PDA

View Full Version : "That Summer" Lyrics vs song

LJP
12-31-2001, 09:51 AM
I'm wondering if anyone else has commented on how the first line of Garths' song - "That Summer" is sung, or heard, on CD.

The first line according to the written lyrics is: "I went to work FOR her that summer".

However, all versions I have heard seem to clearly leave the word "FOR" out. Sorta like a recording goof?

Any comments?

Thanks

Pilgrim
12-31-2001, 10:52 AM
It is there:)

maybe not so you can hear he actually sing FOR, but it is definitely there.

I don't know what you call this type of singing, but it is like an "deaf" word. Even without the lyrics by my side I knew the very first time that "fo" was for.

Springsteen use the same technic a lot on his songs where it sound like he "lose" the words, but they are there.

Welcome to PG:D

Stay tuned and post lots:)

And Happy New Year:D

Brian

sergerca
01-01-2002, 09:17 PM
God bless Bruce and Garth!!

Chris

MDgarthgirl
01-02-2002, 03:02 PM
LJP,

Garth sings it, although I agree, it sounds more like, "went to work fo'her that summer." After a while of listening to most singers, you realize they don't enunciate every single syllable, or even short words. It's common in commercial music. Makes it sound more "conversational."

Nash

Jadzia
01-02-2002, 03:50 PM
Like said before, this word is there.

Welcome to the planet! :)

Have fun and post lots!

Elena.

Pilgrim
01-02-2002, 05:24 PM
I guess Nash explain it better than me ;)

Brian

twister
01-02-2002, 06:40 PM
you should hear the version i have. I got it from a VH1 special i think. He sings the same verse twice. The first time normal, and the second is with different music but the same words. Makes it sound like a whole different song.

Twister

MDgarthgirl
01-04-2002, 11:43 AM
Brian,

I simply answered it differently. :)

Twister,

I remember the show you're talking about. Garth was talking about how the music plays a part complementary to the lyrics of a song and how the whole feeling of a song can change when you change the music. Then he demonstrated with "That Summer." Very Cool. Really showed his talent for the craft. He would have been a great speaker for my commercial songwriting class. ;)

Nash