PDA

View Full Version : Scarecrow's only fear is the Music's only hope: A Lighted Match

fuzzwuzz
11-13-2001, 01:32 AM
We interrupt the regularly schedualled program for some 'breaking' news...:)

"Is she gonna strike the match that will surely light the flame?
Is she carrying a torch of love in vain?" (Chris Gaines request of his Fan through an Unsigned Letter)

"I'll tell you a secret...there is only one thing in the world I am afraid of...it's a lighted match." (Scarecrow's confession to Dorothy)

I know anticipation is high for Garth's newest and biggest CD release in years but, hello, may I have your attention for a minute please? I'll try and make this as brief as possible. Chalk it up to how I fell hard into the mystery through Chris Gaines Unsigned Letter, but did you see what just transpired there? Maybe a long familiar song of Garth's will help us out.

Standing Outside The Fire
Written by: Garth Brooks, Jenny Yates

We call them cool
Those hearts that have no scars to show
The ones that never do let go
And risk the tables being turned

We call them fools
Who have to dance within the flame
Who chance the sorrow and the shame
That always comes with getting burned

But you've got to be tough when consumed by desire
'Cause it's not enough just to stand outside the fire

We call them strong
Those who can face this world alone
Who seem to get by on their own
Those who will never take the fall

We call them weak
Who are unable to resist
The slightest chance love might exist
And for that forsake it all

They're so hell-bent on giving ,walking a wire
Convinced it's not living if you stand outside the fire

Standing outside the fire
Life is not tried, it is merely survived
If you're standing outside the fire

There's this love that is burning
Deep in my soul
Constantly yearning to get out of control
Wanting to fly higher and higher
I can't abide

Is this risking getting burned anything to ask of a miss-goody-two-shoes, or a Plain Jane, (as Garth keeps describing her even now, as he looks into writing movie scripts?) And what of this Joe Schmo Scarecrow? huh? What business does he have talking about taking such a risk?

And then there's that movie we all know and love too, and one of our favorite scenes when Dorothy risks all to save Scarecrow and her friends, seemingly everybody, anywhere and everywhere she goes or ends up actually...

"Curses. Curses. Somebody always helps that girl. But shoes or no shoes I'm still brave enough to conquer her, and all those who try to stop me...I can't wait forever to get those shoes...how about a little fire Scarecrow?...Ahh, you cursed brat! Look what you've done! I'm melting!!...Melting!!!...What a world!..What a world!!..Who would have thought a good little girl like you could have destroyed my beautiful wickedness!... Ahh, look out!!..Look out!!!.. I'm going!!...ohhhhh!!!!....." ~The Wicked Witch of the West~

Going, going, gone! Who would have thought indeed! Dorothy's torch of love extinguished not only the Wicked Witch's ignited broomstick, also made of meer straw like Scarecrow, but destroyed the fire's source, her beautiful wickedness herself! That evil witch's consuming desire for what Dorothy had could never even hold a candle against that kind of true love that wears no disguises, because it is always displayed openly and shamelessly, and flows just like a River.

What a world is right! No wonder Chris Gaines is so willing to get out of music's way! Why Garth says "he's(Chris) gotta go." And why that 'Joe Schmo' Garth needs that 'Plain Jane' Fan to rescue him too. Because there's a lot behind the music that's still at stake. And more that Dorothy had to do, a final request, for the Wizard on everybody's behalf, if they were all to ever go home happily ever after. "Just do what you said you'd do", I've heard Garth say. "If you were really great and powerful you'd keep your promises," Dorothy says. When she found out The Wizard was a phony did that stop her? Or is it what ended up saving them all?

Someone(Joyce) recently said about Faith Hill's tears of joy for her husband(Tim McGraw) upon his winning the CMA Entertainer of the Year Award, that you can't fake that kind of emotion even on TV as was shown on her face. I'm here to tell you kind of the same thing, that you can't fake that kind of emotion like Garth has for that plain Jane throughout his music. She's what makes Chris seem almost real. And Garth's music so real too. Because the true source is real. As we listen to the new cd, may we look for and see the real love that's behind it like never before. And get completely wrapped up in it like Garth is. I mean, is it downright contagious or what?!!

I think I'm enjoying this cd immensely already. But you pre-Chris/Garth fans are about the craziest people I've ever met when it gets near time for a 'Garth event.'! At least I wasn't too late for the ride. Is this about the biggest party in town or what?!!! I'm glad I finally made it. Thanks for having me. I'm sure looking forward to surviving my first real Garth release with yous all!!! Now back to our 'regular' schedualled program! Garth! Garth! Garth! ....

Love one another, (with Garthlike passion), Dale R.

"Love flashes like fire, the brightest kind of flame. Many waters cannot quench love; neither can rivers drown it." (Song of Solomon 8:6-7)

jstensig
11-13-2001, 04:17 AM
You lost me in the middle but I think I got your message at the end.;)

There is nothing as when a new Garth album arrives - nothing!

Jakob

fuzzwuzz
11-13-2001, 01:23 PM
It's ok Jakob. I'm lost too. And just trying to stay focused on what drives the music on down this road. Good thing we are not the one doing the driving!