PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Song off of Scarecrow

ohiogarthfan
11-13-2001, 03:27 PM
My favorite song has got to be "The Storm". I don't know what it is about that song, but I loved as soon as I heard it.

So what are your favorite songs off of the album?

BigGfan4life
11-13-2001, 03:35 PM
Excluding the songs that we heard before the actual album was released (Beer Run, WUIY and When You Come Back), I'd have to say that "Why I Ain't Runnin" is my favorite song, although "Thicker Than Blood" is definitely a very close second. Why I Ain't Runnin just has a very vintage-Garth feel to it, and reminds me a lot of "That Summer." But, Thicker Than Blood is one of those songs where if you could pick one song that the album is going to be remembered for, especially if you're looking for a song that really delivers a powerful message, then this is the one. Suffice to say, however, I really and truly do love each song a lot. I think this album is truly letting us see who Garth is on the inside more than we have on any other album, and it just delivers such a powerful range of emotions. I thought "Fresh Horses" would always be my fave Garth album, but I think this one is going to give it a run for its money!! ;)

PJ
11-13-2001, 03:35 PM
I don't have a favorite yet, but my Jeep's been rockin' to Squeeze Me In quite a bit today. ;)

no1cowgirl
11-13-2001, 03:55 PM
I'm with ya, ohio. I love "The Storm"...very moving...very passionate...very emotional.

Krista

Adam
11-13-2001, 04:14 PM
I like this CD, but honestly I think its the worst one he has put out. My favorite song is defenitely The Storm, its awesome. I like Big Money too. Lol there arent many singers that can put out the worst album of their career and it still be good. Also, I hope yall dont take me the wrong way, I mean one of his albums has to be the worst just as one has to be the best and its all just in opinion :)

BigGfan4life
11-13-2001, 08:43 PM
LOL...I just realized that I keep screwing up the name of the song! It's "Why Ain't I Runnin"!! :o

sarahpoosie77gb
11-13-2001, 09:05 PM
My favorite is "why aint I runnin" also. Its great. I love Garths voice on this song. I also like the storm and rodeo or mexico. That ones pretty catchy. :)

Garthfan92
11-13-2001, 09:25 PM
I love "Why Ain't I Runnin" and "Big Money" among others. The one that I've found really hit me today was "The Storm" I don't hear a failed relationship song when I listen to it. I hear a song about anyone who's had something in their past that they've had trouble getting beyond. You may even think you are past it until the storm hits. Then you have to try to face it and put it behind you. I can also tell you the answer to if she can make it through the storm is YES!! I think this is my new song of strength and insperation.

Lisa

GBJR77
11-13-2001, 09:29 PM
I don't know, it's only been 20 hours I've had the disc. so, here goes:

1. Mr. Midnight-I love the ending, I just love the whole song!

2. Why Ain't I Running - simply because of the "That Summer" whole feel the song has going for it

3. Don't Cross The River - this would have been at the bottom, until it popped up on a radio station today, and I relized that it makes you want to shake your butt :-)

4. Thicker than Blood - I love James Taylor, and this is SOOO JT, while at the same time being SOOOO GB. really cool.

5. The Storm - I like this song, but I don't like the first few lines. The hesitation in GB's voice reminds me of a christmas song (don't ask me why!)

6. Rodeo or Mexico - does anyone know the spanish word for wife? man this just had me laughing so hard when I heard that line. It totally took me on a twist. I thought the song was going in such a different direction.

7. Squeeze Me In - I really do love this song, but, since I've been listening to it for the last three weeks, it fell down the list, in favor of the newer stuff. (however, the 1, 2, 3, 4 screaming at the beginning is a riot)

8. Pushing Up Daisies - I have a tough time with this song. I like the lyrics. I like the music, just, I don't really like them together at this moment. it will probably grow on me. actually, the way my GB listening habits are, in time this will wind up being my favorite song. That's the way it usually goes with the tunes I have troubles with......

9. Big Money - really fun, but, again have been listening to it for three weeks or so, constantly.

10.Wrapped Up In You - at the bottom, only because I've heard it for the last month. I do love this tune though.

11. When You Come Back To Me Again - I've had this on cd for over a year now. That's the reason it's at the bottom too. But, did y'all notice the strings are more forward sounding in this mix? it's slightly different than the one from the CMT video.

12. Beer Run - I loved this tune until George Jones sang at the CMA's. I'm sorry, but it was horrible. And that killed this tune for me for awhile.

there's my 2 cents!

Kelly Ray

Chris Gaines is The Game
11-13-2001, 10:47 PM
My fav. has to be Rodeo Or Mexico

splitzer
11-13-2001, 10:48 PM
I love them all!!!

My current fave is "Rodeo or Mexico" for fun, and "The Storm" for message... although the others certainly hold their own. I can't really pick and choose, they all live under the "AWESOME!" heading. :)

I've been listening to the CD on repeat all day. I love having new Garth music!

Garth Always,
Dani

loreli
11-13-2001, 11:22 PM
Tough choice.

Right now it is "The Storm"

tomorrow it may be something else ;)

Lori

Cheryl
11-13-2001, 11:30 PM
I've played THE STORM over and over for about 2 hours today. I'd guess right now I'd say it's my favorite. But Big Money, Squeeze Me In, Pushing Up Daisies & Rodeo Or Mexico have all got to be VERY close seconds. And then there's WYCBTMA...which will forever be one of my all time favorites. :) I am sooooooooooooooo loving this album. :):):)

RckyMtnGirl@hrt
11-13-2001, 11:32 PM
I'm finally getting to listen to the whole thing all the way through (hectic day and hectic night lol). Right now I'm listening to "Pushin' Up Daisies"...wow...powerful. It has a real cowboy feel to it like Night Rider's Lament and Cowboy song...love it.

Ok Rodeo or Mexico just came on...cool :) Oh, and He and Trisha are just awesome on Sqeeze Me In.

CC

RckyMtnGirl@hrt
11-13-2001, 11:34 PM
Oh almost forgot...My kids still think WUIY is simply THE best:D That's another reason I didn't get to listen to the whole thing earlier. They kept hitting #3 over and over... :)

Oh gosh...now it's "Don't Cross The River"...lol. looks like I'll never be able to pick a favorite lol. Garth doin' blue grass..my oh my!:D

CC

honky
11-14-2001, 03:14 AM
Oh.. I am surprised to read that many of you like "Rodeo and Mexico" and "why ain't I running" ..lol

My top three are:

1)Thicker than Blood
2)The Storm
3)Don't Cross the River (tie with Mr. Midnight)

excluding the ones on the radio..

Tommy

KindanewGarthfan
11-14-2001, 10:27 AM
This is soooo hard I LOVE them ALL, and now im going to have to choose.
Well 'Why aint I running' just hit me between the eyes, I don't know what it is about the song, maybe a bit of it has to do with the 'That Summer' style, but there was something about it that the first time I heard it I just thought, this song rocks. But then I also love 'Squeeze me in' and 'Rodeo or Mexico' both of which are just such a blast to listen to, and make me grin. Then 'The Storm' is just fabulous.
Oh Boy I just love them all, the album is just fantastic, I can't get enough of it.

Garth you ROCK buddy, thanks for such a fantastic album

Hannah:)

alwaysgarthfan
11-14-2001, 11:38 AM
Hi all!!!!

This is a tough one :):) But I have to say at this point, it is "The Storm", it may change by tomorrow, but for now, that's the one. I've been married for 5 years but that song reminds me of old heart aches that I thought I'd NEVER get through, but did. And now 5 years of marriage and a baby girl later, I'm doin' just fine:) I hope other young girls(and guys) get inspiration from this song and the strength to move on past their heart aches:)

I haven't visited in a while, I will be sharing with you all and learning from you all about "The Man" more often now and I can't wait!

Garth, as usual, you've "WOWED" me...I love it!!!!!!! I will always be a Garth Fan!!!

C'ya,
Amy

boppityboo
11-14-2001, 11:50 AM
I'm not ready to pick a favorite yet. :) I love them all, and they're all too new to me right now to decide. I've only had it for 18 hours and 7 of those I was asleep. lol. Very cool to see everyone else's though. I will probably have a different favorite every week. Depends on the mood.

Ellie :)

sandytoo
11-14-2001, 12:33 PM
WYCBTMA is my original favorite. As far as ones that I hadn't heard until I bought the CD yesterday, it has to be Why Ain't I Running. Figures that I would like this one since Kent Blazy and Tony Arata are co-writers on it !!

Lowell Miller
11-14-2001, 03:32 PM
I will have to say "The Storm" too...Kelly Ray I thought the same thing...about the Christmas thing...There is a part in "The Storm" where he sings the same as he does in one of his Christmas songs. I can't remember which X-mas song. :confused:

Big Money is :cool:

garth_fan_03
11-14-2001, 04:16 PM
i guess i'd have to say my fav. song is still beer run, but i'll end up liking something else more in time :)

~MiSsY~

wmcinnis
11-14-2001, 06:55 PM
This is pretty tough at this point, but if I had to pick one right now it would be "Thicker Than Blood."
It's that James Taylor feel and the message of the song that's grabbed me.:)
The one I can't really get a grasp on is "Pushing Up Daisies." This was one of the first ones I listened to when I put the C.D. on and it's not what I expected at all:( The lyrics are great, but I think I expected a softer tone to the song or something. The tone of voice seems to me to be too harsh for the message it's relaying, IMO. Who knows, maybe it'll grow on me.
-Susan-

AussieLisa
11-14-2001, 08:58 PM
I don't know my favourite song yet cause I have to wait til Monday to get the CD :(

I'm so jealous of all of you! Will let you know later....

Lisa :)

AgainstTheGrain
11-15-2001, 03:31 AM
squeeze me in ;)

why aint i running

thicker than blood

rodeo or mexico

and the radio stuff like beer ..wrapped and wycbtma

oh and the storm;)

serling307
11-15-2001, 06:48 AM
My God, I have to say that Scarecrow is the best I think I have ever heard from Garth. I'd definitely put it up there with Ropin' the Wind and No Fences, or any of his big ones . . .it's like a perfect balance between all the styles he has tried out from time to time.

Let's see . . .

Why Ain't I Runnin'?
The Storm
Thicker Than Blood
Mr. Midnight
Pushing Up Daisies
Rodeo or Mexico
When You Come Back to Me Again

It's tough, but I think "Pushing Up Daisies" is my favorite - closely followed by . . . well, all of them . . . but "When You Come Back to Me Again" has a lot of personal meaning for me . . .
so does Pushing Up Daisies . . .I love the part where he says he feels like he's going crazy but it's better than pushing up daisies . . . and it just says it so simply - two dates they carve in your stone, when you're through here, and ironically, what really matters is that little dash they put in between them . . .

garth_fan_03
11-15-2001, 10:21 AM
i guess the thing with me and garth :) is that i can listen to his songs and just learn to love them. i love all the songs garth has ever come out with and i will love all his new ones once i learn them too.

~MiSsY~

nscrfan3
11-15-2001, 07:08 PM
Well, its kinda hard to decide which one I like the most. Scarecrow has been burning a hole in my cd player since I got it. I think Pushing Up Daisies and Why Aint I Running are my favorites right now. I love the message that Pushing Up Daisies has. Very hard to choose though, since I truthfully love every one of them. Great Album.

D.J.

Jules
11-15-2001, 07:41 PM
I just got the album a couple of hours ago - it was suppossed to be released on the 12th here in Denmark - then the release date was moved till the 19th - but then by pure coincident I saw it in a store tonight :) WEIRD!!!

But I was very excited - and hurried home and I'm now on my 3rd listen... First impression is that this is a VERY good album - "Why ain't I running" really strikes a cord with me - and also "The storm" and "Mr. Midnight" :)

On the downside is "Beer Run" (I hadn't heard that one before!) and "Pushing up daisies" - and "Don't cross the river"... Those 3 I'm not too crazy about yet but they might very well grow on me :)

Oohh... but his voice is amazing... I won't be able to turn off the stereo tonight to go to sleep ;)

Betina --> who is kinda extatic right now :)

addicted2garth
11-16-2001, 10:26 PM
After reading everyone else's favs, I guess I'm in the minority. My favorite song is "Pushing Up Daisies" with "Rodeo or Mexico" coming in a real close second. I really liked "Squeeze Me In" too.

"Why Ain't I Running" sounds too much like Bob Seger to me. I didn't really care for "Don't Cross the River" or "Big Money". But, all in all, I really think Scarecrow is a GREAT CD. I've only listened to it a few times so far, and I already like or love almost all the songs.

Lori

lilmissy
11-19-2001, 10:21 AM
The first time I heard the cd, every song that came on I said, "This is my going to be my favorite." (except Beer Run, I think hearing it live first ruined it for me too) It is very hard to choose. I think my favorite is "Why Ain't I Running?" I already loved WYCBTMA and WUIY. I agree that Thicker Than Blood has a great James Taylor sound. I love that song too. And Squeeze Me In is definitely one of my favorites. And The Storm... Oh no, here I go again. :rolleyes: I can't choose. I love them all. ;)
Melissa

Jilco
11-19-2001, 08:19 PM
Well i think i will have to go with the 'storm' fans, I just love it..... followed by a close 'Rodeo or Mexico'. It's funny because after buying all Garths CD's through the years for some reason I loved all the songs of this CD right from the start. Maybe it's playing at the back of my mind that this maybe GB's last CD or just the fact that 'Scarecrow' really does stand out on it's own from all of the previous ones.

:) Simon

boppityboo
11-19-2001, 09:20 PM
So far, my favorite is The Storm. I just love if for some reason. I love them all, but The Storm is what I will rewind and listen to it again and again. My kids love it too and love singing with it. :) So far, here's what I like. Subject to change many times, lol:

The Storm
Mr. Midnight
WYCBTMA
Thicker Than Blood
Why Ain't I Running
WUIY
Pushing Up Daisies
Rodeo or Mexico
Beer Run
Squeeze Me In
Don't Cross the River
Big Money

I cannot get enough of Scarecrow. Poor Kaitlyn,(my daughter) she just got the new Britney CD and she doesn't get a chance to listen to it.lol. Sorry, kiddo, mom rules the cd player. lol

Ireland2001
11-19-2001, 09:52 PM
Rodeo or Mexico
Pushing Up Daisies
Don't Cross the River

SueMc
11-21-2001, 10:30 AM
Hi folks :)
I enjoyed the whole album, and will give it a good review, but my favourite is "When You Come Back To Me Again", no contest. I loved the film "Frequency" it was a great idea, and explored quantum physics, time running in parallel lines etc. but I also love the spiritual aspect of coming full circle.

Other favourites are the lively "Beer Run" with the legendary George Jones (still a top favourite in the UK), "Rodeo Mexico" "Big Money" (those words are so true!) and "The Storm".

It deserves the success it has already achieved. Top spot!
Hope it is as successful in Europe.

All the best
Sue

AussieLisa
11-21-2001, 08:32 PM
Ok I'm back with my verdict. I've had Scarecrow now for 3 days and these are my favourite songs. Sorry, like a lot of other people I couldn't pick just one!

Wrapped Up In You
Mr Midnight
The Storm
WYCBTMA

In that order...I think!! Well that's today's order anyhow, tomorrow it will probably change again. :)

Lisa :)