PDA

View Full Version : Province's Scarecrow Review

Countrywolf
11-24-2001, 08:18 PM
Hello everyone

Here is a little something I found while going through the papers that were brought home this week.
----------------------------------------------
This is from the Vancouver Province:

This Week's Big CD: Garth Brooks, Scarecrow

Overview
In his first project since the disastrous 1999 Chris Gaines outing, Brooks has swapped his soul patch for the big hat and turned in his best ablum since the days of No Fences and Ropin' the Wind. If this really is his last release, as he promises, he's going out in fine style.

Hit factor
The impossibly hooky "Wrapped Up in You" is just starting its climb to the top of the charts, "Squeeze Me In," a rocking duet with Trisha Yearwood, is also a sure winner and ditto "Mr. Midnight." "The Storm," his de rigeur Big Drama song, is, on the other hand, dumb.

Best track
Loved "Big Money," a funny little thing with a great feel Brooks found on Mark Chesnutt's last record (his same source for "Friends in Low Places," by the way) but the one that stopped me cold is "Pushing Up Daisies," a Celtic march with killer lyric.

Liner lessons
It's a fairly standard looking package with lyrics printed over various photos of Garth in rodeo wear. In the last one, however, he's behind a dried corn stalk with his nose and lips painted black. He's no doubt aiming for a scarecrow effect but winds up looking just a little weird.

Recommended for
Those who'd given up on the puffed-up, endlessly self-referential GB ever finding his regular-guy voice again. He has.

John P. McLaughlin
--------------------------------------------

Well I think he's wrong about "The Storm" and about Garth being 'puffed-up'. What do you think?

Cheers
Sandra :)

DixieChick4GB
11-25-2001, 12:47 AM
I'm with you, Sandra. I agree with the good stuff he wrote and highly disagree with the negative stuff. The Storm is great! :)
Elaine

Hawk7lte
11-25-2001, 04:43 PM
"In the last one, however, he's behind a dried corn stalk with his nose and lips painted black. He's no doubt aiming for a scarecrow effect but winds up looking just a little weird."

So, the writer of this article couldn't just say; I don't like the artistic expression in this picture?

Now - of course Garth might not have meant this;

however, the truth is; corn is sacred to some indian tribes. And anyone who is trying to scare the thieves away from sacred ground is someone worth admiration -

and ya' know that is something that I think Garth is capable of doing and does - often, in many ways for many!

Hawk

Scarecrow
11-25-2001, 04:52 PM
Well I happen to like that disasterous Chris Gaines Album and The Storm is my favorite song on Scarecrow.

diem nash
11-25-2001, 05:01 PM
I love "The storm", too. What a touching, strong song!
I agree with you and said it before: I love this album!!! Itīs such a special one even for me!
I donīt care about those articles. Garth and his fans know much better, what the truth about it all is.
He is better than ever and made this album with his heart.

And he is a damn good looking "scarecrow"! ;)

I love you, pal!

Madeleine