PDA

View Full Version : STUPID thread, but you'll forgive me...

laurieny
12-02-2001, 02:08 PM
OK, this is really dumb and really petty, but you guys are the only people on earth who will get it. (My Garth, I'm sure glad you all exist!)

Am I the only person here who is SICK AND TIRED of hearing this CD referred to as "In the Life of Chris Gaines"?? Are people STUPID?! For the last 2 years I have seen this title everywhere. Hello, look again!! It says "Garth Brooks in... The Life of Chris Gaines." How hard is that to grasp? Aaaaggghhh!!!

OK. I feel better now. Thanks for letting me vent. Believe me when I tell you no one in New York City knows or cares what I'm talking about.

PS: A little CG poll: What side of the CD cover do you use? I keep mine on the "Chris Gaines Greatest Hits" side.

Laurie

Pilgrim
12-02-2001, 04:59 PM
I don't really worry about what they call it *LOL* It's only a CD:)

But I keep mine on both sides:cool:

Brian:)

laurieny
12-02-2001, 05:06 PM
Brian:

FOR SHAME! It's not "only a CD," it's a way of life!!! ;)

Hey, I admitted it was silly. But a lot of life's little irritants, silly as they may be, still stick in your craw sometimes.

I was just wondering if I was the only CG fan who was irritated this.

Wendi5000
12-03-2001, 02:56 PM
With a title that long, people are bound to abbreviate it :).

laurieny
12-03-2001, 03:20 PM
I meant the fact that the "Garth Brooks In..." part goes together, followed by "The Life of Chris Gaines." It's not "Garth Brooks... In the Life of Chris Gaines." It's not "In the Life of Chris Gaines." Garth Brooks is IN "The Life of Chris Gaines."

Like, it's not "Whoopi Goldberg... In Call Me Claus." The movie is "Call Me Claus" and Whoopi Goldberg is "in" it. So it's "Whoopi Goldberg In... Call Me Claus."

OK, now I'm getting all worked up again just trying to explain what I meant!!! I need a vacation!!! LOL!!!!!

Pilgrim
12-03-2001, 05:54 PM
I get your point Laurie:)

And I don't think it is a dumb question either:)

Brian

angelamccann
12-03-2001, 06:35 PM
It's not a dumb question, Laurie - we could probably all mention things that irritate us which no-one else seems to pick up on!

I took a peek at the Capitol-Nashville website where the official titles are listed - http://www.capitol-nashville.com/index.cfm?method=artist.artistdisco&artistid=15&CFID=119820&CFTOKEN=53539027 is Garth's discography page. Glossing over the fact that they seem to have a pic of 'The Magic of Christmas' instead of 'In Pieces' (and the site says 'The Magic of Christmas - Songs from Call Me Claus' instead of 'Garth Brooks and The Magic Of Christmas - Songs from Call Me Claus' as it says on the CD cover, which is a relief as it's always been easier to refer to it as TMOC instead of GB&TMOC!), they do actually list the title as 'In The Life of Chris Gaines'.

As far as covers go, I've got five different versions of the CD - my UK radio promo doesn't have the artwork (so no problem there, it's just orange), my Japanese, UK and US regular editions are all Garth Brooks side out, but my first edition is Chris Gaines side out.

Angela x

laurieny
12-03-2001, 10:26 PM
I stand my ground!!! It is "Garth Brooks In... The Life of Chris Gaines." Not, and I repeat NOT, "Garth Brooks... In the Life of Chris Gaines." The record company folks ought to look at their own CD. THEN THEY WOULD KNOW THE TRUTH!!!!!

Anyone who dares argue with me, let's take it outside!!!!!!! ROTFL!!!!!!!!

Laurie
(clearly on the verge of insanity)

fuzzwuzz
12-04-2001, 02:11 AM
Oh boy oh boy! A feisty red-knuckled Chris Gaines fan like me! Look at my fist Laurie! See all the dried blood and scars? And check out the smoking index finger. I use it to shoot them nasty old crows making themselves too much at home these days. (Don't laugh - that's how I type!) Not bad for a one-shooter eyh?

I have Chris' signature in gold on the jacket cover and it plainly says Chris Gaines Greatest Hits. Says it on the spine too. Who's this Garth character? ;) What's he want with Chris' life?

Angela, by the way, it's Garth Brooks and the (m)agic of Christmas. Now THAT'S a whole 'nother thread like this one right there! Why, it's a sentence. A statement.

I guess I'm like Laurie. I pay attention to small details because remember how the omission of one small word in Garth's Billboard interview last year had him already divorced from Sandy? And the fans, thanks to BlueRose(Cheryl), were the first to find out the truth? That's why, when I quote him, I even allow for his ahs and ohs. That's Garth. Like we know him.

angelamccann
12-04-2001, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by fuzzwuzz
I have Chris' signature in gold on the jacket cover and it plainly says Chris Gaines Greatest Hits. Says it on the spine too. Who's this Garth character? ;) What's he want with Chris' life?

I dunno Fuzz, but one of my copies of the same CD says something different on the spine... The UK edition spine reads 'GARTH BROOKS' in white, then 'IN THE LIFE OF CHRIS GAINES' in red - no dots, no punctuation at all. So clearly this Garth guy gets everywhere :)

Angela, by the way, it's Garth Brooks and the (m)agic of Christmas. Now THAT'S a whole 'nother thread like this one right there! Why, it's a sentence. A statement.

I refer the honourable Fuzz to the link I gave some posts ago - I know full well what it says on the cover but it's not the title as listed by Capitol Nashville on their own website - go tell them, hon! And so I used a capital M instead of a little one - I made a booboo - is that a federal offence these days? :D

Weren't you asking who this Garth character was a minute ago? Wow, you learn fast!

I guess I'm like Laurie. I pay attention to small details because remember how the omission of one small word in Garth's Billboard interview last year had him already divorced from Sandy? And the fans, thanks to BlueRose(Cheryl), were the first to find out the truth? That's why, when I quote him, I even allow for his ahs and ohs. That's Garth. Like we know him.

As it happens, I was right there with Cheryl and the fans when Garth explained things to us that night out back at the Opry. It was 'Sandy and I agree we need to divorce', but many in the media reported it as 'Sandy and I agree to divorce' - I think those were the words. You and Laurie can go and have words with Capitol and we'll see if they change the discography on the website! My money's on... probably not.

Angela x

laurieny
12-04-2001, 09:55 PM
OR-DER!!!!! LOL

Angela, is your UK edition an official one? When I lived there, there was a roaring trade in bootlegs. (Didn't stop me from buying them... if there was something out there by my favorite artist, I wanted one, real or not.) I was just wondering if maybe that's why one of yours is different from all the rest.

My copy (I only have one, alas...) reads "Chris Gaines Greatest Hits" on the spine. No mention of that Garth character.

You know, I have seen more typos on CDs, websites etc. than I care to think about. As a professional editor, it drives me insane. I see typos in ads, packaging, on TV... everywhere! It's one thing when normal people make them (I'm sure I make a few in my posts), but I see them in materials that probably passed through dozens of "professional" hands, checked and rechecked. How does this happen? I think I must say at least twice a week, "doesn't anybody proofread this stuff?!" I've seen companies spell the name of their own product wrong in their ads and on their packaging. Nobody ever notices.

Since you're in the UK, you can go have a look at one of the recent greatest hits CDs by the band All About Eve (my favorite band ever). It's called "Winter Words: Hits and Rareties." Which is a lovely name. Except that "Rareties" is actually spelled "Rarities" in real life. ;)

laurieny
12-05-2001, 12:26 AM
Hey Angela... I just went over to that Capitol Records site, to the official Garth page, and was invited to vote for my "favorite Brooks Garth song."

ROTFL!!!!!!! Just goes to show ya... ;)

laurieny
12-05-2001, 12:30 AM
OOPS, it's to REQUEST my favorite Brooks Garth song from my favorite radio station. That is just too funny. They can't even get their own artist's name right on his own official discography page. Is there any real hope for CD titles?

Pilgrim
12-05-2001, 03:29 AM
I HATE typo's on CD's:eek:

I have seen some pretty harsh ones especialy on boots.

Brian

Garth_FANtasizer
12-05-2001, 07:50 AM
Here is some interesting tidbits about the covers.

On the Garth side of the CD, It has

"garth brooks in...
... the life of chris gaines"

All in lower case letters. The other side has:

"Chris Gaines Greatest Hits"

all in Caps.

On the spine it has Chris Gaines (in white) Greatest Hits (in red) all in caps.

On the single though for lost in you, It says "garth brooks as chris gaines" again in lower case. The spine says garth brooks (in white) lost in you (in blue.)

I don't have a point ot make, just noticed the differences. Its early in the morning and you people have me checking spines and covers! LOL
I need to get more coffee!

~Ann~

laurieny
12-05-2001, 08:36 AM
Brian.... at least bootlegs have an excuse! ;)

Off to request my favorite Brooks Garth song! Thank you, Capitol Nashville!!!!!! ROTFL!!!

Have a great day, everyone! :)

fuzzwuzz
12-06-2001, 01:00 AM
Angela, do you really mean it when you call me honourable? Or is it making fun of me? Or just a joke? I can't tell. Sounds like you accuse me of being a judge but it's actually in reverse by calling me a title I don't deserve. You found the descrepancies on Capitol's site so don't you think you should tell them, not I?

Maybe the record companies need to realize the fans notice and pay attention to even the smallest things. So why don't they?

angelamccann
12-06-2001, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by laurieny
OR-DER!!!!! LOL

I'll have two pina coladas, please. Thank you :)

Angela, is your UK edition an official one? When I lived there, there was a roaring trade in bootlegs. (Didn't stop me from buying them... if there was something out there by my favorite artist, I wanted one, real or not.) I was just wondering if maybe that's why one of yours is different from all the rest.

There's a simple answer to that one - I don't buy bootlegs. The version of the CD released in the UK doesn't have 'CHRIS GAINES GREATEST HITS' on the spine, it has 'GARTH BROOKS IN THE LIFE OF CHRIS GAINES' with the colours I mentioned earlier. The catalogue number is 7243-5-23173-2-5. Don't ask me why (the Japanese one has 'garth brooks in... the life of chris gaines' on the spine, not to mention a title in Japanese which I can't make out on a spinecard on the other side)! The UK version is still widely available in all good record stores over here - I did look at several in different stores before I bought it, because it took me a while to figure out what was different. 'Lost In You' has the same spine reading on the CD release here - but then we got the video as an extra on the single, and I can't figure that one out either!

My copy (I only have one, alas...) reads "Chris Gaines Greatest Hits" on the spine. No mention of that Garth character.

Both my US copies are like that - who knows why it was changed for other versions, unless it was to ensure lunatic collectors would track down as many different ones as they could (I appear to be talking about myself here...)?

You know, I have seen more typos on CDs, websites etc. than I care to think about. As a professional editor, it drives me insane. I see typos in ads, packaging, on TV... everywhere! It's one thing when normal people make them (I'm sure I make a few in my posts), but I see them in materials that probably passed through dozens of "professional" hands, checked and rechecked. How does this happen? I think I must say at least twice a week, "doesn't anybody proofread this stuff?!" I've seen companies spell the name of their own product wrong in their ads and on their packaging. Nobody ever notices.

Tell me about it! I work closely with the publishing industry and it drives me crazy seeing what they allow to be published - there's too much reliance on computer spellcheckers and not enough on people who can actually spell or use grammar correctly.

Since you're in the UK, you can go have a look at one of the recent greatest hits CDs by the band All About Eve (my favorite band ever). It's called "Winter Words: Hits and Rareties." Which is a lovely name. Except that "Rareties" is actually spelled "Rarities" in real life. ;)

Wow - now you're taking me back... I remember seeing All About Eve on Top Of The Pops around 1987, doing 'Martha's Harbour' - but there was a problem with the sound, the audience watching at home could hear but the studio couldn't (this was a live performance), and for the whole of the first verse it was painful to watch. Lovely song though - thanks for the reminder :)

Fuzz, you're always honourable - I'm not using it as an insult, why would I? It's something said in our Parliament on a regular basis (admittedly none of our MPs are called Fuzz...). As far as discrepancies, well, if Capitol post an album title I'm assuming that's the official title as listed on their catalog, so if you think it's something different, it's up to you to chase Capitol, not me to do it on your behalf. Same as if I think something's incorrect it's up to me to contact them and ask why it's listed that way.

Angela x

laurieny
12-06-2001, 05:45 PM
Oh Angela, what a painful memory, that awful TOTP episode!!!!! Julianne was so mortified she at first refused their invitation to come back the next week. She finally accepted, but insisted that she be allowed to sing live. She did, and was as wonderful as ever.

What they used to do (they may or not still do this) was have the performer come in earlier that day and record a live version of the song, which they would play back during the broadcast so it appeared the artist was performing live (although they were just miming to their earlier recording). If the artist sang live, TOTP was legally obligated to pay them for a live concert performance, as opposed to the much lower "personal appearance" fee. They still do that over here too, which is why so many artists (especially Latin ones, for some reason) mime to their songs even at actual concerts. I hate it.

So anyway, what happened that night was while the "live" recording was played for the TV audience, they never turned on the sound in the studio. Viewers heard the song, but she just heard silence and waited for the song to begin. It was horrible. As you obviously remember, almost 14 years later!

Next time they charted, she sang live too. Lucky for her she's one of the few (LIKE GARTH!!!) who doesn't need studio tricks to sound great. :-)

fuzzwuzz
12-07-2001, 01:59 AM
Well Angela, I guess I still don't get it. Why would you compare me to Parliament? It's like you said, they wouldn't be called fuzz so why is it okay to turn around and call me 'honourable'? Is this some sort of double-standard they use?

I'm not up to to telling every place I see their error about the lower case on Garth Brooks and the magic of Christmas. Plus the fact it's a sentence, not Garth Brooks: The Magic of Christmas, or simply The Magic of Christmas. Anyway, I was merely pointing it out on this thread. I have noticed though even the fans don't get it right with both these albums on this thread. I make mistakes too but I try hard not to. I prefer to post titles just the way they are printed on the CD. Same with title's to movies and tv shows. As Laurie so nicely pointed out, it helps keep it title's meaning less confusing as a whole and should add to the music's content, not distract from it.

But you know people, there are deliberate twists and changes and spelling to known words on song and album titles, and band's names even, that helps put a whole new slant on the words meaning. Can anyone think of any? Right off the bat, I think of that Christian Rock band Stryper(by His stripes we are healed). And they wore the yellow and black striped tights that jumped at us like a caution sign. And they sounded so much like Van Halen. I hear they are making a comeback album. Oh, and by the way, their symbol was 777(as opposed to 666)! Way cool!

laurieny
12-07-2001, 11:04 AM
Wow! STRYPER!!!!! There's a name I haven't heard in a while! LOL They were cool. Are they still around, Dale?

Guys, let's not fight. :( I'm kind of sorry I started the whole thing now. We're all here for the same reason, and sometimes we might point out itty-bitty little things that matter to Garth (or of course Chris) fans but not to the rest of humanity... for fun and lighthearted conversation, not to insult each other's intelligence.

I know sometimes people take things the wrong way. And sometimes they just came out the wrong way, too That's the trouble with message boards, I guess.

Anyway, in the spirit of Garthness, Christmas and "Right Now," (this is the CG folder, after all...) let's go back to being friends and having fun. I LOVE YOU, MAN!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Pilgrim
12-07-2001, 01:15 PM
Hmmm you got a good point there with the bootlegs;)

I stopped buying them after a crappy sound and heaps of spelling errors in the songs:o
i only bought Bruce Springsteen boots.

Names like....

"Believe Of Faith". The real title is "LEAP Of Faith"
"Brilliont Disgnise". The real titl is of course "Brilliant Disguise"

Oh well...:rolleyes: *LOL*

Brian

fuzzwuzz
12-08-2001, 02:00 AM
Don't panic Laurie! We are all still fast friends here! And yeah. Let's keep Christmas going and going like the energizer bunny! Ya think he snuck on over from last Easter? Lol!

And yeah, Stryper. I LOVE that band!! I saw them live at the To Hell With the Devil tour. The audience was of the most diverse mix I had ever seen. There was a groupie eying the band from where we were sitting way off to the side near the stage entrance. And a guy stoned out of his mind. And then there was us Christians shouting and singing "to hell with the devil" along with the band and whoever else joined in. And yes, the band threw mini Stryper bibles out into the audience and I don't recall any getting left behind on the floor or I would have snatched one up myself! The band looked and sounded great. Like any other popular arena band like Van Halen or Triumph. But the spirit was a bit up a notch. It's not everyday you go to a rock concert hearing "well speak of the devil/he's no friend of mine/to turn from him is what we have in mind/he's never been the answer/there's a better way/we are here to ROCK YOU(much screaming suddenly)AND TO SAY/ TO HELL WITH THE DEVIL! TO HELL WITH THE DEVIL!" And I love their album Soldiers Under Command. The band is dressed in their 'typical' striped yellow and black outfits and are clutching a sword. Way cool! Michael Sweet, the lead singer and songwriter, went solo without his brother Robert on drums, who's been in other bands since, but from things I've read they've reconsidered getting back together for another album soon if not already a concert event.

And in light of the fact we shouldn't be arguing about little mistakes on 'our' music, I want to say, today I stand corrected. By myself! I looked at Garth's recent Christmas CD that I thought I was properly quoting only to find it is NOT Garth Brooks and the magic of Christmas, but Garth Brooks & the magic of Christmas!! See that! I made a boo-boo for quite awhile now! I wonder what's the difference though between using the symbol for 'and' instead of the word itself? But at least I finally caught it. So, no hard feelings with myself. We all make mistakes! Lol!

laurieny
12-08-2001, 10:08 AM
How sad and misguided do you have to be to try to be a groupie at a Stryper concert?! LOL Um, hate to tell ya this, sweetheart, but you're not getting anywhere... ;)

fuzzwuzz
12-09-2001, 12:41 AM
Well Laurie, maybe it was a love for their great music that also got her there, and she did get to hear like we all did that God loves her, and it could be she never knew true love even existed until that day. I was glad to see her there taking in the show along with the band. I knew the band's message would be Loud N' Clear, like their song. But you know what's sad? That there were some Christians at these Stryper concerts who'd rather be outside protesting the band's right to 'preach' to an audience like her. As if the band had no right to be Christian and that churches should boycott their concerts. I'd say Stryper's heart was in the right place. Mine was with them anyway. Their music has been a real blessing in my life.
One thing that stood out at the concert was Robert's cool drum set. It was huge! If I remember correctly it moved and rotated. His drumsticks and all that blonde hair just flew in the air!

laurieny
12-09-2001, 01:40 AM
We must have different definitions of the word "groupie," then, Dale. ;) I got the impression that she was trying to sleep with the band.

That's terrible that people were outside protesting. Their time and energy would have been better spent inside enjoying the band's message. :)

fuzzwuzz
12-09-2001, 03:02 AM
It's also where we are supposed to be working together for the Kingdom. Even Jesus suggested to leave others alone who might seem against us just because they might do things alittle different. That they are still for us.

The groupie thing. Well, as fanatical about music as I am I'd guess you could call me a groupie too. Garth did say music was like sex!! I don't know, but the music seems to have a way of tugging on all us girls heart strings in a very personal way that need not lead to 'other' things. But there is definitely something very compelling about it that others seem to feed off in a very extravagant way.

laurieny
12-09-2001, 11:48 AM
Dale, I've worked in the music business most of my life and you are not a groupie, you are a fan. Groupies run around sleeping with everyone (road crew, etc.) for a chance to sleep with the band. Fans enjoy the music, and when and if they do meet the band, they simply ask for an autograph, a photo and a few kind words. Then they go home... with their clothing and personal dignity intact.

Funny how no one ever calls male fans "groupies," yet female fans are always referred to as such. As if our interest in our favorite male musician, athlete, movie star, etc. is always simply a prelude to an attempt to have sex with him. And of course if he asked, we would simply shed both our clothes and our morals and do it in a second, right? Think again.

Don't ever sell yourself short by using that word to describe yourself, or allowing others to use it. I've seen enough real groupies to last a lifetime, and you ain't one. And that goes for the rest of you Garthnutts, too!!! JUST SAY NO!!! ;)

fuzzwuzz
12-10-2001, 12:06 AM
Laurie, have you seen the movie Almost Famous? They don't like being called groupies, but rather band aids. Because they inspire the music. And when I recently watched Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band with Peter Frampton and the Bee Gees singing Beatle's songs, I noticed Strawberry Fields, the inspiration for the music, was hoped to be turned into a mindless groupie by the FVB(the Future Villian Band), lead by Steven Tyler and Aerosmith singing Come Together(right now, over me.) So enter Penny Lane in Almost Famous. But you know what? She redeems herself, the band AND the music in the end. It's her love of the music that inspires me to no end.

And on a personal note, I have never been involved in the music business but have recently witnessed at work a rising up of young musician hopefuls and I have somehow been of some inspiration to them because I love music and am already their fan without having heard one single note. We are dreaming dreams together to the point that they have called me their first fan, AND that I could be their first groupie. Now, you gotta realize I am old enough to be their mother and I don't think they mean it in a sexual way at all. It's more of a spiritual thing. But you know what? There is a sudden certain charisma about my favorite one named Josh that the girls suddenly seem to be paying close attention to since he picked up the guitar. And these girls never seen or heard him play neither. So it makes me wonder. Just where is that sudden charisma he's got really coming from? He's never even stepped up on a stage or played with a real band yet. But he's got that special something the others don't.

I've enjoyed talking to you about music Laurie. I'm sure there is so much you could teach me. What about the Moody Blues? Do you like them too?

angelamccann
12-11-2001, 01:47 PM
Next time I go to Nashville remind me to take my computer and find somewhere to plug it in - I always miss interesting stuff!

I've heard the term groupie used in a jokey sense for girls who like to hang out around their idols, even if only, for example, standing outside Garth's gates for weeks on end hoping to see him :)

Angela x

laurieny
12-11-2001, 02:38 PM
Hey Dale, your young Josh sounds like a certain Mr. Gaines... ;) maybe if this movie EVER gets made, he could play the young Chris!!! (And I do like the Moody Blues very much!)

Welcome back, Angela, what have you been up to? :)

Sickly Garth Hugs to all (I have strep throat :()

Laurie

Garth_FANtasizer
12-11-2001, 03:00 PM
Aww.. poor Laurie! (hugging you back and then spraying lysol all over!):)

Angela - Why don't you just get it over with and move to the USA! LOL
You must be rich in frequent flyer miles!

~Ann~

laurieny
12-11-2001, 03:14 PM
Gee, thanks, Ann! ROTFL You kill me, as always. :)

Yeah, Angela... I lived over there for 8 years before I finally gave in and admitted that--with the exception of Everton FC and malt loaves--everything I loved was really over here. :) C'MON OVER!!!!!!!

fuzzwuzz
12-12-2001, 11:48 PM
Eegads Angela! You mean Garth has groupies too? Like Chris Gaines? Well, I get the last dance then! ;)

Sorry about the strep throat Laurie! I got that one Christmas Eve and couldn't get to the doctor for two days for antibiotics. It weakened me so suddenly too at such a happy time.
It's interesting that you compared Josh to Chris. Actually, I'd say he's alot like Garth and Chris. He's into Tom Petty and together we are Runnin' Down a Dream(going wherever it leads). He is somewhat oblivious to the sudden female attention because his is strickly on the music. But he did just turn 21 yesterday and he's got hormones on the run like most young guys. But he is a good ol' boy like Garth, so he wouldn't! He told me, he is a gentleman! I don't know where Josh is heading with his music, except that I told him to go change the stars, like that hero in A Knight's Tale. And you know what? I think he just might!

But you know, I think keith urban would be a perfect Chris Gaines if Garth bows out of the part. It would seem Garth has to be talked into it at this point, but it might seem stranger to us hearing Garth's soundtrack not matching 'our' Chris on screen. Who really knows what's up with that? Garth leaves alot to the imagination with things coming. Just be ready for anything I guess!

Tell me what you know of the Moody Blues, your being from England? I credit them, especially lead singer/songwriter/guitarist Justin Hayward, with leading me straight to Chris Gaines. The Moodies have been there for me since my teen years like no other band before or after them. And they are back in the studio once again.

laurieny
12-13-2001, 04:45 PM
I am not from England... I just lived there for a long time (age 21-29). Then I came home. But I did get to see the Moody Blues in concert over there. They were amazing. I grew up with their music (Days of Future Passed being my favorite of course).

I can't see Garth playing Chris at this stage, especially after all the abuse he took. I think he's afraid to even express enthusiasm about the project anymore. Sometimes I think he'd rather just sweep it under the rug and pretend it never happened. Which is a horrible shame because it was the best music he ever made and he should be proud of it--not ashamed. People really suck sometimes. And you're right, I can't imagine seeing anyone but Garth as Chris. I even have a hard time watching the fictional "young Chris" in the Behind the Music thing mouthing Garth's words! LOL

Garth_FANtasizer
12-13-2001, 05:30 PM
I can't see Garth playing Chris at this stage, especially after all the abuse he took. I think he's afraid to even express enthusiasm about the project anymore. Sometimes I think he'd rather just sweep it under the rug and pretend it never happened. Which is a horrible shame because it was the best music he ever made and he should be proud of it--not ashamed. People really suck sometimes. And you're right, I can't imagine seeing anyone but Garth as Chris. I even have a hard time watching the fictional "young Chris" in the Behind the Music thing mouthing Garth's words! LOL

Garth is not ashamed of Chris Gaines! He is very proud of the music and the project. He put an awful lot of time and love into it and he stands behind 100%. If he seems less than enthusiastic when asked about it, its probably the fact that the media takes a negative view on it and Garth is too much of a gentleman to get angry or upset with them. He'll let them have there day because he knows Chris will have his someday soon!

If Garth doesn't play the roll of Chris Gaines, it will be because he feels he doesn't look the part. Garth has always said he wanted someone thin and good looking to play Chris. I completely disagree with him on the thin part. :rolleyes: Dang his 'thin' fixation.. where is it written that Chris Gaines has to be thin? Garth talks like he is some 500lb gorilla for heavens sake!
If he would just stop and look at it from 'our' point of view, and that is WE WANT GARTH just the way he is to play him and NOONE ELSE!
Doesn't he know yet that we think he is GORGEOUS! When they airbrush his face, they take away half of his good looks! Gosh darn it, Garth! Don't make me come over there! (ok, make me! teehee!)

~Ann~

laurieny
12-13-2001, 07:17 PM
Ann, you misunderstood me. I meant that everyone has given him such a hard time over this it sometimes seems as if he wishes he'd never done it. I saw one interview where he broke down in tears and apologized for all the embarrassment he caused his family by doing this. That's just NOT RIGHT. No one should ever have to feel ashamed for creating such incredible music, and taking such a huge step artistically. Chris Gaines was an amazing work of art and should have been applauded, not ridiculed.

As for the role of Chris... I think I've heard him say a few times that he didn't want the role. He does feel that someone "skinny" should play Chris, which I agree with you is silly. I personally think he just doesn't want to face any more ridicule, so he'd rather distance himself from being the "public" face of Chris and just be the voice. Which of course is a big loss for us, but then we didn't take the abuse... he did. OK, so we took quite a bit of it, but still... LOL

You are right that he has no confidence about his looks (but how many of us do?). I agree with you 100% that he looks just fine the way he is. That is 220 pounds of bee-YOO-tiful man right there. ;)

Laurie

Pilgrim
12-13-2001, 07:43 PM
I agree with Laurie, but not about the bee-YOO-tiful part though.

I also think Garth is too sacred, but then again without an entusiastic movie company the movie will never be made anyway.

Brian

laurieny
12-13-2001, 08:23 PM
OK, Brian, we'll let you slide on that part... LOL

I personally don't think it will be made either. I think that bird has flown. (maybe she'll fly on home...)

fuzzwuzz
12-13-2001, 11:30 PM
Lol Brian! Did you see what you called Garth?! And it's true! (Not the way YOU meant it though!)

Laurie, my first Moody Blues album was On the Threshold of a Dream given to me by my hippie Uncle who pranced around in the mud naked at Woodstock like his peers. And he rode around the USA on his motorcycle doing the crosscountry/commune thing. He even followed the Who extensively on their Tommy tour. And do I forever thank him for introducing me to the Moody Blues! There were a few summers he spent with my family so he could work with my Dad and make some money for these adventures he went on. I didn't mind letting him have my room while he was there because he had the coolest record collection that made my mouth water! And he had a reel to reel tape machine. In-a-gadda-da-vida never sounded so good! Josh is now in possession of my CD of Threshold, and I reminded Josh to realize when he hears it for the first time, that it's exactly where we are standing right now, on the threshold of a dream with his music. I hope the whole cd opens him up to more of his full potential. It sure broadened my horizons all these years later! But none so like Chris Gaines!

Laurie and Ann, maybe it would help to remember a few other things Garth has emphasized about The Lamb. One. Chris's presence is supposed to be felt and seen mostly through his music and a few concert shots and dealings with his record people. And two. Chris is not the star. The FAN is! She is the one to keep our eye on with this project. She's got Chris' heart already as he has let us know. In fact, it was HER song, Unsigned Letter, written for HER specifically, that Garth chose on the NBC Garth Brooks in the Life of Chris Gaines special, to introduce us to the 'character', Chris Gaines. Hence, he was introducing her to us as well, though she yet remains as like a mystery. I'd say he's got alot more than just himself wrapped up in this movie and what he calls the Chris Gaines Project. There could be alot involved, and if it's a project, then it's a work in progress. He may tear up over the embarrassment the negative stuff has brought his family, but he turns around and says in almost the same breath, yeah, I'd do it again. I'm having fun with this! And his tears changed to a glint of joy mixed with mischief. And he says, with Chris' music doing what it's supposed to do, you gotta believe! When he said that I already did. He just confirmed I did a good thing saying "yes" to this ride with Garth through Chris. There is no way I believe that Garth wishes he could sweep the whole thing under the rug. If we remember, Garth is the one who said The Thunder Rolls video was about making sure we deal with the hard issues in life rather than trying to hide them under a rug, but rather, bring them out into the light so we can see what we've got. This is a guy willing to risk embarrassing himself like he said to Chris' fan in the liner notes of Unsigned Letter. If you ask me, he's already taking a fair share of facing the embarrassment willingly for that fan, and whoever she is to Chris, she must mean an awful lot to Garth too, for him to go through what he's going through to make sure her story gets told. And he is encouraging her to take that risk with him as well. In fact, the whole real success of his music seems to depend on her a great deal. Garth says it's the music that created the artist. That they took care of the music first. But after he 'dies' for that same music and fans, who's gonna take care of him then? The record label? Yeah right!

Hey, maybe I think outloud too much, but Garth doesn't give us much more than Unsigned Letters to go on like that fan of Chris' gets, but one thing is clear, she understands, and she DOES 'get it'! Chris is counting on it I think.

Pilgrim
12-14-2001, 04:22 AM
*ROFL* Dale:D:D

Talk about a huge typo:eek:

Brian:)

fuzzwuzz
12-14-2001, 10:30 PM
Something neat happened with Josh today while I was at the register. The door greeter asked him why a guy like himself doesn't have a girlfriend. He said, smiling, "Ask Dale. She knows why." And I smiled back and told the greeter it's because he's in love with the music right now.(I had recently been a sole witness to his making the hard decision to ditch his girlfriend in favor of focusing on his music.) He also thanked and hugged me for the birthday card (I had quoted Tom Petty, "we're long overdue, for a dream come true" and wrote to remind him to get out there and change the stars, reminding him of a date he picked to do it, 11/7/02. Off the She's the One cd he says Walls is his favorite Petty song. And he sang to me some of the lines. "'cause you've got a heart so big/it could crush this town/ and I can't hold out forever/even walls fall down". Yes they do!
Anyway, I'm having fun with this while Josh is still an associate because soon I know he'll be out there taking our dreams safely with him. That kid's got the drive to get us there. And hopefully some more with us. I think I'm beginning to understand more of this 'us' factor Garth is forever referring to!

There's a few things I forgot to mention on the last reply.
Ann? Was it you on this thread, mentioning Garth being treated like a 500 lb. gorilla? If I recall that was one of Jimmy Bowen's pet phrases for Garth, only he also added 'hillbilly' to the end of that. I don't think he meant it in kindness. I shudder to think the things said about Garth that just aren't true. As he's said, some of those spouting their mouths don't even know him. It's no wonder he's craving years later a sense of family in the music business. But he knows he's safe with us fans who do 'know' him!
The other thing I forgot to mention, did anyone notice when Garth sings Unsigned Letter on the NBC special he's standing on Chris' 8-pointed star like the one he croons from in the Lost in You video? I've seen the same star hanging in my church over the altar, all in white with gold lines running out from the center to the points, and centered on a white cross. The lady who made it said the 8-pointed star symbolizes 'victory', but I also see alot of these stars this time of year as a Bethlehem star you put on your tree or display outside along with the nativity scene. I mean, what would Christmas be without that star guiding the wise men and shepherds to the miracle of Jesus' birth? And what would Chris Gaines be without his Fan? Just another thing to keep in mind over the busy holiday. With that, I may have already overstayed my welcome on this thread. Have a happy Christmas everybody!

Almost Famous quotes:
"Rock & roll is a lifestyle...and a way of thinking, and it's not about money and 'popularity!' Although, some money would be nice....And the chicks are great."--Jeff Bebe (Jason Lee)

"Opie must die!"--the Band-Aids (Fairuza Balk and Anna Paquin) to William

"The only real currency in this bankrupt world is what we share with each other when we're being uncool."--Lester Bangs (Philip Seymour Hoffman) to William

"Is it that hard to make us look cool?!"--Jeff

Gnubug
01-02-2002, 06:50 PM
Errr... Hmmm.. This looks like the following statements might shock a few Stryper fans out there, or at least the Christian followers here. Remember Styper guitarist Oz Fox getting arrested at a show for narcotics when he decided to start snorting cocaine off his guitar amps while the Drum solo was going on in veiw of the local police dept in Det, Michigan in 1985. How about when Michael Sweet was busted and found guilty for having sex with a 13 year old girl backstage in 1988. Even Robert Sweet(drummer) got arrested and fined for public urination and assult while getting hammered and urinating on a topless dancer who refused to give a lapdance to him in 1988 in Texas. So far the only one of the group who has not been publicly arrested and changed for crimes has been the bassist Timothy Gaines.
Oz Fox talked openly about the bands escapades and drug use after the band disbanded for the first time. Hell, he even joined a Death Metal band (Bloodly Pulp, check it out for a grin) which pretty much about death, pain, and dismemberment of ahhh 'private' areas.

Hate to blow people perceptions on the band for everyone, but they were having as much or more devilish 'fun' then alot of the 'BAD, BAD, EVIL, DEVIL' bands that were out at the same time.

I might try to dig up my old Metal Edge, Hit Parader, and Circus magazines and scan all the 'BAD'things they got caught doing. These were just the most known about since they made the newspapers and MTV.

fuzzwuzz
01-03-2002, 01:21 AM
Yeah, I definitely think you should have provided solid evidence before blasting anothers reputation like that when in all reality, the only reputation we each have rights to is our own. I don't know. Maybe you get enjoyment out of defaming Christians in public like it's some joke. But the damned truth is, we are ALL human and make mistakes, same as you. We are supposed to lift our brothers and sisters up when they are down, not broadcast it like some game as you have done. God uses people who are human, not perfect. He's the one who's perfect. Not only that, who's to say you aren't lying through your teeth? Because you have forgotten something, God sees the good things Stryper did in others lives. The things he wants to stay and remain. How dare you come in here on your first post trying to tear down His work like that? This is where I say, we have THE RIGHT to WITHOLD our opinion where it can hurt another.

You know, maybe if we all just went ahead and confessed openly a list of our own sins then maybe it would become quite obvious to all who we need to be keeping score on!

DriftinAway
01-10-2002, 12:29 AM
Metal Edge!!! I used to have stock in that magizine. In all honesty, I remember reading many things that many people had done in there. I won't say anything further. Just wanted to say I remember that mag. My other comments will remain to myself..

Gnubug
01-20-2002, 02:31 AM
The statement from fuzzwuzz saying "I definitely think you should have provided solid evidence before blasting another's reputation" etc has me and other people on this board wondering if you even read the post to which you responded to or if you are of the type of person who simply ignores facts and puts together in his/her head a new idea of what was posted. First it should be stated that this information in which I posted about does not need to be presented with evidence, since all my comments were about LEGAL CASES, available if you want to take the time and get hard copies of court records. Guitarist Oz Fox-arrested and FOUND GUILTY for narcotics.
Michael Sweet- arrested and FOUND GUILTY for having sex with a 13 year old minor. Robert Sweet-Arrested and FOUND GUILTY of assault for urinating on and slapping a topless dancer. I said in my post" These were just the most known about since they made the newspapers and MTV." I never posted on anything that 'might' have happened. Deal with these facts and move on since they did occur and they have been documented in a united states courtroom.

Now, we move on to the most important and most disturbing part of your post and this has everything to do with you as a person and as a Christian before Gods eyes. You are going to have to answer for this in your own time before god and I hope you really take time and change your ways before this occurs otherwise you have lost your way from God's path.

You say "Maybe you get enjoyment out of defaming Christians in public like it's some joke. But the damned truth is, we are ALL human and make mistakes, same as you. We are supposed to lift our brothers and sisters up when they are down, not broadcast it like some game as you have done."-----What are you talking about?

Read the start of this post, and I have to point out that at no time was I defaming Christians. You are taking your 'preconceived ideas' and passing your opinion off as a 'disinformation' fact in which you are not just wrong since there was never an attack on any person or religious group of people, but you showing how shallow and self centered you are. I posted about publicly known facts that occurred that even the band members talked about openly in interviews. Since I posted information in which the band members openly discuss and made public with interviews, I am not even guilty of even "defaming" the band.

You say "God sees the good things Stryper did in others lives. The things he wants to stay and remain. How dare you come in here on your first post trying to tear down His work like that? This is where I say, we have THE RIGHT to WITHHOLD our opinion where it can hurt another."----- Everyone is speechless at this comment. I am sitting here reading it over and over again trying to figure out how you claim be a Christian (or belong to any religion) and then make this hateful statement. Now, I will comment on this later since it will relate to your next part of your response I will comment on. Second, this is not my first post on this board. This is my first post under this new screen name. This is my new sceenname and you can not transfer old stats and numbers to new screenname. The people who know me on this board already are laughing at the fact you even made that comment, but I do not even find the humor in this fact.
This is a public message board and every member new or old has a right to post and comment on this board. That is the what this board and area was created for. You have no right to even say the above comment or even talk about people not having the right to post or speak their minds, even if you disagree with what was posted.

"You know, maybe if we all just went ahead and confessed openly a list of our own sins then maybe it would become quite obvious to all who we need to be keeping score on!" ---------How dare you even for a moment to think you have the right to pass judgment on any person in this world?? That is GODS job, and you have no right to think for a moment that you have the right. How dare you think you have the right to speak or infer who should be "who we need to be keeping score on!" You ARE NOT GOD and you have NO right to speak for GOD or to pass any judgment on any person. If you even for a moment think you have this right, you have not understood anything in which GOD is about or what religion means. You are a bad Christian. You will be going to Hell. You have lost your way from GOD. You are a spiritually weak, self centered, ignorant petty person who needs to find his/her way back into gods light. Find your way back into the light. You really need some help to get your life back in order.

Pilgrim
01-20-2002, 05:29 AM
Gnubug:)

You are brave enough to come in here and piss off other people (like me):)

Are you also brave enough to tell us your old username or real name for that matter (like me):)

Or will you be a lousy chicken and piss off people and hide behind a name that no one know??

You are weak!

Just curious:)

Brian

jstensig
01-20-2002, 04:05 PM
Indeed that is weak!

Jakob

fuzzwuzz
01-20-2002, 06:19 PM
Before I even begin to comment, "get behind me satan."

Brian and Jacob, thank God for Friends in Low places like you! I am truly humbled!

gnubug, your hateful words made me laugh! You are not my judge anymore than the devil is. I don't recall receiving a soepena! And who is this 'everyone' you are deliberating with on my 'behalf'? Some gang or something? I mean, usually the accused gets to see her jury members and know them each by their real name. In this court case I don't even have the 'pleasure' of knowing your real name as my judge!

Let's check the 'evidence' against me, shall we?

bad Christian
hateful
shallow
self-centered
ignorant
petty
spiritually weak
lost and going to hell
judgemental
God's mouthpiece
life out of order
think's she's God

Wow! You described me very well! Except you forgot a few.
liar
thief
sorcerer
bad wife and mother
adulterer
HUMAN

tell me judge, which ones will God forgive me of and cross off His list if I ask Him to through the blood of Jesus who cleanses from all sin? You would be wise to save your harsh words for your own trial from the fire below, which you obviously believe in. And you do have a right to say what you want against me or anybody else, but wouldn't it be better to exercise the right to be merciful,kind, and loving instead? You came on this thread with nothing less than meaness. And you expect me to take that because it's your right to be mean with words? It's my right to say what I want back atcha when you come on here with fighting words. Now quit it before I sock you one! For you are only as puny and small as me! You, and every single one of ya!

DriftinAway
01-22-2002, 12:35 AM
YIKES!

countyfair_85
01-22-2002, 01:53 AM
I don't know who 'Stryper' is...never heard of them until now, so I can't claim to know something about them because I haven't followed that band.
But I do know 'Dale' and the charges against her are in no way related to her nature.
She is a good Christian,
good fan of Garth Brooks/Chris Gaines
loving,
kind,
trustworthy,
loyal,
forgiving,
wise,
merciful,
sees the good in the bad, (like Jesus)
speaks the truth,
serves God as instructed,(like the scarecrow in "Fit For A King")
would give you the shirt off her back,
she inspires,
loves music immensely,
special enough to Garth that he pulled her aside from the crowd to
ask her if he 'knew her' and to talk aside from the others,
defends with love not hate,
wields a sword like Garth does and like he said, if you only knew how big that sword is...that's if you could only see it, not claiming that some don't see it.
she can make you smile, or make you cry,
loves everyone with her heart...
etc, etc, etc,

Dale I'm glad you don't hide behind a new screen name to say the things you believe in. At least your honest and real enough to be yourself.

Gnubug...
I don't know why you (and others you mentioned on this board) wouldn't tell WHO you actually are...but it's strange that I get a feeling of a 'click' like thing going on like 'wizard' Carol mentioned about one time.
And if you've been around before...and this is a new screen-name...then it's obvious you already know Dale...and maybe had an ulterior motive to use your first postings against Dales posts.
So, I agree with Brian and Jakob...
"You are weak!"

-Diane