PJ
12-10-2001, 04:54 PM
http://www.country.com/news/feat/gbrooks.121001.jhtml

PJ
12-10-2001, 05:15 PM
Garth in Top Form for Lime Creek Christmas

Outside, the brand-name bazaars of Nashville's Opry Mills beckoned
yuletide browsers with all manner of urban delights. But inside the
BellSouth Acuff Theater next door, folks were enjoying a rural Wyoming Christmas -- with Garth Brooks leading the carols.

The event was the Sunday evening (Dec. 9) presentation of Joe Henry's Lime
Creek Christmas, a cozy marriage of lyrical prose and seasonal music. Actor
Anthony Zerbe read winter reminiscences from Henry's novel-in-progress,
while Brooks and singer-songwriter Beth Nielsen Chapman interspersed the
readings with songs. The three performed side-by-side on a set constructed
of piled bales of hay and evergreen trees. On the previous evening, the
three had performed the show in Sheridan, Wyo.

Brooks, whose entrance sparked wild cheers and a summer storm of camera
flashes, wore a long-sleeved, red and gray flannel shirt with the tail out,
cargo pants and a baseball cap. He and Chapman accompanied themselves on
acoustic guitars, sometimes singing solo, sometimes harmonizing.

Although the house was full, Brooks maintained a fireside intimacy by
chatting good-naturedly with the crowd as he introduced and performed his
songs. He did not, however, dominate the proceedings. Zerbe held the
audience spellbound as he read Henry's vivid vignettes of ranch life. And
Chapman earned the only standing ovation during the play with her quietly
impassioned rendition of "Ave Maria."

The two singers opened with "The Flame," the Joe Henry/John Jarvis
composition Trisha Yearwood debuted at the end of the 1996 Summer Olympics.
Brooks closed the scripted portion of the show by leading the house in
"Silent Night."

In its strong sense of place, exalted language, gentle whimsy and child-like
level of wonder, Lime Creek Christmas is similar to Dylan Thomas' timeless
short story, A Child's Christmas in Wales. Instead of A Child's one
viewpoint, though, Lime Creek has two -- those of ranch owner Spencer Davis
and his son, Luke.

The most engrossing tale is Spencer's minute-by-minute account of the
difficult birth of a winter foal and the tenderly heroic measures his wife,
Elizabeth, and the veterinarian take to keep the new arrival and its
traumatized mother alive. In another charming story, Luke recalls sneaking
out to the stable with his brother just after midnight on Christmas Eve in a
comically failed attempt to hear (as they've been told) the animals talk.

Other songs featured in the 90-minute production were "Colorado Christmas,"
"Joy," "A Baby Just Like You," "Mary Had a Little Lamb," "The Little Drummer
Boy," "Away in a Manger," "Christmas for Cowboys" and "Belleau Wood."

Brooks brought the normally reclusive Henry on stage for the curtain call.
But the audience wasn't ready for the evening to end. After sustained
applause drew the cast back to the stage for an encore, Chapman told the
audience that this time a year ago she was taking chemotherapy treatments
for breast cancer. Unaware that she was ill, she said, Brooks called her and
proposed co-writing a song. When she told him of her problem, she continued,
Brooks gave her $100,000 he had earned from appearing on Hollywood Squares
and told her to contribute it to breast cancer relief.

Chapman then sang "Years," her song about going home for Christmas and one
of Brooks' favorites. Brooks followed with a story about his 9-year-old
daughter springing the question on him, "Daddy, what's sex." This led to his
reading Henry's poem about Bosko Brckic and Admira Ismic, the young lovers
from opposing camps, who were killed in 1993 by snipers as they attempted to
flee Sarajevo together. He concluded the encore by singing "Blood Is Thicker
Than Water" from his new album, Scarecrow. Many in the crowd sang along.

Proceeds from the show will be donated to Gilda's Club of Nashville and the
Opry Trust Fund.

cg2gb
12-10-2001, 05:23 PM
another report of the Lime Creek is at www.countrystars.com

thanks PJ

trish

Garth_FANtasizer
12-10-2001, 05:46 PM
Great articles! Thanks PJ & Trish!

~Ann~

evrywoman
12-10-2001, 08:59 PM
Thanks PJ for the "positive" article about the LC concert-- Steve & I just returned home from Nville and brought along the Tennessean ... sorry, I don't know how to do a link- BUT - here's the title of the review by Mr. Kevin Nance - "Rude Audience spoils Lime Creek"--dated Monday Dec. 10th
THE NERVE of this Mr. Nance!! while the article you posted is much more to MY liking- this guy really puts the audience down :( :( He seems to think WE "treated the event as just another raucous Garth Brooks photo op." !! UGH!! sorry, I'm trying to be very diplomatic about this article -maybe after some others read it they can shed some light on where this reporter is coming from.- he calls the audience rude? I think Mr. Nance fits that description himself! Ok- I usually don't get on the soapbox- so I'll quietly go back to my lurking!

Bonnie

Garthfan92
12-10-2001, 09:05 PM
Bonnie, are you kidding? He wanted us to sing along if we knew the songs! Some people just don't get what something like this is about. Such a small intimate show is supposed to draw the audience in even more. And no one can say we didn't recognize Anthony and Beth! They got a wonderful response from the audience as well.

Lisa

Vanessa
12-10-2001, 10:26 PM
that was a wonderful article PJ..thanks for the link :) :)

Vanesa :)

redstrokes77
12-11-2001, 08:14 AM
Monday, 12/10/01
Review: Rude audience spoils 'Lime Creek'

By KEVIN NANCE
Staff Writer

The clear intent of Lime Creek Christmas, the 70-minute holiday show
featuring Garth Brooks, actor Anthony Zerbe and singer-songwriter Beth
Nielsen Chapman last night at Opryland's Acuff Theatre, was to be quiet,
poetic and, above all, reverent.

The old and new Christmas songs, beautifully performed by Brooks and
Chapman with only their own acoustic guitars, and Zerbe's lulling
readings from Joe Henry's nostalgic novel-in-progress about winter on a
Wyoming ranch, were meant to conjure a simpler, kinder time and place.

But most of the evening's impact was destroyed by a rude audience, many
of whose members treated the event as just another raucous Garth Brooks
photo op.
From the moment Brooks appeared onstage in a ball cap and plaid flannel
shirt, the flash photography was blinding and relentless, filling the
room with a light show more appropriate to the Fourth of July than
Christmas.

The intrusion was aural as well as visual; at times, you could barely
hear the singers for the clicking and focusing of electronic lenses.

With Brooks doing his best to move them with his simple, gorgeous
renditions of The Little Drummer Boy, Away in a Manger and Silent Night,
many audience members did their best to turn the evening into a mini-Fan
Fair.

Camcorders whirred. Cell phones rang repeatedly. When the woman in front
of me wasn't aiming her camera (with its telephoto lens the size of a
bazooka) at Brooks, she made four different calls, alternately chatting
and holding her cell phone in the air.

The lowest point: In the midst of one of Zerbe's most delicate
monologues, some jerk yelled, ''We love you, Garth!''
Maybe. Love means respect, and last night's audience had far too little
of it.

deb

Pilgrim
12-11-2001, 08:25 AM
*ROFLMAO*:D:D

How embarrassing for Garth:(

Brian:)

Garth_FANtasizer
12-11-2001, 09:39 AM
What a scrooge! :rolleyes:

~Ann~

PJ
12-11-2001, 10:06 AM
I was there and I would agree with this writer a wee bit. The cell phones ringing during the show was VERY annoying and rude in my opinion, but I don't think the taking of pictures would distract the performers. However, there were those who would get up and climb over an entire row of people to get out while Garth was singing which was also very rude. They could have at least waited for a break between songs. The people running up to the stage to take pix was a bit much too.

redstrokes77
12-11-2001, 12:05 PM
Thanks so much for an honest review PJ!

I didn't want to post my comments since I wasn't there but I couldn't help but think of what the people who WEREN'T Garth fans thought of it. Believe it or not I bet some folks went to see Anthony or Beth and NOT Garth.

deb

evrywoman
12-11-2001, 06:31 PM
OK- so I've calmed down a bit! LOL!
I guess the thing that urks me is that a lot of the disturbances could have been avoided if simple measures would have been taken by the Acuff staff - such as, WHY were ppl allowed to go up to the front of the stage to take pics?? I was at the Johnny Russell tribute and before the show began, a gentleman came out on the stage and announced that we were NOT allowed to leave our seats- as for the cell phones, well- that was a shame that some ppl don't have enough common sense to turn off their silly phones while at a play...
goes to show everyone has a point of view :)

Bonnie

okioreo
12-11-2001, 07:22 PM
I see the point about the picture taking right at the edge of the stage but as a parent of 4 there is no WAY I would go out for a night like that and not have my cell phone on. You just never know.......
As for the singing along, wild horses could not keep me from humming right along with the man!
I will just keep hoping that one day sometime in the future I will get a chance...***sniff***
:)

PJ
12-11-2001, 08:16 PM
Most cell phones do have a setting for SILENT where the phone will light up or vibrate instead of ring for an incoming call.

allisonv7
12-11-2001, 10:06 PM
I bought a copy of the paper and just was able to sit and read the article this afternoon when I got home. It seems to me that most (I know there are a few excections) journalists like to rip on Garth. Garth put on a great show and this guy couldnt find anything bad to say about it, so he turns his ill words towards us, the fans. I'm sorry, but that just bothers me, he does have a point with the cell phone thing, those things should be turned off. People came from all over the country for this, they're going to take pictures, I wasnt distracted by it at all. I still find myself chuckling because of all the things this guy could've written about the show he chose to write about rude fans, do the readers really want that? I'm more interested in what actually went on on the stage.

allison.

Cathy Welch
12-12-2001, 01:52 PM
I'm going to have to throw my two cents in here. I wasn't there, although I wished I could have been, but I'm trying to see it through this reviewer's eyes.

I suspect that he is a theatre critic, he attends these kinds of shows regularly, and expects the proper decorum and manners from people when attending a theatre production. It sure looks like a few people left their manners at home.

Granted, the theatre should have established some rules before the show began such as no pictures from the front, any picture taking should be confined to breaks in the performances, and cell phones should be off or silent. On the other hand, most of these things are pure common sense and they were probably trying to the give the audience some benefit of the doubt.

Mr. Nance did not appear to have any problem with the show itself, just the lack of respect emanating from the audience. Yes, we all love Garth, but love and respect are different things. There was obviously very little respect for Garth (and how he might have been embarrassed at this behaviour), the other performers on the stage, and the other theatre patrons who were not there to go gaga over Garth. It appears some of these fans were brought up in the barn you were all supposed to be sitting in.

I'm embarrassed for Garth that he had to witness fans like these. I thought Garth fans had more class than that.

Cathy

cg2gb
12-12-2001, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by redstrokes77
Monday, 12/10/01

When the woman in front
of me wasn't aiming her camera (with its telephoto lens the size of a
bazooka)

**chuckling to the description of the camera*****

Cell phones ringing at a play, rude!
yelling "we love you garth" during a performers performace (not garth's) is also rude!

I think this guy went a bit far w/ his review, or should I say fan bashing....

trish

fuzzwuzz
12-12-2001, 04:24 PM
I should like to know how Taylor's asking what is sex has to do with those lover's being killed by snipers! Can anyone explain? Or tell us the poem and the story behind these two lovers?

allisonv7
12-12-2001, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by fuzzwuzz
I should like to know how Taylor's asking what is sex has to do with those lover's being killed by snipers! Can anyone explain? Or tell us the poem and the story behind these two lovers?

I was wondering the same thing.....maybe he just thought Taylor's comment was funny and he had to add it in somewhere, I got a laugh out of it. Also, was that story he told about the lovers true? or was it just a poem?

allison.

diem nash
12-12-2001, 06:38 PM
Sorry, but I found that article funny. I mean, I can imagine, that it seems like that for some people. I mean all the cell phones, the lights by making pics (I love the "bazooka-story"! Itīs just funny! :D ), the "noise" some crazy fans made... I can see it! And if it happened that way, than some things he said are right. But at all Iīm a Garth-Brooks-Fan first. Well, a shy one, but a fan! :) So I can understand the fans, too. A lot moved a long way to see him. A lot for the first time. Seeing your idol is an event, nothing and nobody can top! So, the other people should be a little more relaxed and let the fans have some fun!
I donīt think, that Garth was ashamed or embarrassed. I canīt see it on any pic and Garth knows his crazy fans best!!! I donīt think, that there were some problems for the three at the stage!
It was a very special night! ;)

"I should like to know how Taylor's asking what is sex has to do with those lover's being killed by snipers! Can anyone explain? Or tell us the poem and the story behind these two lovers?"
Dale, unfortunately I canīt follow you. Could you help me a little, please?! Thank you! Very kind! :)

Madeleine

Pilgrim
12-12-2001, 06:44 PM
Granted, the theatre should have established some rules before the show began such as no pictures from the front, any picture taking should be confined to breaks in the performances, and cell phones should be off or silent. On the other hand, most of these things are pure common sense and they were probably trying to the give the audience some benefit of the doubt.
Exactly Cathy:) Common sense is the key word.
And if all of the above fail, the artist should speak up and tell them to be quiet. But knowing Garth is a chicken who apparently is afraid of correcting his fans that would never happen.
Embarrassing for him and the other performers.

Brian

fuzzwuzz
12-12-2001, 10:50 PM
If Garth is a chicken what does that make you Brian? Could it be another animal that fits in nicely on that stage setting? ;) Madeleine, if I was you, DON'T follow me ok? I may get into some trouble here all by myself!

Pilgrim
12-13-2001, 03:47 AM
That would make me a Lion;)

Brian

diem nash
12-13-2001, 05:01 AM
"Madeleine, if I was you, DON'T follow me ok? I may get into some trouble here all by myself!"
Real funny, Dale! :) But believe me, I am "mad" enough to handle that! My nickname is not without a reason Maddy! ;)
By the way, I just wanted to know, what you meant with the story of Taylor.

Brian - Garth a chicken and you a lion?! There you can see, how far away you are from reality! ;)

Madeleine

Pilgrim
12-13-2001, 05:04 AM
Well, maybe I'm not a lion;) But he's definitely a chicken:)

Brian

fuzzwuzz
12-14-2001, 12:28 AM
Oh Maddy! What ever charm you got on that cowardly lion worked!

Pilgrim
12-14-2001, 05:55 AM
I'm a tiger:D

Brian

gbcrazy
12-14-2001, 09:58 AM
Hi all. I was at the theatre also. I was center section 6th row. I can tell you this.

Cell Phones was ringing and I found it very annoying especially during the reading of the stories. I have children also but I also put my phone on silent or vibrate.

As far as taking pictures during the breaks, there was no breaks in the performance. Once it started one thing lead into another. I mean literally all you had was Two stacks of hay and Anthony sitting on one stack and Garth and Beth on the other.

I did not hear anyone yell during the reading of the stories but I was also dealing with my 6 year old son who was jumping on my lap because Garth was on stage! However during the time Garth was telling how he was taught to tell the people you love that you Love them. I was one of the people who yelled Love You Garth. And trust me he was not offended as he actually smiled and looked at us and said Love you too.

Now yes at the beginning of the show there was a lazar show with the flashes no doubt, but let me tell you anyone who could have seen the look on Garths face he was quite amused and no offense to Garth but he was eating it up. As a matter of fact Jason has quite a nice pic of the tounge in cheek picture.

The only time I seen anything but smiles or laughs from Garth was when the camcorder started beeping and Taylor was playing with it trying to get it going and Garth pulled the Daddy look out. It was only for a sec and anyone who wasn't in eye shot of the girls and could see what was going on wouldn't have realized what it was all about.

The show was fantastic and Garth knew the audience would cheer for him just as we did for Anthony and Beth. As a matter of fact Beth recieved a standing ovation and quite a few hollars herself.

I enjoyed it and yes the cameras went off but remember we were in a small theatre that was very dark and everyone was close together so the effect did seen a little more extravagant than usual, but it did eventually die down.

Oh and Taylors sex question was Garths way of leading into "Love". He said he didn't have anything to say even though he had rehearsed over and over again for the situation. But he was sure to tell her that is was a very good thing and it had to do with Love. Then he addressed Romeo and Juliet and how they were basically just misinformed teens who really didn't know what love was that lead to the two being killed while trying to run away from there countries so they wouldn't have to fight each others families, and they died in each others embrace for the Love they had for one another. You would just have to hear the whole story but it is a very moving story.

Terry

diem nash
12-14-2001, 10:40 AM
"Oh Maddy! What ever charm you got on that cowardly lion worked!"
;)

"I'm a tiger"
Miau! ;)

Terry, thank you for giving me an answer about the "Taylor-Story" finally. "Someone else" wasnīt able to! ;) Well, I got a little help on another thread! :)
And thank you for sharing your memories and experiences with us!

Madeleine

sandytoo
12-14-2001, 01:43 PM
OK, my seven cents worth on the fans' behavior during the show. I agree with several points made in this thread:

- cell phones ringing during the show was rude and uncalled for. And if I piss anyone off with this next statement, so sorry. But if you can't spare having your cell phone off for 70 minutes because you have to be at your childrens' beckon call, then maybe you shouldn't attend events like this where the phones should be OFF.

- people running down the aisles and climbing out over others to get closer for picture taking was also rude. Thanks to some of you for getting in between my camera (from my seat I might add) and the stage !!

- gbcrazy was right - Garth did enjoy the "laser show" of flashes when he first came on stage !!

- I have other comments and opinions, but responses to some comments aren't worth the effort...

PJ
12-14-2001, 01:52 PM
To add to the "What's sex" story, Garth said what he wanted to emphasize to his girls was that Love was more important than sex. The Greatest Gift is LOVE!

fuzzwuzz
12-14-2001, 11:14 PM
I heard on the Garthbox that Garth called Romeo and Juliet "cowards" and those other two 'heros". Is that true? Would it have to do with how they each handled their similar situation?

Anyway, thanks all for the Love connection to Garth's story. Makes great,simple sense to me!

PJ
12-15-2001, 08:14 AM
Yes, that is exactly what Garth said. Romeo and Juliet wouldn't stand up to their families and declare their love, but the serb and the muslim did and ended up dying because they wouldn't let anything come between them.

The funny part was that while Garth was reciting this touching story, he forgot the words, He asked Joe Henry to help him out and Joe went through his book of papers and produced the poem. The fact that Garth forgot the words had everyone laughing (including Garth) so it kind of broke the mood a bit.

diem nash
12-15-2001, 01:43 PM
"The fact that Garth forgot the words had everyone laughing (including Garth)"

Thatīs cute - just human! :) But maybe he needs a better teacher next! ;)

Madeleine