PDA

View Full Version : should Garth just keep riding into the sunset?

fuzzwuzz
11-19-2001, 09:57 PM
I read this review and I'm about ready to say "I'm out of here with you Garth. Who needs this?"
Garth Brooks Says Goodbye with `Scarecrow'

New York Times Syndicate

I hope Garth Brooks keeps his promise and makes the new ``Scarecrow'' his final CD.

For one thing, it'd be nice to see a superstar ride into the sunset and ``stay gone.''

For another, it's a good time to go: ``Scarecrow'' is weak, a 12-song collection that often just reminds us of the singer's best moments.

Over the past decade, Brooks' command of mainstream country has hinged on the big songs - ``The Dance,'' ``We Shall Be Free,'' ``The Thunder Rolls'' - as much as, if not more than, the honky-tonk tunes like ``Friends in Low Places.''

And boy, is ``Scarecrow'' stuffed with songs that sound like the above: ``The Storm,'' ``Thicker Than Blood,'' the concluding ``When You Come Back To Me'' - all misty-eyed, earnest and dull as dishwater. Brooks' problem is that he knows his fans expect these big tunes, and so the songs just get bigger and more overwrought.

And not much better are the opening ``Why Ain't I Running,'' ``Don't Cross the River'' and ``Mr. Midnight.'' And then there's ``Rodeo or Mexico,'' the story of a good ol' boy who goes south of the border, sleeps with a married woman and ends up almost getting gutted by a jealous husband for his trouble. The narrator's ugly viewpoint - Mexico is only good for loose women and making money - is at odds with Brooks' love-everyone/we're-all-humans stance, and the song should have been left off the CD.

Brooks is at his best when he just has fun: Sure, George Jones sings circles around him on ``Beer Run,'' but it's a good-natured party anthem with, naturally, a nod to designated drivers.

Similarly, the duet with Trisha Yearwood, ``Squeeze Me In,'' is a cutie about overworked modern singles trying to find time for romance. And it's hard to find much fault with the slyly fun ``Big Money'' or the ballad (yeah, I do like ``one'' of 'em) ``Pushing Up Daisies.''

But four songs does not a strong CD make, and ``Scarecrow'' is largely an undistinguished effort. When it tugs at the heartstrings and comments on The Big Issues (humanity, family, love), it does so in only the most obvious, familiar ways.

If Garth realizes he's out of tricks, and is serious about retirement, good for him. And if he's just doing it to be the best father he can be, good for him again. Either way, you've got to give him respect for not just going on and on and on forever.

But that doesn't obscure just how mediocre an effort this is.

"And when she gets mad, you best leave her alone." Garth and Fan

Nightfire_uk
11-20-2001, 07:16 AM
Reviews like that just don't bother me, because I know that they just don't know what they're talking about !!!!

:D

ImaGBbeliever
11-20-2001, 09:13 AM
Everyone is entitled to their opinion. There are mega albums out there that I just did not like. That's okay, right? The difference is that I don't have a pen in my hand.

I just hope that people who might like the album don't read this and decide not to buy it.

Kristi

Garth_FANtasizer
11-20-2001, 09:25 AM
I hope when people read this review, they're sitting on a toilet. :rolleyes:

And I hope Dorothy drops a house on you too, Mister!

~Ann~

Garthmedic
11-20-2001, 10:45 AM
The writer is a knucklehead, in my opinion.

--spud--:)

Hawk7lte
11-20-2001, 11:07 AM
Some people just don't "get it" - nor do some seem to want to.

Guess it's far safer in the long run to be underestimated by people so blind.

Hawk

Jilco
11-20-2001, 06:05 PM
""Scarecrow'' is largely an undistinguished effort""

Well as i have read from you guys before.......'the proof is in the pudding'! Well lets just see how 'Scarecorws' sales go in a month.
The facts don't lie!!

I'm with Spud..this writer is a knucklehead....(in my opinion too!)

Simon :)

fuzzwuzz
11-21-2001, 12:27 AM
I should like to know what it is that gives these people the right to make money off of dissin' Garth in public like this? Yeah. He's got a right to his opinion, but it's wrong to make money off of Garth's good fortune and then trash him laughing all the way to the bank. And along the same lines, it's wrong to pay money to push crap down our throats. Who needs this hick town? I'm with Ann. And I'm Henny Penny...The sky is falling! The sky is falling! Run! Run! Hehehe....

allisonv7
11-21-2001, 12:57 AM
Personally, I'd like to read this guys reviews on the rest of Garth's albums...my guess is I'll see a trend, many critics love to hate Garth.

allison.

fuzzwuzz
11-21-2001, 01:59 AM
Yeah. And snicker and make money doing it. They can keep their worthless money. My investment in Garth's music goes beyond dollars and cents. When I cash it in they'll be eating crow and wishing they'd invested in some of that Scarecrow that made off with the real goods. You know, like those 'old' westerns?