PDA

View Full Version : Is this too obvious, or am I wrong

RadioGaGa
11-22-2001, 01:35 AM
I've seen the comments regarding the "That Summer" felling of "Why I Ain't Runnin'", but I haven't seen any mention of "The Storm" other than a lot of peeople have said they like it.

Am I the only one who thinks it is the aftermath of "The Thunder Rolls".

"...she sits among the pieces of broken glass and photographs..."

Listen to it again and let me know if I'm pointing out something terribly obvious, or not.

Cheers
RGG

Hawk7lte
11-22-2001, 01:45 PM
It can be after the end of any relationship - and about the grieving process that follows.

IMHO,
Hawk

cybersadie
11-22-2001, 02:16 PM
I totally agree. The first time I heard "The Storm" I thought of the "Thunder Rolls." It definitely seems like what would happen next.

But the next few (hundred) times I've listened to it, I've been listening more and more to the lyrics and thinking how personal that song is. It sounds like it's about his own divorce and his need to eventually survive the storm of the past few years of his life.

DixieChick4GB
11-22-2001, 05:33 PM
I love this song. Every time he says, "she's alive, but will she survive the storm?", I yell, "yes, she will survive, with God's help! " I survived my storm (abusive marriage, divorce) and it was extremely painful but I survived and am stronger for it. I love the lyrics and the music. I just think it's a great song.
Elaine

Garthfan92
11-23-2001, 03:59 PM
Actually, Garth was asked about it being a follow up to Thunder Rolls, and he said no (can't remember what interview). He said it was more like what came before She's Gonna Make It. I think that fits really well too.

I see it going beyond a broken relationship though. I think it can be about anything in the past you can't put behind you.

Lisa

Hawk7lte
11-24-2001, 01:33 AM
It reminds me of loss of some members of my family who were "stolen" from me - and I don't know where/how they are.

It reminds me of New York on Sept 11.

It reminds me of how I've put some pain behind me yet no matter what I do it waits for me around every corner I turn.

Surely it reminds others of some of the worse pain in their lives - and how they struggle through it moment by moment.

I don't know if it helps the healing - probably does bit by bit with each listening - while it gives a way of safely thinking about it.

Hawk

OkieandloyalGBfan
11-24-2001, 09:25 PM
I know I'm late getting in on this post, but I just had to chime in, late better than never. That is my favorite song off this album since my first listen, so I've definitely thought about it.

I don't think you're wrong....but my interpretation is a little different. I hear it more as the other side of "In Another's Eyes".

I've done a lot of thinking about Sevens and Scarecrow. It's pretty obvious, even without extra knowlege, including reading the booklets to know who wrote what or how his family life was arranged, that life had beaten him up pretty good between the two. Sevens is still so "take on the whole world," full of epic tales and philosophical speculation.....it feels like someone who has everything (and everything to lose) and the wind in his sails. Scarecrow, though, took me several listenings to "get". (BTW -- apologies for my post on another thread in which I expressed a less evolved opinion. I should not have spoken so soon.) As I was saying, Scarecrow had to take me into a new mindset before I could appreciate it. He sounds now like some one who has lost some of his treasures, and is recovering but still not in his second wind.

Instead of the "what will be the potential consequences of my behaviour" of "In Another's Eyes," in "The Storm" I hear the reality of the consequences. I hear that sort of "pie-in-the-sky versus no-escaping-reality, wet-behind-the-ears versus been-around-the-block" in several songs on this album.

I mistook sincerity and simplicity for shallowness at first. The more I listen, the deeper I realize I have room to go.

Deanna