PDA

View Full Version : Did you notice they "fixed" The Thunder Rolls on CMT Garthgantuan Weekend?

DixieChick4GB
01-19-2002, 10:58 PM
Remember when the original Coast To Coast Los Angeles concert was on in November and we had that thread about how Garth changed the 3rd verse of The Thunder Rolls? Did he leave out the mention of the pistol on purpose or did he mess up the words?

Well, check it out on the CMT Garth Weekend. The Thunder Rolls has been altered. Now Garth is singing and the pistol kept in the dresser drawer is back in the verse. They go to faraway shots of him when the words are changed.

Anybody notice anything else like this?

Elaine

ProducerJ
01-19-2002, 11:31 PM
WOW - very interesting.
Thanks for sharing that!
J.

PJ
01-20-2002, 12:04 AM
Thanks for the heads up as I haven't seen it yet. Any other differences from what aired on CBS?

Teaser210
01-20-2002, 12:27 AM
Sorry, if you're watching coast to coast for the first time, because CMT cut out some songs too.

I don't appreciate CMT changing history...what do you think?

MtnGirlCrazy4Garth
01-20-2002, 01:40 AM
I have a feeling this wasn't about CMT 'fixing' the song. I think, when Garth sang the song at the concert, he fumbled the words. I mean, we've all seen him do that live from time to time, right? But then, knowing the way Garth is, when you think about the Double Live album and that kinda thing, he could live with the fact that he fumbled the words live, but given the chance to fix it a bit, I'll bet that's exactly what he wanted to do. I mean, knowing Garth, don'tcha think?

Just my impression.

DeeDee

CountryBee
01-20-2002, 02:57 AM
I caught the last part of Coast to Coast to Coast on CMT. When Garth was on the USS Enterprise and sang "When you come back to me Again", they substituted the recorded version in place of him singing live. They showed him singing, but I could tell it wasn't the original live version because when he sang it on the original live broadcast, he was a little hoarse.
Bee

angelamccann
01-20-2002, 01:31 PM
Garth messed up on the original Coast To Coast - I know at the time there was mention here on the forums that he may have changed it deliberately out of respect for the Sept 11 atrocities, but think about it - this is one of his most controversial songs, and Garth never made any changes to song or video before to placate people for any reason. He goes with what he believes in. So I think the re-edit would have been deliberate to ensure the song went out as Garth wanted it to. The same for WYCBTMA on the Enterprise, I should imagine. Did Garth sing that song again after the live broadcast finished, or is this another piece of recorded footage? I have to ask because we didn't get the CMT weekend here in England (sigh)...

Angela x

PJ
01-20-2002, 01:36 PM
I don't believe Garth sang it a second time, just another edit. The fact that Thunder was "fixed" does seem to indicate it was a flub and not a meaningful deletion on Garth's part. :)

Also, is it just me or are there more cuts to the audience while Garth's singing than the originally aired concerts? I've only watched the LA portion so far, but don't remember seeing those ladies in the tight tank tops as many times during the original airing.

JoAnn L.
01-20-2002, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by PJ
I don't believe Garth sang it a second time, just another edit. The fact that Thunder was "fixed" does seem to indicate it was a flub and not a meaningful deletion on Garth's part. :)

Also, is it just me or are there more cuts to the audience while Garth's singing than the originally aired concerts? I've only watched the LA portion so far, but don't remember seeing those ladies in the tight tank tops as many times during the original airing.

Not your imagination. As a matter of fact a good friend of mine got upgraded from nose bleeds to front row center. All night long she stood there holging her ILUVGRTH license plate on the stage. I saw them flash it up close last night. I thought it was very cool too, because only 3 days b4 that she went to Leno & met Garth back stage & got the entire band including Garth to sign her plate...& you could even see the signatures on it. Too bad Linda doesn't know this? She's on a cruise ship as we speak with Collin Raye.

AS far as the fixed lyrics...my 12 year picked up on it immediately. The first original airing of the show we played that part over & over until we could figure out what the heck he really said. We concluded he forgot the words & said whatever came to him mouth. We heard him sing:
"Spend a minute in the mirror, chest in the dresser drawers." LOL That is so not the words, not even close.
Also on the USS Enterprise show originally, during "When You Come Back To Me Again"...they didn't show all the footage of service men/women hugging their families good-bye. It was a major tear jerker for sure. I thought what a perfect video for that song...then realized he already has one for Frequency. Why can't he have two? I think they should make that one to pay on CMT as a video??

PJ
01-20-2002, 02:09 PM
I had alerady emailed Linda too because she got several shots during Wrapped Up In You that I didn't remember the first time either.

DixieChick4GB
01-20-2002, 02:36 PM
I noticed WYCBTMA also. Our thread at the time talked about how his voice was either off-key on the Enterprise or hoarse from the cold temperature or whatever. But on CMT this weekend, he was singing the perfect recorded version.

Yes, there were definitely more audience views, too... And I really missed hearing That Summer and other songs they left out.

Elaine

Anonymous77
01-20-2002, 07:19 PM
I hate my cable company... :mad:

I don't get CMT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Briggs7195
01-20-2002, 08:53 PM
Yes I noticed it immediatly when I saw it. I wonder how they fixed it..maybe he played LA for more than one night and they included that or something. Cause it's not like they just put the song on there cause if you look @ his mouth he actually says she reaches for the pistol..but on the first time lol i laughed so hard at whatever he mumbled. I want to record the 2nd one over my first one(just that song lol, cause he looks so goofy mumbling that hehe).

gbcgbeliever
01-20-2002, 09:31 PM
The first time around on the three shows, our local station, chose not to show all the credits at the end of the shows. and what they did show was so small you couldn't read them....I hated that!!! Anyway, was very glad to see CMT show them at the end of the two hours of clips from the three shows... Janet...

PJ
01-20-2002, 10:27 PM
There was only one LA show. If you notice on CMT, the camera pans out during the pistol line of the third verse so you can't see his lips flub the line. ;) Just some fancy editing.

Garthfan92
01-20-2002, 10:32 PM
I didn't mind them fixing that. I don't think they should have touched WYCBTMA though. Should have left that as it was. Seeing some different camera shots throughout the shows was kinda cool though. Saw some of those little things that we didn't get to the first time. Saw some signs and things in the crowds that were pretty cool.

Lisa

MtnGirlCrazy4Garth
01-20-2002, 11:21 PM
Ya' know, when I first read about them 'fixing' Thunder Rolls, I was okay with that, then when I read that they substituted the entire 'WYCBTMA', I thought 'now, that's not right, he should just go with the live version, hoarse or not, keep it original and not worry about perfection so much.' But, I was watching it tonight and I thought it was kinda cool, actually. It's obvious that they TOTALLY reproduced that whole part of the concert, and like JoAnn(?) was saying, they did it more like a music video than just a concert shot, not only with shots of the crowd, but with other 'military' scenes thrown in, of families saying goodbye or welcoming their loved ones home or whatever. Very nicely done, and like she was saying, they could EASILY use it as a music video, and that would be awesome, with what is going on and everything. Cool idea, and I can't help but think that's what Garth and/or Jon Small was thinking when they put it together.

All in all, even though they couldn't fit EVERYTHING in, I like what they did. You can tell that they had all of the cameras rolling, all of the time, and they went back and used footage that was not used during the live broadcast. That's cool, cuz like a music video, it gives them the chance to use some artistry that you can't do during the live broadcast, when camera changes and those kinds of decisions have to be made in a split second.

My hope??? I just PRAY that, like Central Park, Garth will put this out on video, and that it will include a WHOLE LOT MORE than what they did on CMT, including some of the 'post-live broadcast' footage, the stuff he stayed and did after they went off air. WOULDN'T THAT BE AWESOME??? :) Of course, part of that IS selfish, I would love to see the moment when he took the flowers from Danae and gave her that kiss!!! ;) *sigh*

Anyway, just my thoughts...

Monica Lockhart
01-20-2002, 11:32 PM
Just my thoughts here...knowing what a perfectionist Garth is...

I don't think that Garth would let them edit these shows without his knowledge and consent do you?

I think he probably wanted the CMT special to be "perfect" in his eyes.

What do you all think??

Moni

MtnGirlCrazy4Garth
01-20-2002, 11:42 PM
Moni ~

Oh, definitely, my thoughts for sure! When I kept saying 'they' in my last post, I was thinking of Garth/Jon Small/whoever works on editing all this stuff! I'm sure it's just 'post-live broadcast' production, that's all, just cleaning up the rough stuff and making it the best it can be, keeping what was really 'good' about the live stuff, but fixing some stuff that Garth just couldn't bring himself to live with the way it was. When I first heard about some of the 'post-live' production done on Double Live, I felt a little cheated. But, that was when I was a very new Garth fan. Now, I think I understand him a little better, it's just Garth trying to bring us the best he can, and I think that's cool!!! :) Besides, it's his voice, it's his image, you can't blame him when he 'touches something up' a little. Wouldn't we all like to be able to do that at times? ;)

Yada, yada, yada... I'll shut up now! ;)

no1cowgirl
01-21-2002, 08:37 AM
I've only watched the LA portion so far, but don't remember seeing those ladies in the tight tank tops as many times during the original airing.

*LMAO* Money shot or something *L*

Krista

Garthmedic
01-21-2002, 10:19 AM
What was wrong with those shots? It sure beat looking at GB's rear end!

--spud--:)

MT4GB
01-21-2002, 10:38 AM
Spud speak for yourself! I rather see Garth's behind in those blue jeans then watching some woman bouncing up and and down! :rolleyes: :p

Nancy

JoAnn L.
01-21-2002, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by MountainGirlCrazy4Garth the stuff he stayed and did after they went off air. WOULDN'T THAT BE AWESOME??? Of course, part of that IS selfish, I would love to see the moment when he took the flowers from Danae and gave her that kiss!!! *sigh*
I'm with you. We saw it happen live from behind the stage...it was Kathy who confirmed it was Danae. I'll never forget that happy be-bopping back girl as she headed back to her seat. Her long brown hair was swaying to & fro in exhilaration. Oh to have that on film somewhere!!

Oh & Dee Dee, I got the message you called last night. I was crashed out. Too much Garth this weekend I supose? LOL I hope everything is okay?
Jo

Diamond7s
01-21-2002, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by MountainGirlCrazy4Garth
My hope??? I just PRAY that, like Central Park, Garth will put this out on video, and that it will include a WHOLE LOT MORE than what they did on CMT, including some of the 'post-live broadcast' footage, the stuff he stayed and did after they went off air. WOULDN'T THAT BE AWESOME??? :) Of course, part of that IS selfish, I would love to see the moment when he took the flowers from Danae and gave her that kiss!!! ;) *sigh*

Anyway, just my thoughts...

I'm prayin' HARD right along with you, for my own selfish reasons :) As for the 'edited' version, I kind of liked seeing the different shots, although I do think the 'bouncin blonds' were a bit over done.

Overall I was kind of disappointed in the whole CMT weekend. It would have been really nice to see some new stuff, be it an interview, an acoustic session, and appearance on MLW or the Opry or un-seen concert footage. It kind of seemed like Garth gave CMT the goahead for the weekend, but didn't really support it in anyway. I know, I know...he's retired :(

Michelle
be an orginal, an individual like dr. pepper 10,000X and countin' :)

PJ
01-21-2002, 12:32 PM
I too wish there had been more new footage, but we got quite a bit from someone who's "retired". :) I did enjoy the behind the scenes footage before each of the Coast to Coast concerts.

JoAnn L.
01-21-2002, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by Diamond7s
It kind of seemed like Garth gave CMT the goahead for the weekend, but didn't really support it in anyway. I know, I know...he's retired

He did give them the "new" fixed/edited portion from Coast, To Coast, To Coast...and for that I am truly grateful. We got to see MORE clips in the audience, more of Garth talking, & his thoughts & footage of some behind the scenes...but I would have loved to see more of that. As far as "newer" stuff, sure we always want new Garth...but I am sure there are a ton of Garth fans who have never had a chance to see or tape Ireland and Back or some of his older videos? I for one am glad for what I saw because I was able to get DVD quality copy of all this.

I watched the tape again of WYCMBMA, & if "they" don't make that a second version of the same song on video I will be completely surprised?

To me that version looks like a "Thank You" to the service men & women for what they do for our country. I wouldn't be surprised it he didn't make them into videos & ship them crates full for all the service men on those ships??
Jo

TYJunkie
01-21-2002, 01:42 PM
I've only watched a little bit of the C2C concerts on CMT as I was watching the Golden Globes, but I did notice some different camera shots on "Ain't Going Down..."

IMO if they do come out with a VHS/DVD pkg of the C2C concerts, I don't think they should "fix" or change anything (that's the neat thing about having something "live") but add footage of the non-televised portion. Like maybe some of Trisha on the Enterprise.

GBJR77
01-21-2002, 11:19 PM
How disappointing was the c2c special? I watched for two hours to see 'doctored' footage, and for a cumlative of 1 1/2 mins of unseen stuff behind the scenes. The behind the scenes stuff was ok, but they showed so little of it that it almost made it pointless...I truly hope there is a DVD in the works of it, with the behind the scenes stuff added as a bonus 'documentary' or 'making of'. But, I highly doubt it. After hearing of, and reading the articles of GB turning down the olympics to sing "Standing Outside the Fire" because Jan 1 was the cut-off date for his career, I just don't see them releasing anything else, like a DVD. It is nice to dream, but I honestly don't see it coming true.

I wish though, that since the CMT version of c2c was supposed to be 'Garth's favorite moments' according to the commmercials, that they would've showed some of the stuff that wasn't originally aired. They kept the cameras rolling, and there had to be stuff he really liked after the TV portion was over. I don't know, it truly was a waste of time to watch 5 hours of stuff I already had on tape for a whole 1 1/2 minutes of stuff I didn't......

Kelly Ray

fuzzwuzz
01-21-2002, 11:40 PM
I don't get CMT. I wish I could sympathsize with some of ya, but I fail to see how it can ever be a waste of time to watch Garth whatever the situation! I can barely make up for losing out on the bulk of his career pre Chris Gaines! Thanks for sharing about all the differences though. Can't wait for the DVD's if they come out of Garth's retirement.

CountryBee
01-21-2002, 11:58 PM
I thought it was interesting that they took the three specials and made them into one. I, too, wish that it had been done differently. I would have loved to have seen some of the extra stuff that Garth taped after the live broadcasts were over. It will be interesting to take the 3 "Coast to Coast to Coast" specials that I taped and compare them to the one CMT special.
Bee

Greeny
01-22-2002, 12:30 AM
I was also dissapointed with it... The only good part was the "new" SMI and AGDTTSCU when they showed different angles and new shots to see some of the things it didnt show before. I was mad that they cut out my favorite song though(That Summer)

JoAnn L.
01-22-2002, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by GBJR77
How disappointing was the c2c special? I truly hope there is a DVD in the works. It is nice to dream, but I honestly don't see it coming true.
I don't know, it truly was a waste of time to watch 5 hours of stuff I already had on tape for a whole 1 1/2 minutes of stuff I didn't......Kelly Ray

WOW, what a downer! It's amazing you sat thru the 5 hours to begin with? You have so little faith, why bother dreaming? If you don't have any hopes or beliefs in him...sounds like you DID waste your time, and don't truly "get it?" Maybe you should write a letter to CMT & complain? At least you could put your disappointed energy to good use.

It's posts like this that drive me to defend Garth's honor & integrity, the very reason why every time I talk to Garth I feel the need to tell him even more, how much I respect and support him in everything he does, (that he doesn't HAVE to), because of the "nay sayers" and the "critics." I for one appreciated the added 1-1/2 minutes, if that's all there was...and thoroughly enjoyed watching Garth again all weekend...even if it WAS repeats. Geeze, I even watched it 3 times as it aired and enjoyed every minute of it (15 hours worth) even though I could rewind my copy over & over! I loved the new version of "WYCBTMA." That song was at least 2-3 minutes long LIVE, & the new additions of service men & their families greeting each other & saying good-byes was COMPLETELY worth my 5 hours of time taping. That was all new footage as far as I am concerned. I loved it so much it inspired me to write to Garth & let him know how sweet it was & how I'd love to see it releases to CMT & the like as a 2nd version of "WYCBTMA."

Some people are just NEVER satisfied, no matter what??

Jo<-----stepping off soap box!!

Crackers
01-22-2002, 02:09 PM
I feel exactly the same way.

PJ
01-22-2002, 02:28 PM
I agree that I wish things would have been done differently, but I am very thankful to CMT for giving us all the Garth that they did! Perhaps CMT only alloted so many hours of Garth programming and condensing the 3 Coast to Coast concerts into one two hour special was the best way to get more total footage - who knows. All I can say is that if it bothered some folks so much, they could always just change the channel. I remember not too long ago when some complained that the music channels don't show enough Garth and now that CMT did, it wasn't the right kind of Garth. Geez, can they ever win?

allisonv7
01-22-2002, 02:46 PM
Almost daily I go to country.com to see what Garth videos are going to be on so I can watch them.....I remember days when there would only be one or two Garth videos shown all day, if any. CMT has never represented Garth the way they should, IMHO, I think he has earned A LOT more airtime than he gets. This weekend was gift, and I'm so thankful they did it...even if it was stuff we have seen before. Just think of all the new fans he gained this weekend because of CMT....I can think of two people that I have talked to that aren't country fans, don't listen to Garth, but by Monday nite they were begging for more, THAT is what this weekend was about.

allison.

Diamond7s
01-22-2002, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by JoAnn L.
Some people are just NEVER satisfied, no matter what??

Jo<-----stepping off soap box!!

Ok, since I sort of started this I feel the need to explain myself a little better.

First, I was very happy that CMT FINALLY decided to dedicate some time to Garth. Second, I enjoyed the specials, I watched everthing except for a couple hours of Big Ticket. Ireland and Back amazes me every time I watch it, the crowd was incredible, and as I said in my last post, I liked the different shots used for the C2C specials, I also thought the sound and picture quality was better. My only disappointment came from not seeing anything orginal during the weekend, and I fault CMT more for that. I don't think it was hoping for too much that a country music t.v station would have an interview or somthing to air, to compliment the weekend. Saying Garth didn't 'support' the weekend wasn't right. I know he has given interviews to CMT Canada and that CMT was actually at the Scarecrow debut. Why they chose not to use any of that I don't know.

Hopefully that filled in a little of the hole i dug.

JoAnn L.
01-22-2002, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by Diamond7s
Ok, since I sort of started this I feel the need to explain myself a little better.

Diamond, it wasn't your post that started anything...ast least with me. You don't owe me any explanation. I completely understood your post.

My long soap post was to the other person who complained they wasted 5 hours wathcing Garth on CMT for only 1 1/2 minutes of new footage.....and felt it was a total waste of time. I just can't relate?? How could anyone watch WYCBTMA and not me moved and inspired??

LuvGarth7
01-23-2002, 08:23 PM
I was at the SOuth Padre Island Concert, and i watched my tape of it a million times afterwards. I noticed that a lot of the camera angles were different. I know because on CMT there was a pretty clear shot of me, that wasn't on the live version. I also think the same about the Los Angelos show, during Squeeze Me In. CRYSTAL

dsellers
01-25-2002, 09:49 AM
Hey, I was at the SPI concert too! Not anywhere near the front, but I was there and that's all that matters! I haven't seen the new CMT version, do they show much from that concert? We could see ourselves on the live version, my husband and I were 2 little bright orange arms waving Texas flags! I don't get CMT, so I'm trying to get someone to tape everything for me!

Dawn

Steven75407
01-29-2002, 08:03 PM
I liked it. But they shouldn't show more of the crowd than Garth - it's just not fair. As for WCBTMA, it was very touching. I don't understand why Garth refused to do the Olympics. It wouldn't hurt him to do juat one performance, and then fly back to Nashville afterwards. I think "The River" would be more appropriate for the Olympic Games, anyway. Although I am a fan of the Dixie Chicks and LeAnn Rimes, it's too bad my hero Garth won't be there :(

darinbunjer
01-29-2002, 08:36 PM
As many of us are, I am a big Garth fan. For those of you musicians out there, there were a couple of other fixes made in the remix for CMT. On The USS Enterprise, when Garth began Friends in Low Places, his E string went out of tune. On CMT, it sounded right. At South Padre, when Garth began The Dance, he started playing the song with his capo on, playing an Ab rather than a G. Once again, the problem was fixed with CMT. The advantage also to having it remixed was that the sound was more dynamic and louder with all the instruments turned up and balanced right. That was a fun weekend.

ProducerJ
01-30-2002, 12:50 AM
WOW! Cool. Thanks for the musician perspective. Most of us would have just known something "sounded better." :D
J <-- who doesn't know an E string from an E on an eye chart...and I'm guessing a capo isn't something he wore on his head?

garth_fan_1991
08-17-2006, 12:37 AM
its not the first time hes edited videos look at callin baton rouge and look at the double album

lyricprincess
08-18-2006, 12:30 PM
I thought something was different, but i never figured out what. Im glad i wasnt the only one that noticed that!

ScareCrowFan
08-18-2006, 09:10 PM
He mentioned in an interview that out of respect of 9/11 he left that verse out. I was at the Coast to Coast concert in LA, on the floor...he had the video altered also...

garth_fan_1991
08-18-2006, 09:15 PM
ooo how did he have the video altered also?