PDA

View Full Version : What 'Why aint I running' is really about

Clarke1877
11-15-2001, 02:40 AM
Upon putting scarecrow in my truck stereo I was delighted to hear garth's voice doing something new, but while driving I couldn't really pay attention to the lyrics. By the time I got to school from walmart All I had heard was the first three songs on the album, two of which being beer run and Wrapped up in you. I took the scarecrow booklet to class with me so I could read some lyrics, since I could not listen to the album..........Yes, I am getting to the point!!! When I started reading the lyrics to WAIR i first thought it was another rodeo song about a cowboy torn between a woman and the rodeo, but then I quickly realized, he's singing about his daughters and how they are keeping him away from the road. I think this song is a message to his fans thanking us and trying to explain why he cant be with us as much any more because he has something he loves more at home and he will be lonely without them. After realizing this I am more confident that this time he will stick to his decision of retirement (at least for a while) in order to be with his girls. This saddens me but it also make me happy knowing that he is happy, and if he does come back, even if only part time, it will be because his girls are comfortable with it.And what better way can Garth convey this to his fans than through a song, I also think that this is why he placed it first on the album.

Thanks for the ride Garth

Snow
11-15-2001, 02:50 AM
That's a really good interpretation! :)

I also saw a little of Sandy in the song. Here he is free... but he's found that they are still close... maybe even closer than before. She's not holding him... she's set him free but perhaps he's a bit amazed that he's not feeling the need to get out there and be with other women?

Perhaps it's just wishful thinking on my part.

Maybe it's a little of all of it... the girls, Sandy, his family. He's found that the ties that bind are not really restrictions at all.

allisonv7
11-15-2001, 12:27 PM
I thought it was about Sandy when I first heard it also....and by putting it as the opening track on the album it was some sort of message to her. I think we look into things too much somtimes though, we're always looking for some big reason behind every move Garth makes and I think sometimes he just does stuff for the hell of it. It gives us something to talk about though :)

allison.

BigGfan4life
11-15-2001, 01:08 PM
I also think it's about Sandy. I can see how you'd interpret that it's about his girls, and maybe in a way, it is. But, I keep reading the lyrics over and over and they seem to me to be more about him and Sandy's relationship than anything else. I agree with Snow that perhaps he's found that now that they're "separated," or whatever they are (are they completely divorced?), they're getting along better than ever. I don't like to bring Garth's personal life up, since it isn't any of my business, but I can't help but hold out hope for the two of them. Every time I hear "Unanswered Prayers" or "She's Every Woman," I can't help but feel that they're soulmates. But, if they make better friends than husband and wife, I guess whatever makes them happy is what's best for them. I just want both of them to be able to be happy and to raise their daughters to know both of their parents are there for them :)

Garthfan92
11-15-2001, 07:31 PM
First off, as long as Garth is happy, I'm ok with whoever he ends up with. If it's Sandy, Trisha, someone else, I just want to know he's happy. That said, my preference would be to see things work out with him and Sandy. Maybe this song is about her, and maybe about the girls. Either way, I do see how it's about not running back to the road, but finally wanting to stay at home. That is a very good interpretation!

Lisa

tearin' it up
11-17-2001, 01:00 AM
the first thing i thought when i heard this song was that it was like a sequel to "burning bridges"

boppityboo
11-17-2001, 03:17 AM
GMTA! tearinitup. I thought the exact same thing. Immdiately I thought about Burning Bridges. :) Speaking about that, and how that some songs seem to be sequels to his earlier music, I think Rodeo or Mexico could be a sequel to Rodeo. lol. Like The Storm is like after The Thunder Rolls. That would make an interesting thread seeing what song could fit with what previous song. lol. Not that I'm saying that is the meaning of the songs....Very cool though. Garth's songs all are able to relate in one way or another to what ppl want to think the song is about. Does that make sense? lol... Ahhh. it's late. I should just head to bed, per chance to dream...of whom??? I wonder. :eek:

Ellie :)

Hawk7lte
11-17-2001, 01:44 PM
It's interesting about that song and relationships;

When one person is running from another; The only way for the other to act is to stop chasing. Then both will come to a dead halt. And they'll find the distance from each other that works without conflicts. Course then they can get stuck 'cause things seem better with the distance. Distance does have its advantages but that doesn't mean reunion will work or is in the works.

The longer a separation and the more satisfying - the more likely it will continue in some permanent way.

But all that is just general information about the psychology of relationships - nothing specific.

Hawk