PDA

View Full Version : Scarecrow Selling Slow

gbkubfan
11-16-2001, 11:49 AM
Garth Off To Slow Start, Buyers Look To Shakira

Garth Brooks' "Scarecrow" (Capitol), released Tuesday (Nov. 13), is widely expected to top next week's Billboard 200, but music retailers surveyed by Billboard Bulletin say the set is off to a lukewarm start. Stealing some of Brooks' thunder, to the surprise of many retailers, is the English-language debut from Colombian star Shakira, "Laundry Service" (Epic).

"We expected [Shakira] to do well, but it's outselling Madonna, and that's a huge surprise to us," says Dave Alder, senior VP of product and marketing for Virgin Entertainment Group North America. Madonna's hits set "GHV2" (Maverick) was also released this week. Jim Kaminski, rock buyer for Tower Records' Greenwich Village outlet in New York, believes Shakira may be the holiday season's first breakout hit. The set is the sales leader at his store for the week so far.

Many retailers expect "Scarecrow" to take flight this weekend, noting that Brooks' audience skews older and is less likely to rush to a store on Tuesday. "We got 90 copies of 'Scarecrow,' but we haven't sold any yet," says Kobie Andry, product manager for a Wherehouse Music in San Francisco. "That's not unusual for Brooks, because it'll sell a ton over the weekend."

Others note that Brooks will perform better at ike Wal-Mart and Kmart than at music outlets. Still, Alder doesn't believe "Scarecrow" can top the 897,000 first-week total of his last non-Christmas solo set, "Sevens," in 1997. John Artale, buyer for National Record Mart, says the success of the new set will depend on a hit single. "Wrapped up in You" is at No. 61 on The Billboard Hot 100.

On a whole, retailers are starting to appear more optimistic about this year's holiday season, with Alder reporting that Virgin's sales this week are ahead of those of the same period last year. Other titles that appear to be gathering steam are Paul McCartney's "Driving Rain" (Capitol) -- "It'll be a good gift for someone over 40," say Tower's Kaminski -- and Radiohead's live set "I Might Be Wrong" (Capitol). "Radiohead got off to a great start," says Alder. "For a live record, it's doing spectacularly."

Finally, several retailers say No Doubt's upcoming Interscope album "Rock Steady" (due Dec. 11) is generating a buzz. "It's taken time to restimulate the market after Sept. 11, and there's still a long way to go, but I believe that's the record that will stimulate sales in December," says Alder.

-- Todd Martens, L.A., Troy Carpenter, N.Y.

RckyMtnGirl@hrt
11-16-2001, 02:27 PM
"noting that Brooks' audience skews older and is less likely to rush to a store on Tuesday."

Wait to buy an awesome Garth CD?! Is he kidding? This guy has obviousely never visited the PG boards lol

I too have faith though, that this weekend could push sales way up :D

I'm doing my part (yeah me, who never buys more than one lol). I'm spreading the garthlove, and giving "Scarecrow" as a Christmas gift to a number of people, including my dad :)

CC

PS: Almost forgot! Thanks for the article gbkubfan :D

diem nash
11-16-2001, 02:32 PM
I think one reason is, that the oversea-Garth-Fans donīt have their copies yet. So they finally couldnīt pay it! :-)
But I swear, we canīt wait any longer!!! So hurry!!! LOL!

wizard2C
11-16-2001, 03:35 PM
Hi!

All's I know....I just picked up my third copy today at the Walmart.....now I got one Garth I can play with, and two more all still wrapped up waiting in the wings. What more could a girl want? :D :p :cool:

Carol
Wizard2C

-------------------------

The Children hold hands in a circle that covers the World......"Dance!Sing!Fun!2002!"

Garth_FANtasizer
11-16-2001, 03:41 PM
I think this guy is using this "one" retail outlet to put a negative spin on "Scarecrow!"

Too bad Mr.! We ain't buying it, but we are buying "Scarecrow!" :)

~Ann~

Cheryl
11-16-2001, 05:07 PM
It was basically the same article that www.countrynation.com posted, except they added the following comment:

Don't know about record stores, but Scarecrow is by far the hottest album we've ever featured at Countrynation.

I agree that this article is basically worthless.....they are basing their assumptions on only the stores they checked with. We wont really know how it's doing until SoundScan releases the figures. :)

serling307
11-16-2001, 06:26 PM
I don't think Garth's record sales are exactly in jeopardy. Good grief, just from watching the reaction of those people in L.A. , you can tell that the sun is not setting on his career just yet . . .
and that CD is so great, I mean, sooner or later, it's going to sell millions just like Ropin' the Wind and Sevens and No Fences . . . and all the others . . .

jstensig
11-16-2001, 07:15 PM
Maybe it will - or maybe not.

I hope it will sell lots - cause it IS a very good album! Besides - if Garth really retires for good????, I would like him to go out in style.

Jakob

Garthfan92
11-16-2001, 10:21 PM
Are they taking into account all the preorders on-line? I have no fear it will be huge!! I hope to see it surpass any previous Garth albums if not set an all time record. That may not happen, but don't count any possibilities out yet.

Lisa

allisonv7
11-17-2001, 12:19 AM
Does anyone know when we'll find out first day and first week numbers?? I'm really excited to seee what they are, and how will the preorders be figured into that? Will they count as first week sales...or just go towards the total??

allison.

Scarecrow
11-17-2001, 04:50 AM
I bought 7 copies. I originally wanted to buy only 4 copies, One of each cover opened and one not opened, But when my preorder came to me not being the Limited First Edition, I had already went to Wal-Mart and bought the regular edition. Then I had to go back to buy two copies of Limited Edition, But I bought three, one for my friend. So there, I bought 7 copies in the first week. 7 is a very lucky number.

Chris Gaines
11-17-2001, 05:36 AM
Originally posted by allisonv7
Does anyone know when we'll find out first day and first week numbers?? I'm really excited to seee what they are, and how will the preorders be figured into that? Will they count as first week sales...or just go towards the total??

allison. next week :)

1st Week sales will be announced.. also it will go to the total sales.

Garth is expected to grace the top spot of the Billboard 200 next week :)

Jason

Chris Gaines
11-17-2001, 05:37 AM
Originally posted by Garthfan92
Are they taking into account all the preorders on-line?Yes.. Online orders DO count to the total sales :)

Jason

Garthfan92
11-17-2001, 01:27 PM
LOL Jason. That I know. I meant are they taking it into consideration in forecasting these "slow" sales, or just talking to stores right now. I don't think these people have looked at those #'s yet, because it sounds like LOTS of people were pre-ordering. Truth will be told when the official #'s come out.

Lisa

SweetGBFan
11-17-2001, 05:09 PM
Well I read somewhere that they expected first week soundscan to top like around 700,000 which is below what Sevens and Double Live did. I think that Sevens came in around 800,000 and of course we all know how Double Live did. Now come on 700,000 is a GREAT number. Name me any other country artist or pop artist for that matter that would debut at that number. But, because its below what his last two albums sold in first week soundscan everyone will say he isnt doing really well. Okay so Duh!! when Sevens and Double Live both debuted Garth was still touring. He has been out of the picture pretty much for what 2 years now except for an occasional song here and there? I would say 700,000 is still very great!!!

LVGB4EVER
11-17-2001, 05:31 PM
I think this CD is going to sky rocket once the word is out how GREAT it is!!!

Take Care
Sue ;)

Chris Gaines
11-17-2001, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by SweetGBFan
Now come on 700,000 is a GREAT number. Name me any other country artist or pop artist for that matter that would debut at that number.

Britney Spears.

'NSYNC

Backstreet Boys

(oh you said one.. LOL) ;)

Jason

berriffic
11-18-2001, 12:20 AM
I think we all want Scarecrow to be Garths most successful album ever for 1 of 2 reasons. 1) you are hoping a hugely successful album will show him he's not done in Country Music yet! or 2) you want his country music career to go out in a blaze of Glory! Either way it doesn't matter. If every PGer bought Scarecrow for Christmas gifts THIS WEEKEND and if we all email our friends and family to buy their copies. Who knows maybe we can knock N'sync, Brittney, and Shakira right out of Garths way!

Come on PGers lets get to work!

<3 ber

garthsgirl
11-18-2001, 12:33 PM
Well, I ended up buying 5 copies this week...been saving up for it each week, LOL. A LE and regular CD for myself, and 3 as Christmas presents. I'm more than willing to spend my money to spread the gift of Garth.

Lisa