PDA

View Full Version : Triple Platinum???

allisonv7
12-15-2001, 02:07 PM
Hey guys, I just heard on two radio stations this morning and read on the G-box that Scarecrow has gone triple platinum.....ok, now i'm not trying to say anything bad about Garth here......but, there is NO WAY it could go triple platinum already, it took it three weeks to go platinum.

So am I just being a bad Garth fan for not believing or is this really not true??

Allison.

countryLadywest
12-15-2001, 10:49 PM
Dont say nothing bad about Garth are you a real fan?

Lowell Miller
12-16-2001, 02:13 AM
Welcome to PG Allison....I copied this from SweetGBFan. :)

"Platinum albums are based on units shipped not sold. Soundscan is based on units sold. RIAA certifications are based on units shipped to retailers, and soundscan bases on units actually sold. Scarecrow is certified 3xplatnium because 3 million units were shipped to retailers. It has actually sold 1.4 million units according to Soundscan."

Pilgrim
12-16-2001, 07:09 AM
1.4 million is not much *LOL* Actually it is quite poor numbers for his "last" album.
Obviously people got tired of his multicover tricks to sell more albums.

Brian

jstensig
12-16-2001, 07:23 AM
I don't think it has anything to do with the multiple covers at all. It's only the hardcore fans that cares about that at all. The rest probably doesn't notice.

I feel the same way towards Michael Jacksons new album - or "Nr 1s" with The Beatles which was released earlier this year.
I think it's good for the hardcore fans, but I'd just buy whichever cover I thought had the best design.

I'm a pretty big fan of Kenny Rogers but I couldn't care less whether he released a CD with multiple covers or not. I wouldn't buy an extra copy - I would only do that with Garth because he's something special to me.

Jakob

SweetGBFan
12-16-2001, 09:10 AM
Brian,
1.4 million is very good and in only three weeks. Why do you always find the negative with Garth?? No its not his Double Live figures, but come on the guy has been out of the limelight for almost 2 years and I would say that what he has done with this CD so far is very awesome. He still outsells ANY major country star here in the USA.

diem nash
12-16-2001, 10:52 AM
"I wouldn't buy an extra copy - I would only do that with Garth because he's something special to me."
How cute is that?! ;)

Well, for me Garth is the best of the best with or without platinum!!!
But of course I hope and wish, that heīll reach it. It would be a great gift from his fans to him. :)

Madeleine

Pilgrim
12-16-2001, 12:53 PM
Sweet,

We are talking about Garth here!!!!! Don't you see??
1.4 million suck when you think about who we are talking about.

Now people have been screaming for 4 years on new stuff from him, and then they get it, and it sell only 1.4 million??

That's more or less a fiasco Garth wise. If it had been any other artist I could agree with you, but this is the man who has sold 6 millions or more of all his previous country albums.

And I don't care about DL as that was cheating all the way through.
In reality it only sold these 6.5 millions, But he just had to exceed the 100 minute limit that counts for double CD's by a few seconds so he could get the numbers up.

It's clear he's over the hill now, or country music in general as it is declining big time.

Oh well, we can always hope it will hit the 5 million mark in 10 years or so;)

Brian

Garth_FANtasizer
12-16-2001, 01:54 PM
LOL! Brian, I love ya bud, but that's just rediculous babble! How can you even say something so foolish? Those numbers are fantastic even for Garth standards!

It's selling more in it's 4th week then Tim McGraw's, George Strait's or Toby Kieth's did in their 1st week!

I think you put higher standards on Garth than the music industry does. It just isn't realistic. One month and you are writing it off as a failure? Even though its outselling every country artist and the majority of every other artist from any genre! Even Garth can't sell better than Garth! LOL

Sales aside - Do you like the music on "Scarecrow," Brian? Does the quality have anything to do with the quanity? If it sells 10 million in a year, would that really make a difference to you as to how you perceive Garth as an artist?

~Ann~

Pilgrim
12-16-2001, 02:42 PM
LOL! Brian, I love ya bud, but that's just rediculous babble! How can you even say something so foolish? Those numbers are fantastic even for Garth standards!
Nope it's not;) It's poor numbers all the way through, and I am quite sure a year ago you would have agreed with me.Eventhough people don't say it now, I am sure LOTS of PGers were thinking numbers in the 5 million area after teo months, and we both know that MANY was expecting it to beat out N'Sync's first week sales.

It's selling more in it's 4th week then Tim McGraw's, George Strait's or Toby Kieth's did in their 1st week!
*LOL* They are TINY artists compared to garth. Sure, they sell albums, but they are just not played enough outside USA which again say they are not worth that much to people. Garth is the REAL artist, the one and ONLY country act who set the standards. Maybe with a bit of help from Shania, but she has also vanished from the surface.

think you put higher standards on Garth than the music industry does. It just isn't realistic. One month and you are writing it off as a failure? Even though its outselling every country artist and the majority of every other artist from any genre! Even Garth can't sell better than Garth! LOL
I don't care about country acts, and neither does anyone of you. otherwise you wouldn't compare him to pop/rock acts, right.
Those are the people that everybody wish he would beat.
Every person with just a wee bit of brain know he can outsell any country star any time, any place with anything!

Sales aside - Do you like the music on "Scarecrow," Brian? Does the quality have anything to do with the quanity? If it sells 10 million in a year, would that really make a difference to you as to how you perceive Garth as an artist?
Apart from two songs I LOVE the album and have my fair share of copies now;) And nope, it doesn't make a difference to me if it sell 10 millions or not. But it does to garth;)
He think he has failed and will stay away from publicity for longer;)

Brian

diem nash
12-16-2001, 03:00 PM
Hi Brian!

Thatīs, what I mean, if I call you a little fighter!
YOU ARE!!! And you enjoy it! Donīt tell me something else!!!

"Tim McGraw's, George Strait's or Toby Kieth...They are TINY artists compared to garth."
Well, donīt tell this their fans! Not all fans are so kind and wonderful like Garthīs!!! ;)

"Apart from two songs I LOVE the album..."
I am confused! ;)
"...and have my fair share of copies now"
Even more confused!!! ;)

Madeleine

gbkubfan
12-16-2001, 03:33 PM
Hey...

Its all relative. Garth's sales are down from his previous CDs, Michael Jackson is down from previous Cds, NSYNC is down from previous Cds, Britney is down from previos CDs. The whole music industry is down as far as sales go. People aren't buying CDs, they either don't have the money, they burn a copy or they download it of the Internet. Basing sales on CDs sold is in the past. We are past the hey day of selling lots of CDs to a mass audience. Without the tricks and promotions and cut rate discounting, CDs wouldnt sell as many as they do now. I checked the sales ads today and I see some of the top ten CDs selling for $10. Last week at same store they were $14. I mean Creed is #1 and its for sale at $10. I think people will buy their favorite artist but the borderline fan is going to wait until it has 3 or 4 hits before they buy the CD. But their will always be crazy nutts like me who buy Garth's CD for all his friends and family etc. A very good friend will be getting a Garth gift set that includes, Magic Of Xmas, the Call Me Claus single CD, a non-1st edition cover of Scarecrow (already send him the 1st edition cover), a copy of the video of Call Me Claus, and the Anniversary edition of Garth Brooks. He already has the first CD but not the anniversary cover. Garth will continue to sell despite not matching the crazy numbers of the past decade. But times have changed, the singles which use to propel the market died, and now the music industry will find something else to hook fans into the business. JMHO

Pilgrim
12-16-2001, 06:15 PM
Madeleine'

Thatīs, what I mean, if I call you a little fighter!
YOU ARE!!! And you enjoy it! Donīt tell me something else!!!
I think YOU are the fighter because you disagree with me! How about that.

Well, donīt tell this their fans! Not all fans are so kind and wonderful like Garthīs!!!
Most of them are:)

Why are you confused about the last two comments???:confused:
What's there to be confused about???

Kub,
Good points!

Brian:)

MT4GB
12-16-2001, 06:46 PM
Okay I am going to say my opinion on this thread!

Now what is the big deal with the numbers here! I like Scarecrow and I think that Garth should be proud of it! I thought the reason why Garth does these cds is because he wants to share his talent with us and to help people through his music!

I admit when Shania beat Garth out in the best selling country cd I got a little upset-I then asked my self what does she have that Garth does not-of course that is a totally separate subject-:D :D

I say lets enjoy Garth's music without worrying about how many he sold!

Nancy

Pilgrim
12-16-2001, 06:54 PM
I knwo what she have that he does not have unless he eat an huge amount of Taco bell;) The answer is....

(o)(o)

Brian *running*:p

MT4GB
12-16-2001, 06:59 PM
Geez Brian I could not imagine what that could be :p :rolleyes:

Nancy :rolleyes:

Pilgrim
12-16-2001, 07:04 PM
Oh:o

brian:p

jstensig
12-16-2001, 07:23 PM
*LOL Brian

You are aiming for the lowest common denominator.;)

Jakob

allisonv7
12-17-2001, 01:16 AM
Originally posted by countryLadywest
Dont say nothing bad about Garth are you a real fan?

you have no idea how real of a fan i am :)

allison.

honky
12-17-2001, 02:37 AM
1.4 million suck when you think about who we are talking about.

The album is still selling... it's not the end of the sales.

Tommy

honky
12-17-2001, 02:39 AM
Hmmm. Brian, are you playing games here?

Tommy

Pilgrim
12-17-2001, 04:12 AM
Playing games??:confused:

Brian

honky
12-17-2001, 06:31 AM
if you don't get it, then it's ok...

Pilgrim
12-17-2001, 06:36 AM
No, what did you mean??:confused:

Brian

honky
12-17-2001, 06:39 AM
it's ok.. nothin'. I was in a bad mood.

I have no right to tell you anything. I am not you and you are not me.

Tommy

Pilgrim
12-17-2001, 06:53 AM
So come on bro, spill the beans;)

Brian

tearin' it up
12-17-2001, 04:19 PM
i find kinda funny that creed has been #1 for the last 3 weeks and isnt platinum but garth is 3 times

honky
12-17-2001, 05:51 PM
I guess RIAA judges the rate of selling (which is pretty good so far) that might reach 3 millions eventually. And that's how much they have shiped. But it's interesting that even Britney has not certifications yet... weird stuff..

Tommy

cg2gb
12-17-2001, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by Pilgrim
1.4 million is not much *LOL* Actually it is quite poor numbers for his "last" album.
Obviously people got tired of his multicover tricks to sell more albums.

Brian

Considering the economy here in the us has been in the toilet for the past 8 months, 1.4 million are really good numbers! Music sales have been down!
I don't consider it a "trick", Garth was a marketing major in college. Why do people bash him for using his creativity, not to mention the expensive college tuition his parents shelled out!? Why shouldn't he use his education?

trish

Pilgrim
12-17-2001, 06:24 PM
Trish,

Considering the economy here in the us has been in the toilet for the past 8 months, 1.4 million are really good numbers! Music sales have been down
I agree. And it was actually what I said would happen even BEFORE Bush was elected, IF he ended up being the President. But no one agreed on that:rolleyes:
Still I think it is quite low for Garth. I am quite confident that he would maybe have passed 2 millions if he had released another song rather than WUIY. He scared the sh*t out of many fans with the CG project.

I don't consider it a "trick", Garth was a marketing major in college. Why do people bash him for using his creativity, not to mention the expensive college tuition his parents shelled out!? Why shouldn't he use his education?
Nope, it's not really a trick. It's plain obvious it is done for the numbers only.
It certainly doesn't have anything to do with creativity.

brian

Sxycwgl999
12-17-2001, 06:46 PM
I'm going to go ahead and put my opinion in here. I just don't get it. Who can you say 1.4 million is bad? Hmmmm...how many albums have you sold? Yea, that's what I thought!! I'm sorry but, Brian, you have got things messed up. I don't see how you can claim to be a Garth fan. From all the post's I've read the only things you have to say about Garth are bad. Some Garth fan

"Get on and Ride"
Amy

Sim
12-17-2001, 07:36 PM
*** They are TINY artists compared to garth. Sure, they sell albums, but they are just not played enough outside USA which again say they are not worth that much to people. ........***

Just to let you know that Scarecrow has not been promoted in Australia. I realise that it might not make a huge impact on the sales but the chat this week is the first promotion I have seen. Anyone in OZ and I think NZ who know about the album, found out about it here on PG.

We still havent seen a video clip and Dr Pepper isnt so big down here, I certainly havent seen the TV commercial.

Once word gets out down here, I am suer there will be a further increase in the sales.

Sim

Garthmedic
12-17-2001, 08:25 PM
In my opinion, Brian is a fan of Garth's music, just not of Garth himself.

Am I even close, Brian?

--spud--:)

MT4GB
12-17-2001, 08:49 PM
Why are people jumping on Brian's back about his comments about Scarecrow!

I enjoy Garth's music but I really do not care about how many cds he sells-I just want to sit back and enjoy the music!

I mean come on now life is too short to worry if Garth is the best selling artist of all time! I want to remember Garth for what he is-a wonderful entertainer with one of the biggest kindest hearts out there-not because he sold more country cds then Shania Twain or Tim McGraw!

Nancy

honky
12-18-2001, 02:03 AM
lol.. Tim is not even in competition..

Pilgrim
12-18-2001, 03:42 AM
Yup Spud, :)

Maybe Amy would buy my collection since she is such a smart allec??:confused:

Brian

Sxycwgl999
12-18-2001, 09:49 AM
I was born a smart allec so callin' me that really doesn't bother me. I've been called every name in the book. I didn't mean to jump on your back I was just upset. Plus it was just my opinion, not that it matters that much..lol. Anyways, sorry if I made anyone upset.

"Get on and Ride"
Amy

Pilgrim
12-18-2001, 09:55 AM
Peace, Amy???:)

Brian

cg2gb
12-18-2001, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by Pilgrim
Trish,

I agree. And it was actually what I said would happen even BEFORE Bush was elected, IF he ended up being the President. But no one agreed on that:rolleyes:
Still I think it is quite low for Garth. I am quite confident that he would maybe have passed 2 millions if he had released another song rather than WUIY. He scared the sh*t out of many fans with the CG project.

brian

I agree with you on the Bush subject....that's all i'll say about that! Yes the numbers are low for Garth!
I don't understand why Garth got so bashed w/ the CG project, that's how I got into Garth....David Bowie did it many years ago...(switched characters). I believe several other artist did something similiar as well, just can't think of who right now! I guess the saying is true, If you please all the people all time, you're bound to piss someone off! As far as scaring his fans, I don't see what the big deal is about CG project. It was done for a movie, it wasn't a failure. Didn't it sell over 1 million copies, or somewhere close?

trish

cg2gb
12-18-2001, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by Sxycwgl999
I'm going to go ahead and put my opinion in here. I just don't get it. Who can you say 1.4 million is bad? Hmmmm...how many albums have you sold? Yea, that's what I thought!! I'm sorry but, Brian, you have got things messed up. I don't see how you can claim to be a Garth fan. From all the post's I've read the only things you have to say about Garth are bad. Some Garth fan

"Get on and Ride"
Amy

I believe Brian is a fan, he's just boldly HONEST, and people can't understand that! Nor, do they like it! If he wasn't a fan he wouldn't be wasting his time here at PG...Plus, he's funny! Loved the shania drawing...LOL....

trish

jstensig
12-18-2001, 10:42 AM
Trish.

Exactly!!!! I think he'd agree on that.

Jakob

Sxycwgl999
12-18-2001, 03:15 PM
Peace Brian!! =0)

Amy

Pilgrim
12-18-2001, 06:32 PM
Amy,
:D

Trish,
Thanks for the nice words:cool:
I don't understand why people don't like the CG project either. It's a brilliant CD.
But being a bruce Springsteen fan I am kinda used to it *LOL*
When he released "The Ghost Of Tom Joad" Bruce fans thought he had gone insane. Also the two albums "Lucky Town" and "Human Touch" is very very "hated" by the fans. Atleast there is only 2 Garth songs I absolutely totally dislike.
On bruce message boards you can say your honest opinion about his albums, songs or whatever, and I like that. Also if someone totally trash my favorite song I am fine with it. No problem:)

Brian

cg2gb
12-18-2001, 06:42 PM
You're Welcome ;)

Well, critics will be critics!

trish

Jilco
12-18-2001, 07:01 PM
*** They are TINY artists compared to garth. Sure, they sell albums, but they are just not played enough outside USA which again say they are not worth that much to people. ........***

They aren't tiny artist Brian........They may not be selling to Garths standards but they are far from 'Tiny' and I live in Austrlia.

:)

Simon

Sxycwgl999
12-19-2001, 12:10 PM
Once again I have to put my two cents in..go figure..LOL I thought the CG project was great. I love the CD. I listen to it all the time!! And yes I agree they are not Tiny artist, but they still aren't as big as Garth is. But I'm sure someday they might be. Once again...just my two cents..lol

"Get on and Ride"
Amy

theFEVER
12-29-2001, 05:59 PM
This is some of the funniest stuff i've ever read! Your trying to say that Bush has something to do with weak sales numbers for Scarecrow? Let's see, ITLOCG is the worst selling record of Garth's career so i guess thats Clintons fault, right. FH is the worst selling country record he's put out, i guess thats Clintons fault also. But lets go a step further. I guess we can go ahead and give Bush sr. the credit for the sales of GB, NF, AND RTW. Come on people leave partisan politics out of this conversation. I don't know of one person who wants this record but just cant buy it because of the economy. Thats stupid. Whats cutting into record sales WORLDWIDE is the internet and people basically not having to go buy something in order to get it. Scarecrow is starting to show signs of longevity on the chart and if that continues he could in fact be looking at some really big numbers for this album. Which he'll get the credit for not George Bush, Right???
Marc