PDA

View Full Version : Spring Training 2002?

changer
12-16-2001, 10:44 PM
Any word yet? Garth was hinting at visiting with a Cactus League team this year....

allisonv7
12-16-2001, 11:59 PM
I'm sorry if you guys don't feel the same way, but if he goes to Spring Training after everything he's said about wanting to be AT HOME and how writing gives him that chance to be AT HOME, I'm going to be rather disgruntled....If he really wants to do it I support him 110%, but it's not going to sit right with me.....kindof like when you want to do something but your parents don't think it's a good decision....they'll defenetly support you, they're just going to be a bit disappointed....I just don't know what to think sometimes when it comes to Garth. :)

allison.

Pilgrim
12-17-2001, 03:34 AM
I agree with Allison, and I will definitely NOT support him 110% or even 0,0000000000000000000000000000000000000001% if he does it after what he has said.

Brian

SweetGBFan
12-17-2001, 05:14 AM
Come on guys! We cant expect him to just sit home and do nothing. He has said he is going to be doing stuff. I support him 110% if thats what he wants to do and if hes in FLA Im going!!

PJ
12-17-2001, 09:04 AM
Spring training is only 3-4 weeks out of the year and during that time Garth helps raise money for children's charities which is a wonderful thing!

GBFOREVER
12-17-2001, 09:09 AM
I just have a comment, I agree with garth if he wants to play who are we to judge him??? we are supposed to support him in what ever he decides to do.. I think its great.. anyways take care all laura

gbroadtrip
12-17-2001, 09:19 AM
If Garth does do spring training, we're talking 2-3 weeks. The reason for him going down to training camp is MUCH greater then what he'd receive from doing a concert or recording for 2 or 3 weeks. Actually he dosn't get anything out of these trips, it all goes to the fund to help kids. Fact is last time he whent he said he didn't know if he would be back as he's almost 40. If this is his ONLY way of reaching some of his fans then I'm all for it, I'd like it if he still played the opry once in a while too. I don't think we all know what kind of commitment even recording a new album takes in listening to music and recording songs that don't even make the cut, not to mention touring. If any of you saw the trucks and gear outback a Garth concert, you'd know Garth and his road crew work day and night setting up to make sure everything is perfect. He knows there are those people out there that are just waiting for him to slip up or falter and they crucify him in the media. Heck, they do it just because he's Garth. You can't expect Garth to stay home and be Mr. Dad all of the time, at least I can't. Perhaps being around some of his fans will drive him on to continue his career by recording a record every now and then, I can only hope!

Shan

Cheryl
12-17-2001, 09:21 AM
Good for Garth. I hope he is able to do Spring Training. His charity efforts are certainly appreciated by the many organizations benefiting from his work, not to mention the individuals they help. He is teaching his daughters the importance of helping those less fortunate, lessons that will serve them well all their lives. The world is a better place when people help each other.

It's rather sad, I think, when some of his fans can't understand that, or at the very least, just respect it enough to grant him the space to have a life. Garth said he was retiring from music because it wasn't his first priority anymore. He never said he was gonna stay locked up in the house 24/7. So, here's a guy making his kids his first priority and also doing something to help out those less fortunate than he is...and he gets flack for that?!?

Garth_FANtasizer
12-17-2001, 09:49 AM
Well said Cheryl!

I don't think it would even be that long (3 or 4 weeks) away from the children. I'd be willing to bet that they go with him! He would still be with them every night that he normally would've.

It baffles me why anyone would object to Garth AND the girls having a little fun and raising a ton of money for children! :rolleyes:

Let the man have a life! sheesh!

~Ann~

ProducerJ
12-17-2001, 10:07 AM
Standing and Applauding Cheryl

I forget the exact quote, but at one of the media events recently Garth said something to the effect that to NOT do Spring Training was taking money from children who needed it. If he were to announce that he WASN'T going to do ST, there'd be people here calling him lazy and selfish and say he was turning his back on the kids. The poor guy can't win.

I don't think his retiring from playing a couple of hundred live concerts a year or spending months at a time holed up in a studio to make a new album means that he is going to become a hermit in Oklahoma. Garth is very aware of the gifts God gave him and how he can use them to do good.

Changer - what's a Cactus League Team?

J.<--- Baseball stupid

PJ
12-17-2001, 11:18 AM
J - MLB teams do spring training in either Florida or AZ pretty much. The teams in Florida play each other during spring training and it's called the Grapefruit League. The teams in AZ who play each other during spring training is called the Cactus League.

boppityboo
12-17-2001, 12:01 PM
OH PLEASE!PLEASE!PLEASE! Let him do ST in Arizona.. lol. I told my kids if he does do ST in Arizona, we are sooo there... Road trip, here we come. BUT... if he's going to FLA... well, then we're going to the Calgary Stampede and West Edmonton Mall... either way, I'm going to see cowboys next year. lol.. :p

Ellie :)

Debbie from NZ
12-17-2001, 06:57 PM
Garth, buddy, do what you wanna do. It's your life, although I know it doesn't seem like it sometimes.

ALI
12-17-2001, 07:28 PM
OK

Those that are flaming Garth, I ask you...have you EVER done anything unselfishly to help benefit someone other than yourself?
If you have, then you KNOW the feeling inside your heart that makes you feel taller than a mountain because you have helped someone less fortunate than yourself.

And, there are many people out there who need and appreciate the help they are given from such people.
Firstly, who are WE to judge what Garth does and frankly, whatever Garth does, is none of OUR business!
So there!!!
What he does, when he chooses to, is definitely up to him but since Garth is the giving person he is (stands for 23 hours signing autographs at one function a few years ago-sheesh, that speaks volumes for itself!!!!!) I guess he feels that giving a little of himself is worth a LOT of money to his kids charity and it's worth it.

A greay way to teach his three angels about the power of giving.

I say, Go for it! If it makes you feel good AND benefits kids, than it must be a good thing! :cool:
:p:p:p

MT4GB
12-17-2001, 09:57 PM
Poor Garth-he's damned if he does or damned if he does not! :rolleyes:

And why do we have to over analyzed every little thing that Garth does or says! :( Let the man live in piece! :)

Nancy :D

Garthfan92
12-17-2001, 09:57 PM
I hope Garth does do it for all the kids everywhere that will benefit from it! He'll raise more money and get more players signed up. It's not for that long, and mostly in one place. He can have the girls with him most of the time, and spend his down time with them. Seems to me like it would work out just fine. It's FAR different from the time touring would take him away from them.

Lisa

BigGfan4life
12-17-2001, 10:20 PM
I agree with Lisa...Touch 'Em All is definitely for a good cause, so a lot of kids will benefit from Garth doing spring training. Also, it isn't for that long, and Garth can have the girls there with him, so it's not like he won't be able to "play Dad" for those few weeks.

Pilgrim
12-18-2001, 02:48 AM
So what about ST without any fans around:cool:

I am sure everyone of those in favor would accept that:)

That way he also does something for kids, and he don't need the fans as they would only take time away from HIS children.

Brian

garthfamily
12-21-2001, 01:34 AM
I think that Garth has every right to do Spring training if he wants to. As for spending time with his girls, didnt he have them at Spring training before. and yes most fans would probably stay away if they were asked to by Garth out of respect for his privacy and famiyl time. From what I have heard Garth has excused himself so he could get to the girls for things that were going on. Would you be asking that no one goes to Spring Training period, that's the only way I ever got to see a Major League team up close. Its not just Garth fans that go to Spring Training and from the sounds of things I don't think Garth would mind spending some time with his fans. Garth is a big boy I think he can decide when he needs to step back some. Meanwhile unless I find out otherwise I might see about going to ST myself. I got a guitar for Christmas I'd like to get signed.:)

Sharon

Pilgrim
12-21-2001, 02:24 AM
So the fans need Garth to tell them when to show respect?? They can't do it by themselves.

Brian

Cheryl
12-21-2001, 09:18 AM
Brian, why do you try to make this more complicated than it is? Spring training brings out thousands of fans every year, whether Garth is there or not. If Garth happens to be on a team this spring, then I would expect that there will be fans that go just to watch him, as well as those who would have been there anyway.

What Garth chooses to do with his free time is up to him. Perhaps you dont remember how he says he actually LIKES meeting people. So, IF he has the time, then my guess is that he will hang out for awhile. If he doesn't, then he wont. He's a grown man - and he knows his schedule better than you do. But for you to say that Garth fans should stay away from Spring training - isn't that rather presumptuous of you? I say let Garth decide if he wants to spend time with fans. It's not up to anybody else to take that choice away from him.

GBinMyHrt
12-21-2001, 10:17 AM
Good grief! The point of the baseball team contributing big bucks to Garth's charity is in exchange for his appearance at ST...and his appearance is to get the fans in the stadium...it's promotion for the baseball team as well as the charity.

It's an opportunity for Garth to make players aware that they can join up. AND what's more ... people, fans, make our own monetary contributions as well. I can't tell you how many people asked me what Garth was doing at ST, and I got to tell them about Touch Em All.

Also, after going to ST while Garth was at the Mets, I learned that I liked the ball game. What's more, I took my kids and they liked it.

So ya see....It's promotion for the team and for the charity. If people don't go then they <Garth and the team> don't get the word out. So don't stay home. If Garth does ST take your friends and neighbors and tell everyone about it.

It only goes on for 2 weeks, JUST 2 WEEKS out of the year, and the real winners in the end is the children who get the donations.

sandytoo
12-21-2001, 10:45 AM
Amen, Cheryl and GBinMyHrt !!

And no, Brian, this fan doesn't a lesson in respect from Garth. But maybe you do...

Hawk7lte
12-21-2001, 12:08 PM
What child needs or wants a parent that is with them every minute of every day - 52 weeks a year?

What child benefits from a parent that makes them the center of the adult's world? What adult can be a complete person around only children - without some adult companionship, and adult interests?

As someone who has worked with children for a lifetime - that kind of extreme parenting produces children who grow into adults who continue to believe that the world revolves around just them.

Garth is too good of a parent not to realize that NO ONE benefits from having others completely center their life around them. So he is still trying to find the balance; be an active parent - be there for his children - and have a life of his own. Children aren't in this world to meet adult needs, they too want their own lives, and for parents to build their own lives with those that meet those adult needs.

After all folks, Sandy is planning a shopping center. She isn't going to make the mistake of confusing children by making them her total existence.

It isn't an either-or; it's a balance that Garth and Sandy will find (and hopefully with adults they are compatible with by their sides)

So if an opportunity comes up to benefit charities - you know they will both jump on that - and continue to help others too.

Hawk

Crackers
12-21-2001, 12:40 PM
Excellent thoughts, as always, Hawk!

ProducerJ
12-21-2001, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by Hawk7lte
After all folks, Sandy is planning a shopping center.
She's WHAT? Man, that would be my dream job. All my favorite stores, and I'd give myself a huge discount!

Seriously, though.... what's the story? I hadn't heard this.
J.

Chris Gaines
12-21-2001, 03:27 PM
Joyce,

Sandy is building a Shopping Center. in a small town about an hour from Tulsa just off the highway ;)

they just got the zoning approved from what I know.. for the constrution.. that's all I know at this time :p

Jason

splitzer
12-21-2001, 04:48 PM
I just realized that the original question was never answered.

I have not heard anything definite either way. Last time I asked him, at HWS (which was Oct 19, so not TOO long ago), he said that he'd love to do it if any team will have him. Basically, I think he has made it known that he's interested and is waiting for an invitation. Whether or not he may have already received one or is in talks with any of the teams, I do not know.

Garth Always,
Dani

Snow
12-21-2001, 04:48 PM
I hope Garth is able to do it this year.

It's great for baseball... it's great for the charity... it's great for Garth as he gets to do something a little different and that he enjoys... it's great for the fans because they get a chance to see him... and even Garth's girls get a chance to see their dad do something great other than singing.

I don't understand what the problem is.

Everybody deserves a little vacation and Garth enjoys it so much. I know his kids attended some of it the last times and sounds like he spent time with them. I bet Mr. Brooks (his dad) would like to go and watch his son play for a day or two.

I doubt if I'd get to go as AZ is a bit far for me... and I have to take more Grad classes this summer. But if the schedule works out and some money falls from the sky then I might would go and watch.

Yeah, I'd try to meet with him and get an autograph if and when he has time. I'd love putting that on my autograph/plaque wall. Right now it only has Steve & Teri Irwin, William Shatner and Leonard Nimoy. I sent a request to Jonathan Frakes for an autographed picture from him. One day I'd like to have all the casts from all the series. I wish I had gotten DeForest Kelly's before he passed away... now I'll have to really search for one.

I don't see any problem with the fans meeting with Garth as long as he sets the times.

okioreo
12-21-2001, 05:15 PM
I have 4 kids and would love the chance to go to Spring Training for a few weeks...it makes me a better Mom to get be away and have some time for myself, recharge my batteries.
Parenting can lead to burn out as fast as a sold out World Tour, if not FASTER!!!..LOL

GriggsGarthGirl
12-21-2001, 08:35 PM
Garth could tour for 3-4 weeks and make a whole lot more money than he'll make doing Spring Training. Plus he'll get to fans who aren't in FL or AZ--and there's a lot of them outside of that area. Plus, from what I've heard a lot of the baseball players aren't exactly thrilled to have him there. He is a bit of a distraction and he takes the spot of someone who actually has a shot of making it to the majors. Chances are the only fans that are for this are the ones who are in FL or AZ or can get there. Wish we were all that lucky.

Chris Gaines
12-21-2001, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by GriggsGarthGirl
from what I've heard a lot of the baseball players aren't exactly thrilled to have him there. He is a bit of a distraction and he takes the spot of someone who actually has a shot of making it to the majors.

That's not exactly true... most the players and coaches alike.. LOVE Garth there.. many have said that he helped the club.. maybe not at the plate or in the field.. but in his work ethics. Garth was always the 1st one out on the field.. and the very last to leave. And most the bigger stars really enjoyed seeing how he interacted with the fans.. it's even made a few people change their attitude around fans :)

As for "taking the place of a player that could have made it" well.. the Owners are the ones that do the inviting, so oviously.. the player he "replaced" didn't have a chance anyways ;)

ya know?
Jason

Snow
12-21-2001, 08:58 PM
I wanted to correct a misconception before it goes any further.

When Garth attends Spring Training for any team it is always as a 'guest' and it doesn't take the place of any potential player.

As for a distraction, that might be true when he signs autographs and such but that is only between practices. During practice he does everything required of the rest. It also increases the number of people that come out to the games which is good for the teams.

If any players have complained, I have missed it. Those interviewed, that I read were always supportive of Garth and the charity.

The "Touch 'Em All" charity seeks to reach an additional different group than that concerts would reach alone.... sports fans and players.

Garth has used music and concerts to raise money for charity. This is simply a different/additional way.

Concerts require a lot more planning and preparation. Not to mention more overhead costs.... Plus, Garth simply wants to do something different. Everyone needs to do something different once in a while.

Hawk7lte
12-22-2001, 12:42 AM
Remember the "Sportsman" award be was awarded? Without doubt his attitude, sportsmanship, effort, and the contributions that makes to the team and the fans are recognized and appreciated!

Yep,that gent,Garth, is a true gentleman - in the best sense of the word.

Hawk

Chris Gaines
12-22-2001, 12:03 PM
Actually Deb,

I believe even if invited as a "Guest" you take the place of a potential player. They are only allowed so many players on the squad at most times during Spring Training, and as such Garth *is* counted as one of the players on the squad.

True? ;)

Jason

Garth_FANtasizer
12-22-2001, 02:49 PM
Garth was a *non* roster invitee.

~Ann~

Chris Gaines
12-22-2001, 03:45 PM
Ann,

even as such.. only so many can suit up to PLAY the games. ;)

There is a number limit .. non-rostered or rostered.. they all count.. if they are going to PLAY in the game ;)

and that number *is* 25 ;)

Jason