PDA

View Full Version : Any Performers Out There?

YODELGAL
01-17-2002, 03:44 PM
I'm new to the forums, and have been surfing the threads, looking for musical "soul mates." I'm 63, and after giving up music in my youth (I wasn't getting anything else done), I once again began to sing (and play guitar) about 3 years ago, after seeing a video of Garth's Central Park concert. To my utter amazement and delight, when first opened my mouth to sing a Garth song publicly, out came this wonderful voice that I never had as a youth! I've been singing (and yodelling) ever since, sometimes 3-4 days a week, at country music venues, dinner theaters, private parties, and numerous jam sessions. I've had a number of fascinating experiences associated with Garth's music, and I have learned the art of performing from watching his performance videos. Any other performers out there interested in sharing such information? I don't want to bore you if you're not.

diem nash
01-18-2002, 01:28 PM
Itīs absolutely not boring!!! Believe me!
Itīs very interesting and cool in my eyes! Tell me more about it, please!
Well, Iīm not a performer or whatever! Better for everybody! ;)
But I like it, if people live their dreams. You are never too old for that! So tell me more, please!

Well, Iīm not the best informed here. But there is a member - Rick is his name - he has a show, where he sings Garthīs songs. He told me about it and I saw some pics. It looks real great! Hope to see him one day.

I think, itīs funny, that you yodel! Germans do it sometimes, but not me! :)
I know, that even Garth did it in a song. Canīt remember which one yet. It sounded cute!

Are you male or female? And do you have a real name? ;)

See you!

Madeleine (Female! :) )

YODELGAL
01-19-2002, 03:25 AM
Hi Madeleine: I'm delightedthat you answered. I was hoping to find some performers out there because sometimes one has to be a performer to understand. For example, as a Garth fan, you enjoy most of the songs on any given Garth CD. Have you noticed that they are in any particular order? Generally, you will find that a fast song is followed by a slower song; and that different kinds of songs are interspersed with other types of songs. The same is true for performing live in front of an audience. You'll notice that Garth pumps an audience higher and higher, then will give them a breather with a slow, emotional song, then will pump them up again. He's described it as "being like sex." And he's right. I try to do the same when I have been given time to sing three songs in a row, for example. I'll start with a song that is familiar to everyone (like "Green Green Grass of Home" or "America The Beautiful"); then I do a ballad, usually one of Garth's not-so-well-known songs, like "This ain't Tennessee" or "Wolves". I then end with a yodelling song, which some of the audience particulary come to hear me do (or so they've told me). My performing receives great applause, and usually a lot of picture-taking. Then another performer sings three songs, all of them in the same key, with the same beat, and the same type of melody. People begin talking among themselves during the performance, and there is only luke warm applause. Just the planning of what song should follow another is one of the keys to successful performing. Se what I mean? What is it about a performer that catches your eye? And by the way, my name is Stephanie.

MDgarthgirl
01-19-2002, 12:55 PM
Hey Stephanie,

Good name…that’s my name, too, although I go by "Nash" here…for Nashville.
I’m not quite there yet, but I’m on way to becoming a full-time performer. I’m earning a degree in Recording Industry at MTSU. My music minor requires me to perform (for professors, usually, lol). I also write lyrics and have a few songwriting friends.

I understand what you mean about song order in both recorded music and live performance. And you’re right about both. The better performers, including Garth, won’t stick with one style for too long or the audience can slip from their hands. Garth seems to pay more attention to his music as far as arranging (instruments) and order on an album. He stretches the range of sonic content on an album, which helps more people to take to it. The effect is almost subconscious. Notice how people say, "I don’t know what it is about that song, but I love it." Or the ever-popular, oxymoronic statement, "I don’t like Country music, but I love Garth Brooks." I would imagine most people prefer the variety, as well as his versatile voice and the messages in his songs. He sings about love, lust, hurt, hope, and everything everyone else sings about…but he’s got something extra.

Another element of his live show would be the crazy guy Garth refers to as "GB." The guy who will hang from a lighting rig, jump between ladders, leap to the balcony and climb to the back row. I don’t think Country performers were ever known for their stage theatrics. He captures people who need visual excitement as well as aural.

Good luck with your performing career. :)

Nash

diem nash
01-19-2002, 01:23 PM
Nice to meet you! :)

I quessed that you may be a "girl". I wished it somehow. Because Iīd like to know, how a female feels singing Garthīs songs! He is one of the best male who can touch and even understand a females heart. I think, if Iīd have talent and all I need Iīd choose to sing his songs, too.
Iīd love it to see you performing!!!

Itīs sooo great, that you live your dream!!!

Unfortunately Iīve never seen Garth live. Well, I have the New York-Concert and got tapes fom the concerts lately. Itīs like being there, but something missing. Iīm sooo touched by seeing him. I can see his heart beating wild, when he sings. I can see his bright eyes and how he always is soo overwelmed and still surprised, when his fans sing with him and know every single word of his songs. I can see his little madness (I LOVE IT!!!). And can see, how happy he is doing this. He and his fans are in another world then. I absolutely enjoy it.
Well, unanswered prayers. Iīd love it to see him, but God desided not to show me. I think, he just wanna safe me, because I would die, if Iīd see Garth! :) It would be too good to survive it! Makes it sense for you?!

I know exactly, what you mean, if you talk about his concert (How he choose songs...). Garth is magic!!! Thatīs it! No one else can do it. Itīs Garthīs destiny. God chose him to do it his way. AndGarth had as much fun and went through all those feelings like his fans. Garth without his fans is the same like his fans without him! They ned each other!

"My performing receives great applause, and usually a lot of picture-taking. Then another performer sings three songs, all of them in the same key, with the same beat, and the same type of melody. People begin talking among themselves during the performance, and there is only luke warm applause."

Music and performing it is a gift. Some can, some not. You are as good a your heart is. If you feel and live music, you can climb every mountain. Do you understand, what I mean?
I am so very happy for you, that music leads your life in that special way.

"What is it about a performer that catches your eye?"
I know, what you mean! Garth touched my heart in such a special way. No one else can do that again with me in this way! Heīs magic!!!

Iīll send you a pm.

Huggs!

Madeleine

diem nash
01-19-2002, 01:31 PM
I like that name. Have the same and chose it for the same reason. Thatīs funny! :)

I just can agree with what you said.

"He sings about love, lust, hurt, hope, and everything everyone else sings about…but he’s got something extra."

That is so true!!! Thatīs the magic I mean. :)

"Good luck with your performing career."

I just can give that back to you and of course to Stephanie!

Send me an autograph then! ;)

:D

Madeleine

diem nash
01-19-2002, 01:39 PM
I canīt send you a pm. If you like you can send me one to tell me, where I can send you my private note. Or e-mail me (Madel100@hotmail.com).

Would be nice! But just, if you like.

:)

Madeleine

YODELGAL
01-19-2002, 09:36 PM
Hey Nash: I am SO glad you're out there. It's great to talk with another musician about Garth performances. I think the best information I can pass along to you when you start performing is a past quote from I think it was Garth's manager: "When most performers come onto a stage, their behavior says 'Here I am!' When Garth comes onto the stage, his behavior says 'There you are!' It is what performing is all about. You need to look into the eyes of individual audience members, and commune.

Also, perform whenever and whereever you can. Each time is a learning experience. Keep talking to me.

Incidently, I'm an attorney by profession and when people ask me what I do, I tell them two things: I'm an attorney ("How interesting.") and I'm also a country singer ("ooooooooh, WOW.") Thanks Garth! Now I know what's REALLY important.

Yodelgal (Stephanie--great name, isn't it?)

countyfair_85
01-20-2002, 12:29 AM
Stephanie,

I'm glad the Central Park concert tape caused such a reaction...
I was there by the way...and it was an amazing day. I had several
out of the ordinary experiences...well, everyone with me had some
strange moments I've never shared.
About being a performer...I'm not...except in dreams! :) I mean
I've had dreams where I've been onstage singing and performing with
Garth. That may sound strange, but it's true. One time he talked to me onstage in a dream about writing my poetry again.
Anyway, I agree about the order of songs...Garth even mentioned that over the years. I remember he said something about listening to the last song on each album, and said 'wow'. I can't remember the entire moment, but I listened to last song on the albums in order because he said it.
He also mentioned listening to the songs with 'headphones' on.
I remember him telling about taking you up with a song and then letting you breath with a slow song. ;o)
By the way, I love the 'yodel' songs...enjoyed Garth yodeling on 'The Cowboy Song' and LeAnne Rimes yodels great too.

You know what's strange, you claim you got your 'ability' after watching Garth on TV for Central Park...well, one member of "N'SYNC"
claims he got his voice to sing from attending a Garth Brooks concert too!
I have a Garth website and sometimes people write me and tell amazing stories about Garth's music and seeing him on TV and in concert.

I remember a few of my favorites...

One man wrote me telling how he and his wife tried for like 9 years to have a baby...they tried everything but it never happened until they attended a Garth concert...and exactly 9 mo. later they had a baby.

Another man wrote about 3 years ago about Garth's song 'The Dance' and how he had been on his way to the river to take his own life.
While walking past a gas station, he heard a voice and a song that made him pay attention, so he walked over to the gas station to listen closely and it was "The Dance" playing. He changed his mind and didn't take his own life because of that song.

The biggest thing about the stories I've read from Garth fans over the past almost 4 years of having the site...is the fact I realized how much the 'music' was touching the lives of so many others and not just me! So, I didn't feel out of place knowing I was experiencing something just like everyone else and at times even more so it seems because I'm me. :)

I might not be a performer...but the other night while I sat here listening to Garth's music...I was jamming along, singing and slapping my legs...it even felt like I was sitting among Garth and the gang in a circle for a practice session! LOL
I had a blast!

Anyway...good luck with your performing and keep thinking "There you are" towards the audience...that's a wonderful attitude to have! Just like Garth in concert. He always made each concert feel great to me...and I looked at other people also, I'll never forget the look on their faces.

-Diane

YODELGAL
01-21-2002, 06:50 PM
Hey Diane: You say you're not a performer. Why not? Have you ever tried? I got back into singing by going to local karaoke venues, and trying out Garth music backgrounds. Most of the singers aren't "professional" material, but they sure have fun. And if you go with any regularity, you may be aware of the progress many of the singers make. If it is too scary to try singing "cold", go to a store that sells karaoke tapes/CDs, find a Garth song you want to try, and practice it at home. You should know that the karaoke venues have the capacity to alter the key the song is recorded in, so if it's too high, ask them to lower the key before you begin. Your home copy will be in the same key they have. Most machines will lower it one-half step at a time. When I sing most Garth music, I have to raise the keys two half-steps, to get it right for my voice. So you go for it, Diane! And also anyone else out there who's never tried it.

Yodelgal (Stephanie)

fuzzwuzz
01-22-2002, 12:23 AM
That's EXACTLY how I felt singled out by Chris Gaines!!! First through his music, and then when I met Garth as a Met when he 'recognized' ME first, (because of Chris?) I'm not only into Garth and it's all Chris Gaines fault! But I'm now into all things country as well! Is there no cure for me? ;)

YODELGAL
01-22-2002, 02:15 PM
Fuzzwuzz, I'm afraid you are doomed. You know what they say about country fans: Once a fan, ALWAYS a fan! Now I need to know if you are also a performer, or an aspiring performer.

Stephanie

randyandy
01-22-2002, 02:36 PM
Hi to the sunny California!

How do you perform (6-string-acoustic-guitar or 12-strings or e-guitar), what trade-mark are you using (takamine, yamaha, fender...?)

I've bought a new acoustic-guitar (Yamaha DW-8L), and it sounds gooood!!!

So, I'm a left-hand-player, and it's very difficult to get such a lh-guitar here in Germany!!

Yes, sometimes I used to perform some songs from GB for my friends.

They've SAID that they love the way I do (sing and play) Pop, Folk, Rock and Country-Songs.

But I am never satisfied with my singing and guitar-playing performances!

But the "Applause" from my dear friends or buddies makes me happy!

How about you?

So...take care

Bye says Andy

countyfair_85
01-22-2002, 08:24 PM
Stephanie,

Oh my no! I couldn't stand up in front of a bunch of people and perform! I'd be way to shy! :o
When I perform it's usually in dreams! Then I'm not shy at all! LOL :D
I'd have to admit that I sang loud and clear when at 7 different Garth concerts...without fear!
Or when I'm driving down the road I'll be singing along with Garth's music and that's when my voice sounds the best...right from the heart...deep down inside.
When others are around, I hold back and my voice betrays me! :eek:
LOL
Now my son sings "Karaoke" with others on occasion...he plays 'darts' as a hobby with his in-laws...and usually at local resorts, taverns, bar and grills...etc.
When he does Karaoke he sings Garth's songs. One time he won something for singing 'The Dance' and was offered a job performing as a singer...which he declined.
He does have a great voice...I wish he'd use his gift to sing and perform...oh well, maybe someday! :)
He asks me from time to time to come watch him perform for Karaoke and darts, but I've never gone...maybe I'll show up one night and join him in a Garth song on stage...:p
I'll let you know what happens if I do!
Thanks for the encouragement!

-Diane

diem nash
01-22-2002, 10:18 PM
Donīt be shy! I wanna hear you sing! :D

Go, girl, go!!! (Can you see me dancing?! ;) )

Huggs!

Maddy

YODELGAL
01-23-2002, 03:40 AM
Hey Everybody. It's really great that I'm getting such a good response, so I'll try to keep up.

Andy: I play 6-string acoustic. My old guitar that I'd had for 50 years literally fell apart at the seams, so I told my husband (who loves garage sales) to get me at least two more, but not to spend more than $25 for any of them. Within 2 weeks, he brought home seven guitars. Two were useless; 3 were ok as folk guitars with nylon strings (my husband is not a musician, obviously); and the last two I use. One is a Harmony 6-string acoustic and the other is a small Palmer. To give you an idea how they sound: At an outdoor jam with about 20 musicians all standing in a kind of circle, a lady I didn't know came up to me and said: "Do you mind if I ask you a question?" I told her not at all, I'll try to answer it. "Well, she said, I've noticed that the man in the straw cowboy hat plays the same chords you do, but his guitar sound louder and fuller. Why is that?" I looked over at the man's guitar, and replied: "Well, you see, my guitar is worth $25.00 and his is worth at least twenty-five hundred dollars." However, my little Palmer has gone on vacation with me and I went to a jam session in Oregon with some really terrific musicians, and they all wanted to play my Palmer because it was so small and had a different sound. So good for you for having such a cool instrument. I'm trying to convice myself that I need a new and expensive guitar, but I'd feel guilty spending that kind of money. Is there anything different about a left-handed guitar, other than how you set the strings?
And Andy, don't feel bad because you're never satisfied with your playing. The good musicians never are!

Diane: Go to karaoke with your son. He really wants you to hear him perform. If you don't go to hear him, he probably thinks he's not good enough for you to take the trouble. Don't be put off by the younger crowd, either. They think anyone over 30 is "old." I'm 63, and whenever I go alone to a new karaoke venue, I walk in and get looks from the younger folk as if to say "What are YOU doing here? Get lost?" Then I pick up a book of song lists offered and sit down. Invariably, some well-meaning kid comes over and says: "Oh, are you going to SING?" When I reply that I thought I might try a song or two, the kid pats me kindly on the shoulder and says "GOOD for you!" After I sing, the kids gravitate to my table with the only adjective they know: "Awesome!" And pretty soon I have a table full of kids wanting to tell me their troubles, or show me pictures of their girl/boyfriends.

Stephanie

diem nash
01-23-2002, 10:37 AM
Diane, Stephanie is so right! You should be there seeing your son singing. Itīs so very important for him to have mommy beside. And youīll love it! Believe me!
And if you did, tell us about it! :)
Listen to Stephanie and your little dancing friend! ;)

Stephanie! You always share so wonderful stories! I enjoy reading it. Your heart is on the right place and you have a lot of fun. And you inspire people. Thatīs a gift and so wonderful, that you share it. Iīm so glad, that you found the Planet! Tell us more! And maybe one day you show us a pic of your concerts! Let us be informed about it!
And btw, you are as old as your heart is. So you are never 63!!! ;)

Madeleine

randyandy
01-23-2002, 12:41 PM
Hi Stephanie!

My first Acoustic-Guitar was a "right-hand Guitar":-), I just turned the strings into a Left hand. But I didn't get a well balanced tone by tuning it.
So I have asked a Guitar-workshop what the reason is for my "mistuned instrument".....

And he told that it's the "bridge" (this is at the end of the Guitar-body and its pressed approx. 45 o diagonal into the bridge).

So, thats the main reason for my left-hand problem...

But, Stephanie, go and get such a new guitar because is makes a lot of fun playing it with it's nice and powerfull sound (and it's more comfortable playing and tuning).

Rainy greetings to the sunny (I guess so) California!!

ANDY

randyandy
01-23-2002, 02:06 PM
Hi Madeleine!

So, you're from Germany too!? (Elena told me so in her PM).

So, if you would like to sing, we should have a special-German PG-Forum-Country-Band, shouldn't we?!

But tell me, where are you from in Germany and do you know where I can get some GB-chords or Fan-staff in Germany!

So, einen schönen Abend und paß auf Dich auf!

(so, have a nice evening and take care)

Andy

to all musicians: ...Next phase, new wave, dance trace, anyways...
it's still rock and roll to me. (Billy Joel)

fuzzwuzz
01-23-2002, 02:34 PM
Stephanie, I'm doomed huh? Wow! What a way to go!! You say you NEED to know if I am an inspiring performer? Gee. The only way I know how to answer that is, that I think life itself is your stage, and it's up to you how you make your entrance and then performance as strong as possible, with all the things God gives ya, leaving your mark before the curtain goes down.
Say, Diane? If I get on that stage with ya, maybe then we can live your dream together? Oh! I just remembered a song of Justin Hayward's from his 1977 album Songwriter that I've got to share here! Be right back! Don't go away!

fuzzwuzz
01-23-2002, 02:40 PM
Stage Door
Justin Hayward

A long way we have travelled
Just to see your name in lights
We're writing you this letter
'Cause we're with you tonight

Your Mama misses you so
And your Papa wants you to know
That, Babe
We want you to have your say
We don't want to stand in your way

The last time that we saw you
And we heard those curtain calls
We held hands and we loved you
And we shouted for more

Your Mama, she misses you so
That, Babe

But call us and say
When you're passing this way
And let us still know that you care
Clean sheets on the bed in your room
And a place at the table
And in our hearts

Every night is a first night for someone
Someone's making their debut
On starry eyes, the curtain will rise

That, Babe

But call us and say
When you're passing this way
And let us still know that you care
Clean sheets on the bed in your room
And a place at the table
And in our hearts

Such a long way we have travelled
Just to see your name in lights
We're writing you this letter
'Cause we're with you tonight

That, Babe

Someone's making their debut
On starry eyes the curtain will rise
Someone's bringing the house down
We want you to know
They're stealing the show!

'Cause Babe
We don't want to stand in your way...

diem nash
01-23-2002, 05:13 PM
Jepp! Iīm from good old (?) Germany. But I never sang especially not public! I donīt think, that Iīm real good even if I try to sing with my heart. I never thought about it. Would be very amusing... but not for me! ;)

But very interesting that you do. Maybe Iīll see it one day. The German bunch could meet and have some fun together. I would scream my soul out and applaud as wild as I could, if I see you and your band. :)

"So, if you would like to sing, we should have a special-German PG-Forum-Country-Band, shouldn't we?!"
That would be REAL CRAZY!!! But I like "crazy"! ;)

The rest... Iīll pm you!

"So, einen schönen Abend und paß auf Dich auf!"
Danke! Gleichfalls!

Donīt translate everything. Letīs have our little secrets! ;) But you know what?! Here are more people, who understand it as you think. And some know REAL BAD, BAD words!!!

Have a great time! (You will!)

See you!

Madeleine

littlebit
01-23-2002, 09:20 PM
i love yodelers! My current favorites are Garth (yes, i think he could yodel) SourDough Slim, Curly Musgrave, and The Soggy Bottom Boys.

hehehe and now YOU! :cool: would love to hear you sometime!

those who really know me, know i'm actually shy, but believe it or not i'm a professional pirate. Something happens when i put that costume on.

so i guess i understood right away when Garth said that guy up there on the stage is GB and the other guy off stage is just Garth.

Happens when i dress as a dance hall girl too. :p

i play fiddle (tradtional celtic and american), bodhran, bones and guitar. and sing can sing harmony. And that sweet Cowboy and Stillwater are the reasons i came back to music too. and i love to dance. problem is i dance rock and roll to country music lol. ('cept when i dance with Garth in my dreams, **sigh** :))

if things turn out right, i may have a new gig next month in Ventura. Just found out today. keeping fingers crossed.

countyfair_85
01-23-2002, 11:27 PM
Dale...

Yes, I could imagine us up on stage performing together! LOL :D
The lyrics to that song "Stage Door" remind me in many ways of Garth!
I remember watching Garth perform the song "Turn The Page" in concert Albany NY in April 1997. It reminds me of that song from reading the lyrics. When Garth performed 'Turn The Page', for some reason it felt a bit sad. I know you must remember who orginally sang it...
Anyway, we could perform 'Turn The Page' together! :)

Hey Andy and Maddy...

Since your both from Germany...maybe you can meet up and get a band going! No more radio for the patients Maddy! You can perform live! :D

DeAnnaLynn...

I came back to music because of Garth and Stillwater also...and I dream about them as well. I think we have more in common than you know!
I loved watching Jimmy Mattingly play the fiddle...especially during 'The Fever'! It was great to watch that smoke pour off the fiddle! Can you do that?
Makes me think of the song, "Burning the roadhouse down"...
"One spark from this fiddle bow can set this place on fire!" LOL

Stephanie...

It's great you can establish a conversation with the younger generation after performing. Sounds like many of them need someone to talk to...I think it's wonderful they respond to you like that!
My kids friends have always been open and drawn to me also...I'm 44 and young at heart like you!
I'm sure a trip to one of my sons dart tournaments won't hurt me! :)
I'd love to watch him sing karaoke as well...so, your right, maybe he would feel I don't care or he's not good enough if I don't attend at least one event of his....although he does know better than to think that way! ;)

-Diane

fuzzwuzz
01-24-2002, 01:55 AM
This might sound strange, but it seemed the music came to ME through Chris Gaines. It still does. Like a huge funnel!!! ;)

Diane, that song, Stage Door, by the Moody Blues leader also reminds me too how our parents and loved ones see US as stars in their eyes, and with their belief in us, we can do just about anything. I'll bet it's what helped drive Garth's career. Go encourage your son, ok? Let me know how it goes! And yeah, I'd love to try singing Turn the Page with ya! Or how about Seger's Her Strut? I can SEE Garth rocking out on those killer guitar riffs in that song while we strut singing it with confidence across the stage! Do do do, da, da. Do do do, da da. Do do do do do do do do do, da da. "And oh! They love to watch her strut! They do respect her but, they just LOVE to watch her strut!" Ah! "They'd kill to make the cut! They just love to watch her strut! Oh!!!"
Can't ya just see his face now??!@!! Let's do it!!!

Hey littlebit! Ain't Garth a good dancer? I hope you do good with your music ventures!

You know the old saying, "all the world is a stage"? This is it. Let's put on the performance of our lives before the final curtain. We only live once!

YODELGAL
01-24-2002, 02:40 AM
Hey Fuzzy: I asked if you were a performer or an ASPIRING (wannabe) performer, not whether you were an INSPIRING performer. That's for your audience to know. All performers can do is...what they do. The rest is up to the audience, to either ignore them or support them. In the end, that tells you if you are a success.

Hey Littlebit: Garth certainly is a yodeler. Too bad he didn't do more of it. Personally, I think it's making to comeback, if my experiences are any indication. And I have to tell you . . .following my performances, I have never met so many people from Switzerland and that never happened before! I've even had people travel 200 miles, just to hear yodelling! I'm glad you enjoy it too. It's kinda weird, ya' know.

Stephanie

littlebit
01-24-2002, 11:48 AM
The Planet Garth Jug Band hehehehe yeah we'd sound great!! :) hehehe Brian can be the lead singer. Brian, dude, are you out there?

Dale,

He's a very good dancer :o i would love to hear him sing that song. **littlebit strutting her stuff** lol

Diane,

Ya know when Garth says BAM on the WUIY video? That sums up Jimmy when he plays fiddle perfectly! well, actually it sums up all of them when they play, but Jimmy Mattingly is amazing. And watching himself and Dave Gant gets me really intimidated. i just figured out some of the fiddle to Pushing up Daisies and have some of Calling Baton Rouge but not all of it. i love dancing to the fever live. especially Jimmy's solo in the beginning. That boy must go thru bows like a 6 pack!

i've learned alot of guitar i didnt know cos of watching Garth, James, Steve and Mark play. wish i could pull the strings like Garth does. he's amazing on guitar. and i have the bass down to Papa loved Mama now.

Stephanie,

i love singing harmony to Night Riders Lament with Garth. Sean my son is fine with cowboy music, up till the yodeling starts lol when he's friends come over and i have it on they look at the house with this wierd look on their faces. Especially when i have SourDough Slim on and try to yodel in harmoney. (omg someones killing a poor cat!)

actually when we had some very hard core gang bangers living next door a few yrs back, whenever they would show up and hang out by the brick fence out here we'd put Scottish bag pipe music and yodelers on to make them leave.

worked pretty good, but the gang swat detail finally busted down the doors and arrested most of them.

that worked much better! Came to find out later that one of them was wanted for his part in the Oriental Mafia! :eek:

diem nash
01-24-2002, 04:21 PM
First! I enjoy reading this thread. Itīs real funny and interesting. So many talented people here!

"if things turn out right, i may have a new gig next month in Ventura. Just found out today. keeping fingers crossed."
I wish you good luck, a lot of fun and a damn good time there! Iīll keep my fingers crossed for you, littlebit! :)

"Hey Andy and Maddy...

Since your both from Germany...maybe you can meet up and get a band going! No more radio for the patients Maddy! You can perform live!"
Dane, honey! I canīt speak for Andy, but I SWEAR, if I start to sing it doesnīt help the patients... Iīll better break up here! ;)
***Thinking about it***

Hey, Diane! Letīs create a Planet Garth-Band. So we all can sing together. And we have some real good people here. So if Stephanie and all the others play their instruments loud enough my voice doesnīt hurt somebody! ;)

"I'm 44 and young at heart like you!"
Hey Girlie! YOU ARE SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO RIGHT! :D

Brave, that you listen to Stephanie (If you already donīt listen to your buddy Maddy! ;) ). Tell us, how wonderful your baby was! Okay?

"I remember watching Garth perform the song "Turn The Page" in concert Albany NY in April 1997. It reminds me of that song from reading the lyrics. When Garth performed 'Turn The Page', for some reason it felt a bit sad. I know you must remember who orginally sang it..."
Diane, my friend, could you tell me something about it?

Littlebit, nice Yodel-Story!

Madeleine

ProducerJ
01-25-2002, 12:08 AM
I do believe this is my first time ever in the Musician's forum... I don't know what drew me in here tonight, but, since I'm here.....

If y'all form a band I want to direct the music video! Ok?
J.

fuzzwuzz
01-25-2002, 12:27 AM
Joyce! I guess I just went from 'inspiring' to 'aspiring' now that you are here too! ;)

randyandy
01-26-2002, 07:17 AM
Hi everybody!

Now I'm having nearly all chords for Garth songs!!!!!

I did try to perform by yesterday with my lovely wife and some friends, it was great....:cool:

.....but some words and tones too are very heavy staff for me
(to sing)!

Hey Maddy! Since you've located in Halle, schreib' mal nen Sächschen
Test dazu *LOL*

I'm now working seriously on Rodeo or Mexico and
"What she's doing now"!

So please get your fingers crossed for my favourite German-Soccer-Team...they'll have a real important Game at 3.30 p.m. (Central European Time)in Munich!!!!!!!

Thank you!

Andy

YODELGAL
01-26-2002, 03:11 PM
Joyce, You say you want to direct a video? Have you had any experience at that? The reason I'm asking is, a person who heard me sing at one of my venues told me that I should have a recording contract. When I thanked her for such a nice compliment, she replied:"No, REALLY. I happen to know a lot of people in the music business, and if you'll get me a demo, I'll see that someone gives you a recording contract." I responded by saying that any contract I get at my age (63) will have to have a clause that I get one of those fancy touring coaches (No way am I going to rough it). So I am doing the demo today. I figure you have to chase your dreams even though my real gut reaction is "Fat Chance!" Anyhow, if it came to making a video, Joyce, I'll certainly consider hiring you. Got any good ideas of how to do it? I'd hate to have to go through what Garth did on "The Red Strokes." I'm not that brave.

Littlebit: Do you happen to belong to the California Old Time Fiddler's Association? If not, I can hook you up. And do let me know if you ever get a gig in northern California, and I'll be there!

Fuzzy: I'm still not clear if you are a performer, or not. If not, why not? If so ....explain. Do you perform with live music? Karaoke? Huh?

Madeleine: I have to say that my reaction to all your comments at all the venues is that if I could have a thousand Madeleines at my gigs, I'd be famous! You are the ideal audience.

Stephanie

littlebit
01-26-2002, 04:29 PM
Andy,

hope your team won

J, a video? really? That would be sooo :cool:

Madeleine,

Thanks, i appreciate that! lol i need all the help i can git!

Dale,

hehehe, you and me, two mics, and Friends in Low Places on the Karaoke machine! you sing lead, i'll sing harmony and play Jameson's part on electric guitar.

YodelGal,

i wish you all the luck on your demo. Keeping my fingers crossed for you.

most of what we do is down here in S. Ca but if i ever get up that way i would love to hear you sing. :)

and nope, just belong to the Brethren of the Coast and soon to be SASS member.

i hope to be at the Calico days in Calico, CA this year, cos i was asked to come back and be in the parade this year. And i hope to be at the End of the Trail 2002 this fall. if i become a SASS member. (big IF right now) i will probably be at more cowboy affairs than pirate cos i've noticed people there are usually more friendlier.

As far as the pirates go, they are pros, i'm an amatuer fiddler. i was asked to stay on cos i've been a member of BOC for several years.
Right now, i've been shainghied to do their web-site which i'm working on now. but i'm known to play at whale watches and dinner cruises on my own when asked, and hope to be part of the Tall Ships Festival next month. We blew them away at the Dana Point one. :)

when i'm a pirate my name is "McAleen O'Malley" (at yer service)

and when i'm a dancehall girl or outlaw i'm "Littlebit"

and ya'll are welcome to join me if you see me out there. :) one note to the fella's tho. . .

i KNOW how use my sword, and (musha i hate to admit this) i'm good with a gun.

LOL, So you mind yer manners! :p

diem nash
01-26-2002, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by randyandy

Hey Maddy! Since you've located in Halle, schreib' mal nen Sächschen
Test dazu *LOL*

Hey!!! Betrayer!!!
And I speak clear German (In my dreams! ;) ) But Iīm better in German than in german English! ;) (Insider joke!) :p

BTW, I donīt live there any longer! I live on another Planet yet! ;)

Munich Soccer Team! LOSERS!!!!!!!!!! :p

Maddy

diem nash
01-26-2002, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by YODELGAL
Joyce, You say you want to direct a video? Have you had any experience at that? The reason I'm asking is, a person who heard me sing at one of my venues told me that I should have a recording contract. When I thanked her for such a nice compliment, she replied:"No, REALLY. I happen to know a lot of people in the music business, and if you'll get me a demo, I'll see that someone gives you a recording contract." I responded by saying that any contract I get at my age (63) will have to have a clause that I get one of those fancy touring coaches (No way am I going to rough it). So I am doing the demo today. I figure you have to chase your dreams even though my real gut reaction is "Fat Chance!" Anyhow, if it came to making a video, Joyce, I'll certainly consider hiring you. Got any good ideas of how to do it? I'd hate to have to go through what Garth did on "The Red Strokes." I'm not that brave.

Stephanie, LIVE YOUR DREAMS!!! Go, girl!!!
I really wanna see you performing!!! I told you earlier, that I think, that itīs real cool to sing Garthīs songs as a girl, sorry, woman! ;) Especially you with your garthy heart!!!
And yeah! Poor Garth there at the set of "The red strokes". I have the video with the "making of-story". I saw him freezing and suffering! He looked so lost! It touched my nursy and hurt my garthy heart! Iīm so very happy, that he "survived" it! :D

Madeleine: I have to say that my reaction to all your comments at all the venues is that if I could have a thousand Madeleines at my gigs, I'd be famous! You are the ideal audience.[/B]

Stephanie, can you see my face turning into red and me looking very ashamed?! I would be a real cool fan, wouldnīt I?! ;)
But hey, I donīt like to be a "fan"! It comes from fanatic and Iīm not! I am even not a Garth-Fan. I call myself a Garth-Friend and a Garth-Believer. Thatīs me! And I would rock the house, if I could be there seeing you. With my heart I will. And you will hear me screaming: "Go, Stephanie, go! YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" Youīll see!

Iīm listening to "Do you love me" from "Dirty Dancing" (repeat-modus)! What does that mean?! Can you see me and Garth dancing?! ;)

Huggs!

Maddy (Friends can call me this name. So if you like...)

randyandy
01-27-2002, 07:05 AM
Hey everybody:

Steph!

Nice to hear that you gonna do a demo-tape, I know you'll get a recording-contract (at CBS?)
When will you go for your 1st. world tour? let me know so that I can join a of your concerts! (Madison Square Garden or CENTRAL PARK):cool:

Maddy,

hey, hab' Dir ne' PM geschickt, Du kleiner Schnarchzahn, DU!

Little Bit,

administrator told me, that you're mailbox is currently full!!!!!

I've got the link for A L L Garth-songs (chords for guitar):

http://www.roughstock.com/cowpie/cowpie-songs/b/brooks_garth/

:cool:

The Colognies lost their game against Munich, now it will be very difficult to stay in the German-1st.-division.....

to all the americans out there:

Are you interested in hockey?
Have got my tickets for the "Cologne-Arena" for the game in April
Germany : U S A, just come over guys, cross the ocean and let's have soom beer and watching hockey *LOL*

We all wish you luck for the Olympic-games in Salt Lake City,
but not too MUCH success! *LOL*

Brian, buddy:

tack s' mycke för din E-Mail, send you a PM, later on, hej du!

Have a nice sunday, all together

Go now take a shower and then we'll keep on going to watch national Hockey Cologne sharks : Düsseldorf!!

Andy

diem nash
01-27-2002, 09:11 AM
Steph!

Nice to hear that you gonna do a demo-tape, I know you'll get a recording-contract (at CBS?)
When will you go for your 1st. world tour? let me know so that I can join a of your concerts! (Madison Square Garden or CENTRAL PARK)

Count me in!!! Iīll be there!!! :D

Maddy,

hey, hab' Dir ne' PM geschickt, Du kleiner Schnarchzahn, DU!
[/B]
Schnarchzahn?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Itīs not very kind to talk in this way with a LADY!!! Someone calls me Schatzi (NOT YOU!!!), what I like much, much more!!! ;)
But seriously! We are brothers and sisters here. So does it mean, that you are allowed to call me that?! I need to ask our Princess!!! (Final warning, he?! Are you scared yet?! You should! :p )

The Colognies lost their game against Munich, now it will be very difficult to stay in the German-1st.-division.....
[/B]
Yet you can call me "Schnarchzahn"! You know, why?! Itīs sooooooo boring!!! And what did I tell you! LOOSERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :p

to all the americans out there:
Are you interested in hockey?
Have got my tickets for the "Cologne-Arena" for the game in April
Germany : U S A, just come over guys, cross the ocean and let's have soom beer and watching hockey *LOL*
[/B]
Yeah! Show the world, what a german man is!!! Beer & woman!!! :p

Always very kind and lovely!
Maddy

fuzzwuzz
01-28-2002, 12:22 AM
Stephanie, again, the only way I know how to answer is to say I 'perform' for my 'Dad' in heaven, Who is ever watching me and Who I long to please wherever this 'stage' takes me. It's His applause I follow. And it's a big world. A big stage. With a very big-hearted Father looking over the whole thing. We all play our parts. I'm still learning my lines yet.

randyandy
01-28-2002, 05:20 AM
Hallo SCHATZI-MAUSI!

Did you've ever heard about a word called "HUMOR"...
I guess not!

So, not every men who likes "sports" (hockey and soccer),
is a "MACHO"!!!

I'm very interesting in German and American hockey but mostly drinking a good French or Italian red wine (only sometimes drinking beer).

..so I'm very sorry treated you not like a real L A D Y, Mam'!

But...are you really a L A D Y??

OK! But, I still would love to hold on with communicating with you,
because you are a very nice person...

Talking about Music....thank you once again for your time, searching that Garth-chords-link for me!

If I can help you with something, please let me know!

Thousand Kisses,

Andy :cool:

diem nash
01-28-2002, 06:59 AM
Did you've ever heard about a word called "HUMOR"...
I guess not!
NO! NEVER!!! ;)

But...are you really a L A D Y??[/B]
Yes! For the right man or friends I can. Ooops!!! Itīs not you! ;)

OK! But, I still would love to hold on with communicating with you,
because you are a very nice person...[/B]
Huuuh, how scary!!! Or should I better say: "Thank you for beeing such a great person, Andy!"???

Talking about Music....thank you once again for your time, searching that Garth-chords-link for me![/B]
I help and care, where ever I can. Thatīs me!

If I can help you with something, please let me know![/B]
Yes! Donīt call me Schatzi! Itīs not your part, my friend! :)

Thousand Kisses![/B]
For whom? Who wanna have so many kisses from you? Is there someone out?! (*Thinking: Canīt believe that!*)

Back to the topic!
Where are you, Stephanie???

See you all!

Maddy

randyandy
01-29-2002, 10:50 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by diem nash
[

Huuuh, how scary!!! Or should I better say: "Thank you for beeing such a great person, Andy!"??? Thank you, SCHATZI!

I help and care, where ever I can. Thatīs me! EIGENLOB STINKT!!

Yes! Donīt call me Schatzi! Itīs not your part, my friend! :)
>>> Are you getting angry, SCHATZI??

For whom? Who wanna have so many kisses from you? Is there someone out?! (*Thinking: Canīt believe that!*)
>>My lovely wife...(you may ask, but in german because she doesn't speak English!) and...she always want different "things" from me :cool:

Back to the topic!
>>>JJJJENAU!

BUT I REALLY DON'T MENT TO UPSET YOU, L A D Y!!!!

YODELGAL
01-29-2002, 02:40 PM
As delightful as it is to talk to all of you and to "listen" to your flirtations with one another, I must say I am disappointed that there aren't more actual performers out there to swap stories and ideas with regarding what we do, and what we've learned from watching Garth, who of course is a natural . . . but then, he also lists those from whom he has learned.

So . . . because this thread is getting too long, so that if a performer sees it for the first time, he/she might give up before getting to the end, I'm going to start a new thread on a more specific subject: What does Garth do on stage that so endears him to us, and which brings him so many fans? Ta ta!

Stephanie

fuzzwuzz
01-31-2002, 12:52 AM
But Stephanie, you don't understand. For most of us, this is the only REAL stage we will ever have. And what's more, I believe it's the one Garth would prefer to be with us now. And with his scriptwriting I'm sure he is taking us with him onto that screen, in each actor/actress and every emotion they put into his characters. To Garth, WE are the stars. Isn't that why Chris Gaines has gotta do what he's gonna do, for the fans who love him? And why she is the star in The Lamb, not him? Don't you know we are all Almost Famous in his eyes? But are we in our own and each other's I guess is the problem here?

YODELGAL
01-31-2002, 03:06 AM
Dearest Fuzzwuzz: I DO understand where you are coming from, and I can't argue with what you say. But this forum is entitled "Musician's Forum". I also banter on the other Garth forums, but on this particular forum, I want to banter with other musicians, and other performers, if I can find them. I am looking to improve what I do in front of an audience, by way of Garth experiences . . . I sing his songs, I awaken others to hear his music and thus gain even more fans for him and for his message. To be effective in doing that, I need to improve my own performances; you know, like in the world of reality, rather than the delightful fantasy we all engage in. So PLEASE do not think you are being slighted in any way. You/we are THE AUDIENCE, without which a performer is merely a lonely figure on a bare landscape.

Stephanie

no1cowgirl
01-31-2002, 01:58 PM
Hey Stephanie, dear :) I didn't catch this thread up until now, so I thought I'd pipe up also. I'm a singer and lyricist myself...learning how to play the guitar as of now. I recorded down in Nashville in February of 2000 with an independent record label. Been performing since I was 6 or so, and I'm taking a trip to NY very soon (Oy! Two weeks away) to sing at Carnegie Hall. :)

I think the thing that makes Garth such a good performer (getting back to your original question at the beginning of the thread), is the way he connects with people. This is obvious to all of us here. But I think that connection, in turn makes you pick up on things that you usually wouldn't. The personal connection you feel with him almost makes you feel like he's singing to you, and in turn, teaching you in a way. You pick up on the small things. When it all comes down to it, though, it's about the music--you feel the music, it touches you, and you learn from that, too...the music teaches you on multiple levels. If you feel the music, or enjoy something, you learn easier, and are more open. :)

Just my 7 cents, if it made sense at all ;)

Krista

fuzzwuzz
02-01-2002, 02:59 AM
Stephanie, Yeah, well what about us fans left out on that bare lonely landscape? You act as if I don't belong here, but it is my home, same as you.
.I sing his songs, I awaken others to hear his music and thus gain even more fans for him and for his message. To be effective in doing that, I need to improve my own performances; you know, like in the world of reality, rather than the delightful fantasy we all engage in.What I do for Garth's music is just as real as what you are doing. In fact, maybe even more so. And I don't need a big audience to do it. Being on the other side of the stage is just as important in fighting for the music like Garth has taught me. I don't want the spotlight, only a bit of respect as your equal. Thank you very much! Hope you enjoy the show! I may never get to see or hear yours.

fuzzwuzz
02-01-2002, 03:25 AM
You know Stephanie, it would be really silly to argue over this, but I do want to point out one more thing and then I'll go away.
You made it very clear the stage is not real to you without an audience. Is that your real world then, the stage only? It's nice you want to learn more from other performers, but don't forget the ones giving your fantasy it's realness, the people. That's Garth's true trademark, listening to the people. So where where does it become for the audience then? What I do is real, even if you don't recognize it as such. We just do it different. It's like what John Lodge says about The Moody Blues song, "I'm Just a Singer(in a rock n' roll band.) If we could, we'd all be on stage, together.
I'm glad you are singing your heart out for Garth. But like I said, while you are there, the fans shine here too while you are out doing it.

YODELGAL
02-01-2002, 11:23 PM
Fuzzwuzz: You are preaching to the converted. We don't disagree. The performer brings the message to the audience, which spreads the message, then returns it to the performer, etc., etc., etc. It is a symbiotic relationship, neither one being superior to the other. Got it!

Stephanie

YODELGAL
02-01-2002, 11:28 PM
Krista: I'd like very much to hear your comments on the next thread, about what Garth does on stage that attracts you to him, and perhaps how you use it in your own performances. Carnegie Hall? Wow! Tell us more! Your own album? Tell us more! Do you do any Garth songs, or do you do a different style? DO TELL US MORE! PLEASE!!

As for your comments about Garth, I do agree, and I'm trying to find out how he does it, and why he does it so much better than anyone else. Are you able to do any of those things, too?

Stephanie

fuzzwuzz
02-01-2002, 11:42 PM
Stephanie, if I am misunderstanding you I am sorry. I got the impression you think some of us are 'bantering' on your 'turf'. Living in a fantasy world compared to you. And you are right, without the fans, it's barren alright. Right here on this thread. Bye!

Dale R.

YODELGAL
02-02-2002, 03:54 PM
O>K. Fuzzwuzz. I'll let you have the last word.

Fondly, Stephanie

diem nash
02-02-2002, 04:11 PM
Blood is thicker than water
Oh, but love is thicker than blood!

Maddy

fuzzwuzz
02-02-2002, 10:53 PM
Stephanie, ok. thanks. But may I change my 'famous' last words to "I'm sorry."? :( Now we can both drop it together and start over elsewhere. :) Godbless, Dale

littlebit
02-12-2002, 11:31 AM
this is what Garth and Stillwater gave me as far as performing. i have to say that while Garth taught me alot, James Garver's stage presence also taught me quite a bit. (Thank you Jameson)

and please remember Garth was not the only one up on the stage. there were other's there that did more than their share too, who i miss very much

From the book Zen flesh and Zen bones a collection of Zen and pre Zen writings by Paul Reps.

True Friends

a long time ago in China there were two friends; one who played the harp skillfully and one who listened skillfully.

When one played or sang about a mountain the other would say:

"i can see the mountain before us"

When the one played about the water, the listener would exclaim

"Here is the running stream!"

But the listener fell sick and died.

The first friend cut the strings of his harp and never played again.

Since that time the cutting of harp strings has always been a sign of intimate freindship.

**okey, littlebit cutting the first string "PLIIINNNGGG!" holding up a pair of scissors**. . . (that was for me and Brian)

in the vein of friendship btwn those who play and those who listen would anyone else like to cut a string? lord knows there's plenty of strings here to be cut :)

fuzzwuzz
02-12-2002, 01:58 PM
You are right littlebit. The music doesn't sound the same without Brian. Cut them ALL!!!

littlebit
02-12-2002, 05:24 PM
Dale, :)

'k step back then cos these strings are gonna fly! :)

ready?

'k

This is for all listener's & performer's, near & far, dear to our hearts, in friendship and peace

**littlebit closes her eyes and ...**

'TWAAANNGG!!!!'

and as of now all songs and tunes played this Sunday at the Ventura Tall ships Festival is dedicated to:

All OF YOU! :p

**being dragged away by my collar**

okey! okey! back to rehearsal! musha! :rolleyes:

YODELGAL
02-13-2002, 03:49 PM
Littlebit: First, let me agree with you about James Garver's stage presence. It always annoyed me, when I watched videos of rock performers, that they all try to upstage each other, rather than support each other. Garver always added to the joy on the stage, and flashed his wonderful smile at the audience, but he never tried to upstage Garth. And the fact that Garth ALWAYS acknowledges his musicians (which I've noticed that most other performers NEVER do) might be one of the reasons they are willing to let him have the spotlight . . .cuz they know they'll get their turn at some time during the show. I am often on stage with other musicians, some of whom are playing with me for the first time, and I am so appreciative that they will do that, that I thank them both publicly and privately. As a result, I never have any problem getting musicians to back me up (an unexpected reward). And when I back up other singers, I dim my light and let them shine, watching them rather than the audience most of the time. So I get asked again when a backup guitar, or harmony, is needed.

I would still like to hear a bit more about what you do on stage, and what your audiences are like. Are they a real mixed bag, old and young, male and female? Have you ever had anyone ask for your autograph? If so, how did that make you feel? Do you talk to audience members after your performance? If so, what do you, and they, say? What type of music to you play, or like to play? Do you regularly play with other musicians as a band, or is it strictly jamming?

Stephanie

littlebit
02-13-2002, 06:32 PM
Stephanie,

Every one of them played their respective instuments to each other and James just has a way of playing and moving with his guitar. He played to Garths voice and the rest of the guys just perfect. He does have a beautiful smile and a pic with those two smiling is double dangerous!

**littlebit fanning herself, 'dont melt, don't melt'**

And yeah no upstaging, not by Garth nor the others. One of the reasons i haven't followed P. McCartney for years is cos of how he treated his band members.

Me, i'm one of those musicians that tend to stay in the background depending on what were doing. i may be a little crazier this time. hehehe who knows. we usually ain't on a stage actually. Either it's aboard a ship or land locked at fairs. Some of the others do belly dancing gigs around the la area too. i only know a few belly danceing moves tho.

At the Ventura tall ship's this weekend, we won't have an encampment or anything. We just come and swoop right on it. Find a place to muster, get the motely crew's attention and start marching thru the faire, singing real sea chanties at the top of our lungs in full costume. Sometimes we dance, sometimes just sing, sometimes we do skits. We have a lobster that sits on Captains shoulder and talks (yup like the Baja commerical, but we did it FIRST!)

Afterwards we dissperse amongst everyone. Some of us doxies (we ain't wenches) find some unsuspecting guy and gather round asking his girlfriend how much gold will it take to sell him, the guys do the same. Sometimes we stage choergraphed sword fights and kidnappings.

People ask for pics, the kids are usually wide eyed and shy. i like to buy a big bag of gold chocolate coins, put them in the freezer, stick in my pouch and hand them to the kids. Makes all of use knarly pirates a little less frightning to them :)

i've had compliments on my playing and costume. (we all make our costumes) we started outas history re enactment and just lately decided it wouldn't be a club anymore but a serious theatical group. altho truth be told , i am a amatuer fiddler :) they are professionals, so i've never had anyone ask for autograph, if they did i'd probably be very flustered. :o

i have learned since i did the last two gigs to start taking business cards with me, becos i've been asked for them. If we do the San Juan Capistrano gig, Mar 23, we'll be in the parade and then who knows?

As far as the cowboy stuff. Well, my grandpa was a hired gun out of Montana and settled in S. Carolina. And i'm just finding out about what it was like in his time. i have a dance hall costume and i'm working on making a outlaw costume, but money is tight right now.

i know now i will definetly be at End of The Trail 2002 in April. we will be full SASS members by then. And Calico Days in Calico in October. Chuck wants to camp, which i'm kinda spooked to do, cos the campground in right at the foot of the REAL boothill cemetary. And i don't like the idea of being that close at NIGHT! lol

At this point we're in the parade at Calico, but i hope maybe to get into music and they do have a piano outside Lil's saloon, and might ask if i can sing red river valley. we will have to see. As far as Eott2002, while i'm goin to hear the music mostly and get some patterns hopefully.

gotta find a way to get up there to hear you! Alot of yodeling goes on at EOTT. :)

YODELGAL
02-14-2002, 01:17 PM
Littlebit:

Sorry for my ignorance, but what and where exactly is End of the Trail (EOTT)? And what is SASS? I know we tend to use initials alot, and sometimes it takes me a few minutes to decipher them in my mind (e.g., like SMI for "Squeeze Me In" and WYCBTMA for "when You Come Back To Me Again.").

I am intrigued by your performance art; it's quite different from what I do, more "comprehensive", I think. And the fact that you make your own costumes raises my envy...I can just barely sew on a button! For Halloween, I would make my kids' costumes by using crepe paper and a stapler, not to mention scotch tape! And I'll just bet your house is always neat and tidy, too (another things I seem unable to attain).

Besides your fiddle, what are the other instruments? I still don't have a full picture.

You are right about having a business card handy, too. My husband makes them on the computer for me and they're really cute! So I always have at least 10 on hand, because if I give out one, invariably someone seeing this will ask for one too. Weird, huh?

Well, keep the news coming. It's really nice to talk with someone else who is out there in front of people and making them smile.

Stephanie

littlebit
02-16-2002, 07:10 PM
Stephanie,

Sass stands for single action shooting society. this link will explain it all for you and anyone else interested.

http://www.sassnet.com it also has the info the End of the Trail.

i'm not big on guns as people here can tell you, altho i know how to use one pretty well (grandpa would be proud) i'm into the music, (just like with the pirates. i don't swordfight much, but i can use it.) Chuck and Sean however like guns (oh where did i go wrong?) and Chuck has a full rig and .45 colt. Sean has a non firing copy of a 1800 confederate issue .45. the only gun i own is a black powder .45 ball and cap. the kind you have to put the gun powder in and stuff the ball down the barrel. i don't fire it. i don't hardly wear it, i got as a Yule gift, but i hate guns.

and the ironic thing is i failed sewing in high school. But if my teacher could see my costuming now she'd probably die of total shock!lol. i have a trophy for best Irish costume for the Irish faire held here in S. Ca every year. i do cosutmeing for those who don't sew and we get our resources from history. But i like doing it most when its for fun and not work. Sean has a million kids ones from Bill Nye the Science Guy to Two Face from Batman. He went as Garth one year, his face painted like a flag. Everyone knew immediatly who he was supposed to be. Funny how you can teach yourself something you didn't think you'd ever be able to do, if you want to bad enough :p

its soooo funny when the older kids come up wanting to know how we do this and we tell them "well, ya'know that history book in your locker?" and the shocked look that comes on their face. Teacher's that are nearby that hear this get a really big kick of it :p

My house lol looks like a bomb exploded even on good days! especially when i'm sewing on something. My next project is chaps for me and sean and a duster for me. Then some breeches for all of us and shirts. We all have vests already. And ya'know, if you can make a costume the way you describe, i think that's cool! What imagination! Totally cool.

as far as other instruments, i play guitar and bass, but Captain won't let me use one, cos it aint period :rolleyes: But we do have a guy that has a hurdy gurdy (which has an awesome sound) i play bones & bodhran. i could play mandolin (if i had one) and i'd like to learn to play the banjo. we have some friends who show up occasionally that play recorders, tin whistles and bagpipes. and we all sing (in tune or not lol) at the top of our lungs.

The nice thing to is that becos of my involvement in this, Sean has very keen sense of history. He loves to watch the History Channel. He just saved up his allowance recently to buy a Russian Officers Hat. It cost him $50.00 becos it's a the real deal. i'd rather he spent it on that than a violent computer game.

well i best get, i'm supposed to be rehearsing! :o

fuzzwuzz
02-16-2002, 10:03 PM
deAnnalynn! I loved that site's purpose: "we aim to preserve and promote the spirit of the old west"."Let's keep the wild west alive!" Can you tell us more about that spirit?

YODELGAL
02-20-2002, 08:03 PM
Littlebit: How delightful that you've gotten Sean so interested in what you do. I don't get an idea of how old he is, but you never know what your kids are absorbing till they're all grown up. One of my daughters has her own singing-telegram company and goes out (some times with her 5-yr-old, or 2-yr-old along for the fun). As a matter of fact, I had my 5-yr-old granddaughter get up and sing "sally the camel" before about 250 people at an Old Time Fiddlers event, and she was perfect..on key, on beat, and most interesting of all, not a bit nervous. You see, because she had gone out with her mother to singing telegrams so many times, she thought that EVERYBODY does it, so to her it was the most natural thing in the world. Keep up the conversation, here or elsewhere!

Stephanie

littlebit
02-21-2002, 07:14 PM
Stephanie,

That is really cool! i'd love to get on of her telegrams some day. Sean is alot more shyer about getting up in front of people, even tho he sings pretty good and all

He's 10 and got caught up in history by accident. He found a N. Geographic magazine that had a story about the Titanic when it was first found. He had absorbed every little fact from the building of the ship to way she sank way before the movie was even out. His 4th grade teacher, dresses up as the historical figure they are studying that day, and encouraged him to do the same when he was in her class. They were Molly Brown and Jack Dawson on the anniverary that year.

Same for cowboys, he saw the movie Young Guns and has been hooked on cowboys since then. He's proud that my grandpa ,who was a cowboy, was a hired gun like Billy. (hopefully, he'll grow out of that, i AM trying!) He's biting at the bit to go the EOTT and Calico. So is his dad lol Doesn't matter how old you are, the kid is still inside, 'specially when it comes to cowboys and pirates.

Dale,

It's on a real ranch. Not a park, which is really cool. alot of the people i met at EEOT are very nice people. And they try to keep things historically correct. From the saloon and the faro tables and games to the costuming, and the performances. It's a great place to people watch too.

Last year there was one cowboy who looked so much like James Garver i did a couple of double takes! And they are family orientated, and no alcohol is served there. All the shooting takes place down and away from the rest of the faire. They have a corral where they had some people doing stunts on horses. And lots of booths for us ladies to drool over. And alot of the western actors who starred in alot of movies and tv. There is also a dance at the end. at first, i was really nervous cos of the gun booths, there are alot of them. But all the guns are tethered or locked in a case, and kids ain't allowed to handle them without a parent there. In fact, you can't carry a gun unless you are shooting in the competition.

i hope the guy that looks just like John Wayne comes this year, cos this time i want a pic. :)

fuzzwuzz
02-21-2002, 07:37 PM
That sounds very interesting deAnnalyn. But what's a faro table? And just what kind of hired-gun/cowboy was your Grandpa? Sounds fascinating. It makes these cowboy songs I now listen to seem more real than just stories told around the campfire.

YODELGAL
02-22-2002, 05:07 PM
Littlebit: Your son sounds sooo cool. Isn't it great that no one told him he's not supposed to like history? I know I now wish I had learned more when I was younger. Can't seem to cram into my life all the things I have yet to do, either, darn it! I'll bet he'll grow up to pursue a career that is somehow related to what he's doing now. Our oldest daughter use to be a "couch potato" at that age, just wanting to watch TV all the time, ESPECIALLY the commercials. She had them all memorized. When she grew up, she ended up working for George Lucas Film Company (ILM...Industrial Light And Magic) making...you guessed it...commercials! So you never know.

And exactly WHERE is this magical place of which you speak? I'd love to show up some time. Southern Cal. is not that far away.

Love, Stephanie

littlebit
02-23-2002, 03:36 PM
Stephanie,

The funny thing is, I never learned history till i started going to the faires. i couldn't tell you 15th from 16th century or who did what, till then. Funny how much your willing to learn when you want to. :p

Sean gets teased alot, cos he wears his hair in a beatle cut, and just aced a test in S.Studies. And he's different from the other kids, in he would rather use his imagination then play videos or gameboy. Hes into music and not sports. And doesn't like to play games when it comes to friendship.

(he just came in to get his electric guitar, his friend Cory has an acoustic one and i guess he's goin over there to jam :) )

It's at Raahauges Ranch, Norco, CA April 17,18,19,20,and 21rst

wish i could go the whole week, but i'm hopin to be there at least Fri 20 and Sat. 21

Sat for sure.

if things go right, (lord willin and the creeks don't rise :rolleyes: )

we hope to go to the Cowboy Ball that Saturday night. Still workin on that part tho.

Dale,

faro, i think, is a card game. Since i don't gamble (i've been to Vegas once, lost all of my measly $60.) im not sure how it's played. It does make things come alive listening to the songs especially. And the poetry too.

i'm learning bits and pieces about my grandfather. i remember he was no one anyone messed with. And that no one messed with my mom or us kids when he was around. He was kind and like to laugh, sing and play music.

My older sister has seen a pic i guess my dad has, that shows him at about 17 or so, with two belts with bullets crossed over his chest. She said he was a hired gun in Montana for farmers during the cattle wars, and settled down in the Carolinas afterwards.

this is what my sister tells me anyway. As i dont go near my dad, i can't get the pic. i'm goin by what she's learned. that side of the family doesn't exactly like us, so they aint to forthcoming about things.

but ya'know i honestly can't think of my grandpa that way

fuzzwuzz
02-23-2002, 10:07 PM
littlebit, it sounds like you and Sean got the best of your Grandpa in ya's both, that's for sure!

YODELGAL
02-24-2002, 03:35 AM
Well waddayou know? April 20th just happens to be my birthday! I'll look up where Norco is and...who knows?

Stephanie

littlebit
02-27-2002, 12:35 AM
Dale,

:) i hope so, cos the way i remember it he was one cool dude.

lol

Stephanie,

Wow, your birthday! Cool! hope you can make it!

YODELGAL
02-28-2002, 02:23 AM
Hey, Everybody. Here I go changing the subject again. I just had a most interesting singing experience. You may have heard me mention my nephew, who is assoc. director for the musical "Kiss Me Kate" that is now touring the country. I got to sit in the orchestra pit with him during a performance here in Sacramento. He is now doing the show in San Francisco, about two hours drive from here. He invited me into town to go with him to a piano bar where I could sing, and maybe they would let him accompany me for a song or two. What fun! So I did.

What my gay nephew forgot to mention I discovered when I walked in and noticed that there were only men there! The little devil had enticed me into a gay bar!

There were other singers there to perform with that particular pianist, who told raunchy jokes and knew and sang all the lyrics of the musical "Hello Dolly", with accompaning facial expressions and eye-rolling. It was hilarious. My nephew Bruce introduced himself to the pianist and told him that I would sing if they'd let me. Talk about an enthusiastic audience. They whooped and hollered, and clapped and laughed. I sat down after three songs and a man came over and told me he and his partner were celebrating 20 years together, and would I sing a song for them? So I dedicated "When I Fall In Love" to them and they both cried throughout. Then they asked for my business card or address, and permission to send me flowers for making their anniversary so special. I should get them tomorrow.

I asked if Bruce could accompany me in a song or two, since he had never done so before, and he did, and we did, and it was terrific. For the evening, everyone referred to me as "Aunt Stephanie". So sorry Bruce is on to San Diego with the show. If any of you get a chance to see the show, during intermission, or immediately after last curtain, holler into the orchestra pit for Bruce Barnes, and tell him he's famous on the internet! He would be so surprised.

Best to all. Stephanie

littlebit
03-01-2002, 07:52 PM
Very :cool:! Stephanie! Wow, to sing something like that for someone and get to them that way.

Now, i KNOW i GOTTA hear you sing!

cntrypoet
03-05-2002, 03:03 AM
Well by my handle you might have guessed what i'm all about :P

I"m a poet, a wrighter in genral, and defenently a dreamer. I have absolutly NO musical tallents outher than knowing what sounds good. i cant even tell the differnce betwean a full note and an eighth note! But lyrics, I understand thoes perfictly.

I love a song that is hevy in mediphores, like the dance. or symbolism, like Thunder Rools or Red Stroaks. SOngs have to have heart, and perhaps thats what makes GB stand apart. HE seems to chose songs that tug at your heart, that say sompthing, that mean sompthing.

I dont know if i can realate to all of you as preformers, but i can tell you that you are in a worthy profesion. I would encurage you to stand apart, n not only by preformence or style, but in content.

As for thoes of you with more life experance than thoes you entertain, I would encurage you to stand firm, and PROUD. You kbnow many in my generation X, say that they dont need there elders, that we know better, that we can make things better on our own. Unfortanatly because of this many have come to think that they are not wanted, or needed.

Truth be told, my generation is mooving at a pace that we cant handle, we dont see people in our world, we see ss# or SID# or whatever. I admire people who are able to go through life, knowing people insted of numbers and web adresses!

It's no wonder that people come up to you after your singing, YOu may sing like and angel, but the fact that you do it at all says volums. I dont know why, but theres sompthing intreaging about a person who will go after sompthing, when outehrs tell them not to! something intreaging about thoes who fight, when there told that they cant win.
dont let anyone tell you your to old for a dream. you cant run for presedent of the united states untell your over the hill :)

ps. FOR ALL OF THOES WHO STOOD WITH AMERICA DURING WWII, THE WORLD OWS YOU. TO THOES LOOKING FORWARD TO 20'SOMPTHING THE WORLLD WILL SOON BE YOURS . AND TO THE CHILDREN, DONT LET ANYONE BREAK YOUR SPIRIT.

fuzzwuzz
03-05-2002, 12:11 PM
But what about those of us not of this world but of The Brave New World that's coming? ;)

cntrypoet
03-05-2002, 03:50 PM
the world is only as brave as thoes who stand in ledership

and iof you think that a brave new world is comming, let it come? I am anxous to see gen X become brave, however i fear ther bravery is misplaced? i hardly consider tering down the values of preveous centery brave, it is holding them up thats brave! I will only define my genoration as brave, when we give the true heros of out day their just due, and the celebertys their right place! Why do we think people like Magic JOhnson is a hero? how can we say that Britny spears stands for anything? Do we realy care if the world crumbles around us?

YODELGAL
03-06-2002, 03:28 AM
Every generation thinks their time is coming. got news. Your time is now, just like mine and everybody else's You make your mark every day. What you do every day affects others, hopefully for the better. I happen to think that the purpose on this earth is to advance the species, one person at a time and the way to do it is to be the best person you can be, and take every opportunity to help whomever needs it, in whatever way you can. What I often fail at is stopping myself from being "preachy." Sorry folks!

Stephanie

cntrypoet
03-06-2002, 09:47 PM
ok so you gotme! actualy I ahare your sentement.

We all make a difference in peoples lives every day, frome saying hello to the store clirk, to helping a child learn, to sharing our heart.

I was only sugesting that your generateion made a differnce in this world that, some would argue, my generation may never get the chance to do. YOu are a generation who lived through the depresion, and stood up in the face of an evel that thretend to enslave the world and destroy a race. I wonder if my generation has the currage.

You do have words that need to be said, to every child, and adult alike. They need to be ingrains in the minds of americans, the idea that "i make a differnce", needs sto be present in everyone.

THe problum is that our world seams so big, and it is seamingly imposable for people do do any great things anymore. Have we gotten to the point that everything is so political that you mus fight and "go through the proper channals" just to make a difference!

we have the internet, this great global network that brings us all together, thropugh space, and even time it would seam, and yet we are lost in it!

Can you emagen what this world would be like if we could get even out toldlers to belive in the "i can make a differnce" adatude sincerly! would we have third greader patitioning their lawmakers on behafe of the afflicted? Would we have high schoolers, who give of themselvs in order to firther one another, insted of using guns to solv their problums?

I owuld ague that if our generation, and the next, or any generation for that matter belived in the "I can do it" adatude, things would change! the problum is taht by the time a child is 8 years old, he has leard that he cant. The adults in this world have shown him or her that their dreams are to big.

And what happens if a person strives agenst the everage, what if they belive that they can change the world, no matter how imposable it is? They end up dead! killed by thoes who are afraid of the dream. Killed by thoes who "know better", Killed by thoes who say "it is imposable, never!"

dont belive me, what about KING or LINKON or KENNEDY?!! and look at JEsus christ, All three major religions recognize him as significant, and thoes who dont blive he is a religous figure, say that he made a lot of since! HE WAS KILLED!!!

The sad thruth is that some people, maby the majority, liek change, welcome it. BUt there are thoes who are scared of change, they are terified that someone is going to make a differnce in their lives, so they dont let them change anyone els's!

I'm not saying i agree with this, but thats the way it is! Everyone can make a diffrence in their world, and everyone does! I'm just scared that we are in a society where we wont let people change us on a grand scail!

"when the last thing we notice, is the colot of skin, and the first thing we look for is the beauty within..."

someday, garth, someday

fuzzwuzz
03-07-2002, 12:12 AM
here in the Brave New World's embrace
I watch the parade begin
searching for one familiar face
and I wonder where I fit in
how will I know if there's a place
for me in the Brave New World

to be calm in the eye
of the human storm
in a house full of dreams
I am safe and warm

looking back at a life
filled with warm embraces
no regrets only memories
of smiling faces

we were almost there
now change is in the air

YODELGAL
03-07-2002, 03:24 AM
My favorite story about Garth was written (I'm sorry that I don't recall who wrote it and I should) about seeing him play baseball, and afterward signing autographs for fans, kids first. That in itself was cool, but how he did it is world-changing. After he signed each kid's autograph, he would look them in the eye and tell them: "I'll remember you." Just think what that had to do for each child's self image! Each child would go home and think, "Garth will remember me! Me! And that must mean I'm special. And if I am special, maybe I can grow up to be a special person, like Garth, and do wonderful things." WOW! I'm sure we'll see the results of what he has accomplished for many years to come. And because someone took the time to write that item, I and others read it. And because I read it, I make it a point to tell every child I have a conversation with that I think they are terrific, and I'll never forget them. And what if everyone who reads this does the same thing? Imagine!

The world today is full of wonderful people doing wonderful, kind, and thoughtful things. Of course, that's not "news". What's "news" is the few people who do awful things, that's what gets in the newspaper. So you are daily reading about the minority. Look for the majority. The world I think is becoming a better place, not a worse place. I see it or hear about it every day. The joy in life is trying to be one of the "good" guys. Why do you suppose that Garth has sold over 104 million albums?

Stephanie

diem nash
03-07-2002, 05:39 AM
And you are right with it - both!!!

Iīll do that with the kids! I like it very much and Iīm sure, itīs something great and works.

Thanks for sharing!
I didnīt know that story. I had heard another cute story. There was a little girl, which met Garth even on such a training and was very shy, when Garth asked her, if she wanna have a hug from him. She said "No!" and hide behind her mom. Than Garth was sooo very kind and cute, looked at her with his Teddy Bear Button Eyes and said: "I could need a hug yet. Wold you give me one?" ...
And the little girl did!

Huggs!

Maddy

cntrypoet
03-07-2002, 05:59 AM
VERY COOL!

hey that thing about garth looking into the kids eays and saying "ill remember you" coolist thing about it is, he aint jokein'! I have red nemoris storyies about how garth has rememberd people he met years earlyer, and for jost a moment that time! defenintly a people person, with a photographic memeory!

that poem! it's very good, very interesting! I like the stanza
looking back at a life
filled with warm embraces
no regrets only memories
of smiling faces

Isn't that how we all would like to remember our past? funny think is, I have found that a lot of the smiling faces you see in retrospect wer faces of hate and misunderstanding when the memory was being created, time changed perspective! if you think this is an obserd view may i ask that you listen to THE DANCE carfuly!

AS for news? well you take a jurnalism class, and if it's worth takeing you learn about the 3w outlook on news! this outlook was stated by a mon who is considerd to be the man who WROTE the book, or paper as it would be, on news! what are the three W's, Women Wompom and Wrong doing, modern day lingo would be MONEY SEX AND POWER. and that's exactly what you see, wich explains why the monica lewenscy scandle was a news-soapopra! "DAys of our Presidens lives" maby nights?

If I evewr gave you the openion that I do not belive that one person can make a difrence in this world, than my words betray me! I do think it can happen, it has happend, It has even hapend to me. The problum is that it takes sacrifice, a lot of it, on the poeple who wish to change this world, and thoes who let it change their world!

anyway, time for me to earn my name;

I always feal that Shuld introduce my poems. This is a poem that i wrote in high school, about 4 1/2 years ago. IT was my Sr. year and their had been a fiew suicides alredy (i know it's not a LIGHT subject but nothing worth talking about is). It go to the point where i was walking through school, along with litarly thousands of outher students, and i kept wondering "in this mass of people are there thoes who think they dont matter, is this over, whos next'" having delt with many hard isues in my life, and yes being on the verge a fiew times, i wanted to speak out, hopfuly i could make some since, or at least help someone, this is what came out'

ONE

one heart
0one sole
one time
one kind
one person helps to change a mind

one word
one touch
one hug
one pen
one person shows us what's within

One loved
One hated
One misunderstood
what one would do if they thought they could

We pass them off
As hopeless fools
When deep inside
They're precious jewels

Untell the day
Their scared and battered
and only one stands
cracked not shattered

no words
not touch
no hug
no pen
To show the scars frome deep within

They sit alone on darkend nights
ther's nothing els tthey think to say
and with a shot or a stabv they end their life
A tragic end to dreadful days

One feels sorrow
one feels pain
THen we blame outselves
for what's been done

KThey could have been shown
or been convinced
that what they did
could not make sense

whe all is said
and all is done
we find they only
NEEDED ONE

this poem was inspired by the first verse of "the change" "one heart, reaches out, and pulls a lost soul frome hearm, whal a thousand mor, go unspoken for, and they say what good have you done, by saving just this one"

YOu know, its sad. We here about people on the news, whos plight could be our own. We see them as uniqe, maby as heros. We feal for them, We wish we could help.

our we brave enough to let their lives, their storys, their legecy change us? I admire garth brooks, he is defenently my faverit celeberty, but Ryan White will always be my hero. their is a differencel to modify an old saying-

Celebritys are ordanery people, who live extrodanary lives. HEros are extrodanery people, who live ordanary lives!

soury for all the space!

YODELGAL
03-07-2002, 05:40 PM
Cntrypoet: Ryan White? Why Him? Tell us what he did for you. I've never read anything about him of interest, beyond seeing his few videos.

I see from your poetry that you are a compassionate person and very empathetic, putting yourself in others' places, and feeling their pain as if it were your own. Been there. Found it to be exhausting. Finally learned to be more objective, without which I was unable to effectively do my job. You should have been a social worker, kiddo!

I am hopeless at writing poetry. I always want to use too many words, while the intent of poetry, as I understand it, is to use as few words as possible to convey the message/emotion. You do it so well.

Maddy, I think your contribution to humanity has been to tell everyone how great they are! And a wonderful contribution that is. Too many people tear down others to make themselves seem "bigger". Way to go!

Stephanie

diem nash
03-07-2002, 06:01 PM
Maddy, I think your contribution to humanity has been to tell everyone how great they are! And a wonderful contribution that is. Too many people tear down others to make themselves seem "bigger". Way to go!

Stephanie

Well, sooo many people tread others the way you described it. It hurts me to see that. I think, we all can tread each other with respect. Thatīs, what I try to do. But at all I am, what I am. I just follow my heart. I donīt controll that or create something. I just do. Canīt and wonīt change it.
It works, if you just try.
And about the thing "to make themselves seem "bigger"". I donīt need that. I "get bigger", if I see, that I made somebody smile. To see a happy face is such a power and it makes my heart happy, too.
Iīll tell you something. Sometimes I let others "win" and be the "fool" or "looser". Maybe you understand, what I mean. But you know what?! If the are happy, Iīm happy too. So nobody lost!

Huggs!

Maddy

fuzzwuzz
03-07-2002, 10:56 PM
Stephanie, I witnessed exactly what you said about Garth on the field as a Met. As he was walking inside the fence all of a sudden he noticed a boy watching him on our side of the fence. He went over over and stooped down and told him he would always remember him and then went back to what he was doing. Another thing Garth kept telling the children was "don't give up on me". He wanted them to know he was there for them as much as was humanly possible. Obviously for Garth, that's more than most of us. And he also would say, "thanks for taking care of me", even to the adults.

cntrypoet
03-08-2002, 03:25 AM
hey YG, I thought i heard frome you in an Email that you wer in the law buisness. ONe thing i do know about law is that the wording is very percise! But given how i am obveously not the only one who misspells in here (haha) you could have thought it was a typo!

Bryan white, - singer couhtry, has a fiew videos!

Ryan White- not a miss speling, most remember him as the kid frome Indeana who died of aids. Or some remember that he got aids at 13, and fought to go back to school. Fiew people realy know his story, wich is a shame.

After fighting to go back to school, and eventaly winning, Ryan white decided to go out and edjucate people on AIDS! WHal he was an inocent victome of this deseas (getting it forme Facter 8, a type of blood transfusion he needed to help hempoheolia,) he went on to edjucat people about the deseas.

Think about it, what would you do if you got aids frome medicen at therteen? what if you wer kicked out of school? what if your home town turned their back on you and treated you as bad as many African Americans wer treated in MIssisippi during the 60s?

well this is part of Whites story, but what make shim a hearo is that he went on to edjucate people around the world. He spent eyars of his life telling people what the deseas was all about, even though it ment that everywhere he went, people recognized him as having aids?

no disrespect with this question, but could you do that? NObody els has? Shure some say that JOhnson tried to edjucate people, but only because it was the politicly corect thing to do! (my openion) IF he was sincear why did MJ spend such a short time in edjucationg people? fact is, we rarely see the kind of curage that WHite showed.

I feal as if you still may not undrstand what i am saying fully. I would encurage you to read a book called TYAN WHITE;MY OWN STORY! in the book he tealkes about what it's like dealing with aids! realy makes you think!

you ask what ryan did for me? well i dont have aids so he didn't effect my health, however he did make me stop and think! He got me to look at life a little difrently, to apreciate it more. read the book, youll understand!

littlebit
03-08-2002, 03:28 PM
:) reading these posts reaffirmed to me that there are good people out there. Every single one of you! :)

cntrypoet,

i love your poems, and would surely like to hear more. :)

Stephanie,

Songs to me are poetry put to music, so in a way, girl, you ARE a poet! :)

oh yeah,

and we got the gig at SJC :D

YODELGAL
03-08-2002, 06:28 PM
Cntrypoet: guess I had a senior moment.

Of course I confused Ryan White with Bryan White. And I do remember what Ryan did for others, and what a wonderful person he was. Sorry for dumb old me.

The person who most influenced me at an early age was a high school English teacher. He announced in class a school-wide, & state-wide essay contest, the subject to be "What Thanksgiving Means To Me." We were to submit it to our English teacher, the schools winner would win a special prize and have his or her entry submitted to the state contest. So that weekend, I wrote an essay (I've always loved to write) and submitted it the following Monday. The next day, he handed it back, with some notations on it, and asked that I try to improve it. I did, and handed it in again. Again he handed it back, with some suggestions on how I could improve it. since I found his suggestions helpful, and because the prize for the best essay from the school was something I wanted (isn't it funny that I can't remember now what it was?), I worked hard on that essay, and handed it in at the stated deadline.

The teacher asked me to wait while he read it. He then told me that I had won! "How do you know that?" I asked. "Because" he replied, "I'm the only judge... and yours was the only entry!"

Now THAT was a teacher!

Littlebit: Thanks for the supportive comment, and congrats for getting the gig!

Stephanie

cntrypoet
03-08-2002, 07:03 PM
cool story!

You know, it's intresting how some teacher, the good ones, are able to pick students out of the mass and help them aceav great things! Had a simaler experince with an sa contest.

My sr English teacher MRs Hale, once had us wright a sa which was to be considerd for an intry into a contest. I of corse shruged the idea off untell i realized i would fail the class if i didn't wright. It's not that i dont like wrighting, rather i couldn't identify with the subject, "growing up in the vally". I thoght that they wanted storys frome people who lived in the san Juqean vally their whohle life, and i had nothing to offer, as i have been mocing around the country my whole life.

The night befoer The paper was due, I sat at my computer at home and whiped out a fiew pages. I didn't spell check them, just tried to get sompthing down, heck it weould just be thrown away anyway! I turned it in the next day and forgot about it.

I thought that was the end of it. mrs. Hale never said anything more about it, didn't even tell me she enterd it into the contest. I finished the year, graduated, and mooved to florida.

A fiew weeks later, i was talking to my gerandma, and she sayd that i had a notice frome a Willum Sarorian Contest. Took a wile for me to remember, but i figured out that Mrs. Hale had enterd me into the contest. I got an hournable Mention!, wish i could have been at the cerimony, but oh well.

I dont know if she spell checked it for me, but I realy dont think so. just goes to show you, even when your wrighting half hazerd you may be creating a masterpice!

fuzzwuzz
03-09-2002, 01:23 AM
Haphazard or not, why do I get the feeling instead of being 'jerked off' royaly by a piece of work, as opposed to being enlightened by a masterpiece supposedly in progress?

cntrypoet
03-09-2002, 02:29 AM
a work in progress? to what are you refering?
I dont know if your providing constructiv criticizem, or what!

if your talking about my life being a work in progress, of corse it is all of our lives are! but plese can you expand a bit more?

fuzzwuzz
03-10-2002, 02:05 AM
Nope. I don't care to go there. Good luck with your 'country poetry' though.

cntrypoet
03-10-2002, 06:13 PM
comon fuzzy I CAN TAKE IT!!

beside you shuldn't make asertions you canrt back up! let loose have some fun!
dean

fuzzwuzz
03-12-2002, 12:02 AM
And you shouldn't call yourself a country poet before you know how to talk and speak as folks in the country normally do, with alot more dignity and respect for us as people. Thanks, but no thanks. Sorry!!

YODELGAL
03-12-2002, 04:33 PM
Fuzzwuzz: You're being obscure again. Can't relate what you've said to what cntrypoet has written.

Pilgrim
03-12-2002, 05:34 PM
Littlebit: First, let me agree with you about James Garver's stage presence. It always annoyed me, when I watched videos of rock performers, that they all try to upstage each other, rather than support each other. Garver always added to the joy on the stage, and flashed his wonderful smile at the audience, but he never tried to upstage Garth. And the fact that Garth ALWAYS acknowledges his musicians (which I've noticed that most other performers NEVER do) might be one of the reasons they are willing to let him have the spotlight . . .cuz they know they'll get their turn at some time during the show.
Check out "Live In New York City" and you will see the E Street Band do the same. Sticking together BIG TIME, and I don't think it is seen more clearly than on that DVD, when they all hold hands.

Lots of other rock performers support each other as well:)

Brian

fuzzwuzz
03-12-2002, 10:23 PM
Stephanie, you mean to tell me you can relate to countrypoet's writing then? (I can barely even read it). Clue me into the secret, ok? Because I guess I'm the one having trouble 'relating' then.

Brian, I'm gonna agree with you on that one. I saw that concert. And when the E Street Band sings about "If You Should Fall Behind, I'll be waiting there for you"(what's the exact words to the song?), it's clear the feeling is very real among the band members.

I do remember reading something Crystal T. said on her site about recording the Chris Gaines project with Garth. She said there was alot of "LOVE in the house" throughout the whole experience.

Pilgrim
03-13-2002, 03:41 AM
Dale, do you have it on DVD or did you watch it on TV??:)

On the DVD version there is a behind the scenes portrait of the show where they play snippets of songs that was not put on the actual 190 minute concert.
There they show him singing a part of "Blood Brothers" which just kick into your mind BIG TIME!!
I am a bit peeved they let out that awesome song:mad:

IF I SHOULD FALL BEHIND

We said we'd walk together baby come what may
That come the twilight should we lose our way
If as we're walkin a hand should slip free
I'll wait for you
And should I fall behind
Wait for me

We swore we'd travel darlin' side by side
We'd help each other stay in stride
But each lover's steps fall so differently
But I'll wait for you
And if I should fall behind
Wait for me

Now everyone dreams of a love lasting and true
But you and I know what this world can do
So let's make our steps clear that the other may see
And I'll wait for you
If I should fall behind
Wait for me

Now there's a beautiful river in the valley ahead
There 'neath the oak's bough soon we will be wed
Should we lose each other in the shadow of the evening trees
I'll wait for you
And should I fall behind
Wait for me
Darlin' I'll wait for you
Should I fall behind
Wait for me

BLOOD BROTHERS
Original version

We played king of the mountain out on the end
The world come chargin' up the hill, and we were women and men
Now there's so much that time, time and memory fade away
We got our own roads to ride and chances we gotta take
We stood side by side each one fightin' for the other
We said until we died we'd always be blood brothers

Now the hardness of this world slowly grinds your dreams away
Makin' a fool's joke out of the promises we make
And what once seemed black and white turns to so many shades of gray
We lose ourselves in work to do and bills to pay
And it's a ride, ride, ride, and there ain't much cover
With no one runnin' by your side my blood brother

On through the houses of the dead past those fallen in their tracks
Always movin' ahead and never lookin' back
Now I don't know how I feel, I don't know how I feel tonight
If I've fallen 'neath the wheel, if I've lost or I've gained sight
I don't even know why, I don't know why I made this call
Or if any of this matters anymore after all

But the stars are burnin' bright like some mystery uncovered
I'll keep movin' through the dark with you in my heart
My blood brother

BLOOD BROTHERS
As played at the last show of the 1999/2000 Tour at July 1st in New York

We played king of the mountain out on the end
The world come chargin' up the hill, and we were women and men
Now there's so much that time, time and memory fade away
We got our own roads to ride and chances we gotta take
We stood side by side each one fightin' for the other
We said until we died we'd always be blood brothers

Now the hardness of this world slowly grinds your dreams away
Makin' a fool's joke out of the promises we make
And what once seemed black and white turns to so many shades of gray
We lose ourselves in work to do and bills to pay
And it's a ride, ride, ride, and there ain't much cover
With no one runnin' by your side my blood brother

On through the houses of the dead past those fallen in their tracks
Always movin' ahead and never lookin' back
Now I'm out here on this road
Alone on this road tonight
I close my eyes and feel so many
friends around me
In the early evening light
And the miles we have come
And the battles won and lost
Are just so many roads traveled
So many rivers crossed
And I ask God for the strength
And faith in one another
'Cause it's a good night for a ride
'Cross this river to the other side
My blood brothers

fuzzwuzz
03-14-2002, 01:54 AM
Oh wow Brian! That was great! I'll wait for you if you'll wait for me, ok? ;)

Now I turn to you country poet. Let's start over, ok? Tell me something I can relate to and I'll try to do the same for you.