PDA

View Full Version : now is it just me

shelde2003
01-11-2002, 10:40 PM
or did someone other than micheal jackson deserve that artist of the century award...maybe GARTH. let me know ya'lls opinion.

wizard2C
01-11-2002, 10:45 PM
Hi!

Well......maybe they don't realize that a century is actually 100 years? [lol] ;)

Has Michael been around that long?

carol
wizard2c
"Dance!Sing!Fun!2002!"

shelde2003
01-11-2002, 10:49 PM
that's finny. i say we all write dick clark a buncha hate notes ohh ohh me first me first

ProducerJ
01-11-2002, 10:52 PM
Well there are a couple of different ways to look at it, and of course, we might be a teeny tiny bit biased.....but

if you look at sales, Garth wins hands down. (Although what the heck was it they said at the AMA's saying something about Michael being the best selling artist ever? Don't we know better? Maybe they count Jackson 5 stuff in with his solo?)

But if you look at longevity.... Michael has been around since he was a kid. So although Garth's impact was harder, faster, Michael was around for more of the century. And of course, had the impact of dance and fashion...

I'm sure LA would be all a flutter if a COUNTRY artist was named artist of the century. *GASP!*
J.

Pilgrim
01-12-2002, 07:50 AM
Well if they count it on sales Michael will outsell Garth with many lenghts as will Elvis.
I can live with that Elvis do it, but Michael???:eek::eek:

I agree with Joyce that we may be a bit biased here, and those who ARE biased should put their blinkers away and face the fact that MJ and Elvis is not only popular in USA as Garth Brooks, but also in the rest of the world.

I think they based the award on that:)

Garth is probably not even in the top 20 when it co,es to world wide sales figures:o

Brian

no1cowgirl
01-12-2002, 09:11 AM
Funny, Brian...I was just looking for stats about what you were talking about so I could get a better feel (and they're only american-based, but I was looking for internationally)....anyways...

You know MJ's "Thriller" is said to be the best-selling album of all time? Well, as of November, The Eagles "Greatest Hits" album has "Thriller" beat by at least a million! Where the heck do they get this stuff? *sigh* People need to stick to the facts--and that means recognizing the Eagles, not MJ for best-selling album. :mad:

And as a side note...

#13 Garth Brooks: No Fences | 1990 (16 million)
#24 Garth Brooks: Ropin' the Wind | 1991 (14)
#28 Garth Brooks: Double Live | 1998 (12 1/2)

Krista

PJ
01-12-2002, 09:46 AM
Also, before Soundscan, the number of albums sold wasn't always accurate. I'm sure Elvis has sold a lot more records worldwide than he is given credit for, but those stats just weren't kept quite as well in the 50s and 60s.

Pilgrim
01-12-2002, 11:38 AM
The numbers has always been American based as far as I know:)

"Thriller" is indeed around amillion behind The Eagles' "Greatest Hits" album, but world wide there is an estimated sale of almost 50 million copies of "Thriller"!!!

FIFTY MILLION for ONE album!!!!!

I've also seen somewhere that both Elvis and Beatles has sold more than 500 million copies world wide, and I am VERY confident that Elvis is way past the 100 million mark in USA as well.

I know the site you were looking at Krista:)

Brian

countryLadywest
01-12-2002, 12:41 PM
:D

countryLadywest
01-13-2002, 06:02 PM
I really don't keep up with these things,really.Im not in the biz,so,
I am clueless.