PDA

View Full Version : Press Conf. before concert info!!!

Garth2Gaines
11-16-2001, 10:11 AM
Garth Brooks Discusses TV Specials, Baseball, Unreleased Material, & More
Nov 15, 2001, 2:25 pm PT

Garth Brooks
Garth Brooks talked about his remaining TV specials and other future plans at a press conference Wednesday (Nov. 14) afternoon before his live concert broadcast at the L. A. Forum (see review, this page).

For the next two Wednesday nights, Brooks appears on CBS from the U.S.S. Enterprise Aircraft carrier in Norfolk, Va., on Nov. 21, and then from South Padre Island in Texas on Nov. 28.

"Ever since Sept 11, I've tried to figure out what my role is, and my participation and input as an entertainer, representing country music and America, what my gig is," said Brooks. "All the New York things, I felt like if I was in them, I was forcing myself in, it felt like a push. "

"So when someone mentioned an aircraft carrier and actually playing for our servicemen and women, the day before Thanksgiving, it's a no-brainer," he continued. "It'll make me feel like I contributed in a little way to the healing process this country's going through."

The three shows, as well as a Christmas-time appearance in Nashville, does not mean his retirement is ending. "The three shows were a gift to us from CBS," said Brooks, who often refers to himself in third person. "We announced our retirement in November last year with one record left to make. Scarecrow is that record. To promote it, we do what we can. The retirement thing wasn't because it wasn't fun anymore. The retirement thing was [about] my babies. That still stays. That's what my life is now."

Brooks also addressed the fate of his Chris Gaines alter-ago movie project from 1999: "I was pleasantly shocked that Paramount is hiring a second writer now for The Lamb. The original idea is a wonderful idea for a movie and they feel like the first draft we got did not hit that, so the second draft begins. If that comes to fruition, I'm very proud to step in and do that."

Next Spring, Brooks said he plans to continue his baseball career for charity, heading into its fourth year with more than $14 million raised "to kill that career all I'm doing is taking money from children that can use it."

"We're gonna see if a team will take us, 'cause it costs a team a pretty good chunk, a donation to the foundation for me to go there," he added. "So that's one hurdle and the other hurdle is I'm going to be 40 in February and it's a big ass to haul around. So we'll see how it goes."

Brooks also revealed that he has 20 to 30 unreleased songs, including material recorded for a covers album project, all of which could see the light of day in the future.

-- Darryl Morden

Very Cool, hopefully he can "squeeze us in" in the future:-)

dwayne

PJ
11-16-2001, 10:46 AM
Thank you SO much for posting! I couldn't find any info about the press conference while in LA.

Garth2Gaines
11-16-2001, 01:15 PM
You welcome PJ.

I don't know, I have this feeling that if SCARECROW sells good/great, they might have some type of collection or Anthology within the not so distant future, maybe THE HITS 2.

Why else would he bring up all the extra songs he has stored and a great hits package would be a perfect end to his musical career.

Paula
11-16-2001, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by Garth2Gaines
Brooks also revealed that he has 20 to 30 unreleased songs, including material recorded for a covers album project, all of which could see the light of day in the future. I'm so glad that there is still a possibility for the covers album. I had asked him about a covers album in the Q&A that NBC had for the three Double Live shows, and he actually responded by saying that he and Allen Reynolds had talked about the possibility of doing a covers album at some point down the road. I was going to ask if the album was still a possibility at the AOL chat until I saw that it wasn't really a "fan" chat.

Paula

PJ
11-16-2001, 11:23 PM
I wasn't able to get online for the chat, but have read a couple of tidbits that sounded like it didn't go well. What happened?

Monica Lockhart
11-16-2001, 11:50 PM
Well... for starter.. the questions that were asked of Garth were one's that we have already heard and know the answer too... like "Why did you name the album Scarecrow?"

PJ,

Check out Teresa Morris' recent column...she sums it up perfectly!

Here is the link....

http://www.planetgarth.com/columnists/column.php?column_id=672

This pretty much says it all in a nut shell... It Sucked!

Moni

allisonv7
11-17-2001, 12:09 AM
I think we're definetly going to be getting more stuff....I really dont think this will be his last album, it may be the last regular album for quite some time...but the way he talked on Leno, he's not through with us yet!

allison.