released her second CD, I had to buy two copies. I wanted to have a copy of the Glow in the Dark one plus a regular one. I wonder how she got the idea???

:) Probably the Capitol marketing department, which I'm sure is also responsible for Garth's limited edition CD covers :) Actually, I believe Deana did request *some* novel feature on First Edition CDs after the holographic First Editions of Did I Shave My Legs For This? (Which are very cool :)) She was very excited about the Glow in the Dark feature for the second CD when she talked about it on Gary Chapman's show.

On a total tangent, thinking about the different editions of the same CD made me think about how biases work. Fans v. the Rest of the World. #1 When an artist releases a special edition of a CD, fans often think it's a gift to show appreciation to the fans who are into going out and getting their CDs on that special Tuesday. The rest of the world sees it as a marketing ploy to get more money and get certified quicker and higher. #2 When an artist, meaning Garth, bundles a Double Live CD as one CD, selling it for regular price, fans think it's a generous, unselfish gesture. The rest of the world sees it as a marketing ploy to get more people to buy a 2-CD set who wouldn't otherwise be willing to pay twice the cost. #3 When an artist, meaning Garth, goes on tour and recognizes that he has more money than he'll ever need and thus sets his ticket prices at an incredibly low price (was is $18?), the fans are again overwhelmed by said artist's generousity and humility. The rest of the world again sees it as a ploy to sell out as many venues as possible PLUS look like "the good guy."

So who's right? Who's wrong? Is there a right or a wrong?

Biases work in funny ways.

~Amber

Darrell
01-27-2002, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by Journey
Not only was she arrested for druken driving in Nashville in December, she was arrested for stealing a motor home and busted for drugs here in New Mexico somtime around Septmeber or October.
In the article, it mentioned headlines that made it across the nation and into Mexico????????????? HELLO!!! NEW Mexico is not in Mexico, we are actually a state between Texas and Arizona. Crazy at how many people do not realize that NEW MEXICO is in the US. :)
Anyway---- She was arrested in Santa Fe, New Mexico, it appears that she and a friend rented an RV and just forgot to return it.

Poor Garth, he will be blamed from now on for the fall of many careers to come and go but one thing we all know is what he has done for the WORLD in country and pop music.

Journey

I believe the "Carter" you are talking about being busted for drugs is Carlene Carter not Deanna. Just wanted to clear that up :)

ProducerJ
01-27-2002, 11:49 PM
Hey Amber!

You, young lady, are going to be expected to post around here more often! I enjoyed reading your viewpoint, and you were right on about the Scott Hendricks thing.

Darrell, thanks for clearing my confused brain about the Carters... I was sitting here thinking "How did I miss Deanna getting arrested in New Mexico!" LOL. Easy mistake to make.

J.

ProducerJ
01-27-2002, 11:55 PM
Oh one more thing Journey... isn't is possible that the arrest of Carlene Carter and her boyfriend... Howie someone? who is also a member of the Heartbreakers, actually made headlines in Mexico? Given her Carter / Cash family ties and his celebrity as well, I would imagine it made international headlines.

I know people still probably still screw up the Mexico / New Mexico thing, but in this case, I would think they might be right. Geographically speaking... I would imagine things that happen in the northern part of the U.S. make Canadian headlines often too.
Just my thoughts.
J.

meli
01-28-2002, 01:26 AM
not to sound too catty, but....if Deana would concentrate more on her own songwriting and performance skills, and LESS time on her drinking and blaming everyone else for her problems, maybe her career would be further along than it is.

And I'm sorry, a female singer blaming Garth for her problems while completely overlooking a femalesinger named Shania Twain and a female group named the Dixie Chicks may not have enough brains to make it in Nashville.

MtnGirlCrazy4Garth
01-28-2002, 02:35 AM
I'm not posting to give my opinion on this, because I'm not really sure I have THAT strong of an opinion, one way or another, I agree with a lot of what has been said on both sides of the issue. What I would like to say is that I hope that the people who have chosen to voice a strong opinion, especially against Ms. Carter, took the time to read the entire article, and not just the piece that was posted here. I found it very interesting, and reading it helped to put the whole 'Garth bit' into perspective. Just a suggestion, that's all. :)

berriffic
01-28-2002, 02:58 AM
OK.....Being that i have done nothing but study music business for the last 4 years here is my opinion.
First...Deanna is an ok talent. With the right push and development she might be more. However what miss carter fails to realize is that artist development went out in Nashville in the mid 90's when they were trying to flood the market during the hieght of country music. Thus...Garth was not the reason she didn't get the support she thought she was entitled to.
Second....Capitol although lucky with Garth has had continuing problems with acts in Nashivlle. Both before and after Quigley. They feel that unless and artist can bring them money almost from the starting gate they will move on. Although that may seem unfair, with a minimum of a million going into almost every album they need quick returns to stay open.
Third.....Nashville is very unkind to garth unless they are personally profiting from him. No matter what Garth does he is either monopolizing country music or abandoning the industry. At this poin Garth is happy so ignore the mouths that run so quickly including deannas

And lastly.....What deanna has yet to learn in country is that no one enjoys someone who practices self pitty. People in the industry now know they could be the next person she talks about in the media.....whether they've done right by her or not. It seems to me if she wants personal attention go to an independent label, if she wants success work on the music. But she wanted attention and what better way then to mention the most successful country artist ever in an article.

Just a thought
<3 ber

fuzzwuzz
01-29-2002, 03:14 AM
Oh my. So this is the one who inspired me with a song I have yet to hear, about Strawberry Wine. To her I say, "oh honey! If you only knew what I was saving my bottle of strawberry wine for, unbeknownst and special-given to me after learning of your song!" Because I can tell you this, it's more in the line of Garth's our career, than her measely my career as she called it. Sounds like she's got alot to learn about music. "Forget about the career until you do!" What's she doing thinking she could even be where she is if it hadn't have been for Garth? To me, this is just a sign how bad the entertainment industry needs to be shaken up to reality. Garth said he wants to be surrounded by family in the music industry. "But you didn't want it, and you broke it in two." I think he leaves alot of hope in his wake. Perhaps some will rise to the top as a result, and some may sink right to the bottom. We can only hope that as well.

Lowell Miller
01-29-2002, 02:36 PM
Man, I think that girl caught something from going around with no shoes on all the time. :eek:

BigGfan4life
01-29-2002, 04:51 PM
Here's my 2 cents on the issue, since everyone else is giving their opinions ;)

I have Deana's first CD, "Did I Shave My Legs For This?" and I think it was really well-done for a newcomer in the music industry. We all know about the success of "Strawberry Wine," and I'm pretty sure that the singles "We Danced Anyway," "How Do I Get There" and "Count Me In" did fairly well on the charts. The lyrics, which I'm pretty sure she had a hand in, were pretty good, and the videos did well because her sex appeal was a big thing at the time (remember seeing her plastered all over People Magazine when she first started?). Her follow-up CD, however, wasn't nearly as good. As a matter of fact, I borrowed it from a friend b/c I didn't think that I had any interest in buying it after hearing the first single, and I thought the whole thing was very bland. She sounded like she tried way too hard to include faster, more upbeat songs because that seemed to be the trend in Nashville at the time. Her voice just wasn't cut out for songs like those. I know, b/c I saw her open up for Tim McGraw that year, and she sounded horrible when she sang them live. Nobody in the audience seemed enthused by her at all. Furthermore, I never even *heard* about the glow-in-the-dark CD thing, so that goes to show how much promotional effort she was really putting into the project. I think that if the artist wants their CD to be successful, they need to try harder -- no matter WHAT it takes -- to get word of it out to the public. And therein lies the difference between Garth and Deana. Garth was educated in how to market things and appeal to the masses, and apparently, Deana wasn't. So, if I were her, I wouldn't be pointing the finger at anyone else on the record label and saying that they were partly responsible for her lack of success. IMO, if you want to reap the benefits of a successful CD, then you have to put in the time and effort in learning how to promote it. Even as much as I don't care for Shania Twain, I have to admit that she's business savvy; she knows exactly how to sell her albums to the public, and let's face it -- she doesn't have the best voice among females in country music, nor does she have the best songs, so what could be making her so successful otherwise? Common sense when it comes to promotion, that's what. Sounds to me like Deana is just jealous because other artists clawed and scratched their way to the top when they saw something worth fighting for, while she sat at the bottom of the mountain waiting for an elevator to come catapault her to the top. Sorry, Deana, but success in the music business doesn't work that way. IMO, if you truly believe in the music you're putting out there, you'll fight for it 110%. I can't name more than one song off of her sophomore album, so what does that tell you about how hard she worked to put it out there?

fuzzwuzz
01-31-2002, 01:04 AM
Oh wow! You said a mouthful! The music is definitely worth fighting for, as Toby Keith did his entire career, and he did finally make it to the top. You can't sit at the foot at the mountain letting everybody else pass you by. Know what Toby said in his Pull My Chain cd liner notes? Basically what you said: if he forgot to thank anybody by name, try harder next time. I'll take a singer anyday who kicks butt for the music over one who kisses butt for a living. Pa-lease!!! Get a life y'all!

Wendi5000
01-31-2002, 11:09 AM
I'm just sick of seeing singers blame the record label when their albums don't do as well as they would like. And that goes for Garth as well as Carter, AND all the other artists who blame their labels for everything that doesn't go there way.

ProducerJ
01-31-2002, 12:13 PM
Well, the labels are a big piece of the pie.

If the labels don't market and promote an album, it's not going to go anywhere. When the promotion guys call up radio stations all over the country each week, if your single isn't one they're working hard, it isn't going to get additional spins. Without spins, it doesn't climb the charts, and without more spins, more people aren't hearing it and deciding that they HAVE to have that album.

Take Ty England for example. Capitol decided not to work his album, and it never saw the light of day beyond his core fans. An artist doesn't have the resources to do all the marketing, promotion and phone calling / concerts / radio station tours without the backing of the label. The new Collin Raye album is another good example. Sony put it out, but has dropped him from the roster. So the album is in stores, but do you think you're going to be hearing anything from it on the radio?

Of course, the other piece of the pie is that there has to be good songs for radio to embrace and the label will get behind. But still, in most cases, unless you have the power of someone like Garth, the label has to agree to the songs before the album gets pressed. Chris Cagle got picked up by Capitol when Virgin folded, and they had him go back into the studio and cut two more songs they liked before they'd put the album out under their imprint.

So really, the label controls your destiny, unless, like I said, you're someone like Garth. Of course, being an artist that your label likes and believes in is a big part of it, as well as talent. :) But there are great albums put out every day by very talented people, but they are on independent labels that just don't have a crack at it the way you do on a major label.

Now as with all things in this industry, there are exceptions to the rule. I'm not thinking Arista had to work the current Alan Jackson single too hard, it really had a life of it's own. Same with "Riding with Private Malone," which by the way, is an indy project. Sometimes a song superceeds industry politics.

J.

Wendi5000
01-31-2002, 04:03 PM
The labels might be a big peice of the pie, but that's still no excuse for the artists to act like spoiled little children. I find it ironic that Garth had a problem with Hendricks, and that is why Quigly ended up in there. Now Carter has a problem with Quigly. It seems like (a) you can't please them all and (b) maybe neither Hendricks nor Quigly were the cause of the problems.

KimLove
01-31-2002, 04:23 PM
Hey ya'll
I thought this was an older issue. Deana Carter's last release is NOT comparable to "Did I Shave My Legs For This?" Face it blondie! You wore your hit power out, unless you meditate and come out with some great material. Any thing any artist puts out is always compared to a previous release. Thats the industry.

I read in the Nashville Scene that Deana out in LA somewhere trying to be an actress, why not?
I guess its all human nature, I've done it. Tried to blame my problems and/or failures on someone else. Its always someone else's fault when something doesnt go your way. And who better to blame than our boy? Who could be the better fall guy? Anyway thats just MHO
Love yall
Kim

ProducerJ
02-01-2002, 12:55 AM
Hey Kim! Welcome to the Planet!
I'm facing South and waving at ya!
J.

KimLove
02-01-2002, 09:32 AM
Hey J!
I'm facing north wavin right back at ya!!
;)