PDA

View Full Version : Hadn't heard this yet...

allisonv7
01-19-2002, 12:59 AM
I never saw anything regarding Garth's opinion of the whole WSM thing, but I just read this on Launch.com::::

NEWS - Garth Brooks Takes Stance On Opry Radio Station Controversy
01/15/2002

(1/15/02, 10 a.m. ET) -- Nashville's classic country radio station, WSM-AM, has been the subject of controversy over the last few weeks. The future of the station, which has become a fixture in country music history, was threatened by its owners, Gaylord Entertainment, who were considering changing the format to a sports network. Several of country music's biggest stars verbally protested the change, including Vince Gill, Hank Williams Jr., Brad Paisley, Chely Wright, and Marty Stuart, to name a few.

Garth Brooks, however, views the matter from a different perspective. "We all love our music and we all love our format, but remember, it's a business, and if a station that has been a certain station for so long can't make it in that field anymore and has to sell out or gets a better offer, it's simply business," he says. "Country should be its own flag. Whoever plays it as long as they believe in it and are sincere in it, then I'm happy with it."

Yesterday (January 14) afternoon, Gaylord executives announced that WSM-AM will remain a country station, due in part to the number of phone calls and emails in support of the Grand Ole Opry's flagship station. The news was delivered at the Ryman Auditorium, where Gill and Stuart were on hand to applaud the decision. There will be some changes made to the station, however, to make it more profitable. WSM-AM lost $1.5 million last year.

-- Margy Holland, Nashville and Neal Weiss, Los Angeles

--------------------------

allison.

Pilgrim
01-19-2002, 05:15 AM
I think I read it somewhere, but can't remember where:o

I just thought it was posted here a few days ago:o

Thanks for posting it anyway:D

Brian

XFER
01-19-2002, 05:27 AM
Until I saw your post, I didn't know what was the opry, well, thanks for the enlightenment :)

Ari

ProducerJ
01-19-2002, 10:18 AM
Ugh.

I'm glad I hadn't seen that. :(
J.

Garthfan92
01-19-2002, 12:24 PM
From a strictly business standpoint, I suppose Garth is right. The station has to do what it needs to in order to keep going. I'm sure he was thinking the Opry would easily find another home and not stop airing. From the historical standpoint of keeping a tradition going though, let's just be glad it's staying right where it is!

Lisa

Cheryl
01-19-2002, 12:34 PM
"Country should be its own flag. Whoever plays it as long as they believe in it and are sincere in it, then I'm happy with it."

Interesting comments. I can't help but wonder what Garth meant by that. Perhaps his opinion of Gaylord Entertainment isn't all that high, hence the "believe in it" and "sincere in it" comments.

I've read a lot of unfavorable comments about Gaylord Entertainment from many different people. Never anything from Garth, but the above comments just make me wonder if maybe he feels that Gaylord Entertainment doesn't deserve the Opry. Maybe he meant that he doesn't think they know how to handle it, and perhaps someone else could do a better job of running it? Seems like, as usual, there is more than meets the eye.

Anyway.....just me wondering out loud.

allisonv7
01-19-2002, 12:37 PM
I've been thinking about this some more.....and if it was any other station I would support Garth's stance....but this isn't just any station, this is THE country music station. I don't know...it would just bother me if WSM was switched, it's more of a historical thing to me than a business thing.

allison.

Garthfan92
01-19-2002, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by Cheryl
I've read a lot of unfavorable comments about Gaylord Entertainment from many different people. Never anything from Garth, but the above comments just make me wonder if maybe he feels that Gaylord Entertainment doesn't deserve the Opry

That would explain why he'd take that stand on it, because as much as it's logical from a business standpoint, still surprised me a bit coming from Garth. After all, we know how he feels about the Opry. He and others in the business know things we don't though, and perhaps this has a lot to do with it.

Lisa