PDA

View Full Version : musicians...

ScoobLuvsGarth3
01-20-2002, 11:00 PM
I love singing but have no experience except just singing with the radio on the drive home from somewhere. However, if I could, I would like to have a "benefit concert" for one of the September 11th charities. But the problem is, I don't have any musicians! My dad can play guitar but I'm a little shy about singing around him. Anyways, I live in north Florida (Lake City) and I'm only 12 years old. So, if there's any musicians who would like to help please let me know! :o)

diem nash
01-21-2002, 05:21 PM
That is very sweet!!! :D

Welcome at the Planet! Have a very good time here!

See you!

Madeleine

ScoobLuvsGarth3
01-21-2002, 05:35 PM
well, im actually serious...i would like to do something like that, but there's hardly any musicians in florida! (where i live anyway.) i did know a guy who could play drums but he's in the army, so my luck's out on that. :( but maybe there are some musicians who could give me a hand! id be much obliged if you could.

YODELGAL
01-21-2002, 07:02 PM
Welcome to the forums, kiddo. And although I live in California, I can guarantee that there are musicians in Florida. You just don't know where to find them. First, try the local music stores. They usually list things like local concerts and jam sessions. If there aren't any music stores in your area (horrors!), try the local high school music department. They also usually know what's going on musically in the area. And you might contact the local senior citizens homes and organizations. They often use local talent to entertain their people. I would also let you know that most musicians would be honored to be asked to contribute their talent to such a worthy cause. A word of caution, however. I too have organzied a musical fundraiser (different cause) which came off beautifully . . . but of course it was not at all the way I had planned! Musicians have minds of their own, and it's best to let them have their own way. However, you'll have to limit their time on stage, treating everyone the same . . . either to five or ten minutes, or 3-5 songs. And you'll need an M.C., too (ask the musicians for recommendations) . . . and sound equipment (most musicians have their own, and might be willing to lend it just for the show). Then you need to publicize it in the local papers, and the music stores, etc. will usually post such notices. Good luck, and let us know how it comes out!

Yodelgal (stephanie)

YODELGAL
01-21-2002, 11:06 PM
Oops, I almost forgot. If you are going to raise money and ask for contributions, you need to assure people that it's not going into your pocket (people are SO suspicious). So before you begin, go with your parent to your bank and ask them to set up a special fund, with one of the bank officers as a trustee. Then the checks can be made out to this officer. For cash donations, have addressed, stamped envelopes made out to this officer, at the bank address, and have them in a prominent place. Also, you'll need a hall for the event (or an outside park) and a decorating theme. You might want to invite your local fire/police department to get involved, too. Who knows, maybe you can find some musicians there, too.

Stephanie

ScoobLuvsGarth3
01-22-2002, 06:53 PM
well, before i do anything i need some musicians. right now im still searchin for some in my area, but i aint had any luck lately. also, would it be possible to have the concert at my house? my dad owns 5 acres and we have a huge backyard. but even if i could, i guess the only problem with that would be the stage...where would i get one of those?!
my next question is, do i have to write my own songs? or could i sing other artists' songs? i know that if i did that id have to have some pretty good musicians...my dad cant even play that good! if i had the concert, i was thinking of ways to get the public's attention. puttin up posters at my school probably wouldnt be a good idea because half of the population there is blacks (and as you probably know, there aint too many blacks who like country music...not to be racist!). i guess the newspaper ad would be a good idea, but i live in a pretty small town. and id have to set up a date, too. how would i go about doin that? and do you think people wouldnt want to go to the concert because of my age?
anyway, thanks for helpin me out some on lettin me know what all i need to do. :P

ScoobLuvsGarth3
01-22-2002, 06:56 PM
man, i forgot somethin too! i guess i forgot to tell yall, but i was thinkin of doin the singin myself. like i said, i love singing, but thats another thing im worried about: what would people think about my age?
not to be stupid or anything, but by the way, whats an MC? :D

YODELGAL
01-23-2002, 02:21 AM
Hey, Kiddo: Have you tried any of my suggestions for finding musicians? If none of them would work, because of where you live, then try your school and the local high school. Maybe there are some kid musicians around that nobody knows about yet and would like to get together with other musicians to play for you. I think it's great that you want to sing. Without any musicians, though, that would not work too well. However, there is karaoke music. In case you don't know what that is, it is recorded music for singers to sing to. It's like having your own band. Ask about it at the nearest music store. Other than that, go online and search "karaoke" , then a song you would like to sing, or a singer whose songs you like (like, of course, Garth's) and you can probably find what you're looking for. As for your classmates of different ethnic backgrounds, why not include them in the show? They can offer their music, and you can offer yours, and that way more people will come. Also, if someone wants to do a non-music act, like comedy or juggling, invite them to join the show. that way, you can call it a variety show. Check with you church choir director too, if you have one, and maybe he/she can turn you on to singers and musicians, and other performers.

An MC, by the way, is a Master/Mistress of Ceremonies; in other words, someone to introduce the program. It could be anyone who isn't afraid to get up in front of an audience . . . even your Mom or Dad, or other relative would do. You can hold a concert anywhere, so your place would be fine. As to a stage, heavy tables nailed together might do the trick. Hon, you need to use your imagination to get what you want in life, and you are doing that by going online and asking others for help or suggestions. By the way, if your school has an auditorium, you might go talk to the principal to see if that might be available. Don't be afraid to think BIG! If you don't ask, you'll never know (ever hear Garth's song called "How You Ever Gonna Know?").

Yes, you can use other people's songs for charity purposes. And instead of worrying whether people would come because of your age (Ever hear of Billy Gilman, who is your age and a big country star?) emphasize that this will be a concert/variety show featuring kids, and believe me, their proud parents and other relatives will want to come. Talk to your local newspaper editor for ideas and information too. As you can see, this is a big undertaking, and once you have it put together, you'll need about a month to get it ready and to advertise it. The local editor can help you with that, if it looks good. The local paper might print an article about the show, and that would be terrific advertising!

Your friend, Stephanie

ScoobLuvsGarth3
01-23-2002, 08:00 PM
thanks a lot! thats a HUGE help. yeah, i have heard of billy gilman, but to be honest i aint all that crazy about him. anyways, thanks a lot for clearing that stuff up for me. ill be sure to tell you how it all goes, if it works out. thanks again! :)

diem nash
01-23-2002, 08:41 PM
I havn´t been on that thread for a while.
You got a lot of real good advices from a lady, that knows, what she´s talking about. There are a lot of things you have to do and think about. Wow! I didn´t know that all.
Well, maybe you think, I dont take you serious. I do. It´s great, that you wanna do it. Live your dreams! I wish you good luck! Let us be informed, what´s going on. Okay?
And whenever you need some help, you´ll find it here. Stephanie is real good and will always have an opened ear for you. We all. Okay?

I´ll keep my fingers crossed for you and hope, you´ll have a lot of fun and success!

See you!

Huggs!

Madeleine