PDA

View Full Version : Garth answered one of my questions!!!!!!!!

mikki
11-28-2001, 12:27 PM
If you go to www.eonline.com, and click on the Starboards link, it will take you to questions that Garth answered last week, submitted by fans. He answered one of mine!!! I was so excited!!! I submitted about 15 questions, knowing that there would be thousands from fans all over the world. Here's what it says:

From Michelle: After hearing"Wrapped Up in You"--which
sounds like it has a little pop flavor to it--do you have any hesitation that your new album may seem to be not country enough for some people?

Garth: No, not really. I approached this album trying to find music that spoke to me. With "Wrapped Up in You," we just tried to capture the feel of four guys sitting on a front porch playing music...but let ourselves imagine those four were Paul, Ringo, George and John.

YIPPEE!! This is the second time I've had Garth answer one of my questions! He answered another one in the NBC online chat about 2 years ago!!!!! :) :) :) :)

Garth_FANtasizer
11-28-2001, 12:44 PM
Very :cool: Mikki!

Thanks for the link!

~Ann~

RckyMtnGirl@hrt
11-28-2001, 01:04 PM
Thanks Mikki! Oh yeah, very :cool: :)

CC

angelamccann
11-28-2001, 06:51 PM
Very :cool: indeed - thanks!

'Babbling Brooks'? I know the guy's talkative, but :)

Angela x

Vanessa
11-28-2001, 08:00 PM
that's really :cool: :)

Vanessa :)

Paula
11-28-2001, 09:38 PM
This was a well kept secret...no one here knew about it, or at least I didn't hear anything about it. Although many of the questions were ones we already have heard the answers to, it was in a much better format that a certain other chat done recently.

Anyway, here is the transcript to make it easier for anyone who would like to read it:

In October 2000, country music fans shed a tear when their hero, Garth Brooks, the top-selling solo artist of the century, announced his planned retirement from country music to spend time with his family and concentrate on screenwriting.

Troyal Garth Brooks was born February 7, 1962, in Tulsa, Oklahoma. He was raised by his father, Troyal Raymond Brooks, and his mother, Colleen, a recording artist in the 1950s for Capitol Records. He and his three brothers and two sisters were raised in Yukon, Oklahoma, just outside Oklahoma City.

As a boy, Brooks loved sports. He earned a track-and-field scholarship to Oklahoma State, where he majored in advertising. Later in his career, Brooks got the opportunity to spring-train with the New York Mets and then the San Diego Padres.

It was in college that Brooks met his wife, Sandy Mahl, and became a popular performer of country music. His break came in 1988, when Capitol Records signed him to a recording contract. A year later, a second single, "If Tomorrow Never Comes," off his first album, Garth Brooks, went to number one. The successes continued rolling out throughout the 1990s.

In 1993, Garth performed the national anthem for the pregame show of the Super Bowl, a performance that was seen by a billion people around the world. As the years passed, Brooks racked up virtually every accolade the recording industry can bestow.

Garth's final release before retirement, Scarecrow, hit stores November 13. But he's not going quietly: He is co-exec producing a new TV movie for TNT called Call Me Claus, which airs December 2. He performs and composed all the music for the film.

If you haven't gotten your fill, you can see Brooks and the entire cast of Call Me Claus during Call Me Claus Week on Hollywood Squares, November 26 to 30.

Wondering just where Garth gets the inspiration for his moving songs, how he'll celebrate the big 4-0 or whether Chris Gaines is really gone? Well, read on...

From rkdollar: It was 10 years ago in Decatur, Illionois, that I first heard your music. I was going through a rough time, and I started listening to country. Not because I wanted to cry in my beer but because your music made me feel good about myself, my friends and where I was from. You inspired me to go after what I wanted and not to give up when I didn't always get it. Many people forget where they came from and what's important in their lives. So, I'm curious: Does your music still come from the heart?
Thanks, that's very sweet of you. It's interesting that you make a point about the music coming from my heart. When I started this album, I was consumed by trying to make it the be-all, end-all Garth Brooks record. I was really trying to overthink it. Finally, my producer, Allen Reynolds, convinced me just to record the music that spoke to me. And because I started following my heart instead of my head, I chose the title Scarecrow. The scarecrow in The Wizard of Oz represents thinking with your heart...that's all he had.

From luka62: How do you feel about turning 40 next year? And how will you celebrate?
Like James Taylor said, time is something man created, so turning 40 is only what you make it. With the exception of the loss of my mother, I can't remember feeling this good. I'm not sure exactly how I'll celebrate, but I'm sure it will be with my girls.

From Barrman: Who has been the biggest influence on your career?
First and foremost, I'd have to say my parents, because they were the biggest influences on my life as a whole. Mom was a recording artist herself, and she knew all about the challenges I'd face. But she also taught me how to go about achieving my dreams.

In terms of strictly musical influences, I have to say I wouldn't be in this business if it weren't for George Strait. When I heard him sing, I knew country music was what I wanted to do. My other influences are George Jones (of course), Merle Haggard, Buck Owens (from a singer-songwriter standpoint), James Taylor and Dan Fogelberg. And for sheer entertainment and their ability to thrill a crowd, KISS and Queen. For an all-around great guy, a role model in this business, a great singer, songwriter and entertainer, I'd have to say Chris Le Doux.

From Rebelkel: Please give us some background info on the songs on Scarecrow. Did you write any of them? Your favorite? Will there be a special collector's edition?
Thank you. I hope it meets your high expectations! I cowrote five songs on the album: "Why Ain't I Running," "The Storm," "Thicker Than Blood," "Rodeo or Mexico" and "When You Come Back to Me Again." I wrote them with people I've written with for a long time, names you probably recognize, like Kent Blazy, Tony Arata, Kim Williams, Bryan Kennedy and Jenny Yates.

I hadn't written for a long time when Jenny and I wrote When You Come Back to Me Again. It's in the movie Frequency. It means a lot to me because I wrote it for my mom. This is the first time it has been available to the public--before, people could only hear it when they saw the video or the movie. It's also my favorite song on the album, and probably my favorite recording we've done, because of the beautiful job done by the players, the producer, the engineer and, of course, Trisha Yearwood's background vocals.

Thicker Than Blood is another song I wrote with Jenny that has been years in the making. After the events of September 11, the last verse is especially fitting, but we wrote it eight years ago.

Allen Reynolds and I listened to around 19,000 songs for this album, and like I said, we made the selections based on what our hearts were telling us. Hopefully it will stand up next to our previous studio releases.

As for a collector's edition: Yes, there was a limited first edition with a different cover and inside artwork. Anyone who preordered the album was guaranteed a first edition.

From Jess0880: I have been a huge fan of yours ever since I can remember. What song on any of your albums is your favorite and why?
"The Dance" is, by far, my favorite song of anything I've recorded. I was really lucky to find it early in my career and to find something that fit me so well even though I didn't write it. But as I said, "When You Come Back to Me Again," the last cut on Scarecrow, is my favorite recording of anything we've done. The musicians, my producer and the engineer, Mark Miller, just did a fabulous job of conveying the mood through the music.

From apauley98: What is your favorite song of all time by someone other than yourself? Mine is one of yours, "The Dance." The most romantic night of my life involved that song. My boyfriend then (now my husband) and I danced to it at a family cookout under the stars with only moonlight and candlelight. That was the night he told me he loved me for the first time.
Thanks so much. My favorite country song is "Country Bumpkin" by Cal Smith, the best-written country song is "He Stopped Loving Her Today" and my favorite song outside country is "Don't Let Me Be Lonely Tonight" by James Taylor.

From audra12s: What albums have you purchased in the past year?
Lots of great music. I've bought current and past releases from Mark Knopfler, Keb' Mo', George Jones, George Strait, Trisha Yearwood, Delbert McClinton and the O Brother, Where Art Thou? soundtrack.

From Toon35504: Did Chris retire, too? I love that Chris Gaines Project CD. Will you do any more Chris?
Thanks! I'm really glad you enjoyed The Life of Chris Gaines. It was the most challenging thing I've done musically, but it was a blast. Paramount has been great to work with. They're moving ahead with the movie--it now has a second scriptwriter. If it all comes together and they want me to do the soundtrack album, I'm in.

From Timtaylor: Any chance you'll be touring anytime soon? We'd love to have you come to Little Rock.
Thanks, that's very sweet. Unfortunately, with my retirement comes an end to touring. I'm not the kind of person who can just tour every now and then--when I tour, I eat it, sleep it, breathe it.

Now, it's time for me to step up and be there for my girls, the kind of father my dad was to me. So, this is their time, and I won't be touring in the foreseeable future--at least not until my youngest is in college--and she's five!

What I did do, though, is tape is three concert specials on CBS during November. CBS gave me a gift with this series, which allowed me to take the music to huge numbers of people, lots more than I could reach on a tour, and I didn't have to be away from home for long stretches. So, it worked out great. The concerts were a blast!

From Bookwrm39: Do you plan to release the American classic "Don't Cross the River" as a single? I can't wait to hear your version!
We had a great time recording it. I was familiar with a version by Doyle Lawson and Quicksilver, which I'd heard and had been playing since college. Jimmy Mattingly, who played fiddle for us on the last tour, did an excellent job holding his own with the guys from New Grass Revival. And what was really interesting is that Jerry Douglas, who plays dobro, had played on the Doyle Lawson/Quicksilver record during his very first recording session in Nashville. As for it being a single, we'll see. The response so far has been really positive.

From Globstr910: Do you feel it's more difficult for artists to get a record deal these days, as opposed to when the greats like yourself, Alan Jackson and George Strait were first coming on the scene?
I think right now, with the slowdown in the economy, all businesses--including record companies--are looking more closely at their bottom line. Music sales have also slowed. Record labels are signing fewer artists, and it seems to me artists don't find a home for long at any one label.

If I were advising anyone on getting a record deal, I would just say complete your high school and college education, find the music that's in your heart, stay with it, develop it and don't let anyone sway you from it to get a deal. Be true to your art form and yourself.

From Allisonv7: Do you ever visit the online Yahoo! club GarthCentral? Or any of your fansites?
I hate to admit it, but I'm really not that computer savvy. I don't surf the Web or go to chat rooms, and I rarely use email. I specifically stay away from chat rooms, so no one can ever claim that something written in one came from me.

I do know that there are some excellent sites people have been generous enough to set up to represent Garth on the Internet. I've only done a few chats, and they're live with someone else keying in my responses. With this album, we entered a unique relationship with AOL, and they gave me my own keyword where people can go to get more information on me and the album. We did a live Webcast with them the week of the release, and they also did an online listening party.

From Michelle: After hearing "Wrapped Up in You"--which sounds like it has a little pop flavor to it--do you have any hesitation that your new album may seem to be not country enough for some people?
No, not really. I approached this album trying to find music that spoke to me. With "Wrapped Up in You," we just tried to capture the feel of four guys sitting on a front porch playing music...but let ourselves imagine those four were Paul, Ringo, George and John.

From Newfie9: Have you written a song about the terrible event on September 11? How did you react, and is writing music a way for you to handle stress?
No, I haven't, but I think Alan Jackson did a good job expressing the variety of emotions we all felt as a country in his song. For us, September 11 made us take a step back and look at what we do.

It made me feel very unimportant. Out of respect and honor for the victims and their families, we pushed back our press conference and our single release and changed the single from "Beer Run" to "Wrapped Up in You," which we felt was more appropriate.

Now, I'm beginning to see that my role as an entertainer is to somehow use music as part of the healing process. That was one of the great things about performing live for CBS on the USS Enterprise this November--I felt I was contributing in some small way to that healing process, while recognizing our heroes in the armed forces.

From Garthfan34: What is your favorite movie, and why?
My favorite movie is To Kill a Mockingbird. I know this is crazy, but it's because when I was seven years old, it spoke to me. The reason I want to go into making movies is The Shawshank Redemption. And I can't wait to see The Majestic.

From Mermaid 733: Just wondering what your Stillwater band members have been up to lately?
Actually, you've probably seen some familiar faces in the "Wrapped Up in You" video and Dr. Pepper commercial. Ty England was able to join us for that shoot, and so was Jimmy Mattingly. Ty and Jimmy, as well as Mark Greenwood, Mike Palmer, Dave Gant and Steve McClure, have all been able to play for the CBS specials, so the only original member we're missing is James Garver. He's a foreman for a construction crew and couldn't take the time off. Trisha Yearwood's guitar player, Johnny Garcia, has done a great job filling in for him.Congratulations Michelle on getting your question answered. I think I recognize another name or two from the Garth boards.

I also had a question answered in that same chat two years ago.

Paula

serling307
11-29-2001, 01:53 AM
Too cool!

allisonv7
11-29-2001, 03:07 PM
Oh my gosh. That's me that's me!!

allison.