PDA

View Full Version : Thicker Than Blood, even more personal?

Garthfan92
11-19-2001, 08:49 PM
I suddenly realized that maybe the part about the car accident came from the accident Garth was in years ago, or was inspired by that in some way. Anyone else thought the same thing? Might be another interesting personal contribution from Garth. There may be more personal stuff in this album than anyone thought.

Lisa

Garth_FANtasizer
11-20-2001, 10:31 AM
Yes, Lisa - I did think that the minute I heard it.

I wish Garth would write an autobiography!

~Ann~

Hawk7lte
11-20-2001, 11:50 AM
As I posted on November 16;

"And some are so close to "home". Some make me think about Garth's car accident - and other really, really difficult moments - and some sadness that some moments have been and are so hard for all and especially for some."

Some things are extremely difficult to talk about - saying things through music helps ease into them. As people are ready to say and hear them. Some events are very difficult to believe and accept even if you've lived them; (Sept 11) was like that too.

Garth does an excellent job of sharing some private moments - some deeply private moments - as he and his family are ready too. Sometimes truth and reality are too "shocking" in ways not to require subtle easing into the depths.

It's both a kindness and a caring - that guides what/when/how he and the family does share.

Hawk

Garthfan92
11-20-2001, 08:55 PM
Ann, I'd LOVE to see an autobiography too! It would be very interesting to see how much Garth would share with us, because we know how open he is about things!

I was glad to realize that Garth included this in a song. It's something that's always been a hard topic for him, and so rarely brought up. It really says something that he now felt comfortable including it in a song that made it onto an album for the world to hear.

Lisa

ProducerJ
11-22-2001, 02:40 AM
A journalist asked Garth about the car accident reference at the Listening Party, if there was a car accident in Garth's past he didn't know about. Garth said the song started out extremely personal and the first verse was about his family and from there it stepped out to other people's experiences and then to all of the human race. He said the car accident was not a personal experience.

The 2nd verse of this song has never quite seemed to fit to me, so it's been interesting to hear his abbreviated tv performances without it lately.

Although WUIY without the Ba ba baa baaa's is just not the same.
J.

diem nash
11-22-2001, 07:38 AM
I didnīt know, that Garth had a car accident! I am so happy, that he is doing fine yet!

And yes! Iīd love it, if he would write an autobiography! But I fear, that Garth thinks, that he is not important and interesting enough! How wrong!!!

Hawk7lte
11-22-2001, 01:42 PM
Garth did have a car accident - years, years ago, college days.

There have been others that he could have referenced to in that song. He has never wanted to talk about his that much.

Some have been close to home, personally and locationally. For example, I saw a bad one in Claremore about a year ago - Just down the road from Will Rogers' museum and up the road from the lake where I stay a lot when I'm in the area.

Doesn't matter - taps into memories that most of us share of several. Think that was the idea - more than any one specific accident. It's hard to think about somethings - easier to think about it through general references.

Hawk

cybersadie
11-22-2001, 02:21 PM
Actually, I didn't think of the car accident. I thought of the fire recently, where he stopped and helped those people. The idea struck me that there may have been others around who chose to drive on by. It's a reminder to himsel that the kind of person he wants to be would never drive n by even if it means risking his own well-being.

Just a thought.

Garthfan92
11-23-2001, 03:54 PM
Thanks for the info, Joyce. And Sadie, that's a good point. Could really be about any situation where people are too afraid to jump in and help.

As far as the autobiography goes, I don't think it's that Garth doesn't feel important enough to do it. I've heard him say before that he wouldn't only because over time, you remember things differently. How he would remember and tell things now may not be how they really happened, and he wouldn't want to do that.

Lisa